Page 74 of 120 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1789

Thread: Bench Racing & The Morning Reads

Moto GP & Moto 2

I watched and waited to see what if anything interesting would happen in both series.

Moto 2 : very good race , except for the blind officials who failed to penalise Marquez for running Luthi off the track on purpose. That was IMHO an uncalled for and dangerous move. But that's the way Marquez rides, he is a bit of a wild child and may end up like some other riders who manage to get on the bad side of his racing competitors.

Moto GP : sadly the CRT's ran like expected, 5 seconds off pace and got very little TV coverage except at the very end .
    I think we are in for a two class series for sure all season unless some magic in the rules happens.
    The real GP bikes had a good battle and I would have sworn Stoner's arm pump was a bunch of hooey to cover up his tire abuse. It was pretty obvious that Lorenzo kept race pace but better tire management and in the end it proved to be the better strategy.
    Ducati had a good day only due to Hayden's fantastic grit. Some pundit said that he doubted Rossi would finish the season on the bike unless he/they can come to grips with what ever ails the bloody thing. I would be surprised if that happens , but the bike is a long way from even being close at this point. I also think the aluminum chassis is more of a hindrence than a help.

Tuesday, 10 April

Members with Birthdays Today

motogp

fim-live.com: 'Amazing raceÔÇØ - Lorenzo

motomatters.com: Qatar post race roundup

ultimatemotorcycling.com: Qatar MotoGP ÔÇô Bridgestone review

cycleworld.com: Richard Stanboli & Attack Performance to build CRT MotoGP bike

FWIW: Some interesting comments in 40427's post.

Did anyone really expect the CRT machines to do any better at this point? I really doubt they will contend with the front runners but as the season progresses I can see them knocking off some of the back markers. Two tier racing? Yes. Yet I like the CRT idea in general just don't think they have the formula down.

Ducati GP12 will cause season long speculation. I am curious if you have more detail on why you think the aluminum frame is the problem. For my part, I agree it is currently a problem but more form a refinement standpoint than the wrong design/material. The change to metal was more than going back to past materials; it was a major shift in the direction of development and design team. I have to wonder if Ducati, as sophisticated as they are, is big enough to be able to make that kind of shift and not have major hiccups in the process.

What follows may be heresy but I wonder if Rossi is the right rider for the Ducati team? The sport will miss him greatly if he leaves to go endurance racing or retires. Will Ducati?

motogp: 2012 race calendar | Results and Statistics

Formula 1

formula1.com: Mercedes on cracking their tyre conundrum

formula1.com: China preview quotes: HRT, Pirelli, Marussia, Sauber & more

jamesallenonf1.com; How the F1 teams will approach the Chinese Grand Prix

bbc.co.uk: Bahrain's Gulf Air facebook page 'hacked'

reuters.com: Home made bomb injures seven Bahrain policemen

Various group continue to question F1 going to Bahrain as the situation deteriorates

telegraph.co.uk: Worried teams are ready to pull out of troubled Bahrain Grand Prix

Formula 1: 2012 Race Calendar | Results Season/Team/Driver
    fia.com: 2012 FIA Formula One World Championship - Race Information & Event Starting Times for the 2012 FIA Formula One World Championship

Other Racing

twowheelblog.com: Valentino Rossi to take part in another car endurance race

Woodcliff Lake, N.J.  April 9, 2012*Following a four-week intermission after BMW Team RLLs GT class victory at the 12 Hours of Sebring American Le Mans Series curtain-raiser the second act of the teams ALMS GT class title defense will be set in the streets of Long Beach, California on April 14th...[url=https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclub/p/us/pressDetail.html?outputChannelId=9&id=T0126117EN_US&left_menu_item=node__787 ]MORE[/rul]

On the Street

smartcycleshop.com: 2012 BMW G650GC Sertao review

cyrilhuzeblog.com: El Fuego drag race bike

dealernews.com: Former auto dealer pins future hopes on electric motorcycles

indiancarsbikes.in: Harley-Davidson India to set up dealership in Goa

thekneeslider.com: Deliberate practice on the way to being great

motorcycle-usa.com: GPS motorcycle theft recovery device

FWIW

spiegel.de: Confusion at the pumps ÔÇô Big Oil's strategy for jacking up gas prices

Reference::

BMW MOA 2012 International Rally

SBK
    2012 FIM Superbike Championship Calendar

FIM

Changes to the FIM Superbike, Supersport and Superstock regulations for 2012:
    Some more details of changes to the championship regulations were delivered by the FIM in a press release.

FIM: Official Documents
    Link to the current year official documents for all classes and search tool for other years.

FIA Regulations ÔÇô Formula 1 World Championship

WEATHER
    US:
    http://www.weather.gov/ | NOAA's National Weather Service
    Select to go to the NWS homepage. National Weather Service - or - Follow the National Weather Service on FaceBook

http://www.weather.com | Sedalia, MO 65301

CA:
    http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/canada_e.html

ROAD CONDITIONS
    US:
    http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/ : National Traffic and Road Closure Information
    511 - America's Traveler Information Telephone Number; Construction Related; Local and State Transit Links; Traffic Conditions; Regional Links; Weather/Road ...

CA:
    http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/drivebc_supp/canada_map.htm :
    Canada Road Condition Information: Links to provincial highway condition websites across Canada..

Shameless Trolling For Touring Tips

NHTSA.dot.gov Vehicle Recalls RSS

Governor's Highway Safety Association. ghsa.orgHighway safety law charts

SportRider.com: Motorcycle Riding Skills Series ÔÇô Street bike and motorcycle riding skills techniques articles at Sport Rider

BMW-Motorrad.com: Service
    Electronic Parts Catalogue
    Download Manuals
    Breakdown Dictionary
    Tyre Options
    Tips
    Before every journey
    Before a log trip
    Before winter
    How to clean your motorcycle

ascycles.com: BMW Motorcycle Service and Maintenance Schedules

mic.org: Motorcycle Industry Council | Tire Guide 2011.pdf

Gasbuddy.com: Search for local gas prices along your trip route.

pure-gas.org: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. And Canada

Cycle-ergo.com motorcycle ergonomic simulator.

Video: BMW Final Drive Disassembly

Woot of the Day

MSF Motorcycle Operators Manual

TIP: Always use both brakes every time you slow or stop. The front brake is safe to use if you use it properly. P.13 http://t.co/jLCSL9Kj

QOD: Which of the following correctly applies to eye protection? http://t.co/sj5iiRgw

Bike Candy

For more pictures and information on today's truffle check out BikeEXIF.com

Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

My comments about the aluminum frame are just thoughts , not based on any sound engineering principals.
    Ducati is known for using the engine as a stressed member of the frame, maybe that's where the problem lies. At any rate the Ducati does not seem to hook up well getting the power to the rear and to the ground, and i don't think it's all down to the electronics.
    The Honda and Yamaha appear to be hooking up much quicker and getting a stronger drive out of the corner.

Just read that Richard Stanboli of Attack racing plans to build his wild card entry
    ( and potentially BMW engines in the future) using aluminum frames. Other CRT builders are using aluminum . So there must be something good there, just not sure what it is at the moment.

Would love the opportunity to look at a Honda or Yamaha frame drawing compared to the Ducati to see what the differences in design are.

Rossi is in a bad place right now, maybe due to the loss last year of Marco Simoncelli, his Ducati team and he are not on the same page sadly. I hope they get it worked out or we may see him leave for 4 wheels sooner than anticipated.

I am a real fan of Moto GP and all the road racing classes. It's early days and it's going to be a great season. NAPCAR could take some lessons here

The street buzzed when Ducati began to patten it's road going version of the GP09/10. The main benefits of the frame are lower weight (a saving of at least five kilograms is envisaged over the existing road bike frames), greater rigidity, and greater design freedom. The application can be found here.

My guess is they found the weight savings and design freedom imagined but found the gain in rigidity was to great. Chassis design has always been a balance between building a flexible flier v truly rigid bike. The flexible flier has problems putting power down while having some strong pros and cons in the corners. The rigid bike can put the power down better but will be very unforgiving in the corner. Balance is the illusive goal.

Here is a picture of the aluminum Ducati frame.

As time permits, I will keep searching but if someone else has other drawings and pictures of the Ducati and other marques please share.

Back in the day when we campaigned a Suzuki GS1000 in AMA Super Bike, it was not uncommon to break frames in various places during the season.

We picked up a "used Yamaha TZ750" the frame was a bit wanky from previous incidents.
    We decided to brace it by adding some struts in a couple of places after looking at what Eraldo Ferraci was doing with his Ducati's , and John Winter had done with his Moto Guzzi's.

Our frame was certainly stronger ( not sure about it being very straight) but we broke the back bone at the steering head one day.
    Talk about an interesting ride !!!!!

Never did come to grips with that monster, I think Kenny Roberts was right about that evil thing.

Chassis dynamics is a black art, those that say they understand it are not always to be believed IMHO.

Nice picture of the new Ducati , THANKS !!

Good stuff.

You bring back days when we seemed much freer and willing to experiment. Engineers will give you the science and math but tuning a chassis and suspension is art. Gusseting, bracing and triangulating for strength v trimming tabs and unneeded sections to save weight were the black art of tuning frames in the day. Lord save the poor sod on the bike or in the cockpit of the car if it went wrong.

mgcn.nl: Dr John 2v Racer – an article on a dutch website.

Ferraci is still fast ferraci.com

motorcyclemesum.org: 1975 Yamaha TZ750 Kenny Robert's dirt track racer

Look at the skinny tubing on that rear swing arm and frame v today's massive units.

superbikeplanet.com: Yamaha TZ750 – Where legends began

I have managed to have a great time while almost getting some work done.

Oh wow , the memories !!

Dr. John had this girl Gina ( don't remember her last name) rider , she was a weapon in disguise. Very nice lady to boot !!

Spent some time listening and trying to understand Eraldo explain how things worked. Some times his English eluded many of us, but I think that was part of an act and his charm.
    His piloto; as he called him at the time was Jimmy Adamo. We were all sad when Jimmy died at Daytona. A terrible end of a great talent.

Last I heard , our old TZ750 was in the care of Nick Ianatch the moto journalist.
    I rode it a few times but never came to grips with it and was better suited to my TZ250.

Have pleasant memories of being a front, to middle of the pack, club racer , who occasionally had moments of brilliance and got up there with the fast guys. Did not take this old Detroit boy long to decide I was not supposed to be up there. Those guys are aliens IMHO !!

Every time I go to a vintage race and come home all excited. SWMBO tells me that even though I have the spirit to get out there with the old farts dragging parts. If the AMA starts allowing old guys with bum tickers to compete she will have another plan, and it probably does not include me and will cost me a lot more money.

Wednesday, 11 April

SBK

worldsbk.com: Melandri moves forward with S1000RR in testing

FWIW: Sportrider.com Suspension Tuning Guide gives a nice overview of the issue to understand the problem any rider faces to get the suspension set up to work for them and their ridding style. The article comes at it from a sport rider perspective but gives a nice overview discussion of all the components. However, there are major differences in the challenges sport riders and factory racing riders like Melandri and his team face in setting up suspension.

For the street sport rider the road is dynamic while the bike is static. The street rider is traversing frequently changing surfaces and conditions. Concrete to black top and back and forth between them. Within the same surface material you can be confronted with different ages of what you are riding over giving different grip characteristics and more. While the street is dynamic the bike static in the sense you will be using the same suspension bits, tires and electronics for extended stretches of the riding season. Sorting out the various settings for dampening, ride height, electronics and all the other bits and pieces till you have the set up you want can be great sport and can burn up a set of tires in the fun. A new set of the same tires will require a few tweaks to get the job done. Change tire selection may require a bit more refinement to get you to the point you want. That is half the fun.

For a Melandri and his BMW team the reverse is true in many ways. True track surfaces vary from track to track. Yet within one track the rider and team will be faced with a surface that has all been laid down at the same time. Allowing for problem areas of the track surface you may, unlike their street counterparts, assume a single consistent surface condition as you th the setup compromises. The bike is the dynamic component for the racing team.

When we open the garage door we are confronted with the bike, tools of the trade and a limited, if any, set of alternate suspension parts. For the factory racer the team unpacks on Thursday while he is at the press shows. When he walks through the garage doors he is confronted with a bike and a huge pile of parts. Various springs, shocks, swing arms, forks, triple clams and constantly changing and refining electronics. SBK bikes may be production based bikes but at this level they are the development bikes for the yearly iterations produced for us. History will help you sort through the pile to come up with solutions to questions of which parts and settings works best on that given track for a given racing weekend. That brings us to tyres.

Limited only by the strength of our wallet, we may select tires from a variety of brands and compounds. Conversely, factory teams have huge wallets but are limited to one brand, all be it with a variety of compounds, but with a very limited number of these for testing, practice, qualifying and racing. Racing compounds are the rarest of these and thus increases the challenge in testing to recreate a racing problem while working within the confines of the tyre allotment allowed by the rules.

Once all the parts and tyres are sorted out for either team member it should be a simple case of setting both team bikes up the same way. Haslam does not seem to be complaining about chatter so just have Melandri use his setup. The parts are the same and could be sorted out the same way and off we go racing. Right? This is where street and racing come together; the human element.

In the Corser/Xaus era of BMW SBK racing Xaus found himself on a bike set up for Corser on several occasions. Crashes race weekend or just setting the base line lead to this. No big deal right? Wrong! Several times over their time together Xaus observed that the suspension setup that really worked for Corser on a given track yielded a bike that was 'unrideable' for Xaus. The team of Haslam/Melandri appears to be much more closely aligned in skill and potential; yet, the too are different riders with very different riding styles requiring individual set ups.

The news in the WorldSBK release is encouraging. Melandri and his crew appear to have made a break through. Now the challenge is to build on that. Haslam's physical recover is very encouraging for fans following the fortunes of the Roundel racing team. The best news may be for the production line workers and the street riders lurking in the dealer showrooms. The S1000RRv1 was a bench mark bike. That mark has been moved in the right direction with the S1000RRv2. The factory teams are keeping this going. The racing S1000Rv2 was the season base line. Melandir's test bike is a S1000RRv2.025. The team will field the V2.03 at Assen. Things look promising on the racing side and bode well for more improvements in further S1000RRvX.

Now if only my knees bent like the did once upon a time and my wallet was thicker I would be sorting out the chatter problem on my RR instead of listening to the chatter of my keyboard while writing this. But those are other stories and dreams to be told over a large cup of coffee from the Official Fly-Over-Land coffee stop where for a buck you will get change and free parts like sugar or cream to refine the cups setup to your drinking style.

WORLDSBK: 2012 Race Calendar | Championship Standings Rider / Manufacturer

motogp

motogp.com: Edwards hails great job from team

motocycledaily.com: Valentino Rossi out of excuses after Qatar performance.

visordown.com: Rossi ÔÇ£I can't ride this DucatiÔÇØ

motorcyclistonline.com: Moto Guzzi V8 icon

Formula 1

formula1.com: Ferrari still almost a second off the pace

formula1.com: Q&A with McLaren's Paddy Lowe on rules, tyres and upgrades

speedtv.com: Matchett ÔÇô More challenges ahead for Ferrari

racer.com: Bahrain chief blames 'scaremongering'

speedtv.com: FOTA says FIA not teams must make Bahrain call

fia.com: 2012 FIA Formula One World Championship - Race Information & Event Starting Times for the 2012 FIA Formula One World Championship

Other Racing

Biandronno, 9th April 2012 ÔÇô The Husqvarna Motocross Team By Ricci Racing had a tough start to the World Championship on the Dutch sands of Valkenswaard where the opening race of the MX2 championship took place. Ale Lupino on his Husqvarna TC250 notched up the best result finishing in 13th place in both of the races held...MORE

FIM-live.com BMW Motorrad France Team Thevent head to Magny-Cours for this weekend's 76th edition of the Bol d'Or determined to get their 2012 Endurance World Championship campaign off to a flying start.

On the Street

BMW Motorrad had a record first quarter but in the UK...
    motorcyclenews.com: Honda CBR1000RR-FIREBLADE outsells R1200GS in March.
    The big GS has been the leading bike in the UK what seems like years. Okay liars figure and figures lie but either way dealers sold more Firblades [CBR1000RR] than R1200GS'.

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Saxon motorcycles is for sale

indiancarsbikes.in: 2012 BMW F650GS launched, India price 999 lakhs
    XE.com: exchange rates

jsonline.com: Analyst says Harley-Davidson sales will improve with better economy

motorcycle.com: Brammo Empulse finally headed for production

The Mothership

MORE

Cage World

Surfs up!

FWIW

Woot of the Day

TIP: When you drink alcohol, the first thing to go is your judgment. So when youÔÇÖre riding ÔÇô DUH ÔÇô donÔÇÖt. P.55 http://t.co/jfDAORhW

QOD: Which is true of riding in staggered formation with a group? http://t.co/vYxQ3hxt

Bike Candy

An interesting pair from Le Container

Thursday, 12 April - Late abbreviated edition

SBK

worldsbk.com: Marinellis view of new Panigales first racing steps

worldsbk.com: New Crescent FIXI Suzuki Squad comes on in leaps and bounds

motorcycle-usa.com: Five questions with Tom Sykes

visordown.com: Lascorz remains in intensive care [ based on press release 11 April]

motogp

motogp.com: Ducati Rossi marriage on the rocks?

gazzetta.it[: Vale ÔÇô Ducati face to face needed . The image of both is at stake

gpone.com: Ago ÔÇô A private team isn't Rossi's answer

Formula 1

FIA.com: Grand Prix of China
    FOM Circuit Map
    FIA Circuit Map

Thursday Press Conference

formula1.com: China preview quotes

formula1.com: China preview ÔÇô who can spring a Shanghai surprise?

formul1.com: FIA rejects Lotus protest over Mercedes wing
    FIA Documents: Protest, Decision

formula1.com: Q&A with Nico Hulkenberg

formula1.com: Susie Wolff joins Williams as development driver

express.com: Teams meet to discuss Bahrain

bbc.co.uk: F1 teams expect Bahrain Grand Prix to be called off

Other Racing

fim-live.com: SERT takes early lead in qualifiers ÔÇô [Bol d'Or]

indycar.com: Barrichello gets extra time at certain tracks

They want to do it again: BMW Team RLL returns to Long Beach
    ..MORE

On the Street

amaproracing.com: Tech ÔÇô Thread lock

SBK

FIM

Some more details of changes to the championship regulations were delivered by the FIM in a press release.

Link to the current year official documents for all classes and search tool for other years.

WEATHER
    US:
    Select to go to the NWS homepage. National Weather Service - or - Follow the National Weather Service on FaceBook

CA:

ROAD CONDITIONS
    US:
    http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/ : National Traffic and Road Closure Information
    511 - America's Traveler Information Telephone Number; Construction Related; Local and State Transit Links; Traffic Conditions; Regional Links; Weather/Road ...

CA:
    Canada Road Condition Information: Links to provincial highway condition websites across Canada..

SportRider.com: Motorcycle Riding Skills Series ÔÇô Street bike and motorcycle riding skills techniques articles at Sport Rider

Download Manuals
    Breakdown Dictionary
    Tyre Options
    Tips
    Before every journey
    Before a log trip
    Before winter

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

IOMTT ÔÇô Driver challenges abound.

Friday, 13 April

SBK

worldsbk.com: Joan Lascorz update

crash.net: June date scheduled for Checa Panigale test

worldsbk.com: [18 year old American] PJ Jacobsen with Bagdanka at Assen

motogp

motogp.com; Ellison pleased with positive weekend

cycleworld.com: New MotoGP tire debuts at Jerez

Formula 1

FIA.com - Chinese GP
    Stewards Biographys

formula1.com: Sebastian Vettel Q&A ÔÇô Red Bull wins are just a matter of time

reuters.com: Webber speaks up where others stay silent | Bahrain

But:

formula1.com: FIA announces Bahrain race will go ahead

Chinese GP ÔÇô Practice 1 Hamilton tops damp session

First Session Classifications
    First Session Lap Times

But - fia.com Hamilton takes grid penalty
    formula1.com: Lewis Hamitlon Q&A ÔÇô Fighting back from a five place penalty should be fun

Chinese GP ÔÇô Practice 2 Schumacher pips Hamilton to set the pace
    Second Session Classifications
    Second Session Lap Times

formula1.com: Friday Practice ÔÇô Selected team and driver quotes

fia.com: Friday Press Conference
    TEAM REPRESENTATIVES ÔÇô Matt MORRIS (Sauber), Antonio CUQUERELLA
    (HRT), Dave GREENWOOD (Marussia), James ALLISON (Lotus), Paddy LOWE
    (McLaren), Pat FRY (Ferrari)

Other Racing

fim-live.com: Eventful free practice at the Bol d'Or

gazzetta.it: China ÔÇô everything points to McLaren. Alonso: We are like ants

racintoday.com: Jim Hall Blew 'em away in paddock, on tracks

Munich, 12th April 2012. BMW Motorsport and technical partners Castrol EDGE, today unveiled Augusto Farfus (BR) as the driver of the Castrol EDGE BMW M3 DTM for the manufacturerÔÇÖs first season in the series for twenty years. The 28-year-old Brazilian will be competing in the number 16 Castrol EDGE BMW M3 DTM for the yearÔÇÖs eleven race events...MORE

indycar.com: Chevy to change 11 engines - entries will be penalized

On the Street

jsonline.com: Motorcycle runs on vegetable oil: pass the french fry grease, please

thekneeslider.com: Garage life feeds your workshop fantasy

moneycontrol.com: 2012 BMW S1000RR ÔÇô first ride
    FWIW: Not new ground but new site for BMW's S to conquer

motorcyclenews.com: Own a bespoke classic BMW cafe racer

visordown.com: Riders wanted for BMW GS Trophy [GB Team]

Cage World

roadandtrack.com: Porsche buys Nardo

FWIW

SBK

FIM

WEATHER
    US:

CA:

ROAD CONDITIONS
    US:

CA:

Download Manuals
    Breakdown Dictionary
    Tyre Options
    Tips
    Before every journey
    Before a log trip
    Before winter

Woot of the Day

TIP: Where you ride in a lane may vary, but always, always avoid riding in another vehicleÔÇÖs blind spot. P.16 http://t.co/jLCSL9Kj

QOD: When parking in a parallel parking space next to a curb, which of the following is true? http://t.co/LQn2kZLZ

Bike Candy

Saturday, 14 April

motogp

motomatters.com: After a week of rumors Rossi tells Italian TV he will stay with Ducati
    FWIW: For now. With ex's and Rossi you never know for certain.

motomatters.com: Casey Stoner explains how to slide a MotoGP bike

motogp.com: Capirossi appointed BMW m MotoGP expert
    FWIW: don't get all excited.

MotoGP Rewind – Qatar

Formula 1

Friday Leftovers

fia.com: Vettel happier with older spec Red Bull RB8

fia.com: Ferrari to face a major overhaul – Fry

fia.com: Lotus moves on from 'DDRS' protest

gazzetta.it: Montezemolo optomistic “Ferrari like little ant”

formula1.com: Friday analysis – are Mercedes really in the hunt?

Saturday P3 and Qualifying Chinese GP

P3 Classifications
    P 3 Lap Times

formula1.com: Final practice – Hamilton heads McLaren one two
    The McLaren boys showed up at the end of the session and took it away from the Tri-Star gang.

Qualifying
    Classification
    Lap Times
    Maximum Speed
    Sector Times
    Speed Trap

Qualifying Notes
    Q1: Perez and Sauber top the field at the end of Q1. Red Bull has split their cars with Webber taking the latest version and Vettel the older. Webber as the edge in qualifying. Less than a second cover P1 to P17. P18 -24 are knocked out after Q1 but Karthykeyan in P24 is just shy of being two seconds quicker than the 107% pace so there will be a full field. Stewards are investigating various block allegations. Grid penalties could be handed out.

Q2: Webber jumped to P1 on his final flyer to take P1 in this session while Vettel was ten slots behind in P11 and will not advance to Q3. Massa P12 will join him at the bar but ant Alonso P10 squeaks into Q3. Ferrari had not be expected to get a car into Q3. The Mercedes and Saubers best the McLarens and the Lotus tandem are just ahead of Alonso. Less than three tenths of a second separate P1 and P10 as the session ends.

Q3: Hamilton takes the early lead with Schumacher in P2. The board jumbles as others post times only to have Hamilton and Schumacher head the field on their second flying laps for the first round of qualifying laps in this session. At the halfway mark Rosberg pits on top of the board while Webber comes out for his first runs. Rosberg remains in the pit while everyone else is on track trying to best his time of 1:35.121 a full half second faster than Hamilton in P2 when the flag falls and people are making their final flyers. No one can and Rosberg takes the pole for Mercedes. Hamilton's gear box penalty translates his P2 qualifying effort into a P7 on Sunday's grid. This promotes Schumacher to P2 and gives Mercedes the front row.

Many interesting story lines for Sunday. Mercedes has clean air qualifying pace but do they have racing pace this weekend? How will the Red Bull split work out? Webber opted for qualifying speed but Vettel felt the old spec car better balanced. Will balance and strategy move him up in race conditions? Parked on row 5 waiting for the red lights to go out Alonso is in position to bring home a little bit for Ferrai once again. Toss a pair of Saubers and Lotus into the mix for some spice and the seeming dominate McLarens will be lined up in P5 and 7; not the anticipated 1,2.

More penalties could be handed out mixing the field a bit more. For now it is a Mercedes 1,2 front row for the 2012 Chinese Grand Prix.

Other Racing

motorcycle-usa.com WERA cancels Talladega National

asphaltandrubber.com: Bol d'Or qualifying results

cycleworld.com:: The Circuit of the Americas marks a construction milestone

On the Street

thekneeslider.com: Rediscover lost knowledge : The concrete lathe

motorcycle.com: Michigan mandatory helmet law repealed

motorcycledaily.com: A beautiful hoax | 2013 Harley-Davidson FXDX

motorcyclenews.com: James Toesland gets back on two wheels with Harley-Davidson

visordown.com: Six words, three half truths

webbikeworld.com: 2012 Honda CRF 250

The Mothership

FWIW

speigel.de: 'We read best on paper' : Cultural resistance hobbles German ebook market

SBK

FIM

FIA Regulations – Formula 1 World Championship

WEATHER
    US:

CA:

ROAD CONDITIONS
    US:

CA:

SportRider.com: Motorcycle Riding Skills Series – Street bike and motorcycle riding skills techniques articles at Sport Rider

Download Manuals
    Breakdown Dictionary
    Tyre Options
    Tips
    Before every journey…
    Before a log trip…
    Before winter…

Woot of the Day

TIP: Never use your throttle and front brake at the same time except when matching the RPM during a downshift with a short rev or blip.

QOD: Which of the following is true of making eye contact with other drivers? http://t.co/FvClLdvE

Bike Candy

Last edited by Mika; 04-14-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Sunday, 15 April

Formula 1

Qualifying Leftovers

Qualifying Press Conference

fia.com: Magical day for Mercedes
    formula1.com: A look at Merccedes' rear wing

fia.com: 11th palced Vettel banks on race pace

formula1.com: Red Bull RB8 oldstyle exhaust setup and the standard exhaust setup Webber will be using.

fia.com: Sauber welcome qualifying gains

orlandosentinael.com: Alonso says usual suspects will fight for Formula 1 title

speedtv.com: F1 Grand Prix news briefs

RACE:

Look for a post this evening with all the numbers, press conference transcripts and more. Till then here are my race notes. I am off to bed.

Formula 1 Chinese GP Race notes

The Mercedes had qualifying pace but do they have race pace? Can Hamilton overcome his five spot grid penalty? Which RB8 spec will be the quicker in race conditions. Will Lotus be a factor in more than the first laps of the race? These are a few of the story lines to follow.

The story lines to follow expanded overnight. Toro Rosso driver Jean Eric Vergne will start the race from the pit lane. The team made changes to his car after qualifying P18. The change needed was worth incurring the required penalty. Trough be told it can be something of an advantage in some cases.

The red lights come on as the field lines up on the grid after the formation lap. Red then green and the race is under way.

1/56
    Rosberg and Schumacher hold position with Button Raikkonen and Hamilton in tow. Hamilton has made short work of the penalty. Webber is falling back to P9 from his P6 start. Vettel is headed in the wrong direction in the race standings too.

3/56
    Rosberg still in the lead and going purple with each lap. A 0.7 second lead has grown to 1.6 seconds.

4/56
    Vernge is listed in P20 after his pit lane start.

The field is tightly bunch. 15 seconds split P1 and the current P15 of Maldonado.

7/56
    Webber dives into the pits to switch to mediums. A very early stop for him.

8/56
    Webber is listed in P20 but his sector times are lighting up purple then he sets a new best lap. The tire change may have been worth it but how will he cycle when others make their stops? Meanwhile up from Rosberg is 4.7 away on Schumacher who is leading the parade behind him.

10/56
    The board lights up as several drivers head into the pits to make changes. Mediums appear to be the choice for the second leg of the race.

Hulkenberg takes a new nose along with his tires during his first pit stop. There is a story there but I don't know what it is.

11/56
    Vettel made a pit stop a lap ago for a set of mediums and now goes purple setting the new best lap.

13/56
    Schumacher pits. Rosberg still out on the track is shown with a 9 second lead over Perez currently P2.

Rosberg pits. How will the Silver Arrows cycle through the field?

Perez and Massa are P1 and 2 currently but have yet to make their first stop.

Rosberg has settled in to P3 behind them while teammate Schumacher has parked it on the side of the track and is out of the race. Replays show problems during the pit with the front right. Tire problems it would seem. The team may get penalized for an unsafe release.

16/56
    Perez pits from the lead.

17/56
    Rosberg passes Massa for the lead and promptly goes purple.

19/56
    Massa pits and now the front 10 have all maade at least one pit stop.

Lap 20
    P1-10: Rosberg, Button, Hamilton, Webber, Raikkonen, Alonso, Kobayashi, Grojean, Vettel and Perez. Rosberg's currently showing a 4.7 second lead on the field.

21/56
    Webber pits. He will rejoin in P14. This sets off another round of stops.

Rosberg is not pulling away. The McLarens are matching or slightly bettering him in each sector.

23/56
    Hamilton pits from P3 returns in P13.
    Button is now 4.3 seconds adrift of Rosberg.
    Webber goes purple. He is currently in P14.

25/56
    Button pits for another set of mediums. Rosberg should pit shortly. He has an 11.5 second lead over the new P2 Raikkonen. Time will tell.

26/56
    Hamilton has been pressuring Massa and finally makes it past for P11 throwing the Ferrari into the clutches of Webber. P 7 Button goes purple on his new set of tyres.

27/56 .
    Webber makes his way around Massa. Alonso pits from P3 and takes a set of softs.

At the half way point Rosberg is in the lead with a 16.4 second lead over Grojean in P2. Neither has made the second pit stop. Vettel was in P3 when I began this sentence now Button has mad it past him. Vettel pits right away.

The field is cycling their pits stops in a very strung out fashion. Positions are being traded based more on pit stop timing that track performance.

31/56
    Venge P16 goes purple with a 1:41.417
    32/ 56
    Button goes purple with a 1:40.908! The lead is down to just over 12 seconds for Rosberg. When will he pit?

33/56
    Vettel's turn to go purple.

34/56
    Hamilton is defending from Webber.

35/56
    Rosberg pits. Webber pits too. Not having to defend Hamilton begins to attack Perez for P3.

Rosberg rejoins in P2 9.5 seconds behind Button. Hamilton makes it past Perez as he pits. Hamilton is 4.3 seconds adrift of Rosberg in P3. Alonso P4 is 0.7 seconds behind him and charging.

