Page 46 of 120 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 96 ... LastLast

Thread: Bench Racing & The Morning Reads

I test rode the S1000RR last week & my thought was, if they made a Roadster or a bit less aggressive model, I'd buy it. I was thinking a street fighter, but with styling a bit more like the Speed Triple or Monster, not with chopper fringe on the seat & those awful lights! UGH...
    John.

I'd love a S1000RR Roadster, along the lines of the orginal 6-cylinder bike. Make it a bit smaller, so the 4-cylinder S1000RR engine fits nice, and IMHO you'd have a real winner!
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Monday, 16 May

Members with Birthdays Today

SBK

Haslam is already in training for Miller Motorsport Park and posted this video on twitter to prove it

MotoGP

asphaltandrubber.com: Casey Stoner fined €5,000 for punching Randy de Puniet in warm-up session

bbc.co.uk: Honda’s Casey Stoner races t French MotoGP win
    reuters.com: Results and standings

fim-live.com: Stoner roars to second win

fim-live.com: “My thoughts are with Dani” – Stoner

hondaproracing.com: Stoner and Dovizioso score Honda one-two at Le Mans

ducati.com: Ducati MotoGP team on the podium with Rossi, Hayden seventh

gresiniracing.com: UNINTENTIONAL INCIDENT!
    Simoncelli 5th, Aoyama 8th

rizla-suzuki-motogp.co.uk: Race long battle sees Bautista narrowly miss top nine finish
    12th

teamtech3.fr: Edwards and Crutchlow battle for top six in Le Mans
    Crutchlow crashes out and Edwards finishes 13th.

motogp.com: Paddock opinion of Simoncelli and Pedrosa clash

motomatters.com: Impetuosity, or how the best passes are saved until the last lap

Other Racing

The Big Triple - Glen Helen, USA

On the Street

autobloggreen: Edmunds lists most, least fuel efficient sporty cars
    BMW bookends the field with their MINI and BMW M5

FWIW

I follow Leon Haslams twitter posts and have used some in this thread. Back on May 10 he tweeted:

realleonhaslam: http://twitvid.com/DO2Y9 - Last week with @samlowes@alexlowes22 and JoeD, I think BMW might put a stop to this, but we were ok honest.

The link takes you to a video of Haslam having some water sport fun not unlike I have had with my daughters and grandchildren at my sister’s lake home. When posted I looked at it and did not post it; however; I thought of this tweet several times as I followed the unfolding MotoGP events at Le Mans.

MotoGP has provided some of the best racing action year in and year out. The stakes are high for riders and teams as they push for the best results. Crashes are part of the action and to be expected, perhaps, in a sport that involves excess speed in close quarters on contact patches the size of my sneakers. Arguments between riders seeking to gain any advantage they can over an opponent should not surprise. The application of rules written in a conference room may frustrate when applied on the race track. But of late MotoGP on and off the track is looking and sounding like a production by Moto-All-Star-Wrestling than racing promoted by Dorna and sanctioned by the FIM without the script and rehearsal sessions that go into the production of a episode of Saturday Night Raw.

Riders can beat each other up on and off the track and make veiled threats in press conferences and in the press. Penalties can be assessed in the form of fines drive through penalties and more. In the extreme a riders racing license could be suspended. These and other options will be debated in official and unofficial venues for the rest of the season I suspect. I think they should all talk with Haslam.

I don’t know if Haslam sees BMW as draconian or paternalistic but in the tweet I get a sense BMW has given him some sense of limits to acceptable behavior on and off the track. He is a bit Puckish at times but the relationship seems to work to establish boundaries.

Racing is a dangerous sport. A purely racing incident can have tragic results, as we saw last season in the Shoya Tomizaawa Moto2 tragedy. Dani Pedrosa’s injuries in Sundays MotoGP event may well be the result of a racing incident, but they happened in the context of sport that is on the edge of getting out of control.

Dorna and the FIM have important roles to play as promoters and governing bodies of MotoGP. Yet what ever they may choose to do will have little impact until the factories, team owners and team mangers put their heads together then go back and get control of their teams.

Haslam was having some fun with friends off the track and out of BMW garb yet he understood his actions potentially had implications because of his relationship with BMW. If a racing team owner and managers can help a rider think about boundaries for behavior and safety when they off the clock how much more impact can they have if they step up and do the same for race weekend behavior in the paddock, on the track in warm-up practice and races.

Whether it is treated as promoting safety in the work place or skeptically avoiding bad publicity for the factory brand and sponsors, with the potential exception of the severity of the injuries nothing will change until team owners and managers get control of the situation.

Reference: :

BMW-Motorrad.com:
    Download Manuals
    Breakdown Dictionary
    Tyre Options
    Tips
    Before every journey…
    Before a log trip…
    Before winter…
    How to clean your motorcycle

ascycles.com: BMW Motorcycle Service and Maintenance Schedules

Decorah Egles WebCam
    Decorah Eagles

Video streaming by Ustream

Shameless Trolling For Touring Tips

NHTSA.dot.gov Vehicle Recalls RSS

MSF Motorcycle Operators Manual

MSF Question of the Day: How should you react if your face protection is struck by a bug?

MSF Tip of the Day: FINE-C Engine Cut-Off Switch - Make sure engine cut-off switch is set to the RUN position or your bike won’t start.

SportRider.com: Motorcycle Riding Skills Seiries – Street bike and motorcycle riding skills techniques articles at Sport Rider

Gasbuddy.com: Search for local gas prices along your trip route.

Cycle-ergo.com motorcycle ergonomic simulator.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Tuesday, 17 May

SBK

worldsbk.com: An open letter to all Max Biaggi fans and Superbike enthusiasts

worldsbk.com: Cutting the chicane at Monza: exclusive videos

Cutting the chicane at Monza

Cutting the chicane at Monza

MotoGP

MotoGP Interviews post Le Mans
    Casey Stoner
    Andrea Dovizioso
    Valentino Rossi

motogp.com: Barcelona race in doubt for Pedrosa after broken collar bone

Formula 1

bbc.co.uk: Formula 1 teams agree to abandon 2013 rules revolution

]url=http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2011/5/12034.html]formula1.com[/url]: Allison: Renault upgrades worth ten seconds over Barcelona race

Other Racing

On the Street

Back Road blasting on the BMW K1600GT & GTL

Husqvarna

MotoUSA: 2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA First Ride

dealernews.com: Honda opens second motorcycle, scooter plant in India

indiancarsbikes.in: ROYAL ENFIELD TESTING A MACHISMO WITH A 500CC UCE ENGINE: ICB EXCLUSIVE!

webbikeworld.com: DIY motorcycle helmet sub blocker

The Mothership

The left turn assistant – turning left safely by looking out for oncoming traffic.

Press Release

The left turn assistant is activated automatically in the BMW 5 Series test vehicle as soon as the car’s sensors detect that it is entering the left-turn lane and the car registers the driver’s wish to turn off. Recognition of the left-turn lane takes place on two levels. The vehicle positioning function of the navigation system allows the location of the car to be fixed to within a metre at intersections. And a mono camera, comparable with standard cameras already in use, registers the turn-off lane markings and lane borders on the road. With the left turn assistant activated, three laser scanners in the front end of the car map the area up to 100 metres in front of the car. The laser scanners pick up not only cars and trucks, but also motorcycles. If the sensors detect vehicles approaching from the opposite direction but the car continues to move into the intersection, the left turn assistant activates an automatic braking input in a low speed range up to 10 km/h to prevent a collision. At the same time, a warning sound and relevant warning symbols in the instrument cluster and Head-Up Display advise the driver of the reason for the intervention. This automated action is triggered deliberately without a prior warning stage, as a rapid response is vital in this situation to prevent the car from moving into the intersection and presenting an obstacle to oncoming traffic. If the driver first had to react to a warning, the car would continue forward into the collision area and an accident would no longer be avoidable…more

BMW dispatched one legendary automobile and two celebrated designers to contest the 2011 Mille Miglia. Adrian van Hooydonk and Alfredo H?ñberli teamed up for the famous classic car rally in a BMW 328.

Press Release

Munich/Brescia. BMW selected a trio of design greats to compete in this year’s Mille Miglia. Head of BMW Group Design Adrian van Hooydonk and Swiss industrial designer Alfredo H?ñberli took part in the world’s most renowned classic car rally in a white BMW 328, which celebrates its 75th anniversary this year. One of almost 400 participating teams, the duo set out from Brescia in northern Italy on 12 May. Following staging posts in Bologna and Rome, the team cleared the finish ramp in Brescia on 15 May.

FWIW

visordown.com: Crystal ball 2012 – BMW

It is fishing opener season in Fly-Over-Land. If this article were written here it would be titled – BAIT. I’m not much of a fisher but I’m a sucker for bait and they hooked me with this one.

Concept C
    We are all expecting at least one Concept C scooter to be unveiled at the Milan show. My guess is the same basic scooter will appear with two engine variants and not all markets will get both.

The e version of the C1 scooter has not been talked about much. It could appear in Milan this year but my guess it will appear in 2012 as a 2013 model. India, China and the European urban market will be its target.

Wasser Boxers
    This is anyone’s guess right now. A dual production run of existing boxers and a Waser Boxer may make a certain amount of sense but I wouldn’t expect it. My guess BMW will go all in when it does and that will not be next year.

S Bikes
    Nothing BMW does or doesn’t do surprises me much anymore. I will be mildly surprised if a naked S 1000 R does not appear.

BMW is always cautious about canalizing existing customer base. The S 1000 RR stands alone. This has made sense for several years; however, it is time to capitalize on an expansion of that model. A naked S will expand BMW’s presence in that market segment by expanding the customer base more than it will cannibalize yielding a net gain.

Talk of an S 600 RR has been going on since the announcement of the S 1000 RR. I have been surprised they have not put one out. Visordown’s argument that market strength will determine it makes some sense. At the risk of looking like they are taking advantage of Japan while their manufacturers are dealing with the production problems resulting from the earthquake and tsunami, I would argue that now is the time to put it out if you are going to do it at all. BMW has bucked the sales trends for several years now. If they are going to beat their own numbers they need to continue to do so. A S 600 RR would do that. My guess is there are three reasons other than market strength that will determine if that purported 600cc inline four sees the light of day.

Capacity and Quality Control
    The Concept C line will take a great deal of effort to pull off. It will tax production beyond just finding places to manufacture and assemble the scooters. An entire infrastructure has to be expanded or built to deal with this new line. This may leave few resources for other projects this year.

Husqvarna
    Last year Husqvarna had some concepts. They have spent a great deal of time and effort realigning management and ramping up production for the big Milan show in November. The much rumored and talked about 900cc twin road bikes will hit the show and then dealers. I do not have my arms wrapped around what the plan for Husqvarna is but we better tug on our helmet chin straps because when it comes in November it will come at us full bore. A naked S 1000 R and a S 600 RR would be targeted at the same age range as Husqvarna is going after. I think the markets will be very different even when you control your analysis for age, but BMW may not want to risk undercutting the investment in Husqvarna.

MotoGP and WorldSBK
    We may find out very shortly if BMW is going racing in MotoGP, sticking with SBK or both. Setting fan interests aside for a moment and thinking like an executive (is that an oxymoron?) for a moment MotoGP makes sense. The expense is big, not huge when compared to F1 or even some of the other forms of racing being done at BMW, but big. The Monday payoff is not selling a specific model in the show room rather the ability to sprinkle MotoGP technology dust across the product line up giving marketing a chance to shave 10 years or more off the image. The S line could be superfluous if this were to happen. Any variation that involves SBK needs a naked S 1000 R at a minimum and probably should have an S 600 RR in the line up also.

Bottom [fish]Line
    I hope Munich listens to the various motorrad national heads, the motorcycle rags and our forum and give ups a naked S 1000 R regardless of what else they do.

BMW-Motorrad.com:
    Download Manuals
    Breakdown Dictionary
    Tyre Options
    Tips
    Before every journey…
    Before a log trip…
    Before winter…

Decorah Egles WebCam
    Decorah Eagles

MSF Question of the Day: Studies show that most crashes involved riders who did what?

MSF Tip of the Day:

SportRider.com: Motorcycle Riding Skills Seiries – Street bike and motorcycle riding skills techniques articles at Sport Rider

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

AJS Porcucpinde by way of Bonhams at Quail Lodge

Wednesday, 18 May

SBK

worldsbk.com: Castrol Honda set for test attack at Miller

MotoGP

autosport.com: Gresini defends under-fire Simoncelli

hondaproracing.com: Casey Stoner tests the 2012 Honda prototype in Jerez
    Yamaha-racing.com: Yamaha celebrate 50th Anniversary of Grand Prix Racing in red and white

Formula 1

bbc.co.uk: Steve ParrishÔÇÖs review of the French MotoGP

formula1.com: PirelliÔÇÖs new hard tyer to debut at Spain

reuters.com: FIA cracks down on F1 engine management systems

independent.com: Silverstone unveils ?ú27m new pit and paddock

Other Racing

autobloggreen: Brammo wins TTXGP at Infineon, sets electric lap record

ducati.com: Valentino Rossi at Silverstone with Ducati 1198

On the Street

MCN: Aprilia's new V4 superbike engine

Aprilia RSV4 tested on the road

BMF 2011 Teaser With Jeff Stone of the British Motorcycle Federation

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Sora Electric motorcycle

motorcyclenews.com: BMW unveils ÔÇÿanti-crashÔÇÖ technology and webbikeworld.com: BMW Left turn assistant
    Many sites are reacting to the press release found in yesterdayÔÇÖs post.

motocyclistonline.com: Five questions with MV Agusta CEO Giovanni Castilioni

The Mothership

Husqvarna Motorcycles 900cc 2 cylinder engine

The dribble of teasers on this will continue until the November release at EICMA

BMW Motorrad @ EICMA 2010

FWIW

trl.co.uk: Police bikers start work on road safety.

