Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 101

Thread: Buell to be Discontinued

  1. #31
    BMW MOA co-founder bmwdean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,009

    Buell bikes the dust

    Down for the count:

    http://www.buell.com/en_us/
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

  2. #32
    Cage Rattler wezul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    Posts
    3,527
    Yeah man, two threads on this already.

  3. #33
    tudo beleza
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    150
    It's sad to see the company go but as for Eric Buell I find it hard to feel much sympathy. After all he got to realize his dream to a degree that most of us will not even come close to and I would be willing to bet he isn't walking away empty handed.
    '02 R1150RS
    '08 SAAB 9-3 AERO 'vert
    '08 Honda Element EX

  4. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Carol Stream, IL
    Posts
    73

    Bye Bye Buell

    H-D must have to take all those huge profits made over the past few years and invest it in developing new bits of chrome or coffee mugs, or in their marketing department to convince people the "lifestyle" is cool. You know, if they have to explain it..... I rode a friend's Ulysses and was quite impressed. Just one more reason to despise H-D.

  5. #35
    Registered User I-MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beacon, NY
    Posts
    40
    Very Sad, having owned a Buell Blast for a short period this year before i got the G650GS, i learned to identify with Erik and his vision and great motorcycles. I could be harley decided it would be better to sell and develop pet products and Buell motorcycles

    On a recent trip to San Francisco, i got Bob the cat the Harley Low Rider cat toy



    That may be the future of HD

    Good luck to you Erik in your future endeavors.
    BMWMOA #152104

    2009 BMW G650GS
    2006 Honda Big Ruckus

  6. #36
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    629

    Harley-Davidson Discontinues Buell


  7. #37
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,264
    The Buell was for a different rider than the typical HD rider. HD's main customer base is the Boomers that finally acquired enough money or rating to buy the bike of their dreams. Their market is dropping because the Boomers that wanted a HD have gotten one or they have health/age issues that eliminates them from being customers.

    HD will lose the Buell customers to other marques and the drop in sales of the traditional HD will continue to fall.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  8. #38
    Registered User 85138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Balt Burbs MD
    Posts
    247

    Sorry toi see it go ...

    I've been rooting for Buell's since I owned a '93 Sportster and saw some of Erik Buell's earlier efforts. The initial release of the XB9R has me salivating. However, I must say I was underwhelmed riding the XB9R and XB12R and comparing them to air cooled Ducati's, the SV650 and more modern Ducati's and sport bikes. My old DUC 900SS felt better.

    I like the uniqueness and overall design though to be honest, if you read ride reviews the bikes never quite lived up to expectations (despite centralised mass, lightweight, unique brakes, etc.). The aging Sportster plant was one achilles heal along w/ notorious unreliability. With the Rotax engines on the 1125's, things were certainly improving though the looks of that model didn't appeal as much to me.

    Perhaps Polaris could take a look at MV to broaden their line. Tough undertaking in these troubling times but if the price is right ...

    Hopefully Mike Czysz is looking at the remnants (Buell & MV) which would provide instrant entree into the market and facilitate launching is his futuristic ideas ... http://www.motoczysz.com/main.php?area=home

  9. #39
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    10,531
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    The Buell was for a different rider than the typical HD rider. HD's main customer base is the Boomers that finally acquired enough money or rating to buy the bike of their dreams. Their market is dropping because the Boomers that wanted a HD have gotten one or they have health/age issues that eliminates them from being customers.

    HD will lose the Buell customers to other marques and the drop in sales of the traditional HD will continue to fall.
    In general it is easy to agree with your assessment until your last paragraph.

    On a simplistic level HD will loose Buell customers to other marques. The real concern the motorcycle industry and motorcycling in general is there are not new customers to replace the boomers. This is not just an American phenomenon. Study after study by the various industry councils and independent studies showing a rapidly aging customer base that is not attracting new young riders in numbers that will sustain the industry.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

    St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

  10. #40
    Registered User amiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Murrells Inlet, S. C.
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    In general it is easy to agree with your assessment until your last paragraph.

