Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The New R1200RT

Thumbs up

After a few more years and 40>50 thousand miles on my present ride the new RT would seem to be the logical next step for me. I like to buy a machine that has been produced for at least 2 years hopefully, avoiding glitches that seem to arrive with a new model. I plan on retiring in 2012 so the timing will coincide with my preferences.
    Ride safe

Sugary sweet prose

If I had the slightest glucose intolerance before reading this, I would be a brittle diabetic after. Gotta love their improving on the already supreme.

I did not read any mention of the amazing, disintegrating final drive seals. I did notice the ever increasing list of options. Gotta overcome that US$/EU$.

Buy one, ride it, and let me know how it works.

Jim

Exclamation

Could it be this line was lost in translation?

Knock control allows the engine to run on 95-98 RON premium (plus) fuel.

Are We trying to say the hex head motor runs good on 87-89 octane but better on premium fuel - only?

Premium fuel & Cheap BMW Riders? Gasp!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_D View Post
    Could it be this line was lost in translation?

Knock control allows the engine to run on 95-98 RON premium (plus) fuel.

Are We trying to say the hex head motor runs good on 87-89 octane but better on premium fuel - only?

Premium fuel & Cheap BMW Riders? Gasp!
    I don't think that's what it means. First of all, understand that EU fuels numbers (RON) are different than US numbers ((R+M/2)). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

What they are saying is that the use of anti-knock techniques in the engine computer allow the bike to take advantage of higher octane, while still allowing the bike to run on lower octane.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    The new ESA II sounds interesting.

I had ESA on my RT and thought it was great.

I got ESA II on the GT, (assume it will/is the same for the '10 RT), and there is a noticable difference, in a better way.

The various ranges are much more noticbale and what i think is better is that the settings cover a wider range.

For example Rider + Luggage on ESA I would get too harsh/choppy if riding slow w/o saddlebags

On ESA II i can leave it on 1 + Luggage w/o saddlebags and it does not become choppy, stiffer yes but still compliant.

I think all the model year changes are great.

Yes you have to deal with the UJM turn signals, and the urine sample reservoirs but you get over that quickly, at least i did.

Enjoy your new RT folks, it's going to be awesome!!
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jimshaw View Post
    I don't think that's what it means. First of all, understand that EU fuels numbers (RON) are different than US numbers ((R+M/2)). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

What they are saying is that the use of anti-knock techniques in the engine computer allow the bike to take advantage of higher octane, while still allowing the bike to run on lower octane.

Jim
    Jim, Thank you for explanation.

JAMESDUNN
    Quote Originally Posted by jimshaw View Post
    If I had the slightest glucose intolerance before reading this, I would be a brittle diabetic after. Gotta love their improving on the already supreme.

I did not read any mention of the amazing, disintegrating final drive seals. I did notice the ever increasing list of options. Gotta overcome that US$/EU$.

Buy one, ride it, and let me know how it works.

Jim
    Jim, BMW press releases always read that way, "sugary". Do they want to make last years model seem obsolete? Hey you bought last year, but buy again this year, this year's model is 200% better! Why, that is practically an antique you're riding!

Too true, James. But in all fairness we could not expect them to say, "hey, our new product really isn't that much better than last year's model, you are well to keep what you own".

The point of press releases like this is to build excitement, agreed?

Mr. Shaw has a long standing distain for press releases cut and pasted into ON. In most cases I agree that in ON weÔÇÖre looking for the information with analysis and criticism included.

On the forum his post is more of a hijack than a discussion of the content of the release. I obviously have no problem with posting a press release in the form BMW or others published it getting it out there for discussion. The member discussion is where I expect the analysis and criticism of the releaseÔÇÖs content. We see and overlook different things. We bring differing needs and experience to the discussion.

The sugar shock wording of the press release is part of its content, I will grant him that, but forum area is Motorrad so to my eye it is more of a hijack. Press releases have all sorts of purposes depending on the reader. Here I had hoped the discussion would stay on the new bike, its features while avoiding the mandatory digs at BMW press releases and final drive problems with other models.

YMMV
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

JAMESDUNN
    Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    Too true, James. But in all fairness we could not expect them to say, "hey, our new product really isn't that much better than last year's model, you are well to keep what you own".

The point of press releases like this is to build excitement, agreed?
    Agree. Creative writing is expressed in press releases and, that is as it should be. What press release would say, for example, "The new 2010 RT, a boring bike for the masses! Featuring second rate technology and weak performance!" And as noted by Mika, Jim and myself have wandered off topic. The new RT is truly a marvelous machine and representative of some of the best design and engineering available. Hey, I am not knocking the new RT. I want BMW to do well and have a successful intro. of the new RT. Wish I could afford one, though it is not yet anyway, my type of machine, it would be nice if BMW still had an RS style bike to offer in the oilhead line. I wish they had not folded their tent with the removal of the R1200ST, really the end of the RS oilhead line. But, I am happy riding old or buying used as long.... as I am riding!
    Last edited by jamesdunn; 11-07-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Add thoughts.

I think it is also important to remember that the press releases are written for the general public, not just BMW aficionados who know the intimate details of every yearly change. Thus the release mentions all the features of the bike, not just those added this particular year. That fact seems to confuse some, evidenced by comments like "but the '08 model had that, too". Yep, and the '07, and '06, etc.

It can be hard to tell what is actually new from a press release. Bring up the specs for the various years side-by-side and you'll get a better, but still incomplete picture.

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Love that the RT keeps evolving and the Boxer lives on!

'02 R1150RT

wharthog
    Yes you have to deal with the UJM turn signals, and the urine sample reservoirs but you get over that quickly, at least i did.

Enjoy your new RT folks, it's going to be awesome!![/QUOTE]

I'll never look at those reservoirs the same way....

JPONIKTERA

Harley stays forever, but,,,,,,,,,,,

I have pretty much decided to get a loaded 4-cam rt. last boxer was a new '77. i promised myself a new one when abs came out on a twin. never did it. the 77 was pretty much magic. never broke, never fell down. i will keep my loud and nasty harley deuce forever. when i was younger, i went years without a car. i intend to pretty much use the 2010 rt for all 1 person stuff,,,, travel, grocery shopping, whatever. i don't have to go to work anymore. don't have to.
    i read a lot. i haven't seen delivery dates for the 2010 r1200rt. retail prices.
    extended warranty options. local dealer said business is booming.
    i find that hard to believe, don't you? how many are willing to pay $25,000.00
    for a bike, lose $10,000.00 just driving off the lot? i will, because i know
    exactly what i want, but i wouldn't expect to pay full list. plus 10% sales tax.
    anyone have any idea when the new bikes hit the floor? thx, jp

On the Road
    I'm also planning to purchase a 2010 RT. One dealer I talked to said they would be getting them in Jan., another said first of Feb. As far as pricing, I was told it would be about the same as 09' but the option groups would be a little different. Both dealers have discounted 09s in stock, and have had the same bikes since I started looking back in August. Which makes me wonder how much their business is booming. I agree on the pricing, I'm not going to buy until they have a decent promotion, which probably won't happen until the 09's are gone. But since it was -10F here this morning, I can wait them out for awhile.