Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on three button signals?

Turn Signals

Quote Originally Posted by pmonk View Post
    easiest to operate turn signals were on my hd electraglides. Simple big button one on each side. Push to turn on. Push to cancel or wait until it self cancelled.

The next best were the ones on my lt and rt. But didn't care for the right thumb up cancel button.

Next is the switch on my 90/6. Pretty simple, up for right, down for left and middle for cancel.

Least favorite is the one on the honda. One switch on a very cluttered control that is almost impossible to operate without looking. God forbid my life ever was to depend on finding the horn.
    a big ditto. Why everyone doesn't use that solution is way beyond me. It is easy and foolproof. It is probably the thing i miss most when i get on my bmw, from riding my harley. If i were god, i'd make it the standard for all bikes.

Orv hengen

The 3 switch is more intuitive to me. The questions I have are why did my '85 K100 have self cancelling turn signals and why my '82 Honda Sabre even had lean angle cancelling turn signals but 20 years later my '03 RT does not! And while I'm at it my K100 had a friction lock on the throttle that the '03 doesn't have. I am not sensing progress here.

MAYLETT
    I've been thinking about this. Despite an earlier post saying that I've never liked the three button setup, it's the third button ÔÇö the cancel button ÔÇö that I don't like.

Since signaling then canceling is part of single, coordinated, linear process it seems a bit nonintuitive to break the left-right paradigm halfway through the process by switching to a right hand-only cancellation using an entirely separate button that's shaped and pushed differently.

I agree with what others have said: it makes more sense to have two buttons. Click the right or left button to turn right or left, then click that same button again to cancel. Simple. It doesn't even require moving one's thumb from one switch to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Maylett View Post
    I've been thinking about this. Despite an earlier post saying that I've never liked the three button setup, it's the third button — the cancel button — that I don't like.

Since signaling then canceling is part of single, coordinated, linear process it seems a bit nonintuitive to break the left-right paradigm halfway through the process by switching to a right hand-only cancellation using an entirely separate button that's shaped and pushed differently.

I agree with what others have said: it makes more sense to have two buttons. Click the right or left button to turn right or left, then click that same button again to cancel. Simple. It doesn't even require moving one's thumb from one switch to another.
    This is exactly what the Kissan Signal Minder causes to happen. And as a bonus the cancel button works too.

Now as a further aside and much to my amusement since I thought the new signals were a step backwards, BMW has launched a recall of an unspecified number of K1300 motorcycles because - yes, because - the new switchgear is acting wonky and killing the engines while they are otherwise attempting to haul you down the fast lane.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40830

Progress isn't always is it.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

cneiditz

What is the proper way to cancel the right turn signal

Coming off a Honda VFR and riding my (new to me ) 2004 K1200GT, I seem to have a problem canceling the right turn signal. I put the signal on, initiate the turn, and as I roll on the throttle out of the turn it is quite difficult to use my thumb and cancel the signal. Often, I reach over with my left hand to do it. Should I try to be respectful to the other vehicles, and cancel the signal as soon as possible, or should I just let it "time out" and forget about it all together?? What does everyone else do?

You can cancel just prior to making the turn if you feel safe doing that, or as soon as the turn is completed.
    I used to do cycle license testing and the turn signal is used to signal intent, you don't NEED to signal all the way through the turn, as long as other drivers know you are turning. When testing I would allow up to 1/2 a block after the turn to get them shut off, although I would tell them, after the test, "get the signal shut off sooner after the turn". But if they shut it off just prior to starting the turn, that was OK too.

Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

fracture
    I have somewhat mixed feelings about this. I do not hate the three switch system but could live with it. The problem is the cancel feature. Right thumb cancels both left and right signal. Not intuitive, at least not for me. I am always wanting to use the horn to cancel the left signal.

I prefer one switch. Why are three switches necessary to do the job of one switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    the turn signal is used to signal intent
    Amazingly, few know that.

How many put their turn signals on and then let a slew of cars still pass them? Don't try that on the autobahn.

Quote Originally Posted by fracture View Post
    Why are three switches necessary to do the job of one switch?
    I was wondering the same thing about horsepower. My 60HP R100 GS does everything my 85 HP R1150 GS Adventure does....or that the newer ones do.

Button safety opinion

I have a R12GSA and the K13GT. I have thousands of miles on both of these bikes.

Can I acclimate to one button - yes. Do I like one button #$#@! no.

The one button system is significantly less safe than three. Why?

The one button switch is less than 1 sq. cm in size. You need to position your thumb precisely in the right spot to operate the signals. Your hand must be very stable to actuate it correctly.

The three button system - each button being about 3 cm by 1 cm - provides a large forgiving landing pad for your thumb. No thinking. You just swipe your thumb across the switch. I can be on the gas - the brake - the clutch - hand position is not critical.

Maybe when someone sues BMW for downgrading the safety of their bike they'll wake up. I'm a BMW fan because I thought they made the safest bikes on the road. They took a step backwards with this change.

Quote Originally Posted by rcryan View Post
    They took a step backwards with this (one button) change.
    You have to remember, some people can't walk and chew gum at the same time. We can be thankful they're not airline pilots.

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by selyab View Post
    ... And while I'm at it my K100 had a friction lock on the throttle that the '03 doesn't have. I am not sensing progress here.
    Turn signal switches are one thing- I have a strong suspicion that the friction lock went away due to other (product liability?) reasons.
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

Mudbug
    Old three button signal controls -
    New Japanese style signal controls -

In the beautful foothills of the Ozarks, Southeast Missouri.

Turn signals

Coming from the Japanese and Harley world, with 35 such bikes in the mix, Harley has the right idea for turn signals. With one button on each side and you push the same button to cancel or let it self cancel, it makes it so easy and intuitive. The Japanese bikes I always had problems with on the one button they had, especially right after I got off one of the Harleys. I can live with the 3 button on the BMW, it is just going to take some getting used to. But I too think it would have been so easy to copy Harley's lead with the two buttons. But, that is just my opinion and you know what they say about those...

Ron
    Ron Morris
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    2009 F650GS
    AMA, BMWMOA #153389, IBMWR and NRA

Hmmmmm, my second post & I hit this hot button topic! I'm brand new to the 3 button signals & so far, so good, I like them quite a bit, except, as many have said, canceling them. It is very easy to turn them on, but when I go to shut them off, I find myself looking for the button, or feeling around for it. I had the Japanese system down pat, this may take a few weeks... If I could just re-click a button to cancel, I'd be super happy with them!

John.