Page 34 of 120 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 ... LastLast

Thread: Bench Racing & The Morning Reads

Fixed link to video

I fixed an incorrect link to a video in today's post.

Video vanishingpoint.com: How to photograph motocycles

Thank you for the heads-up PM
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

GREGFUESS
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    The motorcycle road coarse is listed as 2.36 miles and the race was six laps for 14.6 miles. A helmet cam video of the race is in post #471 15 January with voice over by the rider and a write up on the race from Asphalt and Rubber was posted 10 January. I hope this inofrmation is accurate and answers your question.
    Thanks Mika. Impressive distance for a battery powered bike. I wonder how long it could maintain that level of performance? Whew.

Wednesday, 9 February

Members with Birthdays Today

SBK

World SBK promo

Formula 1

loatusrenaultgp.com: More surgery panned

Virgin has decided KERS not a worthwhile investment while McLarenÔÇÖs technical directors says anyone without KERS will be making up numbers.

bbc.co.uk: Senna, Liuzzi or Heidfeld to replace inured Kubica

formula1.com: Exclusive Nico Hulkenberg Q&A ÔÇô Making the 2012 grid my goal
    I had thought of him as having a good shot to make it with LRGP instead of Senna.

attwilliams.com: Successful start ot Cosworth pre-season testing program
    hispaniaf1team: HRT reveals the first pictures of the new F111

On the Street

asphaltandrubber.com: Can-Am files for leaning Spyder patent

dealernews.com: Motorcycle dealership closings escalate in Dayton

utltimatemotorcycling.com: BMW K 1300 S takes RIDER Award

webbikeworld.com: Bausch & Lomb FogShield Sport review

thevintagent: VINNYLONGLEGS

The Mothership

BMWGroup: BMW Group starts new year with strong sales growth
    Motorrad segment - With a substantial increase in year-on-year sales of 23.6%, BMW Motorrad also made a successful start to the new year.

Motorsport: Become a tyre expert

Reference:: Shameless Trolling For Touring Tips

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Thursday, 10 February

SBK

ultimatemotorcycling.com: Haslam ÔÇô Top 2011 WSBK contender?
    Nice background piece on Leon Haslam if you are not familiar with his history. I am definitely rooting for him but still believe the question mark is appropriate when the Top is included as a modifier in the sentence.

ultimatemotorcycling.com: World Superbike history from 1988-2011

WSS

worldsbk.com: 16 nations represented in 2011 Supersport
    EU nations dominate the list of the European only series

MotoGP

autosport.com: Lorenzo - Yamaha needs to improve

motogp.com: Capirossi ÔÇô ÔÇ£The potential of the GP11 is very highÔÇØ

Formula 1

reuters.com: Heidfeld to test for KubicaÔÇÖs Reanult

formula1.com: Teams regroup ahead of second Jerez tests.

theaustralian.com.au: Williams on pole in race to capitalize on F1 technical expertise

speedtv.com: Ferrari defends less extreme approach to 2011 F150 Formula 1 car.

bbc.co.uk: Full 2011 F1 entry list

I think it will take me the entire F1 season to stop snickering and thinking of ÔÇÿRosieÔÇÖ my trusty rusty 1988 F150 pickup (gone but not forgotten) every time I type Ferrari F150.

On the Street

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Erik Buell to launch street bike at end of year
    The end of his non-compete clause with H-D has come and he is ready to build according to this story.

visordown.com: UK PTW sales from the last decade
    BMW has reported increased sales for 2010 and the first month of 2011, but the overall numbers for the past decade point to a bleak trend for the UK that may not recover until 2012.

Bikes in the Fast Lane has a pair of motorcycle taxi articles the first from Thailand where some American expats are coming out with a motorcycle taxi meter but Brazil wonÔÇÖt be a market for it if that government gets its way.

The Mothership

PressClub/de announced the release of a video about the development of the S 1000 RR. A 92 minute German version is available now with a shortened 52 minute English version to come.

FWIW

Proceed with caution!

technologyreview.com: Post a copyrighted picture, face a $150,000 lawsuit

On the lighter side who knew AXE and Vespa had such power?

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

The Yamaha SR series came in various engine sizes. In its short run in the US market it remained under the radar of most but became a cult favorite for caf?® lovers. This bike of unidentified origin showed up on the OttoNero blog. It is a nice example of what can be done with this model.

GREGFUESS
    On the Street

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Erik Buell to launch street bike at end of year
    The end of his non-compete clause with H-D has come and he is ready to build according to this story.
    While I wish Eric well, after 25 years of motorcycles that, IMHO are mediocre at best, I understand his passion, but wonder if the time has come for him to pass the reigns to others?

Friday. 12 February

SBK

worldsbk.com: 2011 WSBK teams – Suzki Alstare

gpone.com: Fabrizio issues the challenge

eurosport.yahoo.com: Fabrizio aims to spring a surprise
    Makes for good press but

BMW Motorrad Facebook: Life of Leon – Part 1

WSS

MotoGP

motogp.com: Bautista expects pre-season work to pay off
    With one primary rider will the focus of development effort pay off?
    motogp.com: Suzuki line Hopkins up as substitute.

Formula 1

telegraph.co.uk: Ferrari alter name of latest Formula One car after Ford take action against Scuderia over use of F150 name
    50 years after Ferrari snubbed Ford’s purchase offer and there is still bad blood.

bbc.co.uk: Renault’s Robert Kubica leaves intensive care unit
    I wonder what his parents think of the wording of this headline…never mind.

carbodydesign.com: Concept designer Daniel Simon creates livery for HRT Formula 1 car

formula1.com: Kamui Kobayashi Q&A – The plan is points at every race

nickheidfeld.com: Nick tests for Renault next weekend at Jerez
    reuters.com: Heidfeld favorite to replace Kubica
    autosport.com: Q&A with Heidfeld on Renault test

Jerez Test Day One: Williams, Ferrari. McLaren, Lostus Renault GP,

Other Racing

Daytona Tire Test 2011 American Superbike Review

On the Street

motogeo.com: Malaysian Adventure

visordown.com: Triumph lead [UK] sales over 125cc

The Mothership

PressClub/US: BMW ActiveE Electric Vehicle
    Press Release
    The second phase of BMW Group’s electro-mobility development is ready to take to the road

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – February 10, 2011… The introduction of the BMW ActiveE marks the launch of the second phase of the BMW Group’s electro-mobility development strategy. Like the MINI E before it, the BMW ActiveE will be available for lease in select markets beginning in Fall 2011….more

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

From Le Container

Last edited by Mika; 02-11-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Saturday, 12 February

SBK

ultimatemotorcycling.com: Preview – Alstare Suzuki

uk.eurosport.yahoo.com: Xaus aiming big big highs with Castrol Honda

MotoGP

roadracingworld.com: Pramac Racing MotoGP Team holds official introduction on a cruise ship

Formula 1

autoweek.com: Schumacher tops Jerez test

speedtv.com: Symonds returns to new role at Virgin F1 Team

espnf1.com: T128 is ‘close to the midfield’ Jarno Trulli

wird.co.uk: McLaren’s MD on Formula 1’s technical challenges

Other Racing

MINI Space: Velodromes Sechtagernermen – The six day spin cycle

On the Street

RECALL
    Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
    CAN-AM / ROADSTER SPYDER RT SM5 2011

Manufacturer: BOMBARDIER RECREATIONAL PRODUCTS INC.
    Mfr's Report Date: FEB 07, 2011

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V081000
    NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION:COLUMN SHIFT ASSEMBLY

Potential Number of Units Affected: 160

Summary:
    BRP IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 SPYDER RT SM5 ROADSTERS. WHILE DOWNSHIFTING, IT MAY BE POSSIBLE TO INADVERTENTLY ENGAGE REVERSE WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE REVERSE BUTTON, DUE TO A DEFECTIVE REVERSE ACTUATOR CABLE. IF THIS HAPPENS WHILE VEHICLE IS MOVING FORWARD, THE REAR WHEEL COULD LOCK AND THE ENGINE COULD STALL.
    Consequence:

IF THIS HAPPENS WHILE VEHICLE IS STOPPED OR MOVING FORWARD, VEHICLE COULD BACK UP. THIS CONDITION MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH POSSIBLY RESULTING IN INJURY OR DEATH.

Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL VALIDATE PROPER OPERATION OF THE REVERSE ACTUATOR AND IF DEFECTIVE, THE REVERSE ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY WILL BE REPLACED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE FEBRUARY 11, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BRP AT 1-888-638-5397.

Notes:
    OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

The Mothership

FWIW

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

From OttoNero.com

I tried searching for information on the Altoona PA board track without success. In the process I hunting down something about Board Track Racing came across these nuggets.
    Hello,

Just a few bits of info on the Altoona board track, but mostly from the stock car world.

http://pages.prodigy.com/altoonaarchives/tipton.htm

http://www.wheelsofspeed.com/altoona.html

http://www.stockcarracing.com/featur...ack/index.html
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Sunday, 13 February

SBK

uk.eurosport.yahoo.com: Laverty sets sights on WSBK top five

WSS

MotoGP

motorcycle-usa.com: Yamaha to unveild 2011 livery in Malaysia

Formula 1

autoracingdaily.com: Heidfeld fastest on third day at Jerez

formula1.com: Nick Heidfeld ÔÇô IÔÇÖve done a good job for Renault

Jerea Day 3 The Teams: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren, Renault

Other Racing

OSSA ÔÇô Indoor Trial

On the Street

What does it take to run a motorcycle shop?

compacc.com: A closer look at the all new Shoei Qwest

motorcyclistonline.com: Alpinestars Durban gore tex jacket

thekneeslider.com: The new Motus MST motorcycle on the dyno and in the cold

I know the Tenere liter bike is the one that has everyone excited but this is the one that Yamaha will really make a buck with.

The Mothership

FWIW

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Nice Triumph from Ron Peck via Motorcycle Picture of the Day

Build Pictures

Chromehead

Yamaha SR Bike Candy & Buell

Mika,
    Always love the bike candy, especially when the odd SR pops up. I pass pics on to my Bro-in-law frequently, as he has two. Had one in college myself that was my second build/re-build of a bike bottom-up. Wow, what a wheelie machine. Torque monster. Hemispherical heads w/ oil-in-frame...I love riding the ones in his stable when I visit. If any friend ever wants to borrow one, ya just tell him that if they can start it, they can ride it. Kinda old school w/ compression release lever and TDC indicator window.
    I sure hope Eric Buell finds an angel investor or two. Designers have been copying his innovations for years. He showed the superbikes what was possible, and is still a visionary. I test rode one of his 1200s and knew I would enjoy it waaaay too much.
    Guys like him are few and far between.

Cheers,
    Greg

Monday, 14 February

Happy Valentines Dayafter your kiss your honey and given them flowers come back and read todays post.

My father always enjoyed that New Years Eve was his birthday; it made him feel like the entire world was celebrating with him. I wonder what Valentine birthday celebrants think of the their day?

MotoGP

motomatters.com: Moto2 and 125 Valencia test roundup

ultimatemotorcycling.com: Yamaha set to unveil livery
    Does this mean Yamaha finally has a sponsor?

Formula 1

formula1.com: Barrichello on for Williams on final day

reuters.com: Sponsors satisfied with Sauber secrecy

jalopnik.com: Making things with aerodynamics ÔÇô wings hit GP competition

Other Racing

allaboutbikes.com:Martin Heath, Capturing MotoGP one frame at a time

On the Street

mcnews.com.au: Australia gets advanced neak peak at BMW K 1600 GTL

boston.com: A novel vehicle generates polarizing opinions

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Latest technology carbon fiber wheel

thevintegent.com: Building a ÔÇÿFourÔÇÖ in the 1960s

utltimatemotocycling.com: NADA adds motorcycle history reports
    Data includes information such historical title records with number of previous owners, last recorded odometer reading, and any disclosed damage to the vehicle, crash history, salvaged, rebuilt or stolen titles, VIN decoding, crushed vehicle notification, vehicle specifications, and manufacturers' recall history

Here is NADAÔÇÖs cyclechix.com
    Sample Report

wbbikeworld.com: Flexit light Review

FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by kahuhna View Post
    Mika,
    Always love the bike candy, especially when the odd SR pops up. I pass pics on to my Bro-in-law frequently, as he has two. Had one in college myself that was my second build/re-build of a bike bottom-up. Wow, what a wheelie machine. Torque monster. Hemispherical heads w/ oil-in-frame...I love riding the ones in his stable when I visit. If any friend ever wants to borrow one, ya just tell him that if they can start it, they can ride it. Kinda old school w/ compression release lever and TDC indicator window.

I sure hope Eric Buell finds an angel investor or two. Designers have been copying his innovations for years. He showed the superbikes what was possible, and is still a visionary. I test rode one of his 1200s and knew I would enjoy it waaaay too much.
    Guys like him are few and far between.

Cheers,
    Greg
    I am pleased you have a sweet tooth and like the candy here.

I have always liked the SR. It is the one that ÔÇÿgot awayÔÇÖ or one of many. The I futzed with compression releases on a BSA. A pain to get them started. Some people can pop them right off. I always had a heck of a time starting them. Once you get them going these old thumpers are a ball to ride.

My guess is Buell has more backing for his next project than many think. The exit from H-D was very difficult on several levels but if he could survive the no compete period the game would be afoot once again for him. He has survived. Now we will see what he has planed.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

The Vintegent reminded me of an August 7, 2007 Morning Reads piece I put together abut the Mammut

Bike Candy can take many forms. The common source is the work obsessively loving work of someoneÔÇÖs hands. The Feature in the 3 August M.R. was an article by The Kneeslider about the Munch Mammut Replicas by Mike Kron.

I was fascinated by the Munch Mammut when it first came out. I am even more fascinated by the care and effort Mike Kron has given to his replicas. Sit back and scroll through words and pictures from his web site: mammut-1000.de

Translation by Google Translator

?£ber mich About Me

Born 1961, grown up in motorcycle an inspired family, I already came as a boy into contact with old motorcycles (max, Horex, BMW), which my father collected and restored. The enthusiasm for historical motorcycles accompanied me from then on.

After the middle ripe one I learned KFZ mechanics, made I the training and examination following the specialized university-level graduation. The mastership examination as mechanic masters/two-wheeler mechanic masters I put 1988 down. Over a special permission I was already 1987 as an independent two-wheeler restorer actively. Constant further training and challenges with extreme restorations brought me in front on the way to the restorer for many museums and private collecting tanks.

Today I lead my restoration studio with two coworkers in an old, converted and restored farm.

Mike Kron

T?ñtigkeitsfeld: Field of Activity

In my restoration studio high-quality, detail-faithful restorations at historical two-wheelers are accomplished. My clients are private collecting tanks, single customers and museums. I work for customers from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, the Netherlands and the USA.

With a restoration are to be solved a multiplicity from different problems to. I am to be settled able all resulting tasks. The preparation of plates, muffler plants, wheel hubs, frame parts and tanks rank among the usual tasks.

Exactly the same I am in a the position new engine components such as crank case, cylinder, cylinder heads, crankshafts, carburetors, pinion-corrode, to manufacture clutches.. Often I am posed before the task to restore from a delivered framework and engine a complete and original-faithful motorcycle. Here then the parts to large extent, described above, must be manufactured. For the reconstruction of missing parts I can fall back to my extensive archives with technical periodicals, specialized technical, innumerable pictures and slides, which I carried over the years together. Likewise I have to look for the possibility in different firm archives for information.

A small however high-interesting part of my activity is the building of Replika motorcycles. I copy the following motorcycles original-faithfully:

Das Mammut Nachbau-Projekt The Mammut Reproduction Project

The lengthen-year old enthusiasm for the M?£NCH giant was still strengthened by the purchase of a M?£NCH. As necessary is the case for my order restorations, I investigated the history of the M?£NCH. In an older Motrorrad Fachzeitschrft I saw a picture of a M?£NCH, which was up to then completely unknown to me. Demands to more sieser illustrated M?£NCH with proven M?£NCH experts led this motorcycle to no result, were completely unknown.

For further investigation I visited Friedel M??nsch in its workshop in leaves oh. It could answer then the important questions to me to these shown M?£NCH. It concerned the 1. Series of the M?£NCHS, were manufactured 13 pieces by this model. A majority went to the USA into the export, mainly. Now was clear, the research to siesem M?£NCH model must in the USA be resumed.

