Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: electric Heat

Hybrid View

Question electric Heat

My old Eclipse electric vest has finaly quit, any recomendations, new vest or a full heated jacket? I have been looking at Aerostich Kanetsu windblock electric vests and jackets but don't know if I need heated sleeves or not.

Buzzed and Belligerent gambrinus's Avatar
    I have the Gerbing jacket liner and think that it's the greatest thing since...free beer! Not to knock the other stuff, but I can recommend the Gerbing goodies 100%

RW
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" B. Franklin

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    I second the Gerbings. Just remember to get it with the heat controller, not just the switch.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

REBECCAV

G-e-r-b-i-n-g

The full liner - not just vest. High heated collar, nice folks and good customer service.

2006 K1200GT, 1986 K100 merrittgene's Avatar
    I just bought the Gerbing liner after asking my club and everyone on IBMWR. Gerbing was the clear favorite.

As for a controller, someone suggested that I opt for a real Heat-Troller instead of the Gerbing Chinese-made rip-off version. I'm not unhappy that I took that advice, either.

I used the combination for the first time on my way to/from the GM400 in Vermont. Very nice, very essential.

The only problem I during the entire trip was that my new brand-new Gerbing brand BMW-to-jacket adapter cord died at the BMW plug end. Seems the connecter came unscrewed internally, which caused the plug to melt and then quit working.

(I ended up cutting the end off and crimping some spade connectors to it, and then bypassing my BMW plug recepticle. Lesson: carry extra crimp connectors in addition to the Leatherman. Second lesson: people who drive motor-coaches tend to carry *everything* with them, so they are a good part-source on the open road, and are probably willing to help if asked nicely.)

Anyway, there's no substitute for quality-made products. The jacket is American-made, so I hope that means something.
    Gene Merritt - Ames, IA - BMWMOA#111610 - IBA#21886 - Rounder #26 - Webmeister, Bahnsturmers
    ---- 1986 K100 ---- 2006 K1200GT ---- 2001 F650GSD ----

Encumbered by employment BouncinBob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by merrittgene
    (I ended up cutting the end off and crimping some spade connectors to it, and then bypassing my BMW plug recepticle. Lesson: carry extra crimp connectors in addition to the Leatherman.
    Now, if you look at my bike, where the seat meets the tank you will find 1 Widder connector and one gerbings connectors. These run straight off the battery. They are there for 2 reasons:

1) So I don't need to find nice people in motorhomes. i.e. back-up.

2) When it gets REAL COLD, like 0 F ambient, I pull off the heat troller and extra cord and plug the gerbings jacket straight into the backup plug. This gives the little bit of Wattage the heat toller uses to the jacket and shortens the cord lowering resistance and runs all the way from the battery on heavier gauge cord. You'd be surprised how much more warmth you can get when it is actually cold out.

All that said, I've had Widder, it all dies and the Gerbings warranty can't be beat. My arms were cold, the bottom of the arms when I used the arm chaps. Widder is dead right about the heat transfer when the garment is tight. Therefore I have a tight long sleeved T shirt I pull over the Gerbings to snug it to me.

Ahh, heat.
    Bouncin Bob Malehorn
    Treasurer - BMWMOA
    Mentor OH
    98 K12RS RIP
    02 K12RS
    03 R1150R Hers
    69 H1

2006 K1200GT, 1986 K100 merrittgene's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BouncinBob
    My arms were cold, the bottom of the arms when I used the arm chaps. Widder is dead right about the heat transfer when the garment is tight. Therefore I have a tight long sleeved T shirt I pull over the Gerbings to snug it to me.
    I learned the same thing...the Gerbing liner doesn't do much for the underside of my arms *unless* it's touching them.

I'll have to try the t-shirt idea. Thanks!
    Gene Merritt - Ames, IA - BMWMOA#111610 - IBA#21886 - Rounder #26 - Webmeister, Bahnsturmers
    ---- 1986 K100 ---- 2006 K1200GT ---- 2001 F650GSD ----

Can't Grow It?? Mow it!! bullit7801's Avatar
    Lincoln, NE; Flat, Boring & Windy Great Plains

Thumbs up Go for the Gerbings WITH heated gloves

I concur with the recomendations for the Gerbings jacket liner. One of the best features of having the sleeves is that you can opt for connections for heated gloves. Now that I have them, I wonder why I rode so long without them.
    My new ride has heated grips but when it is really cold, the heated grips with the heated gloves make a big difference. Maybe I am just a wuss, like KBasa, but cold hands make for an uncomfortable ride.

Get the sleeves with connectors for heated gloves.

tb
    Tom "Bullit" Buttars
    BMW MOA Treasurer, Ambassador
    1978 R100RS, 2006 F650GS, 2007 F800S

rocketman
    I picked up the full jacket liner from Gerbings and couldn't be happier with it. Full sleves and the high collar work wonders. For my hands I just picked up a set of Handlebar Mitts like you find on ATV sites, then just punched some holes for the mirror stems. They work great with light gloves down the high 20's without any heating eliments. For those really cold, long rides just throw some chemical heating pads inside the mitts. They cost me around 40 bux and take all of 5 minutes to put on when it starts turning cold.

RM

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Gerbings without a doubt. Just look at how many Rounders wear 'em.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

I just ordered a new Aerostich vest (my old one was stolen months ago). Why didn't I opt for the gerbing? I tried one and found it ill-fitting, ugly (I like to be able to walk around in public with this stuff) and, dare I say it?, too warm. I like the vest because I can throw it on and forget that it's there until I need some heat. By itself it doesn't insulate much and so I can just use it to add a little heat or if I want to be really warm, put a fleece over the top. IOW, it gives me more layering options that a full jacket does. The ideal solution, IMHO, would be to do what a certain Mr.Brick does, have both a jacket liner and a vest.

Besides, the gerbing with all the needed doohickeys is a big pile of money - more than twice the cost of a vest.
    scott conary - BMW... err...umm... bikes are dangerous
    portland, oregon
    www.scottconary.com | new paintings

NE Arkansas - Between Goobertown and Buck Snort

Another vote for Gerbing

Gerbing heat under a Gore?« Windstopper shell makes an unbeatable lightweight cold-weather combination under your regular riding jacket.
    Vests are nice, but you'll never regret the extra money spent on something with sleeves and a heated collar.
    Last edited by IndyGT; 12-03-2004 at 07:06 PM.

Re: Another vote for Gerbing

Originally posted by IndyGT
    Gerbing heat under a Gore?« Windstopper shell makes an unbeatable lightweight cold-weather combination.
    Vests are nice, but you'll never regret the extra money spent on something with sleeves and a heated collar.
    Then you don't know how thin my wallet is.
    portland, oregon

dlearl476

Re: Another vote for Gerbing

Originally posted by IndyGT
    Gerbing heat under a Gore?« Windstopper shell makes an unbeatable lightweight cold-weather combination.
    At least until you fall down and wish you'd have been wearing a MOTORCYCLING jacket, with armor in the elbows and shoulders. Warm is good, but warm and protected is even better.
    I prefer a vest, simply because most of my gear would be uncomfortable with added bulk in the arms and I find that a warm torso keeps the rest of me plenty warm, right down to my toes and fingers.

Re: Re: Another vote for Gerbing

Originally posted by dlearl
    At least until you fall down and wish you'd have been wearing a MOTORCYCLING jacket, with armor in the elbows and shoulders. Warm is good, but warm and protected is even better.
    I prefer a vest, simply because most of my gear would be uncomfortable with added bulk in the arms and I find that a warm torso keeps the rest of me plenty warm, right down to my toes and fingers.
    Yep
    portland, oregon