Page 18 of 120 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Thread: Bench Racing & The Morning Reads

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    we missed you....

Thursday 1 July

BWM Canada estimates that over 40% of the S1000RR models sold there are actively involved in track riding of some sort. To support these riders they have announced a HP Parts program for the S1000RR.

No news yet from BMW US about a similar program here.

High Performance for the race track. The HP Race Parts program for the BMW S 1000 RR.
    ÔÇó 30.06.2010
    ÔÇó Press Release

Munich. With the S 1000 RR, BMW Motorrad offers a supersports bike which provides an impressive overall package of power, performance and safety for both country roads and the racing circuit.

Since the model launch, an extensive range of BMW Motorrad motorcycle equipment has been available for the S 1000 RR. This accessory program is now being consistently expanded to include special products for use on the race track - the High Performance Race Parts.

In this way, BMW Motorrad is responding to the fact that over 40 percent motorcyclists are actively involved in track riding - either race track training or professionally in national racing series.

For this reason, BMW Motorrad will be offering race track riders special products which are approved solely for use on the race track and are not authorised for road use.

The first in the range will be the HP Race Cover Kit and the HP Race Power Kit, which will be available from July 2010. Other HP Race Parts such as the HP Race Calibration Kit, the HP Race shift-pattern reversal and the HP Race right footrest plate will be available from the fourth quarter of 2010.

HP Race Cover Kit.

For use on the race track, the mirrors, front direction indicators and licence plate holder including rear direction indicators are usually removed. The HP Race Cover Kit provides covers to replace the missing parts so as to give the motorcycle the perfect racing trim in visual terms, too.

The kit includes two covers for the mirrors, two covers for the front direction indicators, a cover for underside of tail section as well as a blue fabric bag with white "HP High Performance Parts" lettering in which to keep the covers.

HP Race Power Kit.

With the HP Race Power Kit BMW Motorrad meets race track ridersÔÇÖ needs with regard to further increased performance.

An Akrapovič?« racing exhaust system made of light titanium not only ensures significantly reduced exhaust back pressure but also saves weight. The dB Eater (98 dB) included means that more stringent limitations imposed by race track operators can be adhered to if necessary.

A feature already used by many racing teams, the racing control unit with racing data status provides optimised engine qualities and a significant increase in torque, especially in the medium engine speed range which is so important in racing.

The data status developed for race track use ensures optimisation of the ride modes (RAIN, SPORT, RACE, SLICK) as well as Dynamic Traction Control (DTC), providing further enhanced acceleration, traction and therefore performance.
    The device is authorised by means of a code which is entered in the control unit by the BMW Motorrad dealer.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Wednesday 7 July

The Brno track is a modern track that puts emphasis on power. The track is wide making the chicanes fast. Elevation changes of over 7% put a premium on engine power. This could be a SBK engine shootout between BMW and Aprilia.

BMW sounds very upbeat going into Brno this weekend. Corser is hot right now and Brno could fan the flames. He notched a 5th last year and three of his career wins were added to his resume on the Check track. With this years improvements the track may mean more podiums.

Xaus apparently has done well at Imola testing racking up the 7th fastest time for the two days of testing. With few exceptions testing and qualifying have not been major problems for Xaus, it is racing that has been his problem. Improvements in his performance have quieted rumors of his departure but it must be putting a fire in his performance. He must have strong showings to keep his coming vacation to the scheduled SBK summer break and not an extended one.

BMW Motorrad Motorsport Press Release

Following a successful weekend at Misano just over a week ago, where BMW Motorrad Motorsport achieved its first ever pole position and Troy Corser secured his second podium of the year, the team is heading to the Automotodrom Brno in the Czech Republic for round 9 of the 2010 Superbike World Championship.

Following the teamÔÇÖs best performance to date and full of confidence, Troy Corser is relishing a return to the Brno circuit, where he has enjoyed more WSBK victories than any other rider (with three wins to date). Furthermore, this is also the track where he achieved his best result (5th) in 2009 for BMW Motorrad Motorsport.

Troy Corser: ÔÇ£I am feeling really positive about Brno. Misano was a great weekend for me and the team because we made another step closer to the top guys. We could have won the first race if it hadnÔÇÖt been for a small mistake on my part. We didnÔÇÖt expect to be as strong as we were. Brno was a best result last year with a fifth position so we know itÔÇÖs a track that favours the S 1000 RR. We have made huge steps since then in terms of development, which means we are going there even stronger. I really like the circuit; I have an idea on set-up already and I think we have the package to be really strong.ÔÇØ

Following a two-day test in Imola last week, where Ruben Xaus was the seventh fastest rider overall on his S 1000 RR, the likeable Spaniard is determined to convert this speed into results at the Czech RepublicÔÇÖs flowing circuit.

Ruben Xaus: "I hope I can have a positive weekend in Brno. Last year I sustained a painful injury following a crash there which prevented me from pushing as much as I would have liked. I want to put in a good performance this weekend and draw a line under the disappointment of last year. For me, it is crucial that I find my rhythm in the coming races. The bike is getting better and better, and the power is really strong, which should help us at a fast track like Brno. It is important that I make another step forward and focus on riding smoothly, as there are many long turns."

For Director of BMW Motorrad Motorsport Berti Hauser, the enormous progress made so far in 2010 is plain for all to see. The team already has more points (152) after eight rounds of the series in the Manufacturer standings than it did for the entire 2009 season. Troy Corser holds a strong sixth position on the leaderboard ÔÇô only nine points behind the fourth placed rider. With five rounds and 10 races of this yearÔÇÖs series remaining, anything can still happen.

Berthold Hauser, BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director: "In Misano we achieved our first ever pole position and our second podium finish of the season. We have finished in the top five seven times already this season, the latest tests in Mugello, Misano, and then in Imola have been promising, and the race weekend in Misano was a great result for the BMW Motorrad Motorsport Team. I am confident that we can build further in Brno and put in another strong performance."

BMW wants to move up the grid in the manufacturerÔÇÖs championship. It has been looking at the companies and bikes ahead of it. In 2011 it may look over its shoulder and see something closing in on it.

Kawasaki has been languishing in last place. Team Green has suffered through poor performance on the track the corporate board room and the show room. There is encouraging news for racing fans. A new Ninja ZX-10R has been in development and surfaced in testing in Japan at the Suzuka track. In basic black livery the bike has displays the angular lines that mark it as a Kawasaki.

The all-new Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R has been in development for some time now, and it has now been exposed to some degree of public exposure on the racetrack for the first time.

In ÔÇÿstealth' black carbon fibre bodywork, the swooping and angular lines of the machine are well in evidence, although engine architecture and other details are hidden by the full bodywork and the large radiator.

The machine was tested at Suzuka in Japan by Hidemichi Takahashi, with former Kawasaki WSB race winner Akira Yanagawa due to test the machine next.

Adaptive headlight

BMW ORACLE Racing celebrates 33rd AmericaÔÇÖs Cup win at the White House

ÔÇó 05.07.2010
    ÔÇó Press Release

Washington, D.C., June 30, 2010 -- The BMW ORACLE Racing team celebrated their historic AmericaÔÇÖs Cup win at the White House with President Barack Obama on Tuesday.

Led by team owner Larry Ellison (USA) and representing San FranciscoÔÇÖs Golden Gate Yacht Club, BMW ORACLE Racing won the AmericaÔÇÖs Cup in February ÔÇô the first time an American team has won the Cup in 18 years.

ÔÇ£We are enormously proud to bring the AmericaÔÇÖs Cup back to the United States after a very long absence,ÔÇØ Ellison said. ÔÇ£This team represents what can be achieved when talented people pursue their dreams with a single-minded sense of purpose. The AmericaÔÇÖs Cup is the pinnacle of every sailorÔÇÖs ambition; now that weÔÇÖve won, we will focus equally hard on successfully defending the oldest trophy in international sport.ÔÇØ

The AmericaÔÇÖs Cup represents one of the most demanding sporting and technological achievements in the world. The oldest trophy in international sport, it has been contested 33 times, and held by just six yacht clubs over its 159-year history.

EllisonÔÇÖs BMW ORACLE Racing team is an international line-up of the best sailing, design, engineering and boatbuilding talent in the world. With 150 people from 17 nations, the team built an innovative 90-foot trimaran, powered by a towering wing sail - the largest wing of any type ever constructed - to prevail 2-0 over the Swiss defender, Alinghi in a match off Valencia, Spain in February.

The trimaran, USA 17, was a reflection of the American tradition of innovation and cutting-edge technology. USA 17 is the fastest and most technologically advanced Cup boat in history and, like several of EllisonÔÇÖs previous AmericaÔÇÖs Cup boats, USA 17 was built in Anacortes, WA. The sailing team then spent over one year testing and refining the design at its training base in San Diego, CA.

The AmericaÔÇÖs Cup has been to the White House on one other occasion - President Reagan welcomed the iconic Cup skipper Dennis Conner to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue after his American team won the trophy back from Australia in 1987.
    The visit to the White House marked the beginning of an East Coast tour for the BMW ORACLE Racing team and the AmericaÔÇÖs Cup.

On Wednesday, the team made an appearance on ÔÇÿThe Early ShowÔÇÖ on CBS in New York City, before skipper Jimmy Spithill rang the opening bell of the NASDAQ exchange.

The tour continues on Thursday in Newport, Rhode Island, where the Cup will be on public display and the team will be featured at a Sail Newport luncheon and a special presentation for junior sailors at Fort Adams.

The AmericaÔÇÖs Cup, first contested in 1851, currently resides at the Golden Gate Yacht Club in San Francisco, the home club of BMW ORACLE Racing. Only two other American yacht clubs have held the trophy ÔÇô New York Yacht Club and San Diego Yacht Club. SDYC lost the Cup to Team New Zealand in 1995, the last time the AmericaÔÇÖs Cup was held in the United States. In 2003 the Swiss-based Team Alinghi won the Cup from New Zealand. On February 14, 2010, off Valencia, Spain, BMW ORACLE Racing defeated Team Alinghi 2-0. Intensive planning for the next edition is underway, with the finals expected in 2013 or 2014 at a venue to be determined by the American team.

In addition to the main team website, www.bmworacleracing.com, team friends can follow the blog at http://bmworacleracingblog.blogspot.com, or You Tube at http://www.youtube.com/bmworacleracingteam, or on Twitter at http://twitter.com/bmworacle2010. Images are available at www.bmor-photo.com.

Friday, 9 July

Xaus and Corser trade roles resulting in a hard start to Brno for Corser

Friday started with a bang for BMW Motorrad. Xaus piped Corser recording the third fastest time in FridayÔÇÖs warm up session and leaving the Australian in fourth. This seemed to be a very auspicious start to the racing weekend.

The competition dipped deeper into their bags of tricks for Friday Qualifying 1. Xaus lost three spots but took a very respectable 6th for the session. Corser was able to score a 12th place time for the session before taking a heavy crash on his final flying lap for the session.

Corser was flown to hospital and is being held for observation. The initial reports are no serious injuries and he should be ÔÇ£fitÔÇØ to ride in SaturdayÔÇÖs Super Pole rounds.

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - WSBK - Brno - Qualifying Practice 1

ÔÇó 09.07.2010
    ÔÇó Press Release
    Weather conditions: Hot, sunny.
    Temperature: Air: 29 ÔÇô 31 ??C, Track: 55 ÔÇô 56 ??C
    Number of riders participating: 22 from 13 teams

Fastest lap Free Practice: Michel Fabrizio (Ducati Xerox Team) 1:59.917 min
    Fastest lap Qualifying Practice 1: Noriyuki Haga (Ducati Xerox Team) 1:59.277 min

Programme:
    Shock and relief ÔÇô Team BMW Motorrad experienced both during the first day of the FIM Superbike World Championship weekend in Brno. While both riders, Ruben Xaus (ESP) and Troy Corser (AUS), started the weekend well, Troy crashed heavily on his final lap of Qualifying Practice 1. Initial medical reports confirm he has no serious injuries. He was taken to the hospital in Brno for further precautionary checks.

Ruben Xaus:
    Bike: BMW S 1000 RR
    Fastest lap Free Practice: 2:00.417 min (3rd) / Fastest lap Qualifying 1: 2:00.273 min (6th)

ÔÇ£More than anything else I hope Troy is okay, and I hope he can ride tomorrow. Apart from that, I feel quite confident. The bike is working very well. We had a successful test in Imola, and we did not change the set-up very much. Physically, I am still struggling a little bit with my injured calf, but I am a lot better than I was in Imola. I can now do more than just a couple of laps in a row. Now I need to rest to be well-prepared for tomorrow.ÔÇØ

Troy Corser:
    Fastest lap Free Practice: 2:00.580 min (4th) / Fastest lap Qualifying 1: 2:00.508 min (12th)

Davide Tardozzi (BMW Motorrad Motorsport Team Manager):ÔÇ£Most important is the news that Troy is not badly injured. We all feel sorry for him, and we hope that he will be okay as soon as possible. This is the only thing we are concerned about. He was flown to Brno by the helicopter for further precautionary checks.ÔÇØ

Brno - SUPERBIKE - Qualifying 1

1.  Noriyuki Haga1'59.277 (Ducati Xerox Team)
    2.  Cal Crutchlow1'59.571 (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team)
    3.  Michel Fabrizio1'59.730 (Ducati Xerox Team)
    4.  Carlos Checa2'00.153 (Althea Racing)
    5.  Max Biaggi2'00.174 (Aprilia Alitalia Racing)
    6.  Ruben Xaus2'00.273 (BMW Motorrad Motorsport)
    7.  Jakub Smrz(Team PATA B&2'00.348 G Racing)
    8.  Jonathan Rea2'00.442 (HANNspree Ten Kate Honda)
    9.  James Toseland2'00.451 (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team)
    10.  Luca Scassa2'00.463 (Supersonic Racing Team)
    11.  Lorenzo Lanzi2'00.475 (DFX Corse)
    12.  Troy Corser2'00.508 (BMW Motorrad Motorsport)
    13.  Shane Byrne2'00.534 (Althea Racing)
    14. Max  Neukirchner2'00.701 (HANNspree Ten Kate Honda)
    15.  Sylvain Guintoli2'00.739 (Team Suzuki Alstare)
    16.  Leon Camier2'00.745 (Aprilia Alitalia Racing)
    17.  Leon Haslam2'01.003 (Team Suzuki Alstare)
    18.  Tom Sykes2'01.026 (Kawasaki Racing Team)
    19.  Chris Vermeulen2'01.497 (Kawasaki Racing Team)
    20.  Broc Parkes2'01.805 (ECHO CRS Honda)
    21.  Matteo Baiocco2'02.239 (Team Pedercini)
    22.  Roger Lee Hayden2'02.684 (Team Pedercini)

Brno - Rider Form Guide

ÔÇó Max Biaggi has always finished his Brno races in the top four, winning race 2 in 2007 and race 1 last year, for a total of five podium placements. He adds to that four consecutive wins from 1994 to 1997 in the 250cc world championship and three more wins (1998, 2000 and 2002) in 500cc/MotoGP;

ÔÇó Shane Byrne was able to finish both races in the points last year: fourth and eighth;

ÔÇó one podium placement out of four starts for Carlos Checa, second in race 1 last year. In the 500cc/MotoGP championship he never managed to finish on the podium out of thirteen races contested here;

ÔÇó Troy Corser won three times in Brno: both races in 1996 and the first one in 2005. Troy added two more podiums to that, with a second in race 2, 2005 and a second in race 1, 2008. Corser started from pole in 1996 and 2005;

ÔÇó Six podium places out of eight races run for Michel Fabrizio, who scored here his maiden podium in 2006. His only retirement is from last year, when he crashed and took out Ben Spies while fighting for the lead;

ÔÇó Noriyuki Haga won the second 2005 race in Brno and climbed on the podium in third in the second race the following year. The Japanese rider completed all his ten races in Brno inside the top-10. He scored pole in 2006 and 2007;

ÔÇó Only one finish in the top-10 in both races run here last year by Leon Haslam, seventh in race 1;

ÔÇó Lorenzo Lanzi obtained here his best results in the first two of the ten races he ran in Brno, in 2005 with a double sixth place. In the last two editions he retired twice in the first two races. In race 2 last year he scored his worst result, fifteenth;

ÔÇó Max Neukirchner obtained his best results in the last two races run here: fifth and seventh in 2008;

ÔÇó Broc Parkes was twelfth and sixteenth last year, he managed to climb on the podium in the 2006 Supersport race in second behind team-mate Kevin Curtain;

ÔÇó Last year Jonathan Rea managed to finish on the podium behind Biaggi and Checa in race 1. In race 2 he finished fourth. He was also able to climb on the podium in third in the 2008 Supersport race;

ÔÇó Luca Scassa is looking for his first points in this track. In the Superstock 1000 class he managed to score pole in 2006 finishing second behind Ayrton Badovini;

ÔÇó Jakub Smrz raced six times in Brno, finishing inside the top-10 in both 2009 races: sixth and ninth;

ÔÇó James Toseland has an excellent record in Brno: he won in 2007, race 1 and was second three times. He always started from the front row in Brno. In MotoGP he was able to finish in the top-10 in 2009 (ninth);

ÔÇó A podium placement out of two races run here for Chris Vermeulen, third in race 2 in 2005. In MotoGP he finished two times out of four in the top-10, with a fifth in 2007 and a sixth in 2008;

ÔÇó A problematic track for Ruben Xaus, who retired four times out of eighth, and was forced to abandon the weekend after race 1 last year. Ruben hasn't seen the chequered flag at Brno since 2007.

Ayrton Badovini and BMW Motorrad Italia STK are seeking to extend their undefeated string in Superstock 1000. Bradovini has owned the top step of the race day podium this season but not the race pole and qualified second for SundayÔÇÖs race.

Brno - SUPERSTOCK 1000 - Qualifying 1

1.  Maxime Berger2'03.950 (Ten Kate Race Junior)
    2. Ayrton  Badovini2'04.245 (BMW Motorrad Italia STK)
    3.  Sylvain Barrier2'04.322 (Garnier Junior Racing)
    4.  Andrea Antonelli2'04.476 (Team Lorini)
    5. Lorenzo  Baroni(Team Pata B&2'04.853 G Racing)
    6.  Eddi La Marra2'05.183 (Team Lorini)
    7.  Michele Magnoni2'05.449 (Bevilacqua Corse)
    8. Marco  Bussolotti2'05.627 (All Service System by QDP)
    9.  Dominic Lammert2'05.786 (Lammert Motorsport)
    10. Micha?½l  Savary2'05.889 (Motoracingparts STK1000)
    11.  Danilo Petrucci2'05.919 (Team Pedercini)
    12.  Ren?¿ M?Ñhr2'06.010 (MTM Racing Team)
    13. Daniele  Beretta2'06.113 (BMW Motorrad Italia STK)
    14.  Lorenzo Zanetti2'06.200 (SS Lazio Motorsport)
    15. Michal  Sembera2'06.255 (Automotoklub Masarykuv Okruh)
    16.  Loris Baz2'06.479 (MRS Racing)
    17.  Ondrej Jezek2'06.938 (MS Racing)
    18.  Marcin Walkowiak2'06.968 (Bogdanka Racing)
    19.  Tomas Svitok2'07.213 (SMS Racing)
    20.  Pere Tutusaus2'07.251 (Goeleven)
    21.  Davide Giugliano2'07.605 (Team06)
    22.  Chris Leeson2'07.892 (Team Pedercini)
    23.  Nico Vivarelli2'08.582 (Goeleven)
    24.  Philippe Thiriet2'09.529 (SMS Racing)
    25.  Mateusz Stoklosa2'09.576 (Lammert Motorsport)
    26.  Danilo Andric2'09.771 (Kuja Racing)
    27.  Michal Salac2'09.782 (MS Racing)
    28.  Kim Arne Sletten2'10.404 (MTM Racing Team)

Saturday, 10 July

The Brno role reversal continues in dramatic fashion for both Corser and Xaus.

All the best for a speedy recovery for Troy Corser.

Xaus steps up the pace and takes a front row place.

Troy Corser will not race in Brno.