    On a simplistic level HD will loose Buell customers to other marques. The real concern the motorcycle industry and motorcycling in general is there are not new customers to replace the boomers. This is not just an American phenomenon. Study after study by the various industry councils and independent studies showing a rapidly aging customer base that is not attracting new young riders in numbers that will sustain the industry.
    I continue to be mystified by the younger generations not being interested in motorcycles. When I was in my 20's all I could think about was girls, motorcycles and cars, pretty much in that order. Are they all sitting home playing video games and looking at porno?

  11. #41
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    10,531
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMcLain View Post
    H-D must have to take all those huge profits made over the past few years and invest it in developing new bits of chrome or coffee mugs, or in their marketing department to convince people the "lifestyle" is cool. You know, if they have to explain it..... I rode a friend's Ulysses and was quite impressed. Just one more reason to despise H-D.
    H-D has clearly been a master in licensing and managing its name to third party manufactures of product. Ducati is the only other MC manufacturer to be able to come close to duplicating their success. What did they do with the money? YouÔÇÖre well wide of the mark.
    - two examples are in this threads story source. First they purchased and further developed Buell motorcycles. Eric Buell started and ran Buell as an independent and was eventually bought out by H-D. Secondly MV Agusta was purchased by HD with some of that money as well. If a fraction of the leaks and rumors were true riders missed out on the resurrection of the Cagiva Elephant and several Cagiva sport bikes that were reported to be in rapid development in an effort to expand customer base and bring a return on investment.
    - H-D has spent a great deal of money going through the hoops and the expense of establishing itself as an exporter to the European market.
    - H-D has been is about to enter the India market after several years of effort to overcome import barriers, transport laws and other legal issues.
    - A final example of what they have done with those profits is they paid investors dividends. I am not a big fan of the ÔÇÿHarley lifestyleÔÇÖ stuff nor do I purchase H-D branded items, yet I must admit to be a past owner of H-D stock. The dividends paid and the money made by buying and selling H-D stocks is, I suppose, in part responsible for my BMW lifestyle.


    It is easy to make fun of the branding but if you are a fan of motorcycling there is much more to this story and deeper implications for motorcycling than chrome coffee cups.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

    St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

  12. #42
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    10,531
    Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post
    I continue to be mystified by the younger generations not being interested in motorcycles. When I was in my 20's all I could think about was girls, motorcycles and cars, pretty much in that order. Are they all sitting home playing video games and looking at porno?


    There was an order to the thoughts?

    I canÔÇÖt multi task worth a darn anymore. I look back fondly on my youth when I could think about girls bikes cars and how to avoid homework all at the same time.

    I donÔÇÖt understand why the industry is having troubles attracting new riders and obviously they donÔÇÖt either.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

    St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

  13. #43
    Registered User mistercindy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    N. Dallas 'burb
    Posts
    778
    Sad. I'm inclined to blame Harley, or at least their dealers. I've been to several Harley dealerships to look at Buells, and one of the common elements is that there wasn't a Buell anywhere near the front of the store. They were usually back in a corner somewhere. In the Allen, Texas dealership that has a second story, the Buells were crammed in a wide spot of a hallway upstairs. If you walked into the place you wouldn't know a Buell was there unless you were led to them. The floor space was such that Buells were the obvious red headed step child. Maybe that wasn't true nationwide, but it was certainly true in the dealerships I visited.

    Its a shame that, other than huge cruisers, there isn't one American motorcycle manufacturer that plays a large role on the international motorcycle stage.
    Last edited by mistercindy; 10-16-2009 at 04:32 PM.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

  14. #44
    "Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    5,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    I donÔÇÖt understand why the industry is having troubles attracting new riders and obviously they donÔÇÖt either.
    Attention span and price.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

  15. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,962
    Quote Originally Posted by GrafikFeat View Post
    Attention span and price.
    Plus you can't just click on an icon and get a "new life" when you screw up. That is an alien, scary concept for "21st Century Digtal Boy".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •