Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The New R1200RT

Be wary of the new....

I have read a number of reports siting a flaw in the new K1300GT. Stalls for no apparant reason. From my understanding, this is a new engine as is the 2010 RT. I have a 2006 RT and love the bike however, I would be wary of buying the 2010 without a little "wait and see" attitude. Am I wrong in thinking this way?
    I have to admit, my father was a mechanic and he always told me not to buy a new car (didn't ride bikes then) when it first comes out. Give them time to get the bugs out.

I was actually considering trading in my RT for the GT but this info changed my mind. Maybe in 2011.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by LONERANGER56 View Post
    I have read a number of reports siting a flaw in the new K1300GT. Stalls for no apparant reason. From my understanding, this is a new engine as is the 2010 RT. I have a 2006 RT and love the bike however, I would be wary of buying the 2010 without a little "wait and see" attitude. Am I wrong in thinking this way?
    I have to admit, my father was a mechanic and he always told me not to buy a new car (didn't ride bikes then) when it first comes out. Give them time to get the bugs out.

I was actually considering trading in my RT for the GT but this info changed my mind. Maybe in 2011.

Tom
    Regarding the stalling on the GT, yes there have been reports, mine has stalled on occasion, others more some less.

Somethings are in play, a recall on the switches, a Throttle Body cleaning and now a software update.

All things being equal I love my GT and it is an awesome bike - the new RT looks great especially with the new paint job.

YMMV - and no regrets getting the GT other than having to give up the RT, would have liked both in the garage

2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Tom
    I think caution makes sense. However; mechanically the engine is not new. It has been lifted from teh HP2 Sport. What is new, as far as I know at this time, is the mapping for the engine and some of the other specs.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

K1300gt

Thanks for the input guys. The corrections on the GT are good to hear. I love the looks of that bike. I just bought an F800ST and was looking at a really sweet one in the showroom when I picked it up. Maybe next year I'll think about giving up my RT although, I do love it. I went out on Saturday and it was a bit chilly but the ride was great non the less. (I love riding when it's colder. You hear less of the guys with the loud pipes if any.)

Going from the RT to the GT I would miss one thing: The Radio. I love it and it makes the time go and is great when you're in traffic or just on a boring road.
    Did I mention it sounds great too?

Tom L.

Going from the RT to the GT I would miss one thing: The Radio. I love it and it makes the time go and is great when you're in traffic or just on a boring road.
    Did I mention it sounds great too?

Tom L.

Ram mount, a Garmin GPS with XM and some iPlugz custom earphones will cure that problem quickly, and a lot cheaper than a BMW radio
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Caribbean Druid
    This link will get you the pics on the bike

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/ga...-r1200rt-7.php

Caribbean Druid
    As for GT stalling, it is an issue with both the K1300GT and S models. BMW is issuing a recall beginning in January, under the watch of NHTSA. Check the Wedge-K forum for more info on this one.

Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    Doug, thanks for the link. Nice pics.

I've been slowly warming up to the appearance of the R1200RT. The styling of the 2010 settles it for me - it's now a good looking bike.

It's surprising what a few subtle changes with body panels can accomplish in terms of overall appearance. BMW pulled this off with the wedge K-GT as well.

This is good - if I'm still capable of riding by the time I wear out my R1100 there should be a nice selection of post 2010 RTs to choose from.
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: FY K100RT, '80 XS850 with Vetter Quicksilver, '67 Bonnie, '66 Honda 90

E_Page
    Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    What is a "superior" sound??????????????????
    I live on a road that is part of a popular ride route in my area. I get tired of all the 50 something year old teenagers riding their HDs (and japanese HD knockoffs) with the straight pipes. The darn things are louder than the logging trucks that also use the road.

For me, the QUIET superior sound of the BMW was a big factor in choosing the brand. I hope that doesn't go away.

Me likes.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Caribbean Druid
    It's official. My wife and I went down to the Beemer shop today and she plunked down her deposit on a 2010 R1200RT. She ordered up a low suspension, tri-color model with all the bells and whistles. She has fallen under the spell of the Dark Side of the Force...heeeheeeheee...

Quote Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
    It's official. My wife and I went down to the Beemer shop today and she plunked down her deposit on a 2010 R1200RT. She ordered up a low suspension, tri-color model with all the bells and whistles. She has fallen under the spell of the Dark Side of the Force...heeeheeeheee...

Congratulations!!!
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator