Thread: just about got the r12r set up for touring

just about got the r12r set up for touring

stuck some risers on the 'bars. like 'em

got one of those battery condition/volt meters. stuck it on the back of the windshield (for now)

Last edited by f14rio; 03-12-2011 at 03:15 AM.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Nice set-up. Looks like a great, lighter-weight bike that's ready for any kind of touring!
    Last edited by ridewv; 03-12-2011 at 02:30 PM.
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Nice:)

Many happy miles and smiles coming with this rig, I'm sure. Many "THANKS" to ya too, for whatever you did to earn that plate. I was looking at used R1200R'07 at my dealer the other day with really low miles and it looked like brand new. Tempting! Not sure I could warrant another, but did like it a lot. RandyGSA1200

All you need is a motorman's friend.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

My Motorrad

GREGFUESS
    Not sure what the previous two guys are recommending you do on your bike, rio! Nice setup on the R12R. One thing that comes to mind is conspicuity lights - front and back. I like reflecting tape on the bags, but active lighting such as 3-way hyperlights or other is good, and something along the lines of motolights or other generally received high ratings for safety.

Beautiful bike, ride long and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponch1 View Post
    Are you guys really serious????
    Jim Mock
    2008 R1200RT (The Blue Mule), R90/6 (New to me)
    MSF RiderCoach
    "Spring loaded to the riding position!"

Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot View Post
    Are you guys really serious????
    Some obviously are...
    My Motorrad

GREGFUESS
    Rio, how do you like that Corbin seat? I have an All Day Seat, and wish I had kept the BMW Low Seat that came with the R12R. The Russell puts me too high up, I am calling them tomorrow to see what, if anything, they can do about that.

I have the Corbin on my R as well and it does add a bit of height. Part of the height gain effect is due to the seat being wider. I imagine Corbin will work with you to keep the seat lower, but it was not an issue when I ordered.
    Last edited by AKBeemer; 03-14-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by gregfuess View Post
    {snip}...I am calling them tomorrow to see what, if anything, they can do about that.
    Happened on my RT. I worked with the technician who built my seat and he modified the original build and took down a bit of the height and width. However, this was the last "free" alteration since the seat now varies so much from their standard build. Fine with me. Seat is now a good height and I'm a happy camper. RDL will work with you and, of course, being polite but firm help as well. These are good folks.
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

corbin seat

its fine except for seat height as mentioned. 5'10''/30"inseam.
    hate backing up

GREGFUESS
    I spoke to Russell, and told them that I purchased the RDL used, and Russell's attitude is buy a new seat, despite the fact that they list modifications for $150 on their website.

Somehow the modification cost is for those who purchased the seat new. So if you spend $450+ on their seat, and it still needs modification, that will be an additional $150. Whew, what a business!

No wonder the seat requires modification. Wish I kept the original seat, it was as comfortable, and I didn't shell out $350 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gregfuess View Post
    {snip}...Somehow the modification cost is for those who purchased the seat new. So if you spend $450+ on their seat, and it still needs modification, that will be an additional $150...
    @gregfuess

Actually, that $150 is an out of "adjustment period" modification charge. The original purchaser is given 2 "free" (you have to pay to ship it back) seat adjustments within an 8 month period. If the seat still doesn't fit correctly, it can then be returned for a full refund. If you are the original owner, keep the seat, and it subsequently needs adjustment, the $150 adjustment fee is charged. Also, materials and workmanship are guaranteed for 18 months to the original owner.

IMHO, these policies are reasonable for a custom made seat. Seats are fitted to the original owner and may not be sized correctly for a second owner. The second owner's size might dictate a complete seat rebuild (different width, spring, foam, etc.).

There are some original owners who just can't be fitted to their liking; thus the return clause. There are others who object to the shipping costs associated with refitting. All valid issues. But there seem to be more folks who are pleased with their purchase and the level of customer service they are given at RDL. Count me as a fan.

You may want to inquire about an experienced individual in your area who might be able to make modifications and "fit" you in person...
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i