Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: A Room of Her Own

criminaldesign
    Quote Originally Posted by womanridge View Post
    Just finished "American Borders" by Carla King. She rode around the U.S. on a Ural w/side car. Fun read. She confirmed what Helen said: "Don't be afraid to ride alone. Just do it and use the same common sense you use every day of your life." Anyone else out there want to recommend a good book?
    I have to say there is a very liberated feeling traveling alone. It's all on you and do whatever you want. When I travel I really have no itinerary or schedule. Get there when I get there. A bit serene. Some days I may see how far I can travel, some days I may not go anywhere while on the road.

I've had to hang out at truckstops and restaurants for multiple hours taking care of work. That makes it a bit hard traveling with others at times.

At times it can be a bit lonely. seeing something cool is always nice to share with someone.

At times, I've had to stop total strangers to tell them of my excitement at seeing incredible sights!

Either that or explode!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Just catching up on this forum after being offline for 2 days for BMW MOA stuff. I missed you - and feel, now, like I am home.

As far as the earplugs and music thread - I always wear earplugs, and never listen to music. I long for the solitude if the bike, and I find myself "burning a lot of brush" as I ride.
    that is the most precise phrasing of the process that I have ever heard. thanks for that one. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Adventuress
    Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    At times, I've had to stop total strangers to tell them of my excitement at seeing incredible sights!

Either that or explode!

Voni
    sMiling
    Hi everybody, thank you for sharing the room you have created! Voni, love that quote!

My room has a ritual for entry... dawning of boots, over pants, jacket, gloves, helmet... It can take a bit to warm up and start to relax. Move the daily noise out of your head and be in the moment. But an hour or two later I feel like a new person. I lost that room for a while in my earlier years, but am so happy to have gotten it back.

Welcome Astir, and post often. Our room is meant to be comfy!
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

Rally Rat

Gifts of Old

I remember as a little girl of about 9, wanting so many things, dolls, cool things, things I knew I wouldn't get. Thinking it was that Christmas that I got nothing but clothes. (I'm sure, with 4 of us kids and me being the only girl, that is what was needed.) In particular, I remember to this day the deep purple, full box-pleated wool skirt and matching horizontal purple/white stripe sweater to match. My gawd, I was so happy when I outgrew that outfit! But then, I always peeked at my presents before having to open them on Xmas morn. Definitely took the sting out of the disappointment. You learn to deal.

What do you remember?

I remember my sisters and I always setting out cookies , milk and a coffee cup for Santa and his elves. Never failed that the cookies were always partially eaten, the milk was gone and the coffee cup was used. I wondered how they did that and still made it to everyone elses house.

Ahhh, the innocence of childhood
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT

HELEN
    Quote Originally Posted by sudani View Post
    I remember as a little girl of about 9, wanting so many things, dolls, cool things, things I knew I wouldn't get. Thinking it was that Christmas that I got nothing but clothes. (I'm sure, with 4 of us kids and me being the only girl, that is what was needed.) In particular, I remember to this day the deep purple, full box-pleated wool skirt and matching horizontal purple/white stripe sweater to match. My gawd, I was so happy when I outgrew that outfit! But then, I always peeked at my presents before having to open them on Xmas morn. Definitely took the sting out of the disappointment. You learn to deal.

What do you remember?
    I have almost the exact opposite memory... The one and only time I snooped into the presents...for some reason I usually did what I was told, go figure??... I found this beautiful sweater, It looked my size, had blue in it (*my* color)... I could hardly wait for Christmas!!

Imagine my disappointment when my sister opened HER present with MY sweater in it! Of course I couldn't mention it because I wasn't supposed to have looked. I have never sneaked a peak since!

Then there was the Christmas Eve that I had to sleep in the attic because we had so many house guests and was besieged by pirate ghosts all night!! whew... scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    I have almost the exact opposite memory... The one and only time I snooped into the presents...for some reason I usually did what I was told, go figure??... I found this beautiful sweater, It looked my size, had blue in it (*my* color)... I could hardly wait for Christmas!!

Imagine my disappointment when my sister opened HER present with MY sweater in it! Of course I couldn't mention it because I wasn't supposed to have looked. I have never sneaked a peak since!

Then there was the Christmas Eve that I had to sleep in the attic because we had so many house guests and was besieged by pirate ghosts all night!! whew... scary!
    Hey Helen, good to hear from you.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT

What do you remember?
    That is so funny, Sudani! It made me remember a certain hand-me-down when I was in 7th grade (or thereabouts). I never thought of us as being poor, but we certainly were on the lower edge of the income curve. Hand-me-downs were a part of life.

My older sister outgrew a winter coat that was passed onto me. It was bright magenta (the ugly pink) with loopy mohair or wool fabric. Oh-my-God, it was hideous.
    I refused to wear it.

That was the winter that I had only a lightweight cotton jacket to wear throughout the bitter Wisconsin winter. I can still remember how cold I was that year, waiting for the bus. But at least I looked good!
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

What do you remember?
    Eew - horizontal stripes.

I remember my brother getting into fights at school over whether or not there was a Santa Claus. He believed until he was 14. He would ask my mom every year if Santa existed and she would say, "Of course. There's no way I could ever afford to buy all this stuff." Note: we grew up with little money; however, every year there were tons of presents under the tree. I think a family member helped my mom with our presents - so yes, for us there was a Santa Claus.
    Last edited by BexBmr; 12-14-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Can't tell horizontal from vertical
    Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb

sawalt65

What do you remember?
    I remember wanting a horse...a REAL one. There was only one problem; at the time we lived in an apartment! I told my Mom I would keep it in my closet.

Years later, we actually moved to a farm and I was able to live out that wish. I quickly realized that there's a lot more to owning a horse than just admiring their beauty! Kind of like owning a bike. I love to ride, and do so all year round. I hate it when I have to leave it for more than a day for maintenance or, in next weeks' case, the installation of fork lights.

Thanks for keeping this forum going, Ladies! It's a pleasure to know there's so many of us out there!

-Steph
    2004 R1200CL

And thank you Sawalt65 as well, for keeping this forum alive. This is your room too. Stop by often.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT

Thank you-

To all those that helped make this room a success this year. Looking forward to a fun 2010 on the Women's Forum.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT

Rally Rat

Happy 2010

To all - have a happy new year. Let's keep our fingers crossed for 2010!

Can't wait for Spring to fire up my baby....

Best wishes for a fabulous year to you all,