Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: tent question

tent question

I am looking for a tent that sets up and tears down fast, is water proof, and is a 3 person size. any suggestions?

RK Ryder
    Sherpa Services uses 8'x8' Coleman tents. They put up a lot at rallies. I have one and have used it for three seasons. It was slower to put up then my current 1 man Eureka tent but much faster to erect than the 3 man Big Agnes' tent that I picked up at Gray City Rally. The Coleman takes longer to pack than my other two, takes up more space and weight on the bike. I did seal the seams before using the Coleman but that was not required with either of the two tents.

For the money, it is a good buy.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 85801 View Post
    I am looking for a tent that sets up and tears down fast, is water proof, and is a 3 person size. any suggestions?
    Eureka Pinnacle Pass 3XTA. I've been using a 2XTA for a few years and I'd buy another one.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by 85801 View Post
    Motel 6

Douglas Williams
    My REI half-dome doesn't really fit your 3-man criteria but has some features you might consider in your search.
    1. Clip-on rain fly. I like this because I can take the tent down in rain under the fly keeping the tent and my gear dry for packing.
    2. A vestibule. Other tents have better designed vestibules but any is better than none for storage for non-tent items as well as a way to keep debris out of the tent.
    3. Good ventilation. Most of my camping is 3-season, warmer more than cooler.

If you haven't joined REI, I would highly recommend that you do. Good stuff, great staff.
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

thanks for the input. motel 6 was ok until i took a 20,000 pay cut this year...i'm a teacher. does anyone remember the tent that was shown at either the vermont or gelette rally. it has some sort of "hub" and set up quickly.

I wasn't at those rallies

But I'm sure it was these:

http://www.catomaoutdoor.com/Catalog...o.aspx?cid=112

I bought the small one at the Falling Leaf Rally and it really is as easy as they say.
    Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    14 R1200RT (currently parked) 07 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Sherpa Services uses 8'x8' Coleman tents. They put up a lot at rallies. I have one and have used it for three seasons. It was slower to put up then my current 1 man Eureka tent but much faster to erect than the 3 man Big Agnes' tent that I picked up at Gray City Rally. The Coleman takes longer to pack than my other two, takes up more space and weight on the bike. I did seal the seams before using the Coleman but that was not required with either of the two tents.

For the money, it is a good buy.
    I have used one of these (in a different size) for several years, admittedly not a lot. I have been in some serious storms provided by MOA, Lima, Oh and Gillette, Wy, and have come through high and dry. IMHO they are a great value. Should something happen to destroy the tent (Don't forget that even the most expensive are, after all cloth) I am only out $50.00.
    Last edited by amiles; 10-27-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Campmor,REI,Sportsmans Friend-all on the web & then eBay . BTW, as a retired teacher, I have to ask: how does a teacher get anything if they take a 20k cut?

Rally Rat
    This discussion is getting too intense

I bought the larger Catoma at the MOA rally this year after a catastrophic failure of my REI tent during the rainstorm. I like everything about the tent except that it is considerably heavier and packs larger than my REI and Eureka tents. I now need a H2W "large" tent bag. My bike does not seem to notice the 3 pound difference in weight. The ease of set up and tear down and packing more than makes up for the size difference.

Be wise:)

Buying a tent is so subjective to your needs and seasonal use! I camped in Big Bend NP this past February and it got to 15 degrees at night! My GSA suffered more than me, as the cold and my oil(20-50w), differed come morning. I survived in my small 1+ man REI Bullfrog tent. Small tents and cold is GOOD. Larger tents are not going to warm up inside. Just know your needs, before buying any tents. OR, maybe own several tents like me, for different seasons. My other two are Eureka's, one is a good 2 man, 3+ season and the other is a moderate weather, no wind tent(Timberline 4 man by Eureka). The latter comes in various models. Buy the Outfitter Timberline for a better built tent, at about 275$+. I bought the cheaper one and that was wrong! I've had to modify it a LOT. Not one of my better days, buying tents. Randy

The MSR tent is really fast to put up and take down. I am very happy with it.

I also had the REI "old style" Half-Dome tent that was really fast to put up and take down... it was faster than the MSR... but REI has changed the design since and have no experience with their new design.

Aluminum tent poles

I highly recommend getting a tent with aluminum poles rather than fiberglass poles. I am really active with our Boy Scout Troop and do a lot of camping with them. We have had tents with both types of poles and the fiberglass ones have all split and been tossed out. Aluminum poles are lighter weight and just more durable IMO. If you have to slide your poles through tent sleeves to set the tent up, the fiberglass pole's section ferrules tend to get hung up on the sleeves and stress the fabric also. We have torn sections of our tent sleeves setting up in a hurry in the rain at night with our fiberglass poles. That's been my experience anyway. Good luck on your choice.
    '75 R75/6

biker trash

tent

I had a eureka tl4 loved it quick set up didn't leak in torrential downpours seam sealed it.I got caught in a tornadoe in burnett texas back in 94 went in a steel building for shelter upon police evacuation.When I returned the only tent left standing was mine.The aluminum frame twisted from the force of the wind but was still usable had I put the guy wires on the poles it wouldn't have been damaged.After 17 years I retired it and bought the 2 man pinacle pass by eureka.I am 5'10" 280lbs what a mistake this tent is to small.I have used it for 4years and can't stand it I will be going back to a tl4 plenty of room easy set up and take down. Dutch

I have been using the coleman stuff for over 10 years and have a 7x7 that I picked up on sale at Sportsmans Warehouse for $39.95 in 2002), used it a lot and abused it in every way possibile.

Still works fine and held up in a gale and driving rain by keeping me dry not long ago.

Its a little heavier, a bit larger when packed, but were talking 100 HP bikes and a couple inches. I broke a tent pole in FL one night setting up in the dark. Coleman replaced it for free. (Tent was 3 years old at the time)

Why would anyone buy anything else? First one I bought was a "Peak" 2 man with alum poles. (Backpacking tent) If I could find another I would buy it today! Weighed only about 4# , fit in a std system case. It did cost a bit more but best tent I have ever had.

I guess I am a "Coleman Guy".
    T