The relationship between motorcyclists and the police has been tenuous at times in the U.K. The project is an interesting constructive twist on ÔÇ£to serve and protect.ÔÇØ Could it serve as a model for motorcycle clubs and motorcyclists in general to do more with a ride report on forums and in their blogs?

BMW-Motorrad.com:
    Download Manuals
    Breakdown Dictionary
    Tyre Options
    Tips
    Before every journey
    Before a log trip
    Before winter

Decorah Egles WebCam
    Decorah Eagles

MSF Question of the Day: If the throttle cable becomes stuck, what is the appropriate action?

MSF Tip of the Day: When passing parked cars, stay toward the left of your lane to avoid doors opening. P.23

SportRider.com: Motorcycle Riding Skills Seiries ÔÇô Street bike and motorcycle riding skills techniques articles at Sport Rider

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

ottonero.blogspot.com: Moto Morini Test Stetta

Thursday, 19 May

SBK

worldsbk.com: Rea and Toseland inaugurate new Silverstone wing

MotoGP

hondaproracing.com: Pedrosa undergoes surgery on his collar bone

fim-live.com: sStoner tests the new Honda 2012

Casey Stoner On The 2012 MotoGP Repsol Honda Prototype In Jerez

Formula 1

fia.com: Spanish GP Preview

formula1.com: Overtaking – Making the impossible possible at Barcelona

formula1.com: McLaren – Diffuser clampdown would be a setback

Other Racing

2011 SPEA FIM Trial World Championship - Gefrees (GER)

sportrider.com: Flying Fred Merkel then and now

On the Street

bsmotoring.com: Hero Group set to be renamed Hero Moto

dealernews.com: Yamaha announces ATV manufacturing move from Japan to United States

londonbikers.com: Stay cool dry and comfortable all day with the function shirts from BMW Motorrad

realclassic.co.uk: Clubman’s corner

webbikeworld.com: Shift Enforcer knee guards - review

The Mothership

Honolulu Police Department Purchases Additional BMW Authority Motorcycles
    • Press Release
    Has Maintained Fleet of BMW Motorcycles for 12 Years

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – May 18, 2011…For 12 years running, the Honolulu Police Department (HPD) has opted to purchase BMW police motorcycles for its 36-member Solo Motorcycle Detail. By the end of June, 34 BMW R 1200 RT-P police motorcycles will replace 34 older models in the HPD’s existing fleet of 50 BMW police motorcycles that have been in service for the past 12 years. The 2011 model BMW motorcycles, purchased from the island’s only BMW motorcycle dealer, South Seas Cycle Exchange, will be ridden year-round by the Department’s specially trained motorcycle squad. Officers will use the motorcycles to patrol the city and county of Honolulu; to perform escort duty for parades and visiting dignitaries; and to participate in community events, such as the “Say Hi” school program…more

2011 “Engine of the Year Award”: Four titles for the BMW Group. Engines featuring four, six and eight cylinders prevail in their respective displacement classes – BMW Group most successful manufacturer in the most significant international competition.
    • Press Release
    Munich/ Stuttgart. With four class victories in the competition “International Engine of the Year Award” 2011, the BMW Group repeated last year’s success, whilst at the same time strengthening its position as the most successful manufacturer to take part in the competition. Four, six and eight-cylinder petrol and diesel engines prevailed in their respective displacement classes. The award-winning engines are featured in a number of current models of the BMW and MINI brands. In addition to the V8 power unit of the BMW M3 and the straight six-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology, the four-cylinder diesel with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and the new four-cylinder power unit under the bonnet of the MINI Cooper S also received an Engine of the Year award. The commendation of the award-winners took place during the trade fair “Engine Expo” in Stuttgart…more

FWIW

I have a friend that does really nice restorations and builds. My problem with them is he will never sell me one of them when he puts them on the market.

“Why not”

“You’ll use it.”

The Kneeslider is having sort of the same problem with the Black Falcon that was a recent Bike Candy feature: Black Falcon – Is this a motorcycle?

BMW-Motorrad.com:
    Download Manuals
    Breakdown Dictionary
    Tyre Options
    Tips
    Before every journey…
    Before a log trip…
    Before winter…

Decorah Egles WebCam
    Decorah Eagles

MSF Question of the Day: Which of the following is correct when being passed by another vehicle?

MSF Tip of the Day: Never assume that making eye contact with a driver means they see YOU or will yield. P.22

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

thechicaneblog.com: The art of Peter Hutton

Last edited by Mika; 05-19-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Friday, 20 May

SBK

uk.eurosport.yahoo.com: James Toseland – I’ll be ready for Salt Lake, and according to moto.it he will be riding a Peugeot in the pits.

motomatters.com: Miller Motorsports Park talks with Eugene Laverty

Formula 1

FIA.com: Spanish GP – Thursday press conference
    DRIVERS - Jaime ALGUERSUARI (Toro Rosso), Fernando ALONSO (Ferrari), Pastor MALDONADO (Williams), Sergio PEREZ (Sauber) Mark WEBBER (Red Bull).

formula1.com: Pre-Barcelona analysis – Webber out for Spanish double.

formula1.com: Tim Goss Q&A – Ten more upgrades for McLaren at Barcelona
    Trouble is everyone is making upgrades

reuters.com: -Schumacher and Hamilton at odds with their rivals
    -Monaco safety issues-

espnf1.com: Ross Brawn – ‘Ambitious plans for car’

formula1.com: Fernando Alonso to stay with Ferrari until 2016.
    A long term contract for the Ferrari team and driver may be a case of securing things before the turmoil of the next Concorde Agreement for F1 or perhaps a breakaway series begins. Paddock reaction to the deal has been all over the place.

autosport.com says Red Bull is not in a hurry to extend Vettel’s contract, but keep in mind he is committed until 2014 already.

