Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Seeking Helmet Advice

Quote Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
    Try any kind of foam upholstery cleaner and then go over with clean wet paper towels. Allow to dry. Mine comes out almost new. Since I now use a helmet liner it really gets as dirty as it use to,
    I'll do that. Thanks.
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

I have a Nolan 103. It is pretty noisy. I wear glasses al the time and always put the helmet on or take it off with eyeglass removal.

The plus to the Nolan is really that it is a modular helmet. The liner comes out. IT has the built-in sunshade and it comes with fog shield that at least for me works great from a fog point of view.

Negtives: very noisey. An a lot of the noise comes from the sides where the shield attaches. You can place your hand lightly over either side and hear HUGH difference. I must open the helmet to put it on. Then once on, I must stick my hands up in side the sides the adjust the foam around my ears as they tend to "fold" and stay in that position until I relocate them - not so comfortable. The fog shield uses pins to hold it in place. But after a while, the shield "changed". The best way to describe it is as if the plastic it comes wrapped up in when new permanently left marks on the fog shield. Only it did not look that way when new. Had to replace it.

The fog shield seemed to scratch the main shield after a while because dirt gets between it and the main shield. Then one of the pins in the shield fell apart, so I had to replace the main shield.

I really have nothing negative to say about the internal visor. It seems to work fine and I really like it. The main shield could use a bit more help in the ratcheting mechanism as if it only partially closed a big gust of wind will close it.

Would I buy another one. No. Well maybe if I could find one that was not so noisey. I either wear ear plugs or wear noise reducing ear buds should I want to listen to sat radio on the Zumo. They both help.

I'm not sure anyone makes a perfect helmet. IT seems to be one of those things I tell myself that they are designed by engineers. And I don't want to make any engineers mad, so if you are one, don't take this personally. But I have never found a product, created or at least designed by an engineer, that could not be improved upon, simple by giving it the intended user and asking them to "fix it."

So maybe we should all just get together and make our own helmet. Then we would probably learn why it seems so hard for a really truly good one to be made.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Kind of off topic, but....

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    You could get the Shoei and wash your HEAD more often!
    I know you're just being light-hearted, but I'm pretty serious about removable liner. I live in north Texas, sweat like a pig, and commute on urban highways in 100+ degree heat and high humidity from June through August, and 90+ for most of May and September. I wore Shoei's RF series helmets for years. They were superb yet decently priced helmets. But after a couple of months they stunk to high heaven. I tried all manner of cleaning most of which worked a bit. I even put a cedar block under the helmet overnight to sop up the odor. But nothing really worked well. So, in the spring of '06 I sprung for a Shoei X-11 which cost a pretty penny. But I can wash the liner. After nearly four years and 50,000 miles the helmet is showing wear and tear, but it doesn't stink.

I'll probably replace the X-11 in the spring, and thank goodness Shoei's newest RF, the RF1100, finally has removable liner! That's what'll replace my X-11.

Maybe I'm just sensitive to helmet grunge, and maybe if I lived where its cooler and drier it wouldn't be a big deal. But for my circumstances a non-removable liner is a deal-breaker.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Quote Originally Posted by mistercindy View Post
    Kind of off topic, but....

I know you're just being light-hearted, but I'm pretty serious about removable liner.
    "Light hearted" is being kind. In retrospect, the correct description would be two words, the first being "smart".
    Sorry, didn't mean to make light of it. Some people do find me a bit abrasive at times. No offense intended.

Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Stinky helmets

While I have seldom ridden in the extreme heat and humidity that Mister Cindy experiences in Texas, my first helmet smelled bad enough after a few months that I hated to put it on. Then at some rally I bought a Sliks helmet liner. Easily washable, dries quickly. I've never since wanted to remove the helmet liners for cleaning and, in fact, didn't realize my Shoei RF 1000 helmet did not have removeable liners until I read this thread.

These liners are pretty cheap and may be a partial if not complete answer to disgusting smelling helmets. The only downside is that it makes putting my glasses on a little more difficult.

Then when I have the liner on, helmet on and buckled, glasses finally inserterted so the earpieces are actually over my ears, gloves on, bike started, and realize... I forgot the earplugs, so I have to start all over, well... I, of course, have learned from the experience. I now only forget to install the ear plugs about a third of the time. Same with removing the glasses before the helmet. I'm not sure this is going to get better.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Rally Rat

Get a fitted helmet - Arai

I've been using flip up helmets but I'm going full face next year. The main reason is that the full face is much better in the event of a crash. I like the flip up ability to talk at stop lights and ease at putting on my glasses.

What really sells me on Arai is the free fitting service they provide at the rallies. When it fits you can get your glasses on and the air vents work much better.

I have 3 helmets that (I thought) fit me. I'm glad I learned about helmet fit before spending another few hundred dollars.

Rally Rat
    Forgot to mention:

Inside of the helmet is modular and can be cleaned or replaced. Most helmets wear out on the inside. With the Arai, you can order the liner parts by size and get your fitted helmet new again.

I also fell in love with the inner sun shade feature. I later found that I am just as happy with that tinted, $5 transparent strip that goes on the shield.

Helmet manufacturers say there helmet is 'good' for 5 years after manufacture. On the race track, they check your helmet for the date stamp and if it is over 5 years, you can't ride (at least at VIR). So, look at the date stamp (usually hidden but it's on the helmet inside under the padding or on the chin strap up under the padding, etc.) and get one that is new. You'll often see helmets at a store with 2-4 years of age on them right on the shelf. I demand a helmet with no more than 6 months age on it since I use them on the track.

Robo
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

I am just too tight to throw away my Schuberth helmet-I don't give a hoot what the year of mfg says! I like it too much to part ways. I just started reading my new Jan./2010 Rider magazine last night and the front inside cover has a two page ad on the new Arai helmet. Not a flip like mine, but has a great story line to the ad.Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by zoridog View Post
    I've been using flip up helmets but I'm going full face next year. The main reason is that the full face is much better in the event of a crash. I like the flip up ability to talk at stop lights and ease at putting on my glasses.

What really sells me on Arai is the free fitting service they provide at the rallies. When it fits you can get your glasses on and the air vents work much better.

I have 3 helmets that (I thought) fit me. I'm glad I learned about helmet fit before spending another few hundred dollars.
    I tell you what. I got fitted by the company selling ARAI at the San Mateo show & WOW, what a fit difference over EVERY helmet I have ever tried. If other helmet companies spent this much time & money to make the helmets fit & trained people this well, what a difference we might see. I had tried ARAI at shops before & never had one fit me. Someone who really knew how sure made a difference.

To the dude that had an X-11... the X-11 has a removable liner.. you can wash it...

I have a Shoei and a Nolan... just bought a cheap... "black friday sale" Scorpion for 60 Bucks...

in all honesty i think we over rate helmets... most would do the job.. . the features may play a bigger role...

I could be an idiot...

Pete in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by zoridog View Post
    The main reason is that the full face is much better in the event of a crash.
    What is the basis for this, test results or speculation? I've never seen any authoritative test results that say a flip face does not perform as well as a full face.

ExMaTprinLowerAlabama

Scorpion Transformer

I've just order this Scorpion helmet. It too is approved for use as both a 3/4 and full face helmet. It is also approved by both DOT and ECE! It won't arrive until Wednesday but I'll let you know what I think of it! I just finished a late fall Cape Cod to Mobile trip so I feel I'm competent on long trip comfort ;-)!

warredon
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanGene View Post
    I've just order this Scorpion helmet. It too is approved for use as both a 3/4 and full face helmet. It is also approved by both DOT and ECE! It won't arrive until Wednesday but I'll let you know what I think of it! I just finished a late fall Cape Cod to Mobile trip so I feel I'm competent on long trip comfort ;-)!

Be sure to give us your opinion on the new Scorpion. I've had one of their EXO-700 helmets for two or three years and am shocked how much I like it. I bought it mainly because of the fog free shield and am pleased with just about everything about the helmet. I am now considering their new modular model for my next helmet.

Helmet advice

Thanks for all the help. I did research especially WebBike for their reviews.

I bought a HJC IS modular helmet on line. Reasons for the choice were:

1. I have a HJC modular first generation now and thought that sizing would be similar. It was, the new helmet gives me a good fit.

2. I wanted a modular helmet. Before the helmet I was riding with a buddy and we stopped to discuss where to have lunch. It was then I realized that a modular helmet was nice.

3. Despite WebBike's comments I can put on and remove the new helmet with my glasses on with no problem.

4. I didn't get a chance to use it much and now the bike is put away until spring. The Nov. sun is quite low and so I think I did test the ability to shield the sun. I purchased the helmet with two shields, a clear and tinted. With the tinted shield in place and the sun shield lowed, I found that I could ride into the sun without being blinded.

I am posting my experiences not to sell HJC (I don't really care what helmet you have) but merely to help others looking to purchase a new helmet. Technology has made new helmets much better than they were and I would imagine that to be true across every helmet line.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Karl