By my friends in the USA I could attach first contacts and I found owners of such early M?£NCH motorcycles. It began an exchange of information and pictures. In the context of my research work I discovered a M?£NCH owner of the completely early time also here in Germany. I could visit it and he supported me with its whole knowledge. It saw the production with Friedel M??nch personally and made approx. 200 pictures during the structure of the M?£NCHS in Ossenheim. By the support of a M?£NCH of driver I could take up contact with one of the few German M?£NCH series 1 owner. As I him visited gave it a large surprise, it had the M?£NCH of 1967 still. This motorcycle was used now as sample motorcycle.

By our restoration work on M?£NCH motorcycles I had already after-manufactured and could many parts these the American M?£NCH collecting tanks offer. A collecting tank visited me here in my restoration studios and brought an enormous amount at information and addresses also. The next step was the USA a Forschungsreise. There I could look at myself the machines in genuine and photograph the vehicle details. My activities concerning these completely early M?£NCH then also into German M?£NCH collecting tank circles admits and was inquired, what with these early M?£NCH on itself had it.

My information collected now resulted in a completely clear picture over these first 13 built M?£NCH Motrorr?ñder. To buy there was none such motorcycle, most is in firm collecting tank hands.

My experience and knowledge in reconstructing and restoring classical motorcycles, was it only a small step for decision to copy this early M?£NCH in a limited number of items. Inquiries of three M?£NCH collecting tanks were present, so that the reproduction project was started.

Its conclusion found this project in the context of the public presentation on 11 November 2005.

Complete Photo Gallery from the 2007 post with 61 pictures of this incredible build.

Tuesday, 15 February

SBK

bikeracing.it: Ruben Xaus reaches 200 races at Phillip Island
    I wish him almost all the luck in the world.

worlsbk.com: BMW Motorrad Italia

MotoGP

motogp.com: Crrado Cecchinelli appointed MotoGP Director of Technology
    The former Ducati Director will oversee and be responsible for all technical aspects relating to the MotoGP World Championship
    ANALYSIS – motomatters.com:

Yamaha-racing.com: Yamaha Factory Racing unveiling announcement.
    There is still time to buy space before the February 21st unveiling.

ducatinewstoday.com: Ducati preferred Stoner over Rossi
    This season I do too. I pick Stoner to take the title away from Lorenzo.

Formula 1

Jerez testing day four: Williams, Ferrari, ]McLaren, Loutus Renault GP

autosport.com: Kubica continues to make good progress
    reuters.com: Kuncia faces final operation on Wednesday

On the Street

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Custom BSA Lightning
    Nice write up about a good looking bike.

bikeadvice.in: Bajaa to foucus on bikes and not scooters
    Bajaj (a stake holder in KTM) will get out of the scooter business in India and focus completely on motorcycles.

asphaltandrubber.com: Radical Ducati Mikaracer
    I did not have anything to do with naming this bike but would ride if given the chance.

HFL: Retro – 1933 Brough Superior SS100

stayontheblack.com: Honda sees 82.5% sales increase in the UK
    Any motorcycle company that is able to rack up numbers like this in January 2011 had a really bad January 2010. The fact that we are talking about Honda is even more astounding.

iol.co.za: Full details – McLaren MP4-12C

The Mothership

BMW Motorrad USA Announces Pricing for 2012 Model Year K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL
    Press Release
    Presale Program to Close Early Due to Extraordinary Customer Response

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – February 14, 2011…BMW Motorrad USA has announced pricing for the highly anticipated 2012 model year K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL tourers. The K 1600 GT will have a base Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $20,900; while the K 1600 GTL will have a base MSRP of $23,200. (Additional destination charge of $495 is not included in MSRP). Both new models will be available for purchase through authorized BMW Motorrad USA dealers this Spring.

Full Press Release

2012 BMW K1600 Series Pricing
    Inline-6 + 160 hp + 129 ft/lb
    >> $20,900 MSRP K 1600 GT
    >> $23,200 MSRP K 1600 GTL
    Presale ending Feb 28, '11

ridexperience.de: The invited press arrived in Cape Town on Monday and today they will be getting their first rides on the K 1600. We should see in saddle press reports and videos shortly.

Motorcycle USA - BMW S 1000 RR Project Bike Video - Part 1

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Last edited by Mika; 02-15-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: fix things

Wednesday, 16 February

SBK

worldsbk.com: 2011 WABK teams – Kawasaki Racing Team

bikesportnews.com: World Superbike considering change to EVO rules in 2012

On the promotional track – thisisgrimsby.co.uk: Speed king Leon Haslam was given a special sendoff from fans…

MotoGP

motogp.com: Pedrosa – “Rossi will be the unknown quantity”

Honda Pro Racing: Gallery of pictures from MotoGP testing

heralsun.com.au: MotoGP push for festival

sportrider.com: Kevin Schwantz talks Rossi, Ducati, Honda and more in MotoGP

Formula 1

autosport.com: Bahrain GP promises safe event
    jamesallenonf1.com: Sport and world politics set to collide at start of season?
    telegraph.co.uk: Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone fears Bahrain GP may be targeted by anti-government protestors

formula1.com: Brawn – Reliability is our main challenge

reuters.com: Vettel ‘would pay’ to drive Ferrari

Other Racing

stayonetheblack.com: 3 videos – Ducati 749 Turbo Drag Bike

BMW-Motorsport: From aquaplaning to reprofiling.

On the Street

motorcycledaily.com: Is the answer encapsulated hydrogen?

dealernews.com: NFL grants license for logo motorcycle, bike helmets

webbikeworld.com: Aria Vector 2 helmet review

motorcycle-usa.com: Oregon legislators look to amend helmet law
    And in Nebraska another attempt…
    ketv.com: Bill would repeal helmet law

asphaltandrubber.com: Yamaha stock drops 10% after earnings report

Harley-Davidson took many hits for its lack of representation at the 2010 Daytona but this year they are planning a big presence during Bike Week. roadracingworld.com

Bike EXIF

insurancenews.net: GPSO wins national recognition for new motorcycle safety device

The Mothership

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

YZR750(0W31)(1976-79)

A monster machine refined from the TZ750

This was a factory machine designed for competition in the World F750 and Daytona 200. The engine of the 1975 0W29 was increased to a displacement to 748cc and the chassis featured Monocross suspension and a 1-up, 3-down muffler design. The exterior styling was based on the YZR500, which distinguished it clearly from the production model TZ750. The 0W31 introduced in 1976 was developed with the 0W29 engine and the YZR500 (0W23) chassis as its base units. After that, it continued to evolve until the end of the F750 World Championship as a competition in 1979, and in its final version with six scavenging cylinders, it achieved a max. power output of 160PS and a top speed of 300km/h. The 1977 model TZ750 (domestic release in 1978) was design with feedback from the 0W31 specs.

Capacity - 748cc
    Max Power - 115PS

1st: 5 Steve Baker
    - USA, Spain, UK, Austria, Belgium
    1st: 3 Johnny Cecotto
    - Italy, France, Belgium
    1st: 4 Kenny Roberts
    - UK, Austria, Spain, USA

Want more Bike Candy? Open the fascinating box of Bike Candy that Yamaha Motor Co. has put together in their Road Racing World Championship Grand Prix 50th Anniversary site at : http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/race/wgp-50th/

Thursday, 17 February

SBK

supebikeplanet.com Vermeulen Hopes to be fit for WSBK opener, knee remains an issue

ultimatemotorcycling.com: Phillip Island and World Superbike 21 years

roadracingworld.com: Maxwell fastest during Australian Superbike testing at Phillip Island

Yamaha-racing.com: Yamaha WSBK unveils 2011 livery

bikesportnews.com: No title sponsor for Yamaha’s World Superbike team
    Business news for Yamaha is tough even on the track

MotoGP

speedtv.com: Noyes notebook – how we got here

motomatters.com: Another wash out at Estoril

Formula 1

Lotus Renault GP goes for experience over youth and in the process picks the driver most likely to prepare the car in a direction that Kubica will understand when he returns.

lotusrenaultgp.com: Nick Heidfeld joins Lotus Renault GP
    nickheidfeld.com: Nick will drive for Lotus Renault GP
    formula1.com: Renault confirm Heidfeld as Kubica standin

In 2010 Petrov’s ability to draw sponsor dollars kept Heidfeld from teaming up with Kubica, his BMW Sauber teammate. Now as a result of Kubica’s crash he has leap forged the Russian and his dollars into the no. 1 seat for LRGP until Kubica’s return. What happens then will be grist for the Silly Season rumor mill.

Even with his sponsor money Petrov was racing for his F1 life in the latter part of the season. Had Heidfeld not caught a mid season ride with Sauber some thought he was in line for a midseason Petrov replacement at Renault GP. If his lack luster performance of 2010 continues into 2011 he may find himself the one looking for a ride when the team leader returns. Lotus Renault GP seems much more stable than last years Renault GP. It is hard to walk away from an estimated $5m in sponsor money most young drivers bring to the table. Yet poor performance could make LRGP consider it when the time comes.

Then again Heidfeld is close to the dubious distinction of being the driver with the most career starts in F1 without a victory. (I don’t think he holds the record yet but I could be wrong) This year’s LRGP is probably the best car he has had to campaign in a long time. I expected to see Kubica on the top of at least one podium this year with this car. Maybe Quick Nick can rack up his first P1 with it.

If both drivers are under performing when Kubica returns it is very unlikely LRGP would look to yet another driver to team with him. Even with a full recovery Kubica will return in the no. 1 role in name but will have to train and drive his way back to true no. 1 driver form. Who he will team with will be a back story to follow.

Other Racing

sportrider.com: KTM announces RC8r Race Spec model for USA

2011 SPEA FIM X-Trial World Championship – Geneva

youtube.com: Altitude training for Honda World Motocross team

On the Street

The reports begin as expected –
    HFL: Riding the BMW K 1600 GTL
    BMW is hosting the motorcycle journalist cadre in South Africa for first ride impressions of the new K1600. The news feed should begin to fill with rider impressions. HFL is the first off the line in the deadline race.

VIDEO motorcyclenews.com: Avoiding idiots

asphaltandrubber.com: MV Agusta registers “Elephant” trademark
    Another entrant into the Adventure market is pending. Cagiva, part of the MV group of companies boasted it had plans for an Elephant model in the works as part of the hype that led to the sale of the MV group to H-D. After a brief adventure detour the bike may see the light of day.

motorcycle-usa.com via BMW Motorrad Facebook: All hail BMW M Power in S1000RR Superbike

minichi.jp: Yamaha returns to the black in 2010
    It is in the black but world wide operations cutbacks will continue

jsonline.com: Erik Buell returns to the street with a bike from the track

stuff.co.nz: All round achiever
    A look at the GS with New Zealand perspective

ultimatemotorcycling.com: EU urges motorcycle ABSI
    If you wonder why the Yamaha Tenere is missing a turn off switch for its ABS this is where you will find the cause. When production details were being finalized the EU was set to pass a very stringent regulation that in effect outlawed the turn off switch for bikes sold in the EU while requiring the development and addition of ABS for bikes that did not currently have them. Strong lobbying by industry and citizens resulted in the toned down urging of ABS

businessweek.com: Motorcycle helmets help protect against spine injury

youtube video: Harley-Davidson – Brothers of the Bike

reacalls.gov.au: Harley-Davidson Softail Body Condtro Module (BCM)

The Mothership

BMW S 1000 RR und BMW R1200 GS Adventure gewinnen 1. Platz bei der T?Âff Leserwahl 2011.
    Pressemeldung

The awards confirm the hervorra?¼gende year 2010 BMW Mo?¼torrad Switzerland.

The S 1000 RR ABS/DTC and the R 1200 GS adventure ABS the reader's choice to the motorcycle of the year 2011 of the biggest Swiss motorcycle magazine supercharged won. This award confirms the successful sales year 2010 BMW Motorcycle Switzerland and BMW Motorcycle welt?¼weit. The R 1200 GS displacement uses than single model in the segment of 500cc 1st in the motorcycle market Switzerland. The S 1000 RR is also among the top 5 and was the r 1200 GS the most ver?¼kaufte bike BMW in 2010.

