Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: tent question

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    The fewer the poles and pegs, the faster the tent goes up or down. Clips are faster than sleeves for attaching the fabric to the poles.

I don't have the need for more than one door, but 2 and 3 person tents all seem to come with two doors. The fly for the second door is just one more thing to stake out.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Smile

I bought the larger Catoma tent at The Winter Rally in Camp Blanding FL. It has a vestibule at both ends and plenty of room for me and my "stuff". No poles to piece together, no leaks ( I was 2 tents down from Tom at the Rally in TN). I also have a Coleman tent that packs a little smaller than the Catoma but takes longer to erect. The Catoma has the rain fly built in while most other tents have the option of using it or not. Ride Safe

Pardon my mistake as there is a segmented pole for the large vestibule, it is retained by clips. CATOMA SWITCHBACK
    Last edited by Rpbump; 12-27-2011 at 06:15 PM.

I have owned Eureka, North Face and Mountain Hardwear back packing tents over the years. The North Face and Mountain Hardwear are my favorites. Any tent will serve you well in good weather. High winds and heavy rain are the conditions that make you appreciate a well built tent. Whatever tent you buy I recommend one with a full coverage rain fly. Not only will it keep you dry but you will have a protected area outside your sleeping area to keep your boots and other grundgy stuff you don't want inside the tent.
    I get knocked down, But I get up again, You're never going to keep me down - Chumbawamba

Denver, CO - '05 R1200RT, '06 F650 GS Dakar, 2006 Yamaha WR450F

I've been looking at tents as well.

The three that I like so far are the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL3 (lightweight, about 285.00), the Big Agnes Parkveiw 3 (lots of room, two doors, a little heavier, about 225.00), and the Catoma Switchback (cool design, quick set up, two doors, heavy, about 245.00).

I looked at the Parkview and the Switchback at the rally in Tennessee and liked them both. I looked at the Seedhouse SL 3 at an outdoor store and not sure about durability.

Tough choice, lots of opinions; durable, waterproof, and reasonably light are all important to me. Tough choice. Will probably go with the Parkview.

I decided....finally. I went with the Catoma Switchback. I can't give a precise reason why I decided on the Switchback considering that it had been #3 on my order of preference. I guess I was tired of thinking about it and wanted to go camping. It should be here in a day or two. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Coleman has been pretty good for me. They keep changing their tents from year to year, so some years, the rain fly is longer than others.

My customers for the most part stay dry, unless the rain comes down at a more horizontal direction. Then all bets are off, spray will enter under the rain fly.

I do lose fiberglass poles, but with the inventory I carry, I always have spares.

The bathtub design of the coleman tent has been great, my tents have been in standing water while remaining dry inside.

Oh, for the record, I provide a 7x7 and 7x9 tent. I use the 7x7 for one person, 7x9 for two. The 7x7 will sleep three, but only if you leave all gear outside and don't mind sleeping in an intimate environment.

When buying a tent, you should consider height, if I were just packing a tent in a trunk of a car, I'd use a tent where I can stand up and change clothes. I've known others to use the small one man tent, and when the weather is foul for hours on end, it's a pretty cramped area to be holed up in.

My tents fared rather well during the Lima storm. Many laid down flat in the 60+ mph winds. The secret there was that I tossed away the OEM tent stakes and replaced with the 10" nail/stakes.
    Camping guy

My Switchback came in about 10 days ago.

I set the tent up and found a 1/4x1/2 L shaped hole in the top next to the hub. I don't know if I caused the hole when I set it up, or if the hole was in the tent beforehand. I called the company and told them about the hole. They arranged to have the tent picked up and returned. A new replacement showed up today.Excellent service I'd say.

I thought it looked good. Plenty of floor space and head room. I really like the color. I liked the gear loft and the pockets around the insides. If it packed up any bigger I think it would be too big for the back of a bike; just my opinion...they vary.

It took me longer than 30 seconds to set it up the first time, about five minutes I guess. I figure after two or three times it should be pretty quick. I can't believe it will be that much faster than a Big Agnes Parkview or any of the tents that clip to the poles. We'll see.

I'm pretty excited. The weather here in South Louisiana is perfect for camping. I'll let everyone know how the first night goes.

Exclamation

I guess he didn't make it back....
    Phil Keppelman #20331
    MOA Rally Stage Manager
    The shortest distance between two points.............
    ain't how I got here......

I have just found the best tent I have ever had, a Coleman Exponent Helios x3. Spent 8 weeks in it this past summer and it never let me down in both strong wind and heavy wind. Got it on E bay for $216.00.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

I guess he didn't make it back....
    Didn't know what you meant by that until I checked the previous post date; a 2 year bump.

Catoma's "Lone Rider" is reviewed in the December ON and got a pretty good review here as well. And at $287 the price isn't too steep.

The Coleman is a good looking tent. On sale right now too for $300.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...=#.TvodqFb4JLo

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

I've got to stand by the vote for the Eureka Timberline 4. I finally retired mine after nearly 20 years, and I loved it. Never leaked, never tore never failed ( It just finally got too ratty to use anymore!).

I replaced it last season with a Eureka BackCountry model primarily for the pack size - (it fits in a pannier) and while it is a good tent and hasn't let me down, I think I'll be going back to the TL4.

Maybe I'm a creature of habit, but I just like it better!
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

Coleman on sale

I just found the Coleman Montana on sale for $65.00.

http://www.meijer.com/s/coleman-mont...&cmpid=goobase
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

They aren't cheap...

The best tent I've ever used/owned is a Hilleberg Keron 4GT. Their whole product line is incredible and highly respected among the more adventurous/remote backpackers/travelers. That particular tent is fairly easy to set up with two people, but it would be too much for just one person. I want to get/try out one of their smaller tents.

If you ever have been caught on top of a mountain in a serious thunderstorm (50+MPH gusts), you want one of these!

http://www.hilleberg.com/usa.htm

Edit: Unlike most manufacturers, they don't cheat on specs either. You get exactly what they advertise. Then again, for what they charge you'd better!

wow. . . that Keron is a lot of tent, it's16 feet long!!! At $975 that's $61 a foot.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    wow. . . that Keron is a lot of tent, it's16 feet long!!! At $975 that's $61 a foot.
    Yes, but the next step up is basically full out expedition tents that weigh several times that and cost as much as a new bike.
    Last edited by gunderwood; 12-28-2011 at 01:26 PM.