Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's This?

Talking What's This?

Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Bob
    Looks like a VW powered BMW: Twice as many cylinders, valves & pushrods, and even less power.

A peice of junk, that is what it is.

VW engine? 1980 wheels, only thing BMW about that is the frame and tank.

Who cares? If it runs and the owner enjoys riding it, it doesn't matter how it is powered.
    Robert
    2010 Suzuki GSX1250SEA
    ÔÇ£If you get in too far over your head, remember - full throttle and make it spectacular!ÔÇØ http://www.yearroundriders.com

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YELLOW_S View Post
    That's harsh

Looks like a trick side car rig to me.

The engine looks more like a Porsche unit than a VW. (Any Porsche afficiandos out there?)
    Last edited by ALIENHITCHHIKER; 09-13-2009 at 01:33 AM.
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: FY K100RT, '80 XS850 with Vetter Quicksilver, '67 Bonnie, '66 Honda 90

JAMESDUNN
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbagazoo View Post
    Who cares? If it runs and the owner enjoys riding it, it doesn't matter how it is powered.
    Plus, it is still boxer powered! And, unique.

JAMESDUNN
    Quote Originally Posted by ALIENHITCHHIKER View Post
    That's harsh

Looks like a trick side car rig to me.

The engine looks more like a Porsche unit than a VW. (Any Porsche affcicandos out there?)
    I have owned Porsche and VW, but I am unsure. I am only sure it is a boxer engine. Must say though, I like it a lot.

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    I was so intriqued by this rig that I snooped around a bit on the net.

It does indeed appear to be a VW power plant with EMPI valve covers.
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: FY K100RT, '80 XS850 with Vetter Quicksilver, '67 Bonnie, '66 Honda 90

Remember the Amazonas?
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Those are Honda Comstar wheels, circa 1980 or so IIRC. And those look to be calipers and rotors that would have come on the same bike.

Bet that rig stops better than the one behind it in the first picture.

As my daughter always reminds me "at least they are out there riding".
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

Rally Rat

You don't have to like it - you don't have to ride it but you have to give the guy that put it together a lot of credit for their skills. I appears to be a bike that is ridden and well used. In a world where for most "working" on their machinery consists of putting on a cool sticker this creation is a breath of fresh air.

This is an interesting shade tree conversion. Can you imagine going to the parts store and asking for engine parts$%^&^***&. Someone mentioned it looks more like a Porsche vs VW, what's the difference? I was a parts manager for a Porsche/Audi dealer in the early 80's and believe me the 914 and the bug shared many components. Agreed, if the fellow that owns it enjoys it good for him/her.
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

BUBBAZANETTI

you competing with drummerdude for the "young and grumpy 2009" award?

John D'oh

...and other sundry parts:

There was a company or individual who offered a kit to convert a 50's BMW airhead to VW power. I want to say that it was called “Suburban Machine” and they did have an advertisement in the mid 70’s in our BMW Owner’s News. However, there still is a company by that name and I don’t know if they are one and the same. I like the VMW by the way. I would...I love to butcher BMW's :-)

The kit consisted of a cast, machined aluminum ring to adapt the BMW transmission to the VW engine and other sundry parts. The frame had to be modified as one might expect (and heavily as I recall), but for some reason, I seem to remember the OEM BMW transmission input shaft was a direct fit for the VW clutch hub which is probably how the whole project got started. I have seen several used as sidecar pullers. Even one set up as a solo machine.

My R50/2 produced around 24 hp. I believe that the R60/2 made about 30 hp. and the R69S was 42 and I may be generous in my estimates. Whatever the MAX power from the OEM engines, the VW conversion fell somewhere in the lower end of that range ( maybe 26 hp), so it was not a particularly good trade overall particularly because of the increase in complexity and service requirements.

Yes...the disc brakes are a HUGE improvement over the BMW drum in this application and especially in this case since the VW engine makes the rig heavier. If there is any judgment one can make about this machine it is that the rig's maker succeeded! It is still running. It is an interesting exercise in ingenuity which makes it fun to look at and it exists in such small numbers as to be considered rare. The small numbers indicate it was not particularly successful and that is one test of a design. It was developed at a time of the introduction of the /5 series BMW's and people were moving on to new bikes by then.

Thanks for posting the photo's...
    Last edited by s09rwmb; 09-26-2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: To add: I have no idea why one would go to the trouble either...
    John D'oh

Rally Rat
    Showing my ignorance here, but if the horsepower was no better, why add the extra weight and complexity? Torque improvement? Just because he could? Just curious, I like to see customization, especially on the mechanical side, not just cosmetics.