ÔÇó 10.07.2010
    ÔÇó Press Release

Brno, 10th July 2010. Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport rider, Troy Corser (AUS), will not race in Brno (CZE) after his heavy crash during FridayÔÇÖs Qualifying Practice session. After discussions with the team doctor, Dr. Vincenzo Tota, and the team management, Troy decided not to compete in the FIM Superbike World Championship sessions on Saturday and the races on Sunday. According to medical reports, the 38-years-old rider suffered bruising all over his body.

Troy Corser:ÔÇ£Unfortunately I cannot race this weekend. I feel quite exhausted right now, and I have a pain in my chest. It was a huge impact, and I am happy I was not hurt badly. I remember the crash pretty well: I somehow lost the rear, and then I highsided. I would have loved to race in Brno, but we all agree I need a couple of days to rest now to be able to start in Silverstone.ÔÇØ

BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director Berthold Hauser:ÔÇ£First of all, we all are more than happy Troy is okay so far and not more seriously hurt after his heavy crash. The bike somehow hit him and the impact was severe. According to Dr. Vincenzo Tota, Troy was thoroughly checked in the hospital. His injuries seem to be limited to several bruises, but he will need some time to recover over the next couple of days. We agreed unanimously it would be too risky to send him out racing here, although he is able to leave the hospital. Of course, we all feel sorry for Troy and it is a shame he cannot compete this weekend. We now hope he will be 100 per cent fit for the next race weekend in Silverstone.ÔÇØ

Meanwhile back at the track ÔÇô Xaus hammered his tyres and landed a 4th position on the grid starting on the front row and the race to turn one.

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - WSBK - Brno - Superpole

ÔÇó 10.07.2010
    ÔÇó Press Release
    Temperature: Air: 27 ÔÇô 32??C, Track: 46 ÔÇô 62??C
    Fastest lap Qualifying Practices: Michel Fabrizio (Ducati Xerox Team) 1:58.695 min
    Fastest lap Superpole 3: Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team) 1:58.018 min

After Troy CorserÔÇÖs (AUS) heavy crash on Friday, Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport rider Ruben Xaus (ESP) gave the people in the BMW garage a reason to be happy on Saturday: In scorching conditions, the Catalan rider secured his best ever qualifying result with the young team. He will start SundayÔÇÖs races from the front row of the grid. The 32-years-old finished the Superpole qualifying fourth, only four hundredths of a second off third placed Jonathan Rea (GBR). ReaÔÇÖs compatriot Cal Crutchlow will start from pole position, just in front of Italian Max Biaggi.

Ruben Xaus:
    Fastest lap Qualifying Practices: 1:59.725 min / Fastest lap Free Practice: 1:59.632 min / Fastest lap Superpole 3: 1:59.135 min

ÔÇ£First of all I hope Troy will be fit soon, and he can race in Silverstone. Obviously I am really happy with todayÔÇÖs result. I was not expecting fourth. I am still feeling the effects from the injury I sustained in Misano. My team has done a great job today and I must once again thank them for all their efforts and their hard work. Unfortunately I used two qualifying tyres in Superpole 2 to ensure I made it to Superpole 3. Therefore I went out in the final session with worn tyres and was unable to put in a really fast time. This really is the first time this year I have been able to benefit from the qualifying tyre, and I hope I can continue like this. We still have some areas where we can improve the bike, but overall it was incredible. I am really looking forward to the races tomorrow.ÔÇØ

Troy Corser:
    DNS

don't you just love templates and how they really personalize a press release

Davide Tardozzi (BMW Motorrad Motorsport Team Manager):
    ÔÇ£The team and I are very, very happy with RubenÔÇÖs performance today. This is the best ever qualifying position for Ruben with this team and this is what we know he is capable of. Obviously it is disappointing not to have Troy out there, but Ruben did a great job for the whole team. It is quite clear to see the bike is improving, and Ruben is developing a good feeling. I think we could see both riders challenging for the top in future races. Our aim for tomorrowÔÇÖs races is the top five. So letÔÇÖs wait and see.ÔÇØ

Worldsbk.com:

Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha Sterilgarda) saved his best for last to take a new track best and head up Superpole qualifying, his fourth pre-race 'win' of the 2010 season. Crutchlow was over 0.7 seconds faster than the next best rider, and in nine Superpoles this year, he has the best individual record. Behind him, Max Biaggi (Aprilia Alitalia) was second at his favourite circuit on the calendar, as he prepares to go out tomorrow and defend a 37-point championship lead. A resurgent Jonathan Rea (Hannspree Ten Kate Honda) was a positive third, as he rebuilds from some less than satisfying recent results. Ruben Xaus (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) finished an impressive fourth, earning himself a front row start. He had crashed heavily here last year but today's result wiped out many memories of his 2009 misfortune.

Xaus's BMW being fourth means that there are four different machines on the front row, and with Sylvain Guintoli (Suzuki Alstare) and Luca Scassa (Supersonic Ducati) fifth and sixth restively, there are six different bikes in the top six grid slots. Scassa, a privateer, was top Ducati rider of any kind, with Ducati Xerox factory pilot Michel Fabrizio one place behind. Carlos Checa (Althea Ducati) will start from row two, taking eighth place as the last rider home in the final Superpole session. Lorenzo Lanzi (DFX Corse Ducati) just missed the final eight places of Superpole three, with James Toseland (Yamaha Sterilgarda) tenth. Max Neukirchner went 11th for Hannspree Ten Kate Honda and Tom Sykes ended a fruitful day 12th and on the third row for the Kawasaki Racing Team. Noriyuki Haga (Ducati Xerox) crashed in two Superpole sessions, and now starts from the fourth row; championship contender Leon Haslam (Suzuki Alstare) is only one place ahead of him.

Brno - SUPERBIKE - Superpole 3

1.  Cal Crutchlow1'58.018 (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team)
    Cal Crutchlow: "I definitely hoped to be here and I'd rather give away a pole for a race win, but you've got to take them when you can. I enjoyed that, it was a good session for us. Most of the sessions have been strong and my Yamaha is working well. Max is hard to beat in the championship and especially round here. I can see a big battle tomorrow, maybe ten guys at least at the start. I thought I could have got into the 57s because I was riding very deep into the corners, and I actually had another qualifier left but I'm happy with that."

2.  Max Biaggi1'58.743 (Aprilia Alitalia Racing)
    Max Biaggi: "A first row result is good for me, but compared to last year's race we've got a lot more work to do this weekend. Something we changed on the bike makes it a bit different so it's not the same feeling. It's better in other tracks but here we've got some difficulties. It's getting a little bit better, the bike is not where I want, but I'm happy with my pace. We'll see tomorrow."

3.  Jonathan Rea1'59.094 (HANNspree Ten Kate Honda)
    Jonathan Rea: "It is hot out there, but there's a lot of breeze so it's not too bad. I actually didn't really know where to go after Superpole because I haven't been in the top 3 for some time. I'd just like to thank all of my team, our package isn't perfect but what we do have in the Ten Kate garage is a really hard work ethic and we're trying. Hopefully we can get away good tomorrow and try and stay with these two guys as long as we can. I've got nothing to lose!"

4.  Ruben Xaus1'59.135 (BMW Motorrad Motorsport)
    Ruben Xaus: "First of all I'd like to give my best to Troy and hope he recovers as soon as possible because when two riders are on the team on fire, they go ahead. We did a good job today, the bike is now working well, we made a big step in Imola and physically I'm not feeling perfect but I was able to ride fast."

5.  Sylvain Guintoli1'59.179 (Team Suzuki Alstare)
    6.  Luca Scassa1'59.393 (Supersonic Racing Team)
    7.  Michel Fabrizio1'59.451 (Ducati Xerox Team)
    8.  Carlos Checa1'59.571 (Althea Racing)
    9.  Lorenzo Lanzi1'59.699 (DFX Corse)
    10. James  Toseland1'59.699 (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team)
    11. Max  Neukirchner1'59.829 (HANNspree Ten Kate Honda)
    12.  Tom Sykes1'59.830 (Kawasaki Racing Team)
    13.  Leon Camier1'59.841 (Aprilia Alitalia Racing)
    14.  Leon Haslam1'59.995 (Team Suzuki Alstare)
    15.  Noriyuki Haga2'00.258 (Ducati Xerox Team)
    16.  Shane Byrne2'00.564 (Althea Racing)
    17.  Jakub Smrz(Team PATA B&2'00.341 G Racing)
    18.  Chris Vermeulen2'01.167 (Kawasaki Racing Team)
    19.  Matteo Baiocco2'01.523 (Team Pedercini)
    20.  Troy Corser2'00.508 (BMW Motorrad Motorsport)
    21.  Broc Parkes2'01.463 (ECHO CRS Honda)
    22.  Roger Lee Hayden2'01.826 (Team Pedercini)

WSS 1000

I still donÔÇÖt have the flow of this division down, and that is good because yesterday I gave Ten Kate Jr the pole and in Saturday qualifying BMW Italia rider Ayrton Badovini took the pole for SundayÔÇÖs Super Stock race.

Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia STK) took pole at Brno by only 0.013 seconds from Maxime Berger (Ten Kate Race Junior Honda) setting up what looks like a classic race tomorrow at a track at which Berger has always shown good form.

Sylvain Barrier (Garnier Racing BMW) was third in qualifying and the Ducati of Lorenzo Zanetti (SS Lazio Motorsport) was fourth, making for a cosmopolitan front row. Michele Magnoni (Bevilaqua Corse) was a strong fifth on his Honda
    [img]http://m1ka.smugmug.com/photos/929912800_k84hW-O.jpg[/img[

For all its problems on the track the numbers show BMW is having a winning season in the worldÔÇÖs showrooms.

BMW Group retail grows 13.1% in first half year
    ÔÇó 08.07.2010
    ÔÇó Press Release

Double-digit growth at BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce again in June
    Rolls-Royce sells more cars than ever before
    Positive sales trend continues in Motorcycles segment

Munich. The BMW Group has ended the first half-year with substantial growth in sales. A total of 696,026 (prev. yr. 615,454) BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce brand automobiles were delivered to customers worldwide in the first six months of the year ÔÇô an increase of 13.1%. In June, sales volumes rose 12.2% to 143,157 (prev. yr. 127.556) vehicles. The company made gains in virtually all markets during the first half-year, with sales in China, the American and European markets in particular reporting the strongest growth. On the product side, the BMW X1, 5 Series GT and Z4 models, together with the BMW 7 Series, were among the main growth drivers in the first half of the year. The new BMW 5 Series Sedan also got off to a strong start ÔÇô roughly 25,000 models have already been sold since its European launch in mid-March.