This award joins a long list existing successes in Reader's choice and benchmarks. Both motorcycles have won already Aus?¼zeichnungen as "Reader's choice to the motorcycle of the year" and the "Alpine master" as well as German in the largest motorcycle magazine "Motorcycle" in their categories. The S 1000 RR ABS/DTC has also a "good design" award won. more at PressClub Swiss

FWIW

A fellow member sent me a link to The Tip of the Day from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. I am trying to figure out the best way to include this and the Tip of the Day into my posts.

Thank you for the link and look for it to appear in the Reference section regularly in the future.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

From BMW: Situated right next to the BMW Group’s headquarters in Munich, The BMW Museum is one of the most visited tourist attractions in the city. However, it is much more than a celebration of the past. On 29 January, the museum turned its spotlights on the theme of fashion and welcomed the AMD Academy of Fashion and Design for a week of exhibitions and shows.

Last edited by Mika; 02-17-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Friday, 18 February

SBK

bmw-motorrad.com: Life of Leon ÔÇô Part 1

worldsbk.com: 2011 WSBK teams ÔÇô Castrol Honda

motomatters.com: Castrol Honda WSBK press release ÔÇô Private test at Phillip Island

MotoGP

racers-republic.com: Stoner questions Aussie MotoGP date change
    Is weather the excuse or the cause?

speeddtv.com: Noyes notebook ÔÇô No love the 800s

Formula 1

pressing ahead with F1 plans but reports say Ecclestone to act quickly on decision. Reuters reports the GP could be canceled. Teams meet Friday and a decision will come early next week at the latest.

formula1.com: Successful elbow operation for Kubica

YouTube may be our only F1 fix for a while - Formula 1 2011 Red Bull Racing Selects Track Day Jerez Sebastian Vettel

Other Racing

Bikes in the Fast Lane: Help save the Nurburgring Circuit.
    Why ÔÇ£Save the NurburgringÔÇØ?
    Sing the Petition

supebikeplanet.com: Its Good to the King ÔÇô follow the money ÔÇô AMAÔÇÖs Dingman made $300K

On the Street

motorcycle.com: 2011 250cc Beginner bike shootout
    Newbs rejoice; the Honda CBR250R, Kawasaki Ninja 250R and Hyosung GT250 go head-to-head-to-head!
    As far as bike tests go, weÔÇÖre going to go out on a limb and say this is the most important one weÔÇÖll do all year ÔÇô and itÔÇÖs only February.
    I agree.

dealernews.com: Buell is back and looking to build a dealer network.

Developing a dealer network will be a big hurdle but the other option could have been what Moto Morrini is facing; a bankruptcy sale.
    motociclismo.it: Bankruptcy Moto Morrini, the last act

motorcyclenews.com: Husqvarna SMR511 coming to [UK] dealers this month

Straight 6 K 1600 GT and GTL: In the press
    ultimatemotorcycling.com

This could be an interesting destination for a early June ride
    motorsportretro.com: Sonoma Historic Motorsport Festival to feature McLaren
    If you go, take lots of pictures to share.

cycilhuzeblog.com: Sons of Anarchy star Cahlie Hunnam ÔÇ£JaxÔÇØ joins the 2011 Easyriders Rodeo Tour & Rally
    I was hoping for Abel but his mom said he could not be out that late and keep up his shooting schedule/studies.

motociclismo.es: BMW G 650 GS is renewed.
    Google says renewed we say updated either way Spain is an important market for the G 650 GS

Yamaha-motor.co.jp: Summary of Business results for the fiscal year ending December 31, 2010

world.honda.com; Summary of consolidated finacial results for fiscal 3rd quarter.

jama.ja: Japan Automobile Manufacturers Asscoiation
    December 2010 and Calendar Year 2010
    Automobile & Motorcycle Statistics and Summary

The Mothership

facebook/BMW Group: BMW Manufacturing Co. - The largest vehicle exporter rom the U.S. to non-NAFTA countries

FWIW

TED: Lisa Gansky ÔÇô the future of business is the ÔÇÿmeshÔÇØ

MSF Question of the Day: QOD- The safest type of eye protection is which of the following? http://bit.ly/icjJ9P

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

From the OttoNerro Blog amd Urban Motors of Berlin. For a mere Ôé¼25,000 you can own this BMW R100 caf?® titled Earl Grey