Thread: Where do you stash your gear and bike??

Hybrid View

RTFlyer

Where do you stash your gear and bike??

My garage is a standard two-car garage as far as width. I'm not at home right now, but would estimate it at 20 feet wide, but 32 feet deep. My wife's company car is a Sentra, and I swear we could put two of them end-to-end in there. So...I have plenty of room towards the back to put the bike, but like many of you, I also have a wealth of tools, and other stuff to contend with.

I'm hoping to come up with something clever to store the bike in as small a place as possible, and also a place to hang/store my gear. I've got to store four jackets, three pants, a full suit, probably four helmets, boots, gloves, liners, etc...I wouldn't make kitchen cabinets, but I'm otherwise okay at woodworking so I can build most basic shelves or racks. I don't mind buying either, so long as whatever it is suits my needs.

I was hoping to get some ideas from others who have had the same issue. I'm thinking of a wall mounted rod for hanging things and few shelves for the other stuff. Of course I need room for the bike too...

My place is not the Garage Mahal, so there won't be any black/white checkerboard floors or anything like that. I'm just looking for a good compact solution for storage that keeps things handy and organized. If you've figured out a good way to store panniers, so much the better.

Pics would be outstanding!

Thanks guys!

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    If the floor is in good shape you can use one of these....

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5...Code=R1150RT-M

'02 R1150RT

For gear storage, I use an ikea wardrobe cabinet, which has hanging space and also a column of 4 or 5 "cubbies" on the right. It is deep enough that I can put two helmets in one cubby space. It also has a flat top, which is good for storing boxes (for example, I keep my other windscreen up there, a spare tire, etc.) I did have to replace the hanging rod with one more substantial, due to the weight of the gear.

I think this is the unit I have: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30034188

You can build something similar, even with open shelving.

Suggestions for the bike: Sounds like the garage is deep enough to store it in the back, just think about whether you want it convenient to an outlet for a trickle charger. My garage was wide enough that I put the bike in the front, between the two cars.
    Last edited by mvscorpio; 09-18-2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: add info
    Maria 2009 F650GS
    www.bmwbmw.org

Bike: In a private park-and-lock garage about 8 blocks west of my apartment.

Gear: We have a spare room. Jackets/suits hang in the closet. Helmets/Gear in a wardrobe/chest of drawers style thing.

My garage is used exclusively for the bikes. Cars sit outside. Gear hangs along the wall.

Even with a 3 car garage, I have taken a similar approach as Maria. Went to Home Depot and got a cabinet, assembled it. One half has a rod for hanging gear, the other side 4 cubes - one for me, one for the spouse, and 2 for the bike (tank bag, etc) top shelf for gloves and misc. Top of cabinet for other storage. Very happy with this solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    My garage is used exclusively for the bikes. Cars sit outside. Gear hangs along the wall.
    +1, but we have a 21 x 21 garage here.

We have a clothes rod for the gear with a shelf that hold three helmets and gloves.

There are four bikes in the garage these days, so no cars.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.