Ian Robertson, member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, responsible for Sales and Marketing: ÔÇ£In some cases, the automobile markets are recovering much faster than expected. We had a successful first half-year with retail growth of 13.1%, and were able to maintain our position as the worldÔÇÖs leading premium manufacturer.ÔÇØ Robertson added: ÔÇ£We aim to continue this upward trend in the second half of the year. Besides the new BMW 5 Series Sedan, a large number of new models, including the new BMW 5 Series Touring, the new BMW X3 and the MINI Countryman, will help us achieve this.ÔÇ£

The company reported sales growth in almost all regions and all automobile markets in the first half of the year. In Europe, deliveries increased 3.9% to reach a total of 389,601 (prev. yr. 374,923) units. Most of this increase came from high-volume markets such as the UK (73,000 / +20.4%), France (34,235 / +11.6%), Spain (23,426 / +35.9%) and Belgium/Luxemburg (20,474 / +16.5%).
    In a sharply declining overall market (-28.7%), the company was able to maintain new vehicle registrations very close to last yearÔÇÖs level in its largest sales market of Germany, at a total of 135,421 (prev. yr. 136,769 / -1.0%) BMW and MINI sales, and expand its market share significantly to 9.2%. However, the BMW brand was the only premium brand in Germany to make gains in the first six months. With a total of 120,262 (prev. yr. 118,960) vehicles sold here, 1.1% more new BMW automobiles were registered than in the same period last year.
    The company also remained on its growth track in its strongest export market: In the US, 121,585 (prev. yr. 114,448) BMW and MINI vehicles ÔÇô 6.2 percent more units ÔÇô were delivered to customers. The BMW Group therefore remains the best-selling European premium carmaker in the US market. With 23,331 (prev. yr. 20,849) BMW and MINI deliveries and growth of 11.9%, June was also the strongest month so far this year in the US.

In Asia, BMW Group volumes climbed 57.5% between January and June (128,483 / prev. yr. 81,586). The Chinese market continued to see exceptionally dynamic growth. With sales of 75,615 vehicles in the first half of the year (prev. yr. 37,627 / +101.0%), the company more than doubled its retail volume here from the same period last year. The BMW Group also reported strong gains in the other ÔÇ£BRICÔÇØ countries, Brazil (+131.4%), Russia (+24.5%) and India (+25.0%), as well as in the markets of Africa (+26.8%) and Oceania (+13.8%).

BMW brand sales rose 14.1% to 585,755 automobiles (prev. yr. 513,591) in the period under review. In June, the brand delivered 119,663 (prev. yr. 105,232) vehicles to customers worldwide ÔÇô an increase of 13.7%. Growth drivers in the first half-year were mainly the BMW X1, with 46,705 units, and the BMW 5 Series GT, with 11,803 units. Strong gains were also made by large model series, such as the BMW 7 Series with 30,711 deliveries (+50.0% / prev. yr. 20,479) and the BMW X5 and X6 models with a combined total of 68,632 (+7.1% / prev. yr. 64,078) deliveries. The strongest growth in the first half of the year was reported by the BMW Z4 Roadster with 14,236 (+74.7% / prev. yr. 8,148) vehicles sold. The BMW 7 Series, the BMW X5/X6 and the BMW Z4 remain the global market leaders in their respective segments. Volumes also increased for what is traditionally BMWÔÇÖs highest-volume series: Overall, the 3 Series made gains of 3.0%, with 199,027 (prev. yr. 193,186) deliveries in the period between January and June. Robertson: ÔÇ£This yearÔÇÖs most important new model is the new BMW 5 Series. The new BMW 5 Series Sedan, launched in March, has already found 25,000 customers. In June, we also introduced this model in the US ÔÇô and the car has also been extremely well received here.ÔÇØ

In the first half of the year, sales of MINI brand automobiles were 7.6% higher than the same period last year at 109,301 (prev. yr. 101,534) units. In June, the brand sold 23,202 (prev. yr. 22,271 / +4.2%) units worldwide. Robertson: ÔÇ£With the addition of the new MINI Countryman in the autumn, the MINI family will expand to include four versions. Together with extensive updates to the existing model range, the first MINI crossover model will provide a strong impetus for growth in the second half of the year.ÔÇØ From mid-September onwards, the current MINI models (MINI, MINI Clubman and MINI Convertible) will also receive striking design modifications, additional engine variants, a completely revised selection of diesel engines and innovative new equipment options.

Rolls-Royce has never sold as many cars in a half-year period as this year since the company launched in 2003. With 970 (prev. yr. 329) deliveries so far, growth in the first six months surged 194.8%. Robertson: ÔÇ£Compared with June 2009, Rolls-Royce sales more than quintupled last month to 292 (prev. yr. 53) deliveries. With this monthly and half-year result, we are well on our way to meeting our full-year target of more than doubling Rolls-RoyceÔÇÖs total sales.ÔÇØ

In the first half-year of 2010, BMW Motorrad sold 57,015 (prev. yr. 46,972) vehicles. This represents a retail growth of 21.4 % from the first half of 2009. The positive global trend for BMW Motorrad continued in June. Despite the negative trend on the global motorcycle markets, BMW Motorrad was able to sell more motorcycles year-on-year for the sixth consecutive month. In June, a total of 11,584 (prev. yr. 9,402 / +23.2%) vehicles were delivered to customers. The bestseller list was topped by the large long-distance enduro, the R 1200 GS, which is the worldÔÇÖs best-selling motorcycle in the segment for large capacity bikes in the 500 cc plus class. In the year to the end of June, no less than 6,459 (in June 1,223) units of the S 1000 RR, BMW MotorradÔÇÖs first supersport motorcycle, were delivered to customers worldwide ÔÇô earning it second place in the supersport segment among the 1000 cc class sport bikes.
    At a technology day to present BMWÔÇÖs first in-line six-cylinder motorcycle engine in early July, the business unit provided a first glimpse of its next product offensive. In the future, the engine will power two luxurious new BMW touring bikes, the K 1600 GT and the K 1600 GTL, which will be presented to the public in autumn 2010. Both models will be distinguished by their innovative technology, superior engine smoothness and state-of-the-art fuel consumption.

BMW Group sales in / up to June 2010 at a glance

In June 2010

Compared to previous year
    Up to/incl. June 2010 - Compared to previous year

BMW Group Automobiles
    143,157 +12.2% - 696,026 +13.1%

BMW
    119,663 +13.7% - 585,755 +14.1%

MINI
    23,202 +4.2% - 109,301 +7.6%

Rolls-Royce Motor Cars
    292 +450.9% - 970 +194.8%

BMW Motorcycles
    11,584 +23.2% - 7,015 +21.4%

Tuesday, 13 July

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - WSBK - Brno - RacesÔÇó 11.07.2010

ÔÇó Press Release
    Temperature: Air: 27 ÔÇô 31 ??C, Track: 33 ÔÇô 57 ??C
    Fastest lap Race 1: Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team) 1:59.964 min
    Fastest lap Race 2: Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team) 1:59.291 min

There were mixed emotions in the garage of Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport after an eventful FIM Superbike World Championship race weekend in Brno (CZE): After securing his best qualifying result with the young team on Saturday, Ruben Xaus (ESP) scored his best race result with the propeller on his chest on Sunday. The Catalan rider finished the first race fifth, and was in third in the second race when he crashed in the first corner on lap 15. RubenÔÇÖs team mate, Troy Corser (AUS), did not start in Brno due to his heavy crash in FridayÔÇÖs Qualifying Practice session.

In the championship standings, Ruben has moved up to 13th with 64 points. Troy is 7th with 149 points. In the manufacturersÔÇÖ standings, BMW is sixth (163 points).

Ruben Xaus:
    Result Race 1: 5th, Gap to 1st: 00:08.602 min / Fastest Lap Race 1: 2:00.139 min
    Result Race 2: DNF

ÔÇ£Overall this weekend has been a really positive one for me. I have been running consistently at the front. In the first race I scored my best ever result on the BMW S 1000 RR so far. The second race was a different story: I crashed in turn one at quite high speed. The impact was heavy, and I am happy I am okay. It was clearly my fault. I was fighting for third for a long time, and I absolutely wanted to achieve my first podium with BMW. I was holding a consistent gap over Fabrizio for most of the race, but the lap before I crashed I saw he was gaining on me and I simply pushed too hard. The bike is working really well now, and I want to thank my entire crew.ÔÇØ

Troy Corser:
    Result Race 1: DNS
    Result Race 2: DNS

ÔÇ£Congratulations to Ruben and his crew for their best BMW result so far. I would have loved to race today, but it was obviously the right decision not to ride the bike this weekend. I am feeling worse, but I am feeling better at the same time. The bruise is aching, but it is only a question of time. I hope by the end of next week to be able to do some light training for the top half of my body. We plan to test at Mugello on Tuesday before Silverstone for a final check to make sure I am physically strong enough. I am looking forward to the next races.ÔÇØ

Berthold Hauser (BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director):
    ÔÇ£Overall we can rate this weekend as positive. Although Troy crashed on Friday and could not start today, Ruben proved he and the BMW S 1000 RR are competitive. He finished the first race fifth, which is his best result with Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport to date. In the second race he was on course for a podium finish when he unfortunately crashed while battling with Michel Fabrizio. But thatÔÇÖs racing. We are glad he is okay, and also Troy seems to be on the way to recovery. We are now looking forward to Silverstone.ÔÇØ

In the FIM Superstock 1000 Cup, Team BMW Motorrad Italia STK rider Ayrton Badovini (ITA) maintains his clean record: In an action-packed race, Ayrton lost ground after the start, but fought back to the top spot in the sixth lap and later won the race. Six wins in six races means a maximum possible of 150 points for Ayrton in the ridersÔÇÖ standings and for BMW in the manufacturersÔÇÖ standings. Team mate and fellow countryman, Daniele Beretta, finished fourth, scoring his second best result of the season.

WSS 1000

Another win for Badovini and BMW

Translation by Bing

BMW PressClub Italy

Superstock FIM Cup
    -6 ?? proof of 10.
    Brno (Czech Republic),
    9 ÔÇô 11 July 2010. 12.07.2010
    Press releases

Brno, 11 July 2010-After the difficulties of entry point during the experiment, the sixth win of the year by Ayrton Badovini conquered on the Czech circuit of Brno, takes on a particular flavour. In fact, the pilot of the BMW Motorrad Italy STK team in the race he met opposition from Lorenzo Zanetti (Ducati) has contended that the win until the last lap.

During the second round the Frenchman Maxime Berger falling had touched the rear of the BMW of Ayrton, causing the rupture of the muffler bracket, he touched the wheel, causing vibrations.

After leaving the same Zanetti lead during the first five laps, Badovini at sixth and checked the situation until the finish line. Now Ayrton leads the FIM Cup with 150 points, 77 in over Michele Magnoni, its most immediate pursuer.

"It was the race more difficult from the beginning of the season-said Ayrton-we had problems of grip and drops were on the agenda. My goal was to bring them home as possible without throwing away the race, whereas Berger, more direct, my opponent had proceeded to the scene. I due manage very tyre wear and use your head to make up their mind on Zanetti, who had nothing to lose in the League ".

Daniele Beretta has succeeded in race to straighten a difficult situation and with a quick comeback has conquered a fourth place that allows him to climb in tenth position of Cup rankings.

Serafino Foti, team manager of BMW Motorrad Italy STK team said "today was a difficult race especially for the contact in the first lap between Berger and Ayrton, and for high temperature asphalt (42 ??). Ayrton was really good at handling this situation: Besides having got the bike damaged, today was very easy to fall. Although we have many points ahead will continue to work to present ourselves at Silverstone with the objective to close the Championship in advance. Daniel was the author of a beautiful race, getting lots of positions and turning constantly one second strongest evidence ".

THE RANKING OF RACE:
    1. a. Badovini (BMW) 25 ' 02 "800-
    2. L. Zanetti (Ducati) 0286-
    3. A. Antonelli (Honda) 4060-
    4. D. Beretta (BMW) 6201-5.
    L. 7,926 Baroni (Ducati).

THE CHAMPIONSHIP CLASSIFICATION:
    Pilots:
    1.a. Badovini p.150-
    2. M. Magnoni p. 73-
    3. M. Berger p.66-
    4. A. Antonelli p. 57-
    5. D. Giugliano p.53. ...
    10. d. Beretta p.34

constructors:
    1. BMW p.150-
    2. Honda p. 109-
    3. Suzuki p. 69-
    4. Ducati p. 46-
    5. Yamaha p. 46

BMW S 1000 RR and customer teams enjoy worldwide success.
    ÔÇó 09.07.2010
    ÔÇó Press Release
    Success Model: the BMW S 1000 RR.

BMW S 1000 RR and customer teams enjoy worldwide success.

Munich/Stephanskirchen, 9th July 2010. With two podium finishes and the first pole position for the Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport in the 2010 FIM Superbike World Championship, the BMW S 1000 RR has proven its potential in impressive style. However, the bike has also established itself as a true success model in many other international and national championships.

Last weekend, Werner Daemen from Team alpha Technik-Van Zon BMW celebrated an double victory at the Salzburgring (AT) in the German Superbike Championship (IDM), repeating his 2009 success. The Belgian now occupies second place in the Riders' Championship with 159 points. His team-mate, Barry Veneman (NL), is currently in fourth (117 points). BMW Motorrad heads the manufacturers' championship with 281 points. The brand was represented by a total of eight riders at the Salzburgring.

ÔÇ£Werner Daemen's two victories were impressive ÔÇô and they are just two of countless triumphs already achieved by our customer teams with the BMW S 1000 RR,ÔÇØ says BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director, Berthold Hauser. ÔÇ£We are in contact with a lot of teams around the world, who send a total of 120 BMW S 1000 RR bikes into action. We offer them support regarding the use of the bikes. However, this knowledge and experience transfer does not just work in one direction. We also incorporate the know-how gained by our customers around the world into our development work in the Superbike World Championship and our production development. This exchange is extremely important for everyone involved. It goes without saying that we are all delighted with the way the BMW S 1000 RR has established itself at the top of international motorcycle racing within such a short time.ÔÇØ

The Superstock 1000 FIM Cup is held at World Championship races in Europe. BMW Motorrad currently boasts an impressive record this season: Ayrton Badovini (IT) from BMW Motorrad Italia STK has won all five races so far, thus leading the RidersÔÇÖ Championship with a maximum 125 points. It is a similar story in many other international series. BMW Motorrad riders head the championships in France (Erwan Nigon), Great Britain (Jon Kirkham) and Spain (Javier Fores Querol). Furthermore, BMW S 1000 RR bikes have also tasted success in Australia, Italy, Canada and the United States.

The support that private teams receive from BMW Motorrad Motorsport is multifaceted. From track-specific configuration of the electronic control unit, which in most cases is based on the unit used on the production bike, to the optimisation of the traction control to suit the tyre being used: the experts in Munich and Stephanskirchen are available at any time to offer customers advice and assistance.

BMW Group Canada reports motorcycle numbers in its sales press releases.

BMW Group Canada reports June sales results.
    ÔÇó 05.07.2010
    ÔÇó Press Release

Richmond Hill, ON . BMW Group Canada (BMW and MINI brands combined) reported retail sales of 3,507 units in June, a slight decrease of 1% from June 2009. On the year, BMW Group Canada reported sales of 15,052 units, representing a 12% increase over the same period last year.

BMW Brand reports new monthly record for June:
    BMW set an all-time monthly sales record in June with retails of 3,006 new BMWÔÇÖs, outperforming sales from June 2009 by 3 units. (0% change) Year-to-date BMW has reported sales of 12,964 units, an increase of 14% over the same period last year.

BMW Pre-owned achieves record retails in June.
    BMW pre-owned reported 1,283 retails in June, an increase of 37% compared to June, 2009. Year-to-date BMW pre-owned retails were up 15% over the same period last year. BMW Certified Series accounted for 916 of the BMW pre-owned sales in June.

MINI Brand:
    MINI reported 501 units sold in the month of June, a decrease of 5% from June 2009. Year-to-date, MINI has reported 2,088 retails, an increase of 5% over the same period last year.

MINI Pre-owned sets all-time monthly sales record.
    MINIÔÇÖs pre-owned set a new monthly sales record of 160 units, achieving an increase of 119%compared to June 2009. Of these 160 sales, 96 units were MINI NEXT pre-owned vehicles. Year-to-date MINI pre-owned sales increased 76% per cent over 2009.

BMW Motorrad.
    BMW Motorrad Canada reported 260 retails in June, an increase of 7%over the same period in 2009. BMW Motorrad year-to-date retails of 1,210 units represent an increase of 3% over last year.

This continues the sales momentum BMW CA has been showing for some time.

With strong sales performance in a still shaky transportation sector BMW Group is confident enough to raise it sales and earnings forecast for 2010. They apparently do not see the European market as a reason to be nervous.

BMW Group raises sales volume and earnings forecast for 2010
    ÔÇó 13.07.2010
    ÔÇó Press Release

Business performance better than expected
    BMW Group expects sales volumes in 2010 to rise by around 10% to over 1.4 million units

Full-year EBIT margin of over 5% expected for the Automobiles segment
    Financial Services segment aiming for earnings considerably above last yearÔÇô
    return on equity of over 18% achievable in 2010

Munich. Improved business conditions on the international automobile markets mean that the BMW Group now expects to report much better second-quarter and full-year earnings than previously forecast.

13.1% more cars were sold during the first half of the year compared to the same period last year.

For the full year, the company expects sales volumes to rise by around 10% to more than 1.4 million units. In addition to the recovery of the worldwide markets, strong demand for new models such as the BMW 5 Series and BMW X1 has had a positive impact on the business development.

In view of the improved situation on the car markets, the BMW Group now forecasts a full-year EBIT margin of over 5% for its Automobiles segment.

As a result of attractive market conditions and a less acute risk situation, the Financial Services segment is striving for a significant increase in pre-tax earnings with a target return on equity of over 18 %.

Based on this much improved outlook, the BMW Group expects the full-year profit before tax to rise more sharply than previously forecast.

A significant improvement in Group earnings had already been predicted for 2010. The Automobiles segment was forecast to achieve solid, single-digit sales volume growth and an EBIT margin within a low, single-digit percentage range. An improvement in Financial Services segment earnings had also been forecast.

Given that numerous economic risks remain in the second half of the year, the new outlook is based on the condition that the economic recovery continues and that general business conditions are not significantly dampened.
    For the year 2012, the BMW Group continues to target an EBIT margin of between 8% and 10% and a return on capital employed (ROCE) in excess of 26% for its Automobiles segment. The Financial Services segment is aiming to achieve a return on equity of at least 18%.

The Quarterly Report to 30 June 2010 will be published on 3 August 2010.

For questions please contact:

Corporate and Governmental Affairs

Mathias Schmidt, Finance Communications
    Telephone: (+ 49 89) 382-24118, Fax: (+ 49 89) 382-24418

Marc Hassinger, Business and Finance Communications
    Telephone: (+49 89) 382-23362, Fax: (+49 89) 382-24418

Internet: www.press.bmwgroup.com
    e-mail: presse@bmwgroup.com

The BMW Group
    With its three brands -- BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce ÔÇô the BMW Group is one of the worldÔÇÖs most successful premium manufacturers of cars and motorcycles. It operates internationally with 24 production sites in 13 countries and a global sales network with representation in more than 140 countries.

During the financial year 2009, the BMW Group sold approximately 1.29 million cars and more than 87,000 motorcycles worldwide. The profit before tax for 2009 was euro 413 million, revenues totalled euro 50.68 billion. At 31.December 2009, the BMW Group had a workforce of approximately 96,000 employees.

Long-term thinking and responsible action have long been the foundation of the BMW GroupÔÇÖs success. Striving for ecological and social sustainability along the entire value-added chain, taking full responsibility for our products and giving an unequivocal commitment to preserving resources are prime objectives firmly embedded in our corporate strategies. For these reasons, the BMW Group has been sector leader in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices for the last five years.

Thursday, 15 July 2010

BMW Husqvarna gets dirty and wins at a new event.

From BMW newsletter:

Simo Kirssi keeps going from strength to strength. The BMW Husqvarna Motorsport factory rider has claimed victory in the first-ever Battle-X. Following five consecutive wins in Cross Country races across Europe, 30-year-old Kirssi used the new Extreme Enduro competition to determine his abilities in such events and as a preparation for the Roof of Africa in November.

The two-day Battle-X was held at the amusement park Waffenrod (Thuringia) under conditions hotter than hell. The participants, among them some recognised German pro riders, not only had to deal with the brutal heat, but also with four gruelling qualifying heats. Kirssi kept a low profile during the first three of them.

The Scandinavian finished second in the "Torture Test", the "Sudden Death" and Sunday morning??s "Rising Sun", before making short work of his rivals in the "Final Destination", where Kirssi scored seven straight start-finish victories to take the event overall in dominating fashion.

The inaugural Battle-X was characterised by a combination of eight large and five smaller artificial obstacles. "Races like the Battle-X do certainly have a future. They??re good for the riders to display their talent and good for the fans who are close to the action. I believe the difficulty level could be somewhat higher, though," said the Finn, who??s regularly training with a trial motorcycle since two years.

Overall classification Battle-X 2010
    1. Simo Kirssi, BMW Husqvarna Motorsport
    2. Daniel H?ñhnel, KTM
    3. Ralf Scheidhauer, Husqvarna
    4. Thomas G??nther, Husaberg
    5. Matthias Weichselmann, Yamaha
    6. Phillip Storz, Yamaha
    7. Seppo Suttner, KTM
    8. Reini Rauch, KTM
    9. Thomas Arnold, KTM
    10. Andre Engelmann, KTM

On The Street

Cycle World is in the process of rolling out its 10 best of the year. So far no BMWÔÇÖs but Friday is when the Bavarian contender will find out if the RR takes on the world and wins. With the 2010 production run sold out the laurel will mean bragging rights but no bump in the show room.

BMW is racking up sales in Latin America to the tune of +89% overall! The Roundel has been making a big push by adding dealers and pushing sales in the market. The BMW Group Latin America becoming increasingly important for the BMW Group. It was established in 1998 in Panama to assume responsibility for 14 importer markets. As a result of the dynamic sales growth, the organization was restructured in 2009, with the Regional Office assuming responsibility for the subsidiaries in Brazil (founded in 1995) and Argentina (founded in 2000), and now 22 importer markets including the Caribbean markets.

While cages have been a primary focus Motorrads have not taken a back seat. (In part because the back seat of a BMW is not large enough to hold a motorcycle so they have to ride themnever mind) In December 2009, a motorcycle assembly was opened in Manaus, Brazil with a production volume of 1,200 G 650 GS by the end of 2010.On the Motorrad side this has resulted in increased production numbers.

In June 2010, BMW Motorrad sold 613 motorcycles in the Latin America region (prev. yr. 313 units, +96%). While the market remains challenging, a total of 2,769 BMW motorcycles were sold to customers in the first half of 2010. Brazil achieved the highest growth in the region, compared with previous yearÔÇÖs levels, delivering a total of 1,409 motorcycles in the first half of 2010 (746 units, +89%). Argentina and the importer markets also achieved 56% and 34% growth in the first half of the year, with 809 and 551 units delivered (prev. yr. 519 and 411 units respectively).

Sorry no pictures. I have been too lazy to deal with computer problems that are still causing my network problems. Rather play.

Sad news to report about US Highland Motorcycles; this past weekend several of the companies key executives were killed in a plane crash near the Tulsa airport. I have followed the company with great interest. It had several innovative approaches to building and selling motorcycles.

My sincere sympathy to the families of those that died and to the company.

Friday, 15 July

MotoGP

Rossi returns ÔÇô ÔÇ£I missed my bike!

On the Street

Cycle WorldÔÇÖs Ten Best Bikes is a motorcycle institution in my reading year. They are not the only one but I have followed this one for years.

Cycle World ÔÇô Best Superbike: BMW S1000RR
    ÔÇ£The Germans build an incredible superbike and do it without being weirdÔÇØ

Best Touring Bike: Honda Goldwing

BMWÔÇÖs sales buck the European trends tracked by ACEM which show their market registrations down by 7%. Forum posters have decried the lack of presence at various motorcycle shows by BMW and other manufacturers during the 2009/2010 show season. Things appear to be changing. BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha have committed to a presence at the INTERMOT show at Cologne in October. There should be plenty to see from all the manufactures. Hopefully this is a portent of things to come for the US show season.

Bike Cruller

Monday, 19 July

On the Track

BMW has been associated with MotoGP for some time as the sponsor of the award for the seasonÔÇÖs best qualifier (Lorenzo notched his fourth straight pole and is likely to need space for a new BMW M in his garage) and providing safety cars. This past weekend BMW stunt driver Chris Pfiffer put on a pre-race show at the Sachsenring event. Dani Pedrosa took the top spot of the day with over a three second lead after a hard faught race. Rossi put on a show battling to the final corner before settling for fourth, behind Stoner in third, on his return to racing a mere six weeks after braking his leg. His team mate Lorenzo took a second and padded his championship lead in the premiere class.

All the action can be viewed through MotoGPÔÇÖs new Gyroscopic OnBoard Camera which does its level best to avoid viewer motion sickness.

On the Street

Jeremy Clarkson loves to make fun of BMW and the complicated electronic interphases they put in their cars. Fortunately for BMW he loathes motorcycles and other two wheeled conveyances even more than BMW gadgets. This is where HFL steps in for the Columnist/ Top Gear presenter and in the first paragraph makes the Clarksonian observation,
    ÔÇØ Wait, isn't iDrive the most notoriously asinine user interface ever conceived? Uh oh.ÔÇØ

about BMWÔÇÖs addition of the iDrive to the 2011 K1600 GT/GTL.

Motus continues to tease us with its V4

Bike Cruller

I know the heresy of being nonplused with the new K bikes but I struggle to get excited about them. This may be a rice burner and I have written at length about the failure retro caf?® bikes have been for manufacturers, yet I wish someone would take a clean sheet of paper and come up with modern a gentleman sport rider corner carver that turns me on the this CR 450 Clubman Caf?® from Phil Little does.

By way of The Kneeslider

Tuesday, 20 July

On the Track

Spies unhappy with eighth.

Machine Green continues to make small news with plans for the 2011 season.

Hayden positive and now focused on Laguna Seca.

On the Street

DucatiÔÇÖs Multistrada 1200 upped the anti for more street oriented GS type riders. Now they are promoting the bike with a Travel Experience site.

While they are promoting they are loosing staff. Claudio Consonni leaveas Ducati for Bennelli.

Europeans are making agreements again. The ACEM announced an agreement with the EU Commission regarding advertising. The nut of the agreement is all the ACEM members (BMW is one of those) agree to ensure all promotions and advertisements show the vehicle used in a safe and responsible manner.

As the European Commission adopts the Road Safety Action Programme 2011-2020 putting focus on vulnerable road users, motorcycle manufacturers members of ACEM adopt more stringent rules in favour of safety-oriented communication

PRESS RELEASE

Brussels, 20.7.2010 ÔÇôACEM, the Motorcycle Industry in Europe, today announced the reinforcement of its advertising policy detailing the commitment of ACEM Members to improve the road safety of motorcycle, scooter and moped riders. This set of guidelines outlines a common approach to socially responsible communication, which will be applied across the 27 Member States of the European Union where ACEM members operate.
    ACEM broadly welcomes the European CommissionÔÇÖs Road Safety Action Programme 2011-2020 and the inclusion of motorcyclists amongst its strategic priorities. ACEM reiterates its commitment toward road safety, which stems from ACEMÔÇÖs Road Safety Plan for Action built on the concept of shared responsibility and the integrated approach. As the European Commission acknowledges it, in-depth analysis shows that human factors play the most important role in traffic accidents.
    The advertising policy adopted by the European Motorcycle Industry ensures that all promotion and advertisements for motorcycles, scooters and mopeds destined for use on public roads show the vehicle used in a safe and responsible manner, in order to positively influence the attitude of the rider, which is central in motorcycle safety.
    Aggressive riding styles, and any depiction of unsafe behaviour on public roads will be banned from ACEM manufacturersÔÇÖ PR campaigns. Next to encouraging safe and responsible behaviour these measures also aim at promoting safety enhancing features such as advanced braking systems.
    In order to achieve efficient and consistent results across the market manufacturers will deploy training programmes for the effective uptake of this advertising policy throughout their dealer networks.
    Stefan Pierer, ACEM President and CEO of Austrian manufacturer KTM Sport Motorcycles, stated: "Motorcycle Manufacturers can play a significant role in improving road safety through communication and marketing. The Motorcycle Industry has therefore agreed to strengthen its commitment toward road safety by following a common advertising policy, which sets clear rules to influence attitudes, change behaviours and thus contribute to make a difference in improving road safety on European roads.ÔÇØ
    ACEM members first signed a similar commitment in 2006 under the European Road Safety Charter, a European endeavour to reduce road casualties by 50% by 2010. Following an integrated approach, other ACEM commitments to the European Road Safety Charter include the voluntary progressive installation of advanced braking systems on motorcycles and campaigns related to road infrastructure safety.

This is a laudable goal yet I am left to wonder how BMW will interpret:

ÔÇ£all promotion and advertisements for motorcycles, scooters and mopeds destined for use on public roads show the vehicle used in a safe and responsible manner, in order to positively influence the attitude of the rider, which is central in motorcycle safety.ÔÇØ

In some recent Leni Riefenstahlishadvertisements riders were pictured with there faces virtually beaming as they enjoyed their BMW ____ model in full riding gear but sans helmet. The models had perfect teeth and hinted at an affluent Teutonic beauty we, as BMW riders, should strive for or will be bestowed upon the new owners once they take delivery. I took them as attempts to humanize the riding experience they were roundly chastised on the forum for being Riefenstahlish and more importantly promoting riding without the complete and sacred ATGATT. Thanks to the EUC and ACEM we wonÔÇÖt see that kind of trash coming from BMW anymore. We will be able to project what ever visage and sex we desire on the rider hidden behind the mandatory helmet and full ATGATT.

Will we have other ads?

Will BMW send world renowned photographers out to photograph svelte models in diaphanous gowns draped over new models?

