Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: electric Heat

Talking

I have never had a problem with cold hands but my wife has.
    The last cold trip we took while we were standing around in a parking lot and her hands got cold.
    Then we took off and turned on the Gerbing jacket liners. After a while her hands warmed up because of the sleeves being heated. That never happened when we had vests.

Right Wing Conspirator Grey_Matter's Avatar
    Originally posted by gambrinus
    I have the Gerbing jacket liner and think that it's the greatest thing since...free beer! Not to knock the other stuff, but I can recommend the Gerbing goodies 100%

RW
    What gambrinus said. I can recommend the Gerbing 100% as well.

As for vest vs. jacket, well I like my arms & they never did anything to me. So I say let them be warm.

I use a thermostat that is installed on the left side of the beak next to the accessory outlet on my R1150GSA. The plug for the jacket is routed to come out from the front of the seat between the seat & gas tank. This is a very nice set-up for me & works very well.
    Euelle: Hey, these blow up into funny shapes at all?
    Old Timer: Well, no. Unless round is funny...

Rounder Number 60

3. 11-13-2004, 12:25 AM

Thanks Gene for the Dual Star recommendation. ANybody else have a recommendation for aftermarket grip heat? My bike has some that the PO installed and they suck.
    I'd like some that are not only well-made for a good price, but also produce USEABLE heat- the crappy old ones I'm looking to replace get too hot even on the low setting!
    Bikeless for now...but not forever!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

2006 K1200GT, 1986 K100 merrittgene's Avatar
    I only ride with gloves on, but the first time I used the grips, I thought LOW was pretty warm, but it was high 50's outside. Since then, I've used them down to the upper 30's and they work great at Low, and it's nice to have High in reserve. Low is comfortable enough that I never have to take my hands off the grips...unlike when I *had* to keep one hand by the engine.

One of the best investments I ever made.

FWIW, I purposely chose the DualStar model because the left and right elements are not the same. Orionrider pointed out that the kit he purchased from Aerostitch had the same element for each side, so he added a layer of 2-liter bottle plastic under the throttle grip, just to equalize the temperature.

Best wishes. good luck, warm hands, open roads, etc.
    Gene Merritt - Ames, IA - BMWMOA#111610 - IBA#21886 - Rounder #26 - Webmeister, Bahnsturmers
    ---- 1986 K100 ---- 2006 K1200GT ---- 2001 F650GSD ----

2003 K12RS

one vote for the expensive model bmw vest

I purchased the exensive bmw vest and am quite happy with the results and would recommend. I was looking at Gerbering since you can expand to heated arms and it also got high marks from my neighbor. I chose the bmw model because of fit, two settings for heat, material, nothing around the neck and it did not bind under my jacket.

When trying on less expensive bmw model I found that it ran small, needed extra large for correct fit. The expensive model seemed to run true to size, usually I wear a large and that is what fit.

When wearing my joe rocket 3.0 pants and jacket with liner it's low setting to ~34 and high setting below that.

I would also recommend one of those wind stopper under helmet neck gaiters, picked one and tested this past weekend for a couple of hours at temp of 30 - 40 and it was like summer with vest on low and grips on high.

hope this helps....

Encumbered by employment BouncinBob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by merrittgene
    (I ended up cutting the end off and crimping some spade connectors to it, and then bypassing my BMW plug recepticle. Lesson: carry extra crimp connectors in addition to the Leatherman.
    Now, if you look at my bike, where the seat meets the tank you will find 1 Widder connector and one gerbings connectors. These run straight off the battery. They are there for 2 reasons:

1) So I don't need to find nice people in motorhomes. i.e. back-up.

2) When it gets REAL COLD, like 0 F ambient, I pull off the heat troller and extra cord and plug the gerbings jacket straight into the backup plug. This gives the little bit of Wattage the heat toller uses to the jacket and shortens the cord lowering resistance and runs all the way from the battery on heavier gauge cord. You'd be surprised how much more warmth you can get when it is actually cold out.

All that said, I've had Widder, it all dies and the Gerbings warranty can't be beat. My arms were cold, the bottom of the arms when I used the arm chaps. Widder is dead right about the heat transfer when the garment is tight. Therefore I have a tight long sleeved T shirt I pull over the Gerbings to snug it to me.

Ahh, heat.
    Bouncin Bob Malehorn
    Treasurer - BMWMOA
    Mentor OH
    98 K12RS RIP
    02 K12RS
    03 R1150R Hers
    69 H1

Encumbered by employment BouncinBob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Will
    I would also recommend one of those wind stopper under helmet neck gaiters, picked one and tested this past weekend for a couple of hours at temp of 30 - 40 and it was like summer with vest on low and grips on high.
    Oh yes. I have a Balacava with the wind stopper from the chin down. This does a most exellent job of making a huge difference. Really one of the best investments I've made.
    Bouncin Bob Malehorn
    Treasurer - BMWMOA
    Mentor OH
    98 K12RS RIP
    02 K12RS
    03 R1150R Hers
    69 H1

2006 K1200GT, 1986 K100 merrittgene's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BouncinBob
    My arms were cold, the bottom of the arms when I used the arm chaps. Widder is dead right about the heat transfer when the garment is tight. Therefore I have a tight long sleeved T shirt I pull over the Gerbings to snug it to me.
    I learned the same thing...the Gerbing liner doesn't do much for the underside of my arms *unless* it's touching them.

I'll have to try the t-shirt idea. Thanks!
    Gene Merritt - Ames, IA - BMWMOA#111610 - IBA#21886 - Rounder #26 - Webmeister, Bahnsturmers
    ---- 1986 K100 ---- 2006 K1200GT ---- 2001 F650GSD ----

Can't Grow It?? Mow it!! bullit7801's Avatar
    Lincoln, NE; Flat, Boring & Windy Great Plains

Thumbs up Go for the Gerbings WITH heated gloves

I concur with the recomendations for the Gerbings jacket liner. One of the best features of having the sleeves is that you can opt for connections for heated gloves. Now that I have them, I wonder why I rode so long without them.
    My new ride has heated grips but when it is really cold, the heated grips with the heated gloves make a big difference. Maybe I am just a wuss, like KBasa, but cold hands make for an uncomfortable ride.

Get the sleeves with connectors for heated gloves.

tb
    Tom "Bullit" Buttars
    BMW MOA Treasurer, Ambassador
    1978 R100RS, 2006 F650GS, 2007 F800S

Fof Rally Bast'd at Large rocketman's Avatar
    I picked up the full jacket liner from Gerbings and couldn't be happier with it. Full sleves and the high collar work wonders. For my hands I just picked up a set of Handlebar Mitts like you find on ATV sites, then just punched some holes for the mirror stems. They work great with light gloves down the high 20's without any heating eliments. For those really cold, long rides just throw some chemical heating pads inside the mitts. They cost me around 40 bux and take all of 5 minutes to put on when it starts turning cold.

RM
    "A man isn't totally drunk if he can lie on the floor without hanging on!" Joe Louis; comedian
    "I'll make a deal with you, I won't bore with my Science if you don't bore me with your Politics!" Lionel Barrymore from the 1929 film "The Mysterious Island"

Vest vs. Liner - Aerostich

Greetings,

My mate/girlfriend/sweetheart and I have a couple of Aerostich Kanestsu vests that we've used for a year or two. They're comfy down to about 50 on our GS Adventure, but below that they don't cut the mustard.

On a recent trip that turned cold and nasty, we both decided that warm arms are not optional.

I'd been planning to sell the vests and get the Aerostich windblock heated liners, but this thread has caused me to seriously consider the Gerbings instead. I really like most of the gear I've gotten from Aerostich, but haven't heard anything from someone who has one of their liners.

Anyone with personal experience of Aerostich liners?
    Timba
    "You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it."
    ~ Charles Buxton
    TnA's travels

aerostitch vest

I've had great luck with mine. I think it's how you wear/layer. I wear a long sleeve t-shirt, then the vest, then aerostitich suit. This is good down to about 40. Below that I throw a lightweight fleece pullover between the vest and suit, then I'm good down to high 20's. Doesn't get much colder than that around here.

Meant to say this is riding an 1100GS with standard windshield and heated grips with medium weight gloves.
    99 1100GS
    98 Ducati 900SSFE
    2002 Polaris Ranger 6X6 'Bucky'

Quote Originally Posted by nospamsatx
    Greetings,

My mate/girlfriend/sweetheart and I have a couple of Aerostich Kanestsu vests that we've used for a year or two. They're comfy down to about 50 on our GS Adventure, but below that they don't cut the mustard.

On a recent trip that turned cold and nasty, we both decided that warm arms are not optional.

I'd been planning to sell the vests and get the Aerostich windblock heated liners, but this thread has caused me to seriously consider the Gerbings instead. I really like most of the gear I've gotten from Aerostich, but haven't heard anything from someone who has one of their liners.

Anyone with personal experience of Aerostich liners?
    I don't have any personal experience, but something that may want to take into consideration is the price. The Gerbings is a bit cheaper than the Stich isn't it?
    Garth Eppley
    1990 K75s
    Yankee Beemers Midwest
    Rounder No. 7
    Midwest Clan

We're not home yet.Yipee!

Yes to Gerbing

I had a grand time on the phone just ordering the gloves (I opted against the purchase of the whole suit due to lack of $ at the time and have gone on to purchase other foul weather riding gear)...very nice folks on the other end. Best of all, after 5 years and 80,000+ miles, the gloves (which have been through many downpours and even a touch of snow) are still going strong.

With the gloves, if the temperature is above about 45 degrees, hands can get a bit too warm. You would not want this effect with the whole suit or even just the vest. I would suggest that you get the temperature controls.