Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any Suggestions for Handling an

Wow. Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone.
    Sharon
    '07 R1200RT (my favorite!); '12 Yamaha Super Tenere (El Gordo); '07 Suzuki DR650SE (!);
    '59 R 26 (my first)

Crutches

It sounds like he's going to spend some time on crutches. I've had 8 surgerys on my knee and spent a fair amount of time on crutches. After one week on the under the arm style I bought a set of these, http://www.walkeasy.com/shop/Categor...rearm+Crutches

They are much easier to use and won't kill the armpits.

Drop him off at the mall!
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

MT State of mind
    Good physical therapy makes all the difference as you progress through the different stages of hardware. Walking with crutches, even when you are allowed no weight-bearing on the injured leg, doesn't involve the armpits, if you are taught correctly. I know this, I've had to relearn to walk three times.

Once he is using crutches, get two things: a little kids sand bucket that swings easily and a robe or apron with large patch pockets. The bucket works as follows: load it with the soda, beer, sandwich, etc, then grasp the bail and the handlebar of the crutch together with the bucket hanging on the outside of the crutch. Now you can travel across the room carrying what you want, and if the beer already is opened, it swings a bit but stays pretty level and won't slop. The reason for the additional pockets is pretty obvious.

I killed a lot of time doing the at-home part of the physical therapy exercises: two or three hours in the morning and two or three in the evening.

Take him to the pediatric ward of your local hospital or to the Childrens hospital in the area and perhaps he would like to read some stories to the sick kids.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Great idea! It feels so good to help others. And kids always share their giggles and smiles!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Rally Rat
    Bullett,

How's that nurse thing going? Have you strangled him yet?

Did you use the bucket option? I'm thinking a good size fanny pack would work, too.

Anyway, hope the worst of it is over.

My husband is looking at hip replacement at the end of January or early Feb. We're looking at 3 months off of work for him. Our mission will be serious rehab to get him back on the bike in April. If all goes well, we'll be spending lots of time at the gym.
    Tina

Rally Rat
    Copilot,

That would be a miraculous recovery to have the surgery in late January and be riding in April. I hope that is the case. Major stuff. After your gym time you'll be in tip top shape.

I did 10 yrs of going to the gym 5 days a week. The ex had heart issues. I did my time and ran a half marathon to top off thoes years... Never wanted to run a marathon. That's just nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullett View Post
    Ambulatory challenged spouse???

My husband sustained a tib-fib fracture about 8 days ago on a dual sport ride in So. Utah. I'm going crazy trying to keep him occupied while I'm at work.

Does anyone have some suggestions for keeping a "non-weight bearing" middle aged child occupied?

I already beat him at Scrabble (only once, so far), he has a laptop to access the Internet and he just got a Kindle that he seems to really enjoy.

Tomorrow, I will entertain him with an auto ride to see his orthopedic surgeon, but I'm running out of ideas to keep him occupied. Do y'all have any ideas or suggestions?
    There are lots of wonderful suggestions here. I hope your husband heals up quickly so he can be back to riding in no time. The only thing I don't understand is he is an adult and I would think he is able to find things to do to keep himself occupied while you are at work and etc. to where you don't have to all the time.

I fractured both of my leg's and was off a year. I picked up a guitar. I am still practicing. I do not think I'll be famous but, it is a lot of fun.

Good Luck
    Pat Carol
    BMW Touring Club Detroit, Ambassador
    BMWMOAF, Past Director
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote.
    2013 National Rally First Aid Co-Chair

Well, I guess its time for a status update. He's 4 weeks and a few days from surgery and is doing pretty well. The leg has healed to the point that he can be on his crutches and not have it swell up in (it seems to me) about 5 seconds.

He's been reading a lot and spending some time on facebook and some riding internet boards.

He's finally sleeping all night, which means I get to sleep all night too!

He's felt well enough to go on two excursions to Costco this week.

And, the weather is supposed to be nice enough that I can escape on a ride this week-end!

Thanks for asking; and thanks for all the great suggestions.
    Sharon
    '07 R1200RT (my favorite!); '12 Yamaha Super Tenere (El Gordo); '07 Suzuki DR650SE (!);
    '59 R 26 (my first)

Rally Rat
    Bullett,

Happy to hear things are progressing well. Soon you'll be able to give him the shopping list and send him off to Costco all by himself.

On one of my solo excursions to Costco, I bought a new crock pot. We had our original one since we were students and it was a cheap one. He's been putting together some meals in the crock pot while I'm at work. I don't want to admit that was my hope when I got it, but . . .
    Sharon
    '59 R 26 (my first)

Rally Rat
    don't ya love when a plan comes together.....