Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Speed harley davidson v-rod rod

criminaldesign
    that is a good looking bike. i dig the xr12 also.

the forward controls on the standard v-rods are ridiculously very forward. its a total stretch for legs and arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    In the various threads about the closing of Buell several people commented on why not build a bike based on the V-Rod engine. Eric Buell has long been reported as discounting that idea because of the engines size and weight. ........
    Actually the Porsche designed engine was originally going to Buell, at the last minute HD chose to keep it themselves. The ergonomic disaster V-Rod was the result. One can only guess what type of motorcycle Eric was working on to utilize that engine.
    Now that HD has Eric Buell for themselves I hope they direct him to come up with a new motorcycle utilizing the V-Rod drivetrain. Maybe something along the line of the one here posted by Mika?

The rest of the story if I am reading between the lines correctly.

The V-Rod engine was not the only engine H-D and Porsche collaborated on. There was a V-4 developed as part of that collaboration also. The V-4 would have powered future H-D leaving the V-Rod for BuellÔÇÖs use. The reaction to the V-4 was very negative. The V-Rod grew in size both as the engine and its intended use changed.

Here is a piece from the Spanish site SoloMoto30 on the H-D V-4

solomoto30.com: The secret history of the Harley Davidson Porsche design, V4 engine and 100 horse power, that never made it to production, but that could revolutionize history
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Scootertrash
    I have a 2006 VRSCD "Night Rod". It runs smooth and fast.

Issues:

1) Compression of the front forks are too soft for me. I'll be upgrading the front forks with Progressive springs and heavy duty fork oil this winter.

2) The thimble-sized 3.7 gallon gas tank was cramping my style but after a few road trips, my cramping muscles likes to get off the saddle after an hour and a half.

3) No ABS but it does have Brembo brakes. Which means I have to be more careful in braking situations during crappy weather.

Having an R1200C and a V-Rod is like having two different girlfriends. Each with their own paticular talents and they're not jealous of each other...

Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    I have a 2006 VRSCD "Night Rod". It runs smooth and fast.

Having an R1200C and a V-Rod is like having two different girlfriends. Each with their own paticular talents and they're not jealous of each other...
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?