Other Racing

2011 MAXXIS FIM Enduro World Championship - Francavilla di Sicilia (ITA)

On the Street

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Bonhams Carmel auctions smashes expectations

odi.nhtsa.dot.gov: Zero Motorcycle issues recall on 2009 2010 models

Hand painting of the Royal Enfield Tank

bellinghamherals.com: Camp, cook, eat, repeat

BMW-Motorrad.com:
    Download Manuals
    Breakdown Dictionary
    Tyre Options
    Tips
    Before every journey…
    Before a log trip…
    Before winter…

Decorah Egles WebCam
    Decorah Eagles

MSF Question of the Day: What is the best way to handle tailgaters?

MSF Tip of the Day: Always use both brakes every time you slow or stop. The front brake is safe to use if you use it properly.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Last edited by Mika; 05-20-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: repairs

Saturday, 21 May

SBK

worldsbk.com: Guintoli makes recovery from early season pain

MotoGP

Video – MotoGP: Rewind: Le Mans

Video – MotoGP: After the flag from Le Mans

Put June 3rd on your calendar.
    bbc.co.uk: MotoGP set fro influx of new teams in 2012
    Will BMW field a team?

motomatters.com: The money situation - Dorna owners hoping to cash in on cheaper loans

Formula 1

Friday Press Conference
    SENIOR TEAM PERSONNEL - Jose CARABANTE (HRT), Jean-Francois CAUBET
    (Renault Sport F1), Stefano DOMENICALI (Ferrari), Mark GALLAGHER (Cosworth), Adam
    PARR (Williams)

FIA: Timing Information
    Session 1
    Classification
    Lap Times

Session 2
    Classification
    Lap Times

formula1.com: Friday practice analysis – selected team and driver quotes

formula1.com: McLaren struggling with new hard tyres

timesofindia: F1 governing body investigating Ferrari rear wing

Silly Season
    bbc.co.uk: Ferrari open to running second top driver with Alonso
    -related-
    independent.co.uk: Ferrari consider Lewis Hamilton as a ‘potential driver’

F1 2011 - How the Pirelli Formula One tyre is made

Update: Saturday, 21 May

Formula 1

Ferrari’s wing was outlawed – formula1.com: Ferrari 150?? Italia – banned rear wing

Final Practice – formula1.com: Vettel pips Webber at the post.
    Is Vettel on his way to yet another pole? Also, Michael Schumacher is strong again in the final practice, but will he be able to turn that into a three session qualifying run?

Other Racing

fim-live.com: 8 Horas Nocturnas of Albacete

On the Street

It was big news when legendary Ducati designer Pierre Terblanche went to Norton. Now his Norton Sketches have been revealed. Story form Motorcyclenews.com

Ross Noble's Sit Down Tour: one man; one Triumph and Twitter.

autobloggreen: Aptera seeking manufacturing facility outside of California

webbikeworld.com: New DOT FMVSS 218 Helmet Safety Standard

visordown.com: Video – Brown Noise, Modern G50 matchless sensory assult

motoaus.com: Video of the week – Falling down a mountain

The Mothership

BMW S 1000 RR voted “Best sports motorcycle at all”. BMW Motorrad chosen “Best motorcycle brand“.
    • Informa?º?úo ?á Imprensa

Munich. Winning the overall ranking in style with the BMW S 1000 RR and being chosen the best motorcycle brand positions in the reader’s vote „The best sports motorcycles 2010“ of PS - Das Sport-Motorrad Magazin BMW Motorrad set one more exclamation mark in its success story…more

ROLLS-ROYCE OPENS NEW SHOWROOM IN MALAYSIA
    • Press Release

Rolls-Royce Motor Cars is pleased to announce the official opening of its latest showroom in Petaling Jaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The new facility was unveiled by Paul Harris, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Asia Pacific Regional Director, Brenda Pek, General Manager South & East Asia Pacific and Dato’ Michael Ong, Managing Director of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Kuala Lumpur. The dealership is owned by Quill Motorcars…]more

FWIW

With apologies to Shakespeare: A rose by any other name would be Swedish?
    Asphalt and Rubber articles appear in this thread on a fairly regular basis. They are normally a good source of stories. I have had trouble with some of their writing in the past. My current problem is why they continue to refer to Husqvarna as a ‘Swedish brand’. Yes there is a license fee paid for the use of the Husqvarna name but motorcycles have not been Swedish since 1987 when Cagiva purchased the company and it became part of MV Agusta S.p.A. until they sold it to BMW in 2007.

Thank goodness my riding boots have Velcro straps. They eliminate the worry of a lace failure at speed due to a weak knot causing a crash.

BMW-Motorrad.com:
    Download Manuals
    Breakdown Dictionary
    Tyre Options
    Tips
    Before every journey…
    Before a log trip…
    Before winter…

Decorah Egles WebCam
    Decorah Eagles

MSF Question of the Day: Which of the following is true when riding in a group?

MSF Tip of the Day: Remain in first gear while you are stopped so that you can move out quickly if you need to.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

raresportbikesforsale.com: 1989 Buell RR 1200 Battletwin 1/34 NOS never titled

Last edited by Mika; 05-21-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Formula 1 : Spanish GP Qualifying

Conditions are dry for qualifying allowing teams to run a combination of hard and soft compounds over qualifying. Heidfeld suffered a fire in practice and Lotus Renault mechanics will have to work hard to allow him run in qualifying. Ferrari will need to recover from their wing problems. I will be watching to see if Schumacher master qualifying. Poor qualifying has put him back in the pack in too many races. HRT is a question mark again. Practice times leave in doubt their ability to beat the 107% requirement to be in the race at all.

Q 1 20 Minutes

Petrov was the early leader in Q1 until the Red Bull cars took to the track. At the midpoint of this session Webber and Vettel were 1,2. Schumi was in P6 early and fell to P12 then back to P6 at mid point.

At 6 minutes remaining Toro Rosso’s Buemi and Alguersari had split Webber and Vettel. Then just before the 5 minute mark Sauber’s Kobayashi pulled within 0.040 of Webber and took P2 while teammate Perez settled in right behind Vettel in P5.

At the one minute mark Schumacher took a set of hot laps on soft tyres and took P1. The board is jumbled.

When the fag doped and final hot laps were taken the drivers failing to advance to Q2 were :
    Trulli
    Barrichello
    Glock
    Liuzzi
    Karthikeyan
    D’Ambrosio
    Heidfeld – never turned a wheel in the session.

Schumacher P1
    Petrov P2
    Maldonado P3

Webber P7 and Vettel in P11 for Q1 is no doubt more a result of doing just what was needed to get to Q2 than a demonstration of what they can do. The sessions top cars may be playing with strategy that combines race and Q3 goals.