37/56
    Rosberg is listed 8 seconds behind Button. Live timing is speculating on pit stops remaining. Will Button have to pit one more time? That is there estimate. Rosberg may be able to make it to the end without another stop forcing Button to take him on the track instead of the pits.

39/56
    Button pits. Problems in the pit and he returns in P6.

41/56
    Button passes Grosjean for P5. Massa currently listed in P2 has yet to make his second stop. This gives Button another slot without a fight on the trak.

42/56
    Massa pits. Rosberg is showing a 22.2 second lead over Raikkonen in P2. 3-10 currently are Vettel, button, Grosjean, Webber, Senna, Hamilton, Maldonado and Alonso. From 2-10 there is a second or less between each car.

43/56
    Alonso makes a mistake. Perez takes advantage of it collecting P10 in the process. In the points paying positions The McLarens and Webber have made 3 stops. The rest have made two and are big question makes about making it to the end.

45/56
    Rosberg is showing a 24.1 second lead. With 11 laps to go do you dive into the pits and pick up new tyres or dial it back and conserve the ones you have? The latter strategy has the dual advantage of less risk while baiting the train behind to fight each other for position.

46/56
    Mercedes is urging Rosberg to take care of his tyres. The strategy may be set. May being the key.

Raikkonen is in P2 25.5 seconds behind the leader but Vettel and Button are within a second of him.

48/56
    Vettel and Button make it past. Raikkonen is off line in the process and gives up position to Hamilton the Webber. Next Gosjean and Senna make it past and he keeps falling down the grid.

50/56
    Rosberg's lead is 25.1 seconds. Vettel in P2 and less than a second behind is Button. The remaining top ten are Hamilton, Webber, Grosjean, Senna, Maldonado, Alonso and Kobayashi.

51/56
    Button passes Vettel. Can he hunt down Rosberg in time? Unless Rosberg has a serious problem I doubt it. Can Vettel hold off P4 Hamilton? That may depend his defensive ability and how much pressure Webber can put on Hamilton. In the closing laps of the race this threesome will duel for P3.

54/56
    Hamilton makes it past. Vettel is 0.1 behind but as the sector times go up he is losing ground to the McLaren.

55/56
    Webber takes P4 from Vettel. Webber too does not show the sector times to catch Hamilton.

Rosber takes the chequered flag for a Mercedes victory! Button and Hamilton will fill the rest of the podium slots. The remaining points positions in order are Webber, Vettel, Grosjean, Senna, Maldonado, Alonso and Kobayashi.

Rosberg's Mercedes had race pace. One has to wonder where Schumacher would have slotted in if he had not had problems in the pits.

The McLarens remain strong and should go into the next round, where ever that is, as favorites.

Not much to choose between the versions of the RB8s. Webber may have finished ahead of Vettel but he only gained two grid spots in the end while Vettel moved from P11 to P5 in his race.

Ferrari's up hill struggle is underscored with Alonso's P9 and Massa's P13. Grosjean, Senna and Maldonado bested him; while Kobayashi, Perez and Di Resta slotted between him and Massa.

Alonso was a good 'ant' and brought a little bit home but not enough to keep the surprising lead he took to China. Hamilton takes the Driver Championship lead with Button just behind moving Alonso to third. Webber and Vettel are right on his tail.

Both Ferrari and Red Bull have a good deal of work to do when they get back home and the European tracks. Red Bull task seems more one of refinement while Ferrari is looking for full make over. Bahrain is between them and home.

Other Racing

fim-live.com: Sidecar Championship - PAIVARINTA & HANNI WINNERS IN FRANCE!

A concept bike that won't die on the web.

2012 BMW R12 Cafe Racer & Roadster design by Nicolas Petit photo compilation / More infos*http://petit-motorcycle-creation.over-blog.com*/ Many thanks designer NICOLAS PETIT / More motorcycle videoshttp://www.youtube.com/user/2012motorcycles

indycar.com: Briscoe sets record, Franchitti stats 1st

On the Street

motorsportwire.com: Ducati North America reports seven consecutive quarters of retail growth

asphaltandrubber.com: zecOO: An electric maxi-scooter from Japan

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Fast motorcycle industry news

The Mothership

[url=http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm?rcl_id=12V161000&searchtype=quicksearch&summary=true&refurl=rss]NHTSA Campaign No. 12V16000
    Dated: APR 05, 2012 BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 5-SERIES, 5-SERIES GRAN TURISMO, MODEL YEAR 2012 6-SERIES CONVERTIBLE, 7-SERIES, X5 SAV, AND X6 SAV VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 8- OR 12-CYLINDER, TURBOCHARGED, EN...

[url=http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm?rcl_id=12V166000&searchtype=quicksearch&summary=true&refurl=rss]NHTSA Campaing No. 12V188000
    Dated: APR 05, 2012 ROLLS-ROYCE IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 GHOST VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 8- OR 12-CYLINDER, TURBOCHARGED, ENGINES BECAUSE THE CIRCUIT BOARD FOR THE ELECTRIC AUXILIARY WATER PUMP CAN OVERHEAT.

Double podium for BMW Team Schubert at the N??rburgring.

FWIW

WSBK has talked about changing their format. The Bol d'Or video from Honda TT legends gives an idea of the more relaxed pit stops in endurance racing. Would flying pit stops for fuel and tyres work in SBK?

Penguin on a plane

Woot of the Day

TIP: Motorcycling excellence. You know the best defense to avoid trouble in traffic is to be skilled in the use of your eyes

QOD: What should you do to ride safely at night? http://t.co/554BqJ6h

Bike Candy

Check out Pipeburn for more information and bits of this candy

Racing Update: Sunday, 15 April

SBK

motomatters.com: Ten Kate Honda squad complete testing at Assen

Formula 1 RACE -

FIA Press Conference

RACE:
    Starting Grid
    Classifications
    Lap Chart
    Lap Analysis
    Fastest Laps
    Race History
    Maximum Speeds
    Pit Stop Summary
    Sector Times
    Speed Trap

From the official FIA.com news site:

Stewards fined Mercedes Ôé¼5,000 for their pit stop incident. The prompt action of the driver to park the car was taken into consideration.

Rosberg makes history with victory
    Red Bull fights back in China
    Grosjean makes his mark
    Double points finish for Williams

From the official Formula1.com news site:

Selected team and driver quotes

Other Sources:

bbc.co.uk; Lewis Hamilton will not take championship lead for granted.

Monday, 16 April

SBK

Assen Preview
    Munich/Stephanskirchen, 16th April 2012. Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport heads to the Dutch province of Drenthe for the next race weekend. The iconic ÔÇ£TT CircuitÔÇØ in Assen will host the third round of the 2012 FIM Superbike World Championship from 20th to 22nd April. The team, with factory riders Leon Haslam (GBR) and Marco Melandri (ITA), is looking to continue the fine form it showed in the opening two rounds of the season. ...MORE

motogp

mot-station.com; MotoGP 2013 ÔÇô Budget limits, Honda and Yamaha mixed

Formula 1

]formula1.com: China analysis ÔÇô Mercedes makes the breakthrough

Other Racing

fim-live.com: The SRC Kawasaki clinches the victory at Bol d'Or

fim-live.com: BMW S 1000 RR: DIFFICULT START TO THE 2012 ENDURANCE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

motoracinglive.com: A question of age
    Endurance racing is one of the few world championships where youngsters compete directly with riders aged 40 or more.* 

fim-live.com: Qatar Sealine Cross-Country Rally

espn.com: IndyCar ÔÇô Will Power exceeds expectations.

stayontheblack.com: Points and a podium finish for Buildabase BMW Motorrad at Thruxton

gazzetta.it: Difficult debut for Rossi ÔÇô Finished 18th in the rain at Monza

On the Street

cycleworld.com: Electric brakes ÔÇô The next revolution in motorcycling?

thejakartapost.com: Honda motorcycle sales up 75% in the first quarter.
    FWIW: world markets are improving for the big four

The Mothership

BMW Team RLL at Long Beach; Four Years ÔÇô Four Podiums
    Woodcliff Lake, N.J.  April 14, 2012*With a second place GT class finish by the No. 56 BMW Team RLL M3 GT in todays American Le Mans Series at Long Beach race, BMW is tied for the manufacturers point lead. The second podium of the young ALMS season for Joey Hand and Dirk M??ller solidifies their lead in the drivers standings...MORE

SBK

FIM

WEATHER
    US:

CA:

ROAD CONDITIONS
    US:

CA:

Download Manuals
    Breakdown Dictionary
    Tyre Options
    Tips
    Before every journey
    Before a log trip
    Before winter

Woot of the Day

TIP: SEE: Search - Evaluate - Execute. To Evaluate, plan how you're going to handle information or hazards gathered in the Search process.

QOD: If you accidentally lock the rear brake on a good traction surface, what should you do? http://t.co/NRUGYx2v

Bike Candy

A picture is worth a thousand words; especially when the words are in Japanese. I follow the various blogs from Ritmo Sereno, the Japanese specialty shop. The photography of the development of their project bikes is incredibly instructive. For a thousand words in English and some more pictures of today's treat head on over to BikeEXIF

Tuesday, 17 April

SBK

worldsbk.com: Sykes overjoyed with ZX-10R progress

motogp

asphaltandrubber.com: Jerez remains on the 2013 calendar but only 3 Iberian races next year

Formula 1

formula1.com: Bahrain preview quotes

formula1.comQ&A with Mercedes Norbert Haug

formula1.com: Q&A with Sebastian Vettel - ÔÇ£We simply weren't fast enoughÔÇØ

Other Racing

asphaltandrubber.com: Husqvarna Nuda 900R goes racing

motorcyclistonline.com: MV Agusta Quattro 500

On the Street

sundayworld.com: Trail blazer

cycleworld.com: Two stroke return?

cyrilbuzeblog.com: Show me your office ÔÇô Jeff Decker

moto-station.com: Maxitest ÔÇô Suzuki GSX1250FA, on the brink of a GT

visordown.com: Triump 125cc rumors reemerge

webbikeworld.com: Arai XD4 review

Wish the Intercity Fly-Over-Land Airport had a display like Zurich's

We don't even allow bicycles.

Cage World

FWIW

SBK

FIM

WEATHER
    US:

CA:

ROAD CONDITIONS
    US:

CA:

Download Manuals
    Breakdown Dictionary
    Tyre Options
    Tips
    Before every journey
    Before a log trip
    Before winter

Woot of the Day

TIP: Need to slow down in a corner? Keep looking through the corner and sensitively, smoothly keep braking. http://t.co/ZWxeceol

QOD: What should you do when riding through turns? http://t.co/UrEVMN3D

Bike Candy

BMW R65 Cafe Racer via Caferrecerculter.net