Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: A Room of Her Own

VANZEN

earplugs

Hated wearing earplugs ÔÇô
    I have tried every over-the-counter type and material ever made !
    No exaggeration !
    Some were better than others, but one of two results was inevitable:
    the plug would ooze out of my ear just enough to make it ineffective,
    or it would remain in place and be painful !
    Turns out that my ear canals are quite narrow and take a sharp bend ÔÇô
    universal fit plugs just won't work for me.
    Years ago, I was fitted with a custom molded set ÔÇô and these problems were solved.

Silence is GOLDEN !

Nope, no audio for me while riding ...
    the distraction would only interrupt quality "meditation time".

Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    Ear issues got me away from music when I am riding. I had sudden hearing loss in my right ear, about 30%, and left me with insane ringing; at first wanted to rip the ear off my head with a constant distraction, but since getting fitted with internal inside the ear plugs, and simply getting used to it, my suffering has lessened.

The only place, however where I do get as close to silence as possible is on the bike with the earplugs in. .........

this thread is refreshing, to say the least. You women have some good words
    Same thing happened to me here, except loss my previously only good left ear is about 50 db (I presume yours is 30 db?)

It's really good karma to read how the other half enjoys M/Cs too.
    Retired w 2005 K1200LT, 2000 R1100RT, & 1975 R90/6

Just catching up on this forum after being offline for 2 days for BMW MOA stuff. I missed you - and feel, now, like I am home.

As far as the earplugs and music thread - I always wear earplugs, and never listen to music. I long for the solitude if the bike, and I find myself "burning a lot of brush" as I ride.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Almost home

Well, I logged on a couple days ago to find this forum......very nice! I'm almost back from my vacation time....17 days mostly solo on the bike, home less than 48 hours and then a car trip to help my newly unemployed SO move his stuff.

I've been riding about 4 years and am on my third bike. Two in the garage now, other sold.

I did the 3 Flags Classic this year from Mexicali to Lethbridge, Alberta and then went up to Lake Louise and Jasper National Parks, and came home the long way needing to bag a few northern CA National Parks for the California Parks Adventure. That took 17 days....my longest road trip.

What did I learn? Use paper maps to check Ms Garmin. After about 2 hours or 85 miles on a nicely paved road national forest road, the last 7 miles were dirt and gravel. There was no way I was turning back though. My RT with GSing! It did really well but has the same problem as my GS, it falls when it comes to a complete stop, the back wheel slid, and down we went. But then so did the ZX 14 that was with me that day. No injuries, lots of fun. A few more battle scars on the sidecase, so big deal.

I'll catch up with the forum when next weekend when I'm finally home. Great to meet you all!

I am finally home, after spending the summer on the bike. What a fantastic time, but it's great to be home!

Can't wait to hear about your adventures, Beemergirl! Love your sense of humor!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Speaking of books...................
    Well, Helen mentioned it.
    Anyway, does anyone remember the author that spoke at Voni's seminar at the National this past summer? I hoped to order her books, but don't even remember her name.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

Quote Originally Posted by womanridge View Post
    Speaking of books...................
    Well, Helen mentioned it.
    Anyway, does anyone remember the author that spoke at Voni's seminar at the National this past summer? I hoped to order her books, but don't even remember her name.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by k75karol View Post
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Thanks, Karol.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT

criminaldesign
    I find that I talk to myself quite abit if im not listenig to music while riding. Nothing crazy... It starts with my mind rambling on the random stuff that infiltrated my one of my senses, then I'll get a saying or a verse of a song stuck in my head which in return I start reciting them in different pitches and tones...

when i was a kid with a paper route, i had scenarios and roll playing to pass the time while throwing papers. I think it all stems from there.

I like to have the option of music if I'm in the mood while riding. I keep a little ipod shuffle in the jacket pocket.

I like this "room." It's comfy here.... my friends are here, and I can feel pretty confident that I won't be on the receiving end of someone's "rant".

Over the last several days, in another part of the forum, things have gotten a little ugly. I'm glad I can come back in here to breathe, relax with my friends, and remember why I volunteered to serve in this fine club.

And so - here is a big thanks to Karen, Steve, Irene, Voni, and anyone else who hung in there to make this "room" happen. It keeps me grounded.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    I like this "room." It's comfy here.... my friends are here, and I can feel pretty confident that I won't be on the receiving end of someone's "rant".

Over the last several days, in another part of the forum, things have gotten a little ugly. I'm glad I can come back in here to breathe, relax with my friends, and remember why I volunteered to serve in this fine club.

And so - here is a big thanks to Karen, Steve, Irene, Voni, and anyone else who hung in there to make this "room" happen. It keeps me grounded.
    You are very welcome. I'm glad we made this possible.
    And, I was just thinking the same thing this morning. Sure seems to be a lot of confrontation out there.
    Grab your slippers and "binkie" sip on some hot chocolate and grab a good book, maybe by one of the authors mentioned on another thread in the Women's forum.
    There's no place like home.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT

Quote Originally Posted by womanridge View Post
    You are very welcome. I'm glad we made this possible.
    And, I was just thinking the same thing this morning. Sure seems to be a lot of confrontation out there.
    Grab your slippers and "binkie" sip on some hot chocolate and grab a good book, maybe by one of the authors mentioned on another thread in the Women's forum.
    There's no place like home.
    Winter is upon us and people are gettin' crabby already. The Mod team is aware of it and watching.

Oh well, so much for the peaceful Summer...., hopefully folks remember we're all community here.
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT

Knock knock, Good morning Ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post

Sue, The rants are from just a few, remember there are 30,000 + moa members not ranting! Thanks to all the board who make this such a wonderful club.
    Martin.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Just finished "American Borders" by Carla King. She rode around the U.S. on a Ural w/side car. Fun read. She confirmed what Helen said: "Don't be afraid to ride alone. Just do it and use the same common sense you use every day of your life." Anyone else out there want to recommend a good book?
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT

Snip

Finally! After running into as many problems as a lawyer would attending a seminar on honesty, I am happy to say that the books are finally out, done, available and real. The official unveiling is taking place in Victoria BC at EvedarÔÇÖs Bistro on the 14th of November from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM.

Whoops! My fault! I guess I am too psych'd. The first book is called Two Wheels through winter" it is about my 2007 record breaking Cross Canada trip on my motorcycle from Victoria BC to Cape Spear Newfoundland from the 1st of January to the 19th. it sells for $28.79
    The second one is called "Iceman VS Labrador. This one is about riding from Victoria BC to Goose Bay Labrador in January of 2008. This is the trip where I rode the 2200 kms of ice roads and hit temperatures of -61C. it is the also $28.79
    Both books are about 300 pages and filled with 150 pictures in each. soft bound with color inserts as well.
    Paul Iceman Mondor

I just came across this.
    Martin.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.