Q 2 15 Minutes
    When the session starts everyone remains in the pits.

Live timing reports Barrichello suffered gearbox issues as the likely cause of his failure to advance.

Red Bull is the first team to send its cars out at the 12 minute mark. Vettel first then Webber. The field begins to follow them out to the track. The normal process has them running three laps, a warmup then two hot laps, before they dive back in the pits before making their final attempts.

Vettel set the first real benchmark for the session and did it without using his KERS. After finishing their first set of laps Vettel and Webber pull into the pits in P1 and P2. Button and Hamilton paired behind them then the duo of Alonso and Massa. Others are on the track turning in times.

Notably absent are the Mercedes cars. Both are in the pit then come out at last at the 5 minute mark. Obviously there is a tyre/track management strategy going on here. Rosberg’s first hot lap moves him up to P5 while Schumacher drops to P13 then his second hot lap bumps him to P6 slotting him behind his teammate. The duo then heads to the pits.

Advancing to Q3 n order
    Vettel
    Webber
    Button
    Hamilton
    Rosberg
    Schumacher
    Alonso
    Maldonado
    Petrov
    Massa

Kobayashi looked to be advancing on his final hot lap when the flag fell then for some reason aborted the attempt. No news as to why.

Force India chose to run the session on hard tyres. Apparently they have decided they had no chance to advance to the next session and have chosen to save their soft tyres for the race and possibly gain an advantage there.

Q 2 10 Minutes

Tyre management may affect times. Teams in Q3 must start the race on the tyres they qualify on. Will teams sacrifice grid spots for the potential of tyre advantage during ther race? The general consensus is the only way to beat Red Bull is to beat them to turn one.

Button and Hamilton are first out for the session with Hamilton setting the best time then quickly being supplanted by Vettel and Webber as the Red Bull drivers hit the track. Button to P1 then Hamilton then Vettel to the top and Webber to P2 the process begins again; Button to the top supplanted in order by Hamilton then Vettel with Webber beating him this time being the first to go into the 1’20.981.

While this is going on the other drivers and teams are sitting in the pits. Everyone seems willing to let these four duke it out waiting for the final fying laps.

3 minutes remaining and everyone is in the pits then Maldonado is the first out. Let the insanity begin!

Red Bull and McLaren have pulled their cars into the garages leaving the rest to do what they may during the final times.

Looks like a split strategy for Mercedes. Rosberg is out on softs and Shumacher on hards. Their times will reflect this. Rosberg is in P5 as the flag drops and Schumacher drops to P10.

Alonso turns a great lap after the flag and takes P4 from Button.

The session ends with Webber taking the Spanish GP Pole.

The field in order
    Webber
    Vettel
    Hamilton
    Alonso
    Button
    Petrov
    Rosberg
    Massa
    Maldonado
    Schumacher

Did not advance after Q2
    Buemi
    Perez
    Alguersuari
    Kobayashi
    Kovalainen
    Di Resta
    Sutil

Did not advance after Q1
    Trulli
    Barrichello
    Glock
    Liuzzi
    Karthikeyan
    D’Ambrosio

All times cleared the 1:28.556 107% requirement.

Heidfeld did not run.

Formula 1

fia.com: Media Q&A -
    Excerpts from Charlie Whiting media Q&A session
    Circuit de Catalunya, Friday May 20th, 2011

Spanish GP ÔÇô Qualifying

Press Conference

Saturday practice
    classifications[/url]
    Lap Times[/url]

Qualifying
    Classifications
    Lap Times
    Maximum Speeds
    Sector Times
    Speed Trap

Stewards Documents
    26: Documentation of HeidfeldÔÇÖs engine and transmission changes
    30: Stewards grant permission to Heidfeld to race on Sunday
    32 ÔÇô Technical report of car inspections

reuters.com: Heidfeld suffers in the Renault hot seat

bbc.co.uk: Spanish Qualifying as it happened

formula1.com: Qualifying analysis ÔÇô Webber on fighting form for Red Bull

autosport.com: Mercedes duo aim to fight Ferrari

f1technical.net: New front wing on Sauber C30

Other Racing

Team BMW Motorrad France 99 confident for 8 H of Albacete!

20.05.2011 Press release

The second test of the Endurance World Championship will take place this weekend in Spain on the circuit of Albacete with not less than 32 teams engaged for this event which will be without doubt highly contested by the major teams for victory. Team BMW Motorrad France 99 is a little better prepared for this Spanish round unlike Magny Cours where a new team was to be mounted almost on the eve of the bowl. S?®bastien Gimbert and Erwan Nigon share their handlebars for this event night with Hugo Marchand replaces Damian Cudlin, selected by Germany for the IDM Championship.

Steven Casaer, Manager of Team BMW Motorrad France 99: "our goal this weekend is of course the victory but the main is to score big points for the Championship." We look at Albacete in a different way than the Golden Bowl, the team is built over the weeks and even if the motorcycle is not yet exactly as I would like to I am pretty confident and I think can get a first place.

suzuki-racing.com: SERT on pole a at the Albacete Endurance

fim-live.com: An intense battle in Albacete
    It is 10 pm in Albacete and the five official favourites are still engaged in an intense battle for victory. From the start of the race, the BMW Motorrad France 99, the Suzuki Endurance Racing Team, the Yamaha Racing France GMT 94 Ipone, the Honda TT Legends and the Monster Yamaha YART are fighting to get access onto the podium.

Sunday, 22 May

SBK

worldsbk.com: World Superbike arrives in Russia

Monza – Race 1 – 8 parts:

Monza Race 2 - 6 parts

MotoGP

gpone.com: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Reflections on the French MotoGP of Le Mans

Other Racing

fim-live.com: First Victory for BMW Motorrad France 99

The BMW Motorrad France 99 won the 8 Hours of Albacete and took their first victory in the Qtel FIM Endurance World Championship. S?®bastien Gimbert and Erwan Nigon won on the S1000RR with a 30 seconds gap from the Yamaha Racing France GMT 94 Ipone of David Checa, Kenny Foray and Matthieu Lagrive, and one lap from the Suzuki Endurance Racing Team of Vincent Philippe, Freddy Foray and Daisaku Sakai.This unprecedented podium is also Michelin's revenge over the SERT partner Dunlop, as the French tyres were fitted on the first two machines for the 8 Hours of Albacete. If the BMW Motorrad France 99 and the Yamaha Racing France GMT 94 Ipone enjoyed some trouble-free races, the SERT lost a bit of ground as they had to obey a stop & go penalty for not having switched off the bike's lights during a pit stop. The Suzuki Endurance Racing Team remains the championship leader, with a two points advantage over the BMW Motorrad France 99.The fourth place was promised to the team Honda TT Legends, who were racing with the leaders from the beginning of the race. But John McGuinness crash around 1 am was fatal for the British Honda. Honda TT Legends gave up their fourth place to another great contender of the race, Monster Yamaha YART, who also could have been on the podium spot if they had not been delayed by a fuel issue in the middle of the race.The Yamaha of Maco Racing Team managed to kill the black cat at last! Jason Pridmore, Gregg Black and Gr?®gory Junod took the fifth place ahead of the Yamaha YMES Folch Endurance of Dani Ribalta, Pedro Vallcaneras and Jose Manuel Luis Rita. The Honda National Motos was in the surroundings 25 minutes away from the chequered flag, but a technical problem made them lose any benefit from a great race.BMW took victory in the Superstock class as well. The BMW Van Zon Boenig Motorsportschool Penz13 RT of Werner Daemen, Gr?®gory Fastr?® and Michael Filla finished seventh overall and first in their class, ahead of a close group of Superstock machines. These included the Suzuki of Team Motor Events Bodyguard AMT, No Limits Motor Team, MCS Racing Ipone, team Atomic MotorSport and AM Moto Racing Comp?®tition, who was leading the class for a while before being delayed with a faulty gearshift. In both classes, two challengers were quick to retire from the race. In Formula EWC, the Kawasaki of Bolliger Team Switzerland had to give up with a broken gearbox, after their chassis setup problems had been solved. In the Superstock class, the Suzuki of Qatar Endurance Racing Team suffered a broken engine. The team DG Sport, another contender to a Superstock podium, and in fourth place until 11 pm, had to retire after Olivier Depoorter crashed.Next round of the Qtel FIM World Endurance Championship is scheduled on 31st July for the 8 Hours of Suzuka reserved to the EWC Formula machines. Then there will be on Saturday 20th August, in Great Britain, the 6 Hours of Silverstone.

caradisiac.com: Endurance – 8hr Albacete: wire victory for BMW

bmw-motorsport.com 24 hours packed with emotion.
    Preparations for the 24-hour race in Le Mans are in full swing at BMW Motorsport. J?Ârg M??ller is particularly looking forward to the challenge facing him in June.

autobloggreen: EV Cup electric racing series delayed until 2012 (well, sort of)

On the Street

gizmag.com: Noise snare detects loud vehicles

sportrider.com: Basic training – Kevin Schwantz School style

google.com/patents: BMW patent application for a ‘Motor Vehicle Operating Device’

The Mothership

BMW 328 Hommage
    The BMW 328 is considered the most successful and best-looking sports car of the 1930s. The BMW 328’s success was the result of its design parameters – through the use of systematic lightweight construction, aerodynamic lines, optimum engine types and outstanding suspension technology, it laid the foundation stone for a new vehicle concept, by which performance only leads to success if combined with perfect harmonisation of all parameters and maximum efficiency. With these characteristics, the BMW 328 was even then the embodiment of what the BMW brand still stands for today – dynamics, aesthetics and a high level of innovation. This year, the dream sports car is celebrating its 75th birthday. The festivities will begin near Lake Como at the Mille Miglia. There, the main focus will be on the fascination of the BMW 328 racing car. To this day, the award-winning vehicle BMW 328 Touring Coup?® still holds the record for the highest average speed on the Mille Miglia circuit and, in 2010, was again able to win the historic revival of the race. A week later at the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este, the two-seater’s functional aesthetics will be the focus of attention. In this area of conflict between tradition and modernity, the BMW Group is paying tribute to the BMW 328 on the occasion of its anniversary with a special model – the BMW 328 Hommage….Downloads

Photo Gallery

BMW-Motorrad.com:
    Download Manuals
    Breakdown Dictionary
    Tyre Options
    Tips
    Before every journey…
    Before a log trip…
    Before winter…

Decorah Egles WebCam
    Decorah Eagles

MSF Question of the Day[/url]: The greatest potential for conflict between motorcyclists and other traffic is in what situation?

[url=http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/questionoftheday.aspx?q=139 ]MSF Tip of the Day: If you’re being passed, avoid moving to the farthest portion of the lane from the passing vehicle.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Update: Sunday 22 June

Formula 1 : Spanish GP ÔÇô Race Notes

The weather is perfect for the race. Sun

Once again the Red Bulls occupy the front row with Webber on the pole. HamiltonÔÇÖs McLaren is behind him on row two with Alonso and his Ferrari behind Vettel. These four along with ButtonÔÇÖs McLaren were the break away cars in qualifying. The Red Bull and McLaren drivers had the opening of Q3 to themselves dueling for the pole in a series of hot laps then heading to the garages to make way for the rest of qualifiers.

Alonso toped that group taking P4 from Button, but there are some interesting stories in the group of which Mercedes may be the interesting to watch. The Silver Arrows are purportedly setting their sights on Ferrari not the win. It is the logical target for their season climb back into contention.

Heidfeld is at the back of the grid. He was unabl

The live timing screed is clearing, the cars are away on the formation lap.

Red lights on ÔÇô off weÔÇÖre racing

Turn 1 ÔÇô Alonso Vettel Webber Hamilton Petrov Schumacher Rosberg

After one lap the top ten are
    Alonso
    Vettel
    Webber
    Hamilton
    Petrov
    Schumacher
    Rosberg
    Massa
    Buemi
    Buton

Kobayashi is in the pit to change tyres. Left rear puncture spoils his race start.
    He opts for hards.

Lap 2/66
    Vettel sets fast lap. The field is stringing out a bit. 11 seconds separate P1 and P10 already.

Lap 3/66
    Alonso remains in the lead with 0.5 seconds on Vettel. Webber goes purple setting a new fast lap.

Schumacher and Rosberg are pressing Petrov for P5.

Lap 4/66
    HamiltonÔÇÖs turn to go purple. This is a repeat of the Q3 action where the Red Bulls and McLarens traded fast laps.

Alonso holds the lead.

Lap 5/66

Schumacher is loosing Petrov. The gap is 2.5 seconds now with Rosberg 0.7 seconds behind him..

Heidfeld has moved from P24 to P17.

Lap 6/66
    Button has moved past Buemi and now will hunt down Massa as his next target 0.2 seconds ahead.

Lap 7
    Alonso goes purple.

Perez pits his Sauber. Is this the start of the first round of pit stops?

Lap 8/66
    21.9 seconds now separate P1 and P10. Alonso is charging opening up small gains on Vettel. The gap between them is 0.8 seconds now.

Lap 9/66
    Vettel pits and is out quickly. He rejoins in P9 behind Button.
    Buemi pits from P10

Lap10
    Vettel passes Button quickly
    The pits are in full action as the board lights up with driver after driver pitting.
    Vettel is now shown in P6

Lap11/66
    Hamilton is shown in the lead as the lap starts but heads to the pits.
    Alonso is behind him and will assume the lead with Vettel on his heals.

Lap 12/66
    Button is the only contender not to have made his first pit stop.
    Alonso is in the lead Vettel Hamilton Webber follow him. Button and DiÔÇÖResta are show behind them but have not made pitstops. Then comes Schumacher He will pass DiResta in the pits but the gap to button may be to great.

Heidfeld is up to P14

Lap 13/66
    Hamilton has his tyres warm and goes purple

Lap 14
    Button pits. He rejoins in P7 behind Petrov
    DiÔÇÖResta is the only car currently listed in the top 10 not to have pitted.

Lap 15
    Button gets past Petrov and is now shown 0.2 seconds adrift of Schumacher. The German in turn is 24.2 seconds adrift of Webber in P4.

Lap 16
    Button goes purple and blows past the Silver Arrow.
    Currently the top ten in order are
    Alonso
    Vettel
    Hamilton
    Webber
    Button
    Schumacher
    Rosberg
    Petrov
    Massa
    Buemi
    The gap from P1 ÔÇô P10 is up to 41.1 seconds.

Lap 17
    Kobayashi is slowly moving up after his lap one problem. He is now shown in P18. His teammate Perez is in P15 just behind Heidfeld in P14.

Lap 18
    VETTEL PITS???

Lap 19
    The leaders are all pitting. Is the pace chewing up tyres that much?!

Lap 20
    Hamilton, now in the lead, goes purple. He did not pit.
    Vettel
    Alonso
    Weber
    These follow in that order and have made their second pit stop.
    Button
    Schumacher
    Rosberg
    Petrov
    Massa
    Buemi
    Round out the points positions currently.

Lap 21/66
    Vettel goes purple but is 15.4 seconds behind Hamilton when he does it.

Lap 22/66
    Heidfeld makes his first pit stop.
    Vettel has taken a second off HamiltonÔÇÖs lead. When will McLaren bring him in?

Lap 23/66
    Now! Hamilton is in the pit and out on a new set of soft tyres. He rejoins in P2 behind Vettel but ahead of Alonso and Webber.

Lap 24/66
    Button should pit soon.
    Schumacher and Rosberg are locked in a duel for P6. This seems a bit pointless from a team perspective. The gap to Button is up to 16.5 seconds. All three need to make pit stops.

Lap 25
    The Saber cars are in P12/Perez and P19/Kobayashi. Kobayashi is now a lap down on the leader.

Lap 26/66
    Schumacher is in the pits followed by Petrov.
    Rosberg will bolt ahead into P6 for the time being until he needs to pit. How much of the gap to Hamilton he can close is the open question.

Lap 27
    Not much. Rosberg is in and out of the pits. He rejoins in P9 behind Di Resta.
    Button still has not pitted.

Lap 29/66
    Alonso and Webber pit!

Lap 30
    Button finally pits.
    Alonso and Webber appear to have gone to hard tyres. Will Button do the same? He opts for soft tyres and rejoins in P5.

Lap 32
    Lets set the field
    Vettel
    Hamilton
    Alonso
    Webber
    Button
    Massa
    Schumacher
    Rosberg
    Di Resta
    Petrov
    The top 10 followed by
    Maldonado
    Buemi
    At least one lap down are
    Alguersuari
    Heidfeld
    Perez
    Barrichello
    Trulli
    Kobayashi
    Sutil
    Kovalainen
    Clock
    DÔÇÖAmbrosio
    Karthikeyan

Luzi is shown as stopped.

Perez was poking around in P11 challenging for P10. With his pit stop can he make up his losses and move up into a points position for Sauber?

Lap 34
    Vettel pits once again.
    Webber passes Alonso but can not make it stick and the Ferrari moves ahead.

Lap 35
    Hamilton pits from the lead. His gap over Vettel was 14.9seconds and 34.3 seconds over Alonso. He takes on a set of hard tyres this time and rejoins in P2.

Lap 36/66
    Button is charging. He passes Webber in a nifty piece of work then passes Alonso. He is now in P3 but a pit stop down on the top 5 cars.

Lap 37/66
    24.9 seconds separate P1 and P5. Two Red Bulls, two McLarens and one Ferrari are in the break away group. . Then a there is a 25.3 second gap to Schumacher who leads the rest of the field.

Lap 38/66
    Massa pits after a bit of a spin in turn 10

Lap 39/66
    Alonso pits. And rejoins in P5.

Lap 40/66
    Vettel holds a 1.5 second lead over Hamilton. Button is a full 20.2 seconds adrift of his teammate.

Lap 41
    Alonso is in P5 7.5 seconds behind is Schumacher. No charge on the Ferrari, rather he pits. Rosberg moves up and Schumacher rejoins in P7.

Lap 42/66
    Rosberg pits.

I hope this looks better on the tube than it does on live timing. While there seem to be many close quarter duels going on there is no sense of real fights. Just when one might press for advantage the pits call and the drivers continue their shadow boxing rather than really duking it out.

Lap 44/66

Vettel is in the lead and has lapped through Massa in P8. Rosberg in P7 is less than 5 seconds ahead. He is dragging Hamilton 1.1 seconds behind him. The gap to Button in P3 is roughly 25 seconds.

All the talk of wings, KERS and other improvements have not done much for this race.

Lap 47/66
    Webber pits. He and Alonso have made four stops.

Lap 48
    Now Vetel pits from the lead followed by Button. Hamilton will no doubt follow in a lap. He must press now to balance out any gain Vettel makes by taking the stop for a new set of hard tyres.

Lap 49/66
    Hamilton is in and out on a new set of hard tyres.

The ÔÇÿfab fiveÔÇÖ may duck into the pits for one last time close to the end for a set of softs to finish on. What happens now with these hard tyres will determine that.

Lap 50/66
    Webber lights them up and sets a new fast lap. Hamilton sets a best sector time and is pressing.

Lap 51/66
    The gap between P1 and P@ is up to 2.4 seconds.

Heidfeld is shown in P10 but is making a pit stop.
    Perez is in P12, now P11.
    Heidfeld rejoins in P14.

