Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The big renovation: 1908 home

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    .... and since we seem to be hovering around the bathroom at the moment, another thought: insulate all the bathroom walls, especially around drain pipes. We went to the extra work and expense to actually insulate all interior walls and ceilings for a bit of soundproofing throughout.... not only both bathrooms. It seems to work quite well and allows us to close off a couple of bedrooms in the Winter if we want (uh, no kids just occassional guests). Anyway, the point is the bathroom. Been in some new houses that actually amplify so many of the sounds resident to the bathroom facilities. - Bob (heading off to said room with newspaper and coffee)
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    .... and since we seem to be hovering around the bathroom at the moment, another thought: insulate all the bathroom walls, especially around drain pipes. We went to the extra work and expense to actually insulate all interior walls and ceilings for a bit of soundproofing throughout.... not only both bathrooms. It seems to work quite well and allows us to close off a couple of bedrooms in the Winter if we want (uh, no kids just occassional guests). Anyway, the point is the bathroom. Been in some new houses that actually amplify so many of the sounds resident to the bathroom facilities. - Bob (heading off to said room with newspaper and coffee)
    The wall between the bathroom and bedroom, as well as the wall between the laundry and dining room, are staggered stud walls. We will also be insulating as you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by From MARS View Post
    We used that pedestal dispenser in our bathroom....... until the cats figured out how much fun it was to paper the floor!

Tom
    That's why I said under in the over under thread.
    Little kids can't figure out when it's under, how to get it all spooled off.
    Cats might though.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Question

Scot

Are you going to have an eat in kitchen ?

Because a friend of mine had a similar layout and he switched the Dining Roon and Living Room areas. It cut down of traffic in the dining room and made it closer for them to run to the kitchen for food during TV breaks without going through the dining area.

What insulation works best in the Pac Wet ? Are there mold issues, condensation etc etc ?

What happened to your nice garden ?
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    Scot

Are you going to have an eat in kitchen ?

Because a friend of mine had a similar layout and he switched the Dining Roon and Living Room areas. It cut down of traffic in the dining room and made it closer for them to run to the kitchen for food during TV breaks without going through the dining area.

What insulation works best in the Pac Wet ? Are there mold issues, condensation etc etc ?

What happened to your nice garden ?
    We talked about flipping the two, but someone, not me, vetoed the idea outright. When you're eating dinner in a small house on a small city lot, the privacy of the room deeper in the house is all the more desirable.

Mold is an issue. The first trick is to use good old fashioned felt instead of one of the modern building wraps. With so much moisture in the air in the winter months, the aim is to let it out rather than try to keep it from ever getting in. Beyond that, all the usual insulation options apply. With our relatively mild climate, it's harder to get the return on investment from some of the more expensive options. I think we're going fiberglass and cellulose depending on the location.

The garden is partially buried in building materials.

The driveway side of the porch had subsided, more than an inch in some spots. This had caused the eves to droop even more. This has to be fixed, but doing so after the interior is drywalled is a bad idea. Even though the columns need to be rebuilt, we opted for the quick fix.

And then yet another big truck in our tight tiny fragile little driveway and shingles were on their way up.

They make quick work of it

Some the angles look a little wonky in the photos. Some is optical illusion. I *think* everything lines up ok. I'll see tomorrow.

All the framing on the interior is complete. This view stopped me. The new hallway...

The view from the front door...

Please keep the pictures coming, I am enjoying watching the developments as they happen.
    Martin.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Big project there. Please, definitely keep the pics and updates coming.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

Thanks, folks.

Yesterday's uh-oh...

To properly anchor the house, as per seismic requirements, a few pieces of the foundation need improvement. This chunk, a bit over 3 feet wide, will anchor the NE corner of the house. We're sistering up some other sections of the foundation.

Today's uh-oh...

We found thorns in the dirt in the crawlspace. Just another reminder of how far this neighborhood had fallen and since come back.

BUBBAZANETTI
    i don't usually hold found hypodermics in that manner, but then again, i don't usually pick them up either (tfm brow)

anyway, if you want an a/v system conceptualized, pre-wired and aesthetically pleasing in a vintage of your choice, lemme know. i'll do it for the cost of parts and a little time on the husky on the dirt roads in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    i don't usually hold found hypodermics in that manner, but then again, i don't usually pick them up either (tfm brow)
    These are well aged.

anyway, if you want an a/v system conceptualized, pre-wired and aesthetically pleasing in a vintage of your choice, lemme know. i'll do it for the cost of parts and a little time on the husky on the dirt roads in your area.

I doubt we can afford the cost of parts.

Are you saying you don't think we should get a $100 off brand home theater system from Costco?

I laugh too much.

But you can ride the Husky any time you'd like.

the saga continues

Found in another corner of the basement. It's official, it was a crack house.

A friend and I took it over to the local precinct. A cautious officer peered in, gave a us a knowing look and replied, "THAT is a LOT of crack!" The amount made us all doubt what it was and a quick test showed that most if not all of it was 'cut' - of which flavor, we won't know. If it had been crack, it would have been enough to pay for a chunk of the renovation. At their suggestion I dropped it into the nearest trash can.

Two weeks!
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    Two weeks!
    "two weeks"?

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by knary View Post
    "two weeks"?