Thread: fall riding at it's best

fall riding at it's best

So far this week, Minnesota has been ideal for riding. I get a perverse thrill knowing Denver is snow bound this morning, yet here in the North, it's riding time! HA!

Yesterday was near perfect here in Milwaukee but couldn't ride yesterday. (other obligations) I do plan on a decent ride today though. Sure can't complain about the 50's in late October in Wisconsin.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

Not up for very long rides in these temps, but rode it to work today, anyways.
    Had to go up to Mischlers (BMW, in Beaver Dam, A #1 dealer) last week Monday, and again wouldn't have been a bad day for a ride to work, but I was pretty darned cold by the time I got there. I can stand very cold temps for a short while, like 1/2 hr or so, but even the mid 40's are bad for 90 minutes. 'Course I am pretty low-tech when it comes to riding gear. The windshield on the GT, as well as the grip and seat heaters do help a lot. The sun came out while I was there, felt good sitting in the sun in the waiting room. Was a guy there with a Boxer Cup bike, wonder if he is on this site? Left a short while before I did.

Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Not up for very long rides in these temps, but rode it to work today, anyways.
    Had to go up to Mischlers (BMW, in Beaver Dam, A #1 dealer) last week Monday, and again wouldn't have been a bad day for a ride to work, but I was pretty darned cold by the time I got there. I can stand very cold temps for a short while, like 1/2 hr or so, but even the mid 40's are bad for 90 minutes. 'Course I am pretty low-tech when it comes to riding gear. The windshield on the GT, as well as the grip and seat heaters do help a lot. The sun came out while I was there, felt good sitting in the sun in the waiting room. Was a guy there with a Boxer Cup bike, wonder if he is on this site? Left a short while before I did.

Gilly
    Without the first gear heated liner and my heated grips, I most likely would not be riding; we would be home snuggling in mamas arms...

The ride home in about 44 degrees in an hour will be chillin, but with the vest, bring it on!

Last season I did a 22 degree ride to work (coldest temp noted on GT thermometer), takes typically less than 1/2 hr to get there. I just do layering, as though I am shovelling snow on a 10 degree day, and works pretty good for that length of time. Legs are usually pretty numb for awhile. 32 to 40 degrees no problem, again for that length of time.
    I usually store it away by Thanksgiving, I have riden later than that though, but I am definitely not a "rounder".
    Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Got a 50 mile run in yesterday after work and it was wonderful. No electrics needed yet...

'02 R1150RT

Rode 230 miles today because the weather radar said no rain until tonight. Liars!!
    But it was a good ride up to Waupon, then north on CTY "M" to Winneconne, over to Neeneah and back again to Milw. Should have a few more good weeks before parking it for the winter.

DSCN0981.jpg
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT

Missed the rain!

You need to learn how to dodge the rain. I rode about 225 moles today over to Waunakee, up to Mischlers and back home. By the time I pulled into the garage and took my helmet off, it was raining. Here are a couple of my stops.

Doug
    '04 R1150GSA, '96 K1100RS SE, '94 K1100LT, '84 Honda VF700 Interceptor

Quote Originally Posted by 147696 View Post
    You need to learn how to dodge the rain. I rode about 225 moles today over to Waunakee, up to Mischlers and back home. By the time I pulled into the garage and took my helmet off, it was raining. Here are a couple of my stops.

Yup. looks like Waunakee to me! Almost stopped at Mischlers, but rode on northward. Sorry we didn't connect.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT