Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Changing Spark Plugs?

JALAIMO146577

Changing Spark Plugs?

Doing some basic maintenance ork on my newly acquired R1100RS, I thought I'd change the spark plugs. Pulled the cover and ignition wires off and reached in with a 5/8" deep socket could not reach the plugs. Checked with my trusty Haynes manual and it says "Remove the old spark plugs as described in Section 2 and install new ones". Not a single mention of the procedure in Section 2.

It seems rediculous to me, but do I have to remove the rocker covers to do a simple spark plug replacement?

You need a thin wall deeeep socket. If you have the tool kit that came with the bike, it's in there.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

GOGREEN
    IF you are not using the spark plug tool that came in the tool kit, then your socket is probably too large in diameter and hanging up. Had the same problem with my 99 RT. Use the tool kit socket or find one that is skinny enough to go through the valve cover
    Good luck.

JALAIMO146577
    Thanks I was hoping it was absic routine service. 5/8" correct?

I found this worked well on my hex, should apply here

Extended Reach 5/8ÔÇØ Spark Plug Socket
    Reference www.harborfreight.com Item number 91705
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

JALAIMO146577
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post

It wasn't the reach, but didn't fit through the opening is this one slimmer in diameter?

Figaro1100R
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post

I bought one of these at Harbor Freight yesterday. Won't fit down the well on my oilhead.

jingdog
    Yeah you need a reduced diameter socket to clear the head. Which the tool kit has and might be your only option. Ive seen them ground or turned thinner.

Did you remove the valve cover? If not, the only tool that will work is the SP wrench from the tool kit because the rubber gasket on the SP tunnel will block a regular socket (unless it has been ground down).
    Once you remove the valve cover you should be able to reach it with a regular 5/8 socket.
    At least that's what works on my '00 1100RT and '04 1150RS.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

Rally Rat
    Snap On makes one that fits, but I don't recall the part number. I originally got the lead from the GSpot thread on ADVRIDER.COM. You may want to do a search over there.

Did a quick search--here's thread with number for Snap On socket in last post. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...nap+spark+plug

Did another quick search--here's one on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SNAP-...#ht_500wt_1182

Quote Originally Posted by PETDOC View Post
    Snap On makes one that fits, ....]
    I like SnapOn stuff also, BUT, paulmul is correct. It is the inner doughnut seal that blocks most sockets and every bike seems different probably because every doughnut seal squishes a bit more or a bit less. On some bikes the HF long reach socket works fine. Some people say it doesnt work. Same with Craftsman thin wall and even the SnapOn.

If you remove the valve cover first, pretty much any sparkplug socket will fit .
    '89 K75S Original Owner
    '94 (Beta) R11RS, ( RIP 12-5-2010 courtesy of blind left turning cage driver ) ....

I own lots of special tools, but when it comes to changing sparkplugs on my 99 rt, I use the wrench from the tool kit...

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by breyfogle View Post
    I like SnapOn stuff also, BUT, paulmul is correct. It is the inner doughnut seal that blocks most sockets and every bike seems different probably because every doughnut seal squishes a bit more or a bit less. On some bikes the HF long reach socket works fine. Some people say it doesnt work. Same with Craftsman thin wall and even the SnapOn.
    I own an '04 1150 GS so I can't speak specifically on what works in the 1100's; however, the SnapOn S9706KA socket will remove the primary and secondary plugs on my bike without first removing the rocker cover. There are several threads in ADVRIDER where people have gotten a spark plug socket jammed inside the valve cover (went in but won't come out or turn) of an 1150. Apparently the 1200's have a little more room and sockets that won't work in the 1150 will work in the 1200.
    If the S9706 works on an 1100 the Ebay one is currently at a good price, as mine new with shipping was about $32.

The one in my toolkit was FREE, and works perfectly well. (jsut had to buy an expensive but wonderful bike to get that free tool).

guys, unless you don't have the factory toolkit, you are waaaaay overthinking this one!
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    The one in my toolkit was FREE, and works perfectly well. (jsut had to buy an expensive but wonderful bike to get that free tool).

guys, unless you don't have the factory toolkit, you are waaaaay overthinking this one!

I learned the hard way that my mechanical skill does not include a torque-calibrated right hand. I envy those who can put a steel spark plug into an alumium head time after time and never strip the threads. I can not do it so a torque wrench is mandatory (for me).

It takes a fair bit of creativity to fit a 3/8" torque wrench to the stamped metal factory toolkit sparkplug wrench.
    '89 K75S Original Owner
    '94 (Beta) R11RS, ( RIP 12-5-2010 courtesy of blind left turning cage driver ) ....