Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on three button signals?

Osm3um

Opinions on three button signals?

I have ridden a number of bikes over the years and always had troubles remembering to cancel my turn signals.

I recently picked up an 1150rt and have found that the three button BMW signal systems is FABULOUS. I rarely forget to cancel my signals. Not sure why but I love it.

I find it interesting that I have read that a lot of people don't like it. Anyone else like the system better than the single button?

Bob

MAYLETT
    I wish that I felt the same way. I've been riding a BMW since last January, and I still fumble around with the turn signal buttons and the way they're designed and positioned. I'm not sure if it's just my brain refusing to break a 30-year-old habit or less-than-good ergonomics, but I'd prefer a single button. All things considered though, it's a minor issue.

I'm disappointed that BMW has given in to the press on this issue. People who own a bike get used to its quirks and "character", whereas the press guys get on a bike for 2 or 3 days and then move on.

The three button system has a huge advantage over the left/cancel/right switch on the Japanese bikes, and it's one I don't often see mentioned:

If the traffic in front of you suddenly stops, you can IMMEDIATELY get your flashers running by punching both buttons with your thumbs and holding them. You can do this without moving your hands or being unable to use the brake and clutch levers.

On the R1200s, BMW made this official, but it works on the 1100s and 1150s. If you have trouble finding the horn vs. the cancel button, how long does it take you to hit the 4-ways, if your bike even has them?

For riding in urban traffic and on the freeways, this is a wonderful, fraction of a second, life saving feature.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

I have had the BMW 3 button signals on most of my bikes since 1986 - yes - 23 years - starting with my first K75. It took a ride around the block to figure it out and I much prefer it over the Japanese style signals that appeared on my F650.

I do like the shape and placement of the 3 buttons on my R1150 better than the buttons on the earlier 3 button controls.

I suspect that BMW had other reasons than just the press idiots to change controls - maybe some new European Union standard, or something to do with Canbus, or maybe a new supplier emerged. In any case - in my book it is a step backwards.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

BUBBAZANETTI
    miss them in the oilhead to airhead switch.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    I'm disappointed that BMW has given in to the press on this issue. People who own a bike get used to its quirks and "character", whereas the press guys get on a bike for 2 or 3 days and then move on.

The three button system has a huge advantage over the left/cancel/right switch on the Japanese bikes, and it's one I don't often see mentioned:

If the traffic in front of you suddenly stops, you can IMMEDIATELY get your flashers running by punching both buttons with your thumbs and holding them. You can do this without moving your hands or being unable to use the brake and clutch levers.

On the R1200s, BMW made this official, but it works on the 1100s and 1150s. If you have trouble finding the horn vs. the cancel button, how long does it take you to hit the 4-ways, if your bike even has them?

For riding in urban traffic and on the freeways, this is a wonderful, fraction of a second, life saving feature.
    Never liked them, and I owned the bike for a couple years.
    The good old fashioned left thumb switch for turnsignals works great; and on my Honda, I have instant simultaneous access to both my horn (left thumb) and hazards (right thumb) when I need them.

cheesewhiz
    I love the three button set up on my RT.
    I love the single button set up on my KLR.

The trick is being AWARE of ones controls

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Took me a few days to get used to my K1100RS turn signal switches. Now I would really miss it.

I'm with Paul- the new switchgear is a step backwards.
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

Rally Rat
    I like HD turn signals the best of any I have tried. My '99 GS does not have self cancelling turn signals which I prefer. I have tried the newer BMWs with self cancelling signals and find the HD version to be more real world friendly. That said I installed the Kissan Signal Minder on my GS and that brings it closer in function to the HD. Close but not quite but OK all in all. I prefer the HD or modified BMW to the UJM signals by far. Don't like the horn button positioning on the BMW particularly.
    Last edited by GSfornow; 10-10-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Kirbster919
    I love the 3 button setup.

Regardless of type of switch, I think placement is equally important. I recently test road a Buell (1125?) and while I was surprised with how it performed, I would NEVER buy it because of the turn signal placement. Extremely awkward, making it nearly impossible to use quickly.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

I suspect that BMW had other reasons than just the press idiots to change controls - maybe some new European Union standard, or something to do with Canbus, or maybe a new supplier emerged. In any case - in my book it is a step backwards.

The 3 button set up is great. I should remember not to listen to moto-journalists all that much. Well only when BMW's win their yearly awards for best in class awards.

I've found the use quite intuitive when needing to change lanes.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

JAMESDUNN
    The three button setup is okay, and I am used to it, but I prefer the up/down signal switch on my '78.

I had the three button system on my RT and it was great

I have the single button system on my GT and it is fine - quickly adapted.

The only thing I can say is better - and this pertains to me only - is that with the single button system I now longer give an angry left turn signal when I go for the horn.

2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

BUDDINGGEEZER
    I don't know what the big deal is about turn signals. I had a K100LT and it took me a day to get use to the turn signals. I did not even mind the horn button, but I did think it strange to raise my left thumb to honk it.

I now ride a Honda ST1100 and it took about a day to get used to the Honda turn signal.

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. It's not rocket science.

Ralph sims