Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: battery tender recommendations?

My head hurts...

First, thank you all for the education!
    What I understand from all the reading is:
    1. ensure the battery tender is specific to the battery (e.g. gel, plus others, versus non-gel)
    2. the BMW tender has connections direct to the plug in for the BMW electrical system (is this year-dependent for circuitry? e.g. I ride a 2000 R1100RT - will it work plugged into the 'dash" or not?)
    3. the Battery Tender Plus (Deltran) will do the job but require a battery connection for the plug (provided) or a plug in receptacle (optional) to fit the BMW elec receiver.
    4. Pricing seems a bit wide for the Deltran BT Plus by model number. Anyone have experience with a gel capable Battery Tender plus? What model number, please?
    Cheers from what was yesterday a 75+ degree day in Northern Virginia....mother Nature at her finest.

This is the Battery Tender Plus you want. It works very well on my R1200S. Yes, the SAE pigtail is connected to my battery, as is my fuse box that powers the Zumo and the e-connection in the tank bag. All work very well thanks to BTP!
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by robertklee View Post
    Just bought battery tender/charger at Wal Mart for 19.95. 19 year old clerk with nose ring and tint of green in hair said it would work fine on any motorcycle battery. I know she has been trained by the company on such things. I haven't used it yet just getting ready for winter. I'll let you know.

It is probably a Schumaker charger. I own 3 or 4 of them. I used a couple of them when we stored bikes here in Texas over the summer while on the road - and used one or two of them last winter when we had 3 bikes stored in Kansas. I also have a Deltran Battery Tender and a BMW branded Deltran unit, and a Black and Decker and an Optimate. I have not had any issues with any of these chargers except the Black and Decker makes an annoying clicking sound when it turns itself on or changes modes.

Schumaker makes many models so it is possible to get one that isn't smart, or isn't suited for smart charging motorcycle batteries. But, if the packaging and instructions say it is suitable my opinion is that it will be OK.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    The trained electronic technician perspective:

There's no mystery to battery chargers. They are power supplies.

If you want to leave a charger connected for several days, weeks, or months, *any* of the automatic types will do the job for you. No need to pay extra for branding.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Bought an '04 GS with the "new" gel battery and due to ignorance thought I had to purchase the "official" BMW gel battery charger. Got the blue German or Austrian model for a little north of $100. It crapped out right after the warranty had expired. By then BMW was selling Deltran battery chargers for their gel batteries at a greatly inflated price (must have been the cost of the BMW logo), so I bought the non-official Deltran for less than $40. It has worked great for years, first on the gel battery and now the Panasonic AGM which replaced the gel. I replaced the gel battery with an AGM for the same reason I didn't buy another BMW battery charger--works the same for a fraction of the price.
    2004 R 1150 GS

With all this "gel battery specific" stuff I wonder:
    Suppose your bike came without a gel battery. The battery dies, and you replace it with a gel battery. Now, do you have to replace the alternator or voltage regulator with a "gel battery specific" model??? Or, is this all hype and snake oil?
    Just curious.
    I have tended my various batteries for years with a $9.95 charger from Sears. Hooked it up for a day or two every four to six weeks and never had a problem.
    J?rgen
    Red Rocks
    04 R1150GS adv
    04 K1200RS last of the great bricks

thank you...

thank you all. It appears a good approach is the deltran bt plus/12v with the pigtail attached to my battery, saving my bike sockets for other gear. Also appears a cost effective solution.
    Larry/Northern Va./R1100RT

This is a bit embarrassing as it shows a person with out of control MMS.........But I'm getting treatment.........

Anyways,
    I have six motorcycles, a classic sports car and a sump pump back-up system that all have an Optimate battery charger hooked up. I have not replaced a battery in the last five years. Some of the vehicles are in heated spaces, but some are not.

I've tried all kinds of discount trickle chargers and other brands of battery maintainers and they all either failed or toasted my batteries. Since I switched to Optimate I've had zero issues.

http://www.optimate3.com/
    RoyB....
    2007 BMW K1200R Sport (abs),2007 Suzuki dl650 V Strom (abs),2004 Honda VFR (abs),1972 Honda Trail 90,
    2001 Moto Guzzi V-11 Rosso Mandello

Figaro1100R

Powerlet plug

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-J View Post
    Battery Tender Plus! It works on all bikes beautifully.
    I have a Battery Tender (junior, I think). With the proper plug I can just plug it into the Powerlet receptacle on the side of the bike, right?

I have 3 of the Schumacker units from WM.

I am an electrical engineer and I have actually worked for a battery manufacturer.

They are a 3 step unit, all the voltages are correct and they do an excellent job on SLA, gell or Flooded. They are a very good value. They abuse the battery much less than the bike alternator.

There are several things that happen to LA batteries. If they are overcharged, then they lose water, this increases the specific gravity of the acid, and the plates corrode, and the battery eventually gets too weak to work.

If they are left discharged, over time the sufate crystals grow larger. They can puncture the separators and short a cell. Or they can shed and short a cell. Or they are just unavailable, and the battery gets weak.

The activation energy to convert a large sulfate crystal, is greater than the charger delivers, there are pulse chargers that can do it. The Schumacker unit does not do this, and if you keep your battery charged reasonably well ( >80%) you never will need to.

However you can buy that kind of charger too, but to be honest, unless you like walking in MC boots, just buy a new battery. They cost less than a tire.

Using a tender ever night, is overkill unless you have a bike with too small an alternator for all your lights and gear. Using it if shut off for a week, or 2 is over kill. If not going to drive for a month or more, then use the tender.

I check mine with a voltmeter every so often, and one did fail and overcharge a bit, it was on a trolling motor battery so it was overloaded, I do not use on that any more.

Schumacker rocks.

Rod
    Last edited by ragtoplvr; 11-13-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: note, run spell check B4 hitting save.

I use the BMW battery charger for gel batteries. Pricier than most but just plug it in a BMW port and let it do its thing. This will be my 4th winter using it. The battery is origional on my 04 R-1150-RT. I do not know if this will work on the newer single wire bikes.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

RoyB - You forgot your airplanes,RC toys,batteries for guns.
    Here's a new Optimate 4 since last year - again over seas - but can pick up the 3's in the mid $40.'s to 50. dollar range.
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

Quote Originally Posted by Figaro1100R View Post
    I have a Battery Tender (junior, I think). With the proper plug I can just plug it into the Powerlet receptacle on the side of the bike, right?
    This only works on a non-CanBus bike. It will not work with a Canbus bike. As I have the BT Plus, I use a SAE pigtail from the battery. It works like a charm.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

I had an Accumate which I'm sorry to admit I gave to a friend in Mexico-what was I thinking?It was worth the extra $$$ IMO.
    Deltran has excellent customer service reputation and the 1 time I dealt with them earned nothing but high marks.