Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thank you BMW!!

Caribbean Druid
    All the motorcycle manufacturers are pulling in the reins. Suzuki just dumped its entire press relations department. Honda has mothballed its entire roadracing department, partially due to DMG and partially due to the economy. Yamaha just pulled its factory roadracing team and fired a lot of the factory race people. They are all taking steps to survive right now...

masione
    Yes, I suppose I should remember the monor percentage of business the Motorrad division represents for corporate BMW as a whole.
    Mika- Thanks for your suggestion regarding the MOA Consumer liason. I will give that a try.
    As for my attempts to enlighten my Harley riding co-workers I have found that the strongest statement I can make is the presence of my lone motorcycle in the designated motorcycle parking area here at work. During the summer I have to fight for a spot among a sea of black V-twins. The minute the temperature drops below 50 degrees I find I have the lot all to myself. Strange-

Quote Originally Posted by masione View Post
    As for my attempts to enlighten my Harley riding co-workers I have found that the strongest statement I can make is the presence of my lone motorcycle in the designated motorcycle parking area here at work. During the summer I have to fight for a spot among a sea of black V-twins. The minute the temperature drops below 50 degrees I find I have the lot all to myself. Strange-
    They don't get that either.

Harley and BMW are at opposite ends of the design philosophy spectrum. It's rare to find someone who appreciates both points of view although there are a few here. I'm too much of a 'worst case design' and 'form follows function' guy to have much appreciation for the things HD does.

I do look at the bike builder 'art' though and actually find some of the things they come up with pretty cool. You have give credit to the first guy that put an aircraft radial in a bike frame, and the guy that tried to make a bike out of glass.

As far as arguing goes, I don't engage unless it's fun. You can not win, it's similar to arguing with the perpetual motion crowd. Best just smile and walk away.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

No new models 'cept the S1000RR

There're no new models to promote outside of the S1000RR. So in terms of bang for the buck in these trying times I could see them pulling out.

The S1000RR has covered the demographic (to some degree) at some race events (e.g. Indy) and regional track days. Plus the East & West coast shows are in high density areas.

Since I'm not in the market for something new, I'm not planning to attend any shows. In the past I sometimes attended NYC's to get a MC 'winter fix' and meet up some riding buddies but became increasingly bored with the event.

ROI for trade shows is always a tough one. PR being an intangible and 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'. I trust they have better research than the likes of laymen like me in % of attendance actually resulting in sales and/or brand awareness. (though some BMWNA decisions in the past have been counter intuitive or worse ... )

macfly

So are we no going to get the Lo Rider concept?

I love the way that bike looks, and right now it is the only machine on the horizon that would get any dollars out of my wallet. I have no interest in BMW's superb new sport bike, I simply don't want to go that fast anymore, and besides, I'm a dyed in the wood big flat twin guy.

Be glad you do not own a Buell...............
    Last edited by motorman587; 10-31-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black
    Contact me 4 (1&1) training, Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I love the way that bike looks, and right now it is the only machine on the horizon that would get any dollars out of my wallet. I have no interest in BMW's superb new sport bike, I simply don't want to go that fast anymore, and besides, I'm a dyed in the wood big flat twin guy.
    There are no rumors, credible or otherwise that I have scene, about the Lo Rider. Keep in mind there are two parts to the Lo Rider concept; the bike parts and the production process. The bike concept was not a single bike model. The production model has the customer custom ordering their bike from the various options available. I like the bike too and it seems to have been fairly well received. The big issue for BMW and dealers is making the purchase/production process work. I can see it happening just not this year.

BMW will be at MilanÔÇÖs EIMCA show and officially unveil the 2010 lineup. The S1000RR, a revised GS with a version of the HP2 engine and an updated G450X are expected. There is the possibility of an official intro of a C1e scooter that has been shown as a concept. If it were introduced as a production model it would no doubt be Euro only at this time.

Keep in mind all this insight and a $1.00 will get you a small coffee and change at the official fly-over-land filling station.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Quote Originally Posted by masione View Post
    Snipped... I guess I should just keep in mind that this is a company which steadfastly refuses to issue me two keys to a motorcycle I paid over $15,000.00 for new in 2006. This is getting tiresome-
    Wow! I thought I got only one key because I bought the cheapest bike they sell.