Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: battery tender recommendations?

Question battery tender recommendations?

I ride a 2000 R1100 RT with just under 30K miles, the last 1400 mine since I bought it. With dropping temperatures upon us in Northern Virginia, I am seeking thoughts on battery tenders.
    Yes or no - experiences?
    If yes, which one and why? Experiences?
    I have a gel battery of unknown age (on the bike when I purchased it).
    Yes, the RT is my best inanimate friend...I'm not certain she's inanimate.
    Many thanks to you all.

jingdog
    My battery tender says no AGM batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by LCBIKEMAN View Post
    I ride a 2000 R1100 RT with just under 30K miles, the last 1400 mine since I bought it. With dropping temperatures upon us in Northern Virginia, I am seeking thoughts on battery tenders.
    Yes or no - experiences?
    If yes, which one and why? Experiences?
    I have a gel battery of unknown age (on the bike when I purchased it).
    Yes, the RT is my best inanimate friend...I'm not certain she's inanimate.
    Many thanks to you all.
    I bought my charger at the BMW shop. good for Gel or acid Batteries. I don't remember what I paid, but remember it being a bit pricey. It says BMW on it and does a great job.

Whenever I buy a used bike with unknown age on the battery I just buy a new battery and if I need to a charger matched for that type of battery. That eliminates any surprises.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Battery Tender Plus! It works on all bikes beautifully.
    Last edited by AZ-J; 10-25-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: omitted a letter
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

thanks

I have found the correct tender to use with my battery...thanks for your comments... anyone use a "Battery - Tender" brand versus the BMW version? The costs vary from ca. $46 for the Battery Tender versus about 70 for the BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by LCBIKEMAN View Post
    I have found the correct tender to use with my battery...thanks for your comments... anyone use a "Battery - Tender" brand versus the BMW version? The costs vary from ca. $46 for the Battery Tender versus about 70 for the BMW.
    I think they both would do a fine job. just be sure that the one you get will turn its self off, when the battery is charged. that way all of you that live in the Great White North can leave it pluged up all winter.

I currently used the "Battery Tender" brand from, I believe, Deltran. I have the two bank version since I have a dual battery R1150RTP. It has worked flawlessly and supports the AGM battery, as well as, the standard flooded battery.
    Go with a smile!
    2002 R1150RTP - current
    1986 Honda Magna 700 - gone
    1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 - gone

thanks, folks

appreciate all the replies. BT Plus works for gel batteries as well as the others. Amazon has it for under $45. thank you all.

Cool 3 way battery chargers/tenders

I was just reading the best way to preserve a batterie's life is with this type of charger. Here is part of the explanation:
    Batteries like to be charged in a certain way, especially when they have been deeply discharged. This type of charging is called 3 step regulated charging. Please note that only special SMART CHARGERS using computer technology can perform 3 step charging techniques. You don't find these types of chargers in parts stores and Wal-Marts. The first step is bulk charging where up to 80% of the battery energy capacity is replaced by the charger at the maximum voltage and current amp rating of the charger. When the battery voltage reaches 14.4 volts this begins the absorption charge step. This is where the voltage is held at a constant 14.4 volts and the current (amps) declines until the battery is 98% charged. Next comes the Float Step. This is a regulated voltage of not more than 13.4 volts and usually less than 1 amp of current. This in time will bring the battery to 100% charged or close to it. The float charge will not boil or heat batteries but will maintain the batteries at 100% readiness and prevent cycling during long term inactivity. Some Gel Cell and AGM batteries may require special settings or chargers. ******Any comments?

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Deltran FAQ page

1. Questions: How can I tell if my battery is charged or not?
    2. How long will it take to charge a battery?
    3. How can I tell if my battery needs to be replaced?
    4. How is the Battery Tender Plus battery charger different from a trickle charger?
    5. How is the Battery Tender Jr. battery charger different from a trickle charger?
    6. What makes the Battery Tender Plus battery charger different from other automatic battery chargers?
    7. Is the Battery Tender Plus battery charger more expensive than a trickle charger?
    8. Is the Battery Tender Jr. battery charger more expensive than a trickle charger?
    9. How long can I leave the Battery Tender Plus battery charger connected to a battery?
    10. How can the Battery Tender Plus battery charger that is rated at 1.25 amperes recharge a battery as fast as another charger that is rated at 3 amperes?
    11. Can I leave the Battery Tender Plus battery charger connected to a battery while I’m using the battery to power another appliance like a radio?
    12. Is there any danger that the Battery Tender Plus battery charger can cause any damage to other automotive electronic systems while it is connected to the battery in my automobile?
    13. How is the Battery Tender Plus battery charger different from the Battery Tender battery charger?
    14. Can the Battery Tender Plus battery charger be used to charge more than 1 battery simultaneously if the batteries are connected in parallel?
    15. Can I charge more than one battery at a time with a single charger?
    16. Can I charge batteries with different voltages on a single charger, either a 12-volt or a 6-volt charger?
    17. What happens if the AC power is removed from the Battery Tender Plus battery charger while it is connected to a fully charged battery?
    18. What is Temperature Compensation and how important is it?
    19. Can the Battery Tender Plus successfully perform the initial charge on a new, flooded, motorcycle battery?
    20. What is the expected life of a H-D battery?

For answers to all the above questions ... click here.

I use a 2.5-year old Battery Tender Plus model on my R1200S, which I have fourteen months, and I still charge up the same battery. That may not sound like a big deal, but here where a garage can get to 140-160 degrees in the summer, a fourteen month old battery fails every time at months 12-14. Mine still tests well using a line tester that can test static and at load.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Just bought battery tender/charger at Wal Mart for 19.95. 19 year old clerk with nose ring and tint of green in hair said it would work fine on any motorcycle battery. I know she has been trained by the company on such things. I haven't used it yet just getting ready for winter. I'll let you know.

RKL
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Quote Originally Posted by robertklee View Post
    Just bought battery tender/charger at Wal Mart for 19.95. 19 year old clerk with nose ring and tint of green in hair said it would work fine on any motorcycle battery. I know she has been trained by the company on such things. I haven't used it yet just getting ready for winter. I'll let you know.

I cooked one of my batteries with one of those,not so good.
    Karlheinz
    1998 r1100 rt/p
    1985 k 100 rs
    2001 k 1200 rs
    99 740 il

And those Wal-Mart units are not Battery Tender units. They are poor.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog