Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What has happened to the XPLOR Forum???

MAYLETT
    I agree that the old XPLOR forum seemed cliquish. The posters there were, without exception, friendly and good, but they all seemed to know each other, which could make jumping into the discussions seem more like an intrusion into others' conversations. The BMWMOA forum seems too big for that — more like a big rally where people come and go instead of a private party. I suppose each type of forum has its place, and I'm sorry to see the XPLOR forum die.

I also agree that the XPLOR forum software is awkward to use, and it lacks the niceties of a well-developed, full-featured discussion board like phpBB or vBulletin (the software that runs the BMWMOA forum). Still, the XPLOR forum design and layout has an active feeling to it that, I think, is a bit more exciting and engaging than the BMWMOA forum which is, well, gray. I'm just not sure that a grayish, dullish, generic look fits the personality of most motorcycle riders. The color and excitement here depends almost exclusively upon the discussions taking place and the vibrancy of the community — this despite the stage itself being a bit bare.

Just one more thing: this forum seems well-tended by people who actually care, pay attention and participate. The XPLOR forum seems run from a distance by uninterested absentee landlords who arrogantly show up to nail new building rules on the door only when the police or the health department calls them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    One immediate issue with XPLOR (among others) was that I found the overall forum software cumbersome. I must rather this type of format.

To RoboRider, I appreciate your preference for a smaller group but the flipside of that was a clique-ish feel where it seemed that one was intruding in someone's private party.
    Hey Kevin, XPLOR absolutely was a clique, but not exclusive. There were 5, then 10, then 20...etc. We loved new posters joining in and always gave a welcome and "hope you stick around". But it is true we did, and do, meet up and socialize several times a year at various spots around the country. Looks like Arkansas will be next.

We now have a private forum, but even that is open to anyone who would wish to join. We have about 60 people now. We are a clique, but not a closed clique!

And yes, the software on XPLOR sucked, and continues to suck. Now of course the forum sucks, too, and I'm gone from it.

BMW had a good thing. Sure, we discussed "campfire" issues, and Ducatis, and Hondas, etc., but we were all BMW fanatics and pro BMW. Any new guy could join (you didn't need a VIN actually) and ask about BMW and if they should buy one. We were a mini marketing team.

I bought my BMW because I love the bike and it is a fabulous machine. I will keep the bikes, they can keep the "forum".

Finally, the one problem I see here is that people are less tolerant of diverse opinions. How many times has someone posted and then gotten responses that question his intelligence or are insulting in nature? It happens a lot. I like this place, it's the best currently out there, but people need to "chill" sometimes! If we all agreed, and all were the same, there would only need to be one bike manufacturer producing a single model for us all!

Robo
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

OUTBACKUFO
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post

And yes, the software on XPLOR sucked, and continues to suck. Now of course the forum sucks, too, and I'm gone from it.

Robo
    I did the same thing... cleaned out my galleries of images and left the XPLOR forum in the past... too bad... it was starting to shape up into something nice for a little while. Easy come Easy Go

I hope Xplor can rebound, they ought to plant tulips instead of trying to push up daisies.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    XPLOR WAS fantastic, much better than this forum. But now it is dead: completely worthless.

Robo
    I just popped in there again to browse over member photos and their galleries.

Have you seen what is marked as "Top Rated"? You really have to roll your eyes and wonder about some of the contributors...

A pic of "Burnt Rubber" on pavement.

A pic of a "BMW Burnout" on pavement a la Mad Max style.

Then there is one of a Logo in the "Most Viewed" section. Wow...

I can hardly handle the excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    My vision is Ok 20/20 OU, the page needs to be darkened a tad its almost as if you are driving into oncoming traffic at night. Yet if I go to my photo server its too dark, I run Windows XP. I have other lights on in the room so the PC lighting is not that concentrated. I was thinking about wearing glacier goggles for snow blindness with an application of a sun blocker. People ask if I was in Florida I have to tell them I was on the MOA forum too long.

Thanks

I've never heard someone complain about reading black text on a white background before.

I joined when it first started and now it can remember my email address, but can't allow me to Log in or let me rejoin. I think it's like a lot of BMW answers... running around looking for a question....that no one asked. Half thought out, half baked and a failure as this thread indicates.

I'm sure those who created it were all excited about what they would bring to the BMW bike community, but when it didn't attract a large enough group from the git-go some of the developers wandered off and the downhill roll started. I didn't get the first e-coupon or the followup one at all. Gee, guess I should have bought more bikes from them in the last two years (5).
    '14 R1200RT
    MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by knary View Post

I've never heard someone complain about reading black text on a white background before.
    Too much Adv Rider.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

OUTBACKUFO
    Just tried to see what was up over at bmwxplor and xplorgs and all i get is a Server Error 500... guess they finally pulled the plug.