Lap 52/66
    Hamilton has cut the lead to an even second.
    Vettel
    Hamilton
    Button
    Webber
    Alonso
    Schumacher
    Rosberg (The last driver on the lead lap)
    Massa
    Petrov
    Perez
    Make the top 10
    Kobayashi is in P11.
    Another good show for Sauber even though they seem a bit jinxed.

Lap 55/66
    The blue flag ushers the leaders past the two Mercedes. Now just the ÔÇÿfab fiveÔÇÖ are on the lead lap. Alonso is 64.9 seconds behind the leader so even that could be in doubt.

Even with the help of the blue flag the traffic slowed Vettel a bit and Hamilton is now just 0.6 seconds behind. Button and Webber are dueling for third 33.7 seconds behind the leader.

Lap 58
    Button now has 3.1 seconds on Webber.

Vettel is now 14 seconds behind Alonso and closing rapidly on lapping the Ferrari.

I am a Vettel fan but man when the excitement of the race is will he lap through P5 something is wrong.

Perez is now shown in P8 and Heidfeld in P9. Great showing for one a disappointment for the other. Kobayashi is in P10. Both Saubers are currently in points paying positions.

Lap 61
    Alonso is only 8 seconds ahead of Vettel. You donÔÇÖt want the chequered flag photo finish being you getting lapped by the leader.

Massa has troubles and is off into the gravel. He is done.

Lap 62
    Heidfeld has taken P8 from Perez.

Lap 64/66
    Alonso goes a lap down. Now P1-4 are the only cars on the lead lap and it takes 42.8 seconds to cover them.

Lap 65
    Hamilton has been in lock step with Vettel just 0.7 seconds behind. A bit of a bobble and now it is 0.8 seconds. Vettel looks set to take another win.

Vettel Wins!!!
    1 Vettel
    2 Hamilton
    3 Button
    4 Webber
    5 Alonso ÔÇô 1 lap down
    6 Schumacher
    7 Rosberg
    8 Heidfeld
    9 Perez
    10 Kobayashi
    11 Petrov
    12 DiResta
    13 Sutil
    14 Buemi
    15 Maldonado
    16 Alguesuari ÔÇô 2 laps down
    17 Barrichello
    18 Trulli
    19 Glock ÔÇô 3 laps down
    20 DÔÇÖAmrosio ÔÇô 4 laps down
    21 Kathikeyan ÔÇô 5 laps down
    DNF
    Massa
    Kovalainen
    Luzzi

Vettel and Hamilton are the cream of the crop.
    A strong, if disappointing showing, for Heidfeld; starting last he finished in the points in P8.
    Once again both Saubers are in the points.

That ends Parade ... cough..cough...err...race coverage. I will include all post race updates in tomorrows post.

Monday, 23 May

Formula 1

Starting grid

Race:
    Classifications
    Lap Chart
    Lap Analysis
    Fastest Lap
    History Chart
    Maximum speeds
    Pit Stop Summary
    Sector Times
    Speed Trap

Stewards Documents
    Document 41
    Document 42
    Document 43
    Document 44

post Race Press Conference

formula1.com: Christian horner Q&A – it was an unbelievable drive from Vettel

formula1.com: In conversation - Mercedes’ Michael Schumacher and Norbert Haug

reuters.com: Team by team analysis of Spanish Grand Prix

jamesallenonf1.com: Vettel holds off Hamilton to win tense Spanish GP

bbc.co.uk: hispanis threatening exhaust management system protest

Other Racing

Facebook:Team BMW France Race gallery

Suzuki-racing.com: SERT podiums despite stop and go penalty

French SBK

Erwan Nigon. FSBK 2011. Nogaro. from PATAQUES on Vimeo.

On the Street

sportrider.com: Video – 2011 BMW S 1000 RR on track

Giovanni Castiglioni, MV Agusta CEO, Exclusive interview part 1

thekneeslider.com: Do it yourself PulsJets from Robert Maddox
    I love this kind of stuff

webbikeworld.com: 2011 BMW Motorrad Days with Husqvarna

The Mothership

google.com/patents: Vehicle Steering System of the By-Wire Design Type
    ANDREAS BOOTZ et al
    A vehicle by-wire steering system includes a hydraulic default level. A hydraulic feed unit and a hydraulic actuating unit can be connected together by two hydraulic lines such that when an actuator is non-functional, a steering wheel rotational angle is transformed into a corresponding wheel...
    Inventors: ANDREAS BOOTZ, NORBERT NITZSCHE
    Assignee: BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE AKTIENGESELLSCHAFT

google.com/patents: Nonwoven composites and related products and processes
    Gordon S. Alward et al
    The present invention in certain embodiments is directed to a catalytic substrate suitable for use in a number of applications, including as a substrate in a catalytic converter or a particulate filter. Another aspect of the present invention is a filtering substrate suitable for use in a number...
    Inventors: Gordon S. Alward, Robert A. DiChiara, Jr.
    Assignees: GEO2 Technologies, Inc.
    Primary Examiner: Tom Duong

BMW-Motorrad.com:
    Download Manuals
    Breakdown Dictionary
    Tyre Options
    Tips
    Before every journey…
    Before a log trip…
    Before winter…

Decorah Egles WebCam
    Decorah Eagles

MSF Question of the Day: What should you do when riding over rain grooves

MSF Tip of the Day: Know what’s behind you. Checking your mirrors frequently should be part of your normal “search” routine. P.25

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

The Hurricane was one of many

World Gulf Village and the BMW of North East Florida get some of the nicest and unusual bikes in a great setting. If you start to see ordinary or common bikes you take a few more steps and you can look at stuff like the Hurricane. Last year they had three of them and the Grand Marshal was the guy who designed it for Triumph, in between designing and making Vetter Fairings though. Its a great show. I caught site of an original and un-restored 1930's Indian race bike.

Thanks for you post and information. If you have photos from the event feel free to share them. To all readers, I am always looking for new shots to share in Bike Candy. PM me with links to the shots and some information or share them yourself in this or other threads.

I was in a fog when I put this post together, but that is a coming story for FWIW. The Hurricane pictures come from the blog spot http://motorcyclephotooftheday.com and were taken by the poster at the Riding Into History Event held in St. Augustine Florida.

The Hurricane X75 has always been one of those that ÔÇÿgot away ÔÇÿfrom me when it came out. I saw a couple at the Marnie IA Triumph dealerÔÇÖs summer event last year. They were on their vintage showroom floor and carried price tags that were stunning.

The bike was designed by Craig Vetter. VetterÔÇÖs designs and business can bring various reactions from rides and customers. The design is simple but caught the essence of the underlying bike and the time it was built and has joined the many lists of legendary motorcycles ever designed and built.

The site promises more pictures from the show and I have little doubt that many will make it into the Bike Candy section.