How do the promotional videos by BMW and Chris Pfiffer going to fit into these guidelines? Will the fact that he wore full ATGATT when he rode his street bound F800 to, up and on top of the BMW tower allow videos of that ilk to survive? Then there are the pictures at the promo site for BMW Two Wheel Days at BMW Welt. At least he is wearing a helmet, but dang it even that wonÔÇÖt pass full forum muster because its not full face.

The RR ads and videos have been great but will they pass the muster of this agreement? The SBK season intro video with Ruben Xaus had a simple meaning. Buy the bike and you can be like me. Okay maybe they should have used BMW ItaliaÔÇÖs Badovini because he hasnÔÇÖt high sided himself and broke a bunch of bones but you get my point.

BMWÔÇÖs biggest video hit (Most views of any BMW web video not just Motorrad) might not have seen the light of the small screen. Clearly removing the table cloth from a banquet table with a S1000RR is not part of the safe and responsible manner of operating a PTW. Bummer.

There go all the fun videos and ads shot with the disclaimer ÔÇÿshot on a controlled road and with professional driversÔÇÖ and all the grumbling on the forum about BMW ads. Well the grumbling will stop after I post this.

Right!

Bike Cruller

Found these 1955 BMW R25 before and after pictures at [url= http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/index.htm]VintageBike.co.uk[/img]

Wednesday, 21 July

On the Track

More Team Green news, this time not so positive for them. Chris Vermeulen has confirmed he will be undergoing knee surgery and will be out for the remainder of the season. His seat will be taken by Akira Yanagawa beginning with the upcoming Silverstone WSBK round.

German Cross Country
    BMW Motorrad Motorsport put out a press release about Simo Kirssi and his recent win in the German Cross Country series for BMW Husqvarna.

Simo Kirssi showed once again he??s the man to beat in the German Cross Country Championship. The BMW factory rider completely owned series round five held at the beautiful Goldbach circuit. In front of 5,000 spectators Kirssi posted yet another impressive start-finish victory aboard his BMW 450 X, as his fiercest competition came from fellow countryman Samuli Aro through the early stages of the two-hour moto. Conditions couldn??t have been better on race day. Temperatures around 26?? C and some recently added technical sections guaranteed a fabulous race.

The Finn now leads the championship by 32 points over his closest rival Stefan Svitko. The penultimate round at M??hlhausen could see Kirssi claim the 2010 title prematurely. All he and his Team BMW Husqvarna Motorsport need is a top five finish to make it happen.

Simo Kirssi: ÔÇ×Goldbach proved to be a superbly organised event once again. I like the atmosphere and the enthusiastic fans. It??s pure fun to come here racing. My day was just perfect, so was the bike. The team had everything well prepared and I managed to control the field. What else can you wish for?ÔÇ£

German Cross Country Championship, Rd. 5, Goldbach
    1. Simo Kirssi (FIN), BMW Husqvarna Motorsport, 24 laps
    2. Samuli Aro (FIN), KTM, 24
    3. Hans Vogels (NED), Husaberg, 24
    4. Mickael Musquin (FRA), BMW, 24
    5. Christian Wei?ƒ (GER), TM, 24
    6. Steffen Albrecht (GER), Yamaha, 24
    7. Maurizio Micheluz (ITA), TM, 24
    8. Marco Straubel (GER), KTM, 24
    9. Stefan Svitko (SK), KTM, 23
    10. Jens Getteman (BEL), KTM, 23

German Cross Country Championship, Point standings (after five rounds)
    1. Simo Kirssi, 140
    2. Stefan Svitko, 108
    3. Samuli Aro, 107
    4. Marco Straubel, 94
    5. Steffen Albrecht, 93

On the Street

H-D released its Second Quarter 2010 Results and they show improvement on the money side while reveling mixed signals in the showroom.

On the financial side the numbers suggest some of the draconian measures may be paying off for the Milwaukee firm.
    Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE: HOG) reported second-quarter 2010 income from continuing operations of $139.3 million, or $0.59 per share, compared to income of $33.4 million and earnings per share of $0.14 from continuing operations in the year-ago quarter. Second-quarter 2010 results include operating income from Financial Services of $60.8 million. Revenue from Motorcycles and Related Products was $1.14 billion in the second quarter.

In the showroom H-D is still looking for bottom.
    Through six months, worldwide retail sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 10.7 percent compared to the prior-year period. U.S. retail sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 15.3 percent for the first half of the year while the U.S. heavyweight market segment was down 14.7 percent for the same period, compared to the year-ago period. In international markets, retail sales of new Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 1.1 percent for the first six months of 2010 compared to 2009.

TheKneeslider.com picked up on one line from the report in particular.

ÔÇ£In fact, Harley-Davidson is the U.S. market share leader of on-road motorcycles among young adults.ÔÇØ

They wonder what H-D means by ÔÇÿyoung adults.ÔÇÖ So far H-D has not responded to their query.

We wonder about young adults around here. Many of us have rambled on about the need to attract this group. While I took my posting break I found myself reading more posts than I normally do and I have begun to wonder about the importance of chronological age. Frankly some of the ÔÇÿoldest soundingÔÇÖ posters I read (conservative donÔÇÖt change a thing) were chronologically very young. In a group like ours perhaps age ends up taking care of itself and it is the openness of the body politic of the group to different riders is the key issue.

motorcyclenews.com: BMW S100RR at Brands Hatch MRO Stocksport

While you are waiting for a phone app version on Anonymous you may want to download BMW NAÔÇÖs Roadside iPhone Application, if you have an iPhone. Luddites like myself will have to continue to carry tools and spare change.

BMW Motorrad USA Introduces Roadside iPhone Application
    ÔÇó 21.07.2010
    ÔÇó Press Release

Innovative app provides customized experience for BMW Motorcycle Riders.
    Woodcliff Lake, NJ  July 20, 2010 BMW Motorrad USA today introduced a personalized iPhone application for its BMW Motorrad USA Roadside Assistance service in the United States. BMW Motorrad USA Roadside Assistance comes standard for three years with every new BMW Motorcycle purchase. The free iPhone application, developed in partnership with Allstate Roadside Services, may be customized by BMW Motorcycle Riders and includes advanced functionality to enhance the overall BMW Motorrad ownership experience.
    Key features of the new application include:
    * Compatibility with any registered BMW Motorrad model in the United States (models from 1981 onward).
    * Expedited handling of BMW Motorrad USA Roadside Assistance requests.
    * Automatic sharing of GPS location and motorcycle details (color, model, etc.) between the BMW Motorrad USA Roadside Assistance call center and the Motorcycle rider.
    * Direct telephone access to BMW contact information, including authorized BMW Motorrad Dealers, BMW Motorrad Customer Relations, and of course BMW Motorrad USA Roadside Assistance.
    ÔÇ£BMW Motorcycle riders appreciate the best technology on their bikes. This App compliments the innovation that is put into every BMW Motorcycle produced.ÔÇØ said Jorge Soriano, BMW Motorcycle Aftersales Manager.
    After downloading the application, BMW Motorrad owners will access a number of custom settings so that their BMW Motorcycle(s) are properly managed in the application. Currently, up to four BMW Motorcycles may be imported to a single installation of the application. Each bike may be nicknamed, a unique photo may be associated to each bike, and the Vehicle Identification Number and color of each are also stored by the application.
    The new application is available on iTunes.

BMW Canada touted its support for a MOTORESS and Edelweiss Tours ride for fourteen female riders beginning in Munich and taking the riders through some of the spectacular roads in Bavaria and Austria.

BMW news caught my eye with this PressClub release. The focus of the piece is the classic BMW 3.0 CSi of 1972. This is one of the cars that first attracted me to the brand. The link at the end of the press release will take you to the Classic Center web site. Cages dominate but this is a growing presence for BMW motorcycles. It is a fun place to explore if you arenÔÇÖt familiar with it already.

BMW 3.0 CSi premieres at the BMW Welt. The first full restoration of the new BMW Classic Center is handed back to its delighted owner.
    ÔÇó 20.07.2010
    ÔÇó Press Release
    Munich. Wednesday, 7 July 2010 was a red-letter day. The 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi which had been completely restored by the BMW Classic CenterÔÇÖs new Customer Workshop was handed back to its owner at BMW Welt. There was twofold cause for celebration: the BMW Classic Center was pleased at having successfully completed its first full restoration since the opening of the BMW Classic Customer Workshop, while BMW Welt marked the first occasion on which a classic BMW ÔÇô rather than a brand-new car ÔÇô was delivered to a customer. ÔÇ£The successful restoration of the BMW 3.0 CSi shows that we are on the right track and that, together with our partners within the BMW Group network of facilities, we are capable of restoring vehicles to the highest quality standards and to individual customer specifications,ÔÇØ said Ralf Vierlein, Head of Sales and Aftersales at BMW Group Classic.

In this case, the customer wanted his BMW 3.0 CSi of 1972 transformed into a perfect state. He also asked for its four-speed manual gearbox to be converted into an automatic, something that had previously been done only with two prototypes of the BMW 3.0 CSi. Based on close collaboration with the BMW Group Archive, which provided the relevant documentation, the ÔÇ£large Coup?®ÔÇØ underwent an authentic conversion process. It was fitted with an automatic transmission from a BMW 2.8 CS. The refit and complete overhaul of the vehicle required months of research and countless hours of manual labour. The experts at the BMW Classic Center not only had to repair substantial bodywork damage, but also iron out technical and electronic defects as well as thoroughly overhaul the interior fittings. The vehicle is now in A1 condition.

BMW Classic Customer Workshop: one-stop shop for all services.
    BMW ClassicÔÇÖs Customer Workshop is a response to the growing desire among numerous BMW enthusiasts to own an authentic vehicle that is as true as possible to its original state and in the best possible condition. ÔÇ£This workshop is a key element in the realignment of BMW Classic and our orientation towards customers in the classic vehicle market,ÔÇØ says Karl Baumer, Director of BMW Group Classic.
    In parallel with this, the supply and remanufacturing of components is being further expanded. Other areas have also been added, such as the purchase and sale of vehicles, authentication certificates, advice to buyers, and a worldwide collection and delivery service. The principal advantage of the BMW Classic Center is that it offers all its services under one roof. ÔÇ£We have the theoretical knowledge of the vehicles, the technical expertise, Original BMW Parts, and the requisite infrastructure to systematically link it all up,ÔÇØ adds Ralf Vierlein.
    In future, too, vehicles that have been fully restored by the BMW Classic Center can be handed over to their owners amid the unmatched ambience of BMW Welt. A ÔÇ£deliveryÔÇØ of this kind is not just a unique experience for the owner, but a particularly striking example of the successful symbiosis of past and present within the BMW Group.

Further information on the Classic Center is available at www.bmw-classic.com

Bike Cruller

Some old farts can still hustle their way around a road course.

Video: Following Freddie Spencer / MCN

Thursday, 22 July

On the Track
    Badovini could wrap up the WSS 1000 Title at the upcoming Silverstone round. A victory would give him a clean sweep of the top spot on the podium on the way to the title. Very impresive in deed. It leaves me wondering where he will be standing next season or in a couple more.
    We have heard all sorts of rumors that Ruben Xaus will get the boot at BMW Motorsport at some point during this season or at the end. Could Badovini be in line for his spot?

The leap to WSBK from the WSS ranks may work. This would turn the BWM Italia effort into a farm club setting. In some ways it makes sense but I wonder if it would be that simple. The main problem I see is the bike itself. The S1000RR is a leathal weapon.

In the WSS 1000 class it kills its oponents on the track. The current WSS 1000 rules obviously work for the S1000RR. In this class it has not suffered the handling and tire problems of the SBK bike.

In the SBK form the S1000RR is a leathal weapon too. Unfortunately it is not a predictable one to this point. The team has sighted the bike in and is gunning down the competition with more ease. Yet the bike still has a hair triger that backfires leaving the pilots on the back sides (or worse) and on the the tarmac.
    In the last race Badovini held a 3+ second margin of victory at the end. In all of the races to date he has been able to dominate and show he is above the current competition on a S1000RR. Could he do the same on the SBK iteration of the RR?

Just wondering.

Laguna Seca preview from MotoGP

On the Street

Moto Guzzi caused a real ruckas in Milan last winter with their concept bikes. HLM has done three articles about the the future of the Piaggio owned Italian brand and two of the concepts; the V12 Le Mans and the V12 - X concept bikes.

A new Concept Cage from BMW:

Experience elegance and dynamic performance: The BMW Design Night.
    Press Release

Munich. Exclusive insights into the design philosophy and development strategy of BMW are the central focus of an unusual media event at the home of the brand in Munich. At the BMW Design Night on July 21st 2010, selected media representatives will have the opportunity to take an intensive look at the fundamental principles and pioneering concepts of future automobile design. The speakers and dialogue partners presenting the event at BMW Welt in Munich are Dr. Klaus Draeger, Member of the Board of BMW AG, Development and Adrian van Hooydonk, Director BMW Group Design.

The current representative of the design culture of the brand is the BMW Concept Gran Coup?®. This sensational study, unveiled at the international trade fair Auto China in Beijing in April 2010 and is now on show in Europe for the first time, embodies high-quality elegance combined with superior dynamic performance, thereby symbolising the underlying values of the brand BMW.

The BMW Concept Gran Coup?® provides a look ahead to the interpretation of these values in future models of the manufacturer of premium automobiles. In its dynamically striking proportions, this elegant 4-door vehicle reveals the classic features of a BMW coup?®, yet at the same time offers a fascinating and aesthetically impressive formal style which brings the properties of the product to bear in an authentic manner.

The basis for this is the outstanding design culture of the brand BMW, whose roots and perspectives will be explained at the BMW Design Night. Current and future automobiles of the brand BMW derive their unmistakable character from the fact that design, driving properties and functionality are harmoniously dovetailed. This authenticity is guaranteed by means of a product creation process which is unique in the automotive industry and which results in a convergence of design and technology in optimised logistical and organisational conditions. With every newly developed automobile, this process leads to an ideal synthesis of form and function which is impressively reflected in the BMW Concept Gran Coup?®, too.

Bike Cruller

Still poking around the VintageBike.co.uk site. I have not been there in a while. In the process I found this picture from 1934. No more information was included.

Monday, 26 July

Monday, 26 July

On the Track

The WSBK Circus goes to Silverstone this year instead of Donnington. If you followed the F1 thread last year you know Donnington was sucked up into the F1 fantasy and lost WSBK and never landed F1.

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - WSBK - Silverstone - Preview
    Press Release
    30th July ÔÇô 1st August 2010
    10th of 13 World Championship race weekends

Munich/Stephanskirchen, 26th July 2010. When the first session of free practice begins on Friday at 12.45 hrs local time in the next round of the FIM Superbike World Championship at Silverstone, all the riders and teams will be entering largely unfamiliar terrain. Although it is only three years since the World Championship last stopped by at the legendary race track in the English county of Northamptonshire, the circuit has undergone extensive modifications over recent months.

Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport is travelling to Great Britain in upbeat mood. Troy Corser (AUS) missed out on the races in Brno after crashing heavily in Friday qualifying, and is eager to get back into race action. Ruben Xaus (ESP), meanwhile, celebrated his best result yet for BMW Motorrad Motorsport in the Czech Republic. Ruben goes into the Silverstone race weekend in 13th place in the ridersÔÇÖ standings on 64 points; Troy is 7th with 149 points. In the manufacturersÔÇÖ table BMW is lying sixth on 163 points.

Troy Corser:
    ÔÇ£After my crash in Brno IÔÇÖve been working a lot on my fitness. IÔÇÖve got a test scheduled at Mugello on Tuesday to make totally sure that IÔÇÖm back to 100 per cent fitness. Now IÔÇÖm looking forward to Silverstone; I spend a fair amount of the year in Great Britain and expect to see a lot of family friends at the track, so it will be something of a second home race for me.
    IÔÇÖve already had a chance to take a look around the new track. The new layout looks very good and surface grip seems pretty consistent. There are a few bumps, especially where the new asphalt has been laid. IÔÇÖm expecting us to do a good job here with our bike; weÔÇÖve done a lot of work on chassis set-up and the bumps shouldnÔÇÖt be a particularly big problem. Engine power is a major factor at Silverstone, as the circuit has several long straights. There are also a handful of long, sweeping corners, which load up the tyres on one side, so itÔÇÖs important to have a good throttle connection.ÔÇØ

Ruben Xaus:
    ÔÇ£Brno was a very positive weekend for me. Although I unfortunately crashed in the second race, the team can be proud of our performance. We showed that weÔÇÖre competitive and that we can keep pace with the top guys in every session. I hope that we can keep our form going at Silverstone. I have good memories of the track, as IÔÇÖve finished on the podium there on several occasions in the past. IÔÇÖve only seen the new layout on TV, but it looks interesting. There are some stop-and-go corners and it seems like quite a physically demanding track. Some areas of the new section appear to be quite bumpy; weÔÇÖll take this into account in our set-up work and make the necessary adjustments to the bike.ÔÇØ

Berthold Hauser, BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director:
    ÔÇ£WeÔÇÖre looking forward to Silverstone. It is a place where motor sport history has been made ÔÇô Silverstone is known as the Home of British Motor Racing for good reason. The British race weekend was hosted by Donington in our debut season, so Silverstone will be new territory for our young team. Indeed, even experienced riders like Troy and Ruben, who have finished on the podium at Silverstone in the past, will face a new challenge this year. The track has been extensively modified over the past few months, and the riders will have to negotiate a whole new section of the track.ÔÇØ

Background:
    The Silverstone race track is located outside the village of Silverstone in Northamptonshire, England. The circuit is most famous as the venue for the Formula One British Grand Prix, which it has hosted over 40 times. Indeed, the first ever race in the Formula One World Championship was held at Silverstone in 1950. The circuit is owned by the British Racing DriversÔÇÿ Club (BRDC) and was developed on the site of a Royal Air Force base built in 1943. The airfield featured three runways arranged in a triangle.

The British round is one of the classic events on the FIM Superbike World Championship calendar, and the teams and riders will be back at Silverstone in 2010 after lining up at Donington for the last two years. The historic Northamptonshire circuit has undergone something of a makeover for its return to the programme. A stadium-type section measuring just under 800 metres has been incorporated into the circuit between the Abbey and Brooklands corners. Famous corners such as Maggotts, Becketts, Copse and Stowe have remained unchanged.

A major overhaul of the track layout took place over the winter months. Work was carried out at Brooklands and Woodcote, notably on the new run-off area at the entry to the high-speed pit straight. Plus, the track now turns off to the right at Abbey and through the fast Farm Curve left-hander into a ÔÇ£stadiumÔÇØ section. After a sharp right-left combination (Village Corner/The Loop), the Aintree Corner leads onto the Wellington Straight, which in turn feeds out into Brooklands. The changes have added 760 metres to the length of the circuit, which now measures 5.902 kilometres.

On the Street

KTM is bringing out a line of entry level street bikes. Indian builder Bajaj holds a thirty percent stake in the Austrian company and is looking to take it to new markets.

thekneeslider.com: H-D is considering building bikes in India for the Indian market. This story is no big surprise nor is it going to directly cut into the production in the US. It is a reality for companies that want to sell bikes over 500cc in that market.

India is an enticing market for companies looking to expand their world wide sales. The Kneeslider and the Milwaukee Sentinal ask some interesting questions about H-D's prospects in the market. The question for me is there really a big markete for big bikes in India?

India in many analysis that I have read appears to be very similar to Europe in the 50s. Europe saw a boom in motorcycles and three wheeled vehicles post war as people looked for motorized trasnsport with limited economic resources. The problem for the two wheeled industry was as public transport and wallet conditions improved people did not need or want motorcycles. Public transport has a long way to go in India and is something of a non-issue for a would be H-D buyer. The economic conerns have played out much as they did in Europe.

While the Indian economy was booming the nation saw a stabilisation in two wheel demand and even a decline in some sectors while the cage side of the transport industry saw a boom. With the coming of the world economic crisis the Indian motorcycle industry saw sales return as people could not aford that cage they thought the family wanted.

How will this impact H-D? Given the shire numbers of people in the market there may be enough buyers to make this pay for itself in the long run. There will be something of an up hill fight however, as H-D builds a dealer network and interest at the same time they build a plant.

Bike Cruller