Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A Room of Her Own

I wanted to post earlier today but no other guy had done so and i was afraid to be te first. Now that a few other have tested the waters i just have to ask....

What is the likeyhood that the dino vs. Synth oil debate will ever happen here?

2007 R1200 RT
    My other BMW is a Mini
    -99%er-

HELEN
    Quote Originally Posted by rspennachio View Post
    I wanted to post earlier today but no other guy had done so and i was afraid to be te first. Now that a few other have tested the waters i just have to ask....

What is the likeyhood that the dino vs. Synth oil debate will ever happen here?

Oh just keep watching... just keep watching...

3 Red Bricks
    Congratulations Ladies! Glad to see that this came to be.

I will pass the location of your "room" on to my wife. She'll probably look through the window for a while to see what's going on, but I'm sure eventually she will join in to seek advise, share experiences, and find that her riding needs and goals don't always have to coincide with mine to be correct (she knows this, but there IS strength in numbers).

Your room is a great and much needed addition to the MOA house.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Congratulations Ladies! Glad to see that this came to be.

I will pass the location of your "room" on to my wife. She'll probably look through the window for a while to see what's going on, but I'm sure eventually she will join in to seek advise, share experiences, and find that her riding needs and goals don't always have to coincide with mine to be correct (she knows this, but there IS strength in numbers).

Your room is a great and much needed addition to the MOA house.

Super. Tell her to stop in for coffee!! She's always welcome, and you are too.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

VANZEN

oil

Quote Originally Posted by rspennachio View Post
    ...What is the likeyhood that the dino vs. Synth oil debate will ever happen here?

Actually, I am one to prefer sesame oil, especially when cooking in a wok ...
    And a wok, by the way, is a simple, single, versatile, if not universally capable cooking tool
    that packs quite easily on a bike and can double as a plate or a bowl.
    When traveling and intending to 'cook out',
    a wok can be the sum total of my cooking / eating kit ÔÇô
    with a pair of chop-sticks, of course.
    A good solution when traveling solo & packing light !

Ear issues got me away from music when I am riding. I had sudden hearing loss in my right ear, about 30%, and left me with insane ringing; at first wanted to rip the ear off my head with a constant distraction, but since getting fitted with internal inside the ear plugs, and simply getting used to it, my suffering has lessened.

The only place, however where I do get as close to silence as possible is on the bike with the earplugs in. The tinnitus becomes nothing at all.

Music is gone while riding for now, and as Karol said, leaving me more room and a bigger attention span to fill it. Why I and others do what we do on motorcycles is a project I've been working on for quite some time. The end result? I have no clue, other than a quest for understanding. Maybe a screenplay? Naaaaa-not me!!!

I've talked alot about why we ride in other forum threads, and find many men, who are like me have somthing to say, and a few who are offended I ask. But very few women who talk about "inside their room" over in campfire, so this thread is refreshing, to say the least. You women have some good words here.

If you don't mind an english challanged, spellin deficit guy posting over here once an awhile, I might come back.

Quote Originally Posted by vanzen View Post
    Actually, I am one to prefer sesame oil, especially when cooking in a wok ...
    And a wok, by the way, is a simple, single, versatile, if not universally capable cooking tool
    that packs quite easily on a bike and can double as a plate or a bowl.
    When traveling and intending to 'cook out',
    a wok can be the sum total of my cooking / eating kit ÔÇô
    with a pair of chop-sticks, of course.
    A good solution when traveling solo & packing light !
    I'll have to try that! Simple, yet elegant!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post

I've talked alot about why we ride in other forum threads, and find many men, who are like me have somthing to say, and a few who are offended I ask. But very few women who talk about "inside their room" over in campfire, so this thread is refreshing, to say the least. You women have some good words here.

If you don't mind an english challanged, spellin deficit guy posting over here once an awhile, I might come back.
    Any one with a positive learning spin is welcome here!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Tricky ear problems. I deal with sinus/allergy related issues that just love to mess with my inner ear, especially in the Fall. Leaves me to take it day by day how much riding I can do during allergy season.

I hesitate to use my earplugs. I'm thinking that I need to wear them around the house for short periods just to get used to them. So far, haven't done that. Still don't like the idea of blocking out sound.
    Susan
    '03 F650CS "tink" (sold)
    ÔÇ£City girl who adapts well for short periods of time." J. Bainbridge (Idaho boy)
    "The highways of life are full of flat squirrels who couldn't make up their minds.." Unknown

Welcome iHop. I see you've been a member since 2008 and this was your first post. It's nice that you decided to join us.....keep posting!
    Last edited by sudani; 09-18-2009 at 11:02 PM.
    Susan
    '03 F650CS "tink" (sold)
    ÔÇ£City girl who adapts well for short periods of time." J. Bainbridge (Idaho boy)
    "The highways of life are full of flat squirrels who couldn't make up their minds.." Unknown

For those of you who like to ride with music, I highly recommend getting a custom pair of speaker earphones. They are very comfortable, and block out a good portion of the wind noise. As such, the volume can be much lower, which protects your hearing and the ability to hear other vehicles, etc. Given how well the earphones work, I'm able to keep the volume on my MP3 player on 1 or 2. To protect my hearing, I usually set the volume at a reasonable level before taking off. Occasionally, I have trouble hearing the music, but I'd rather have that scenario than to damage my hearing.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    Ear issues got me away from music when I am riding. I had sudden hearing loss in my right ear, about 30%, and left me with insane ringing; at first wanted to rip the ear off my head with a constant distraction, but since getting fitted with internal inside the ear plugs, and simply getting used to it, my suffering has lessened.

The only place, however where I do get as close to silence as possible is on the bike with the earplugs in. The tinnitus becomes nothing at all.

Music is gone while riding for now, and as Karol said, leaving me more room and a bigger attention span to fill it. Why I and others do what we do on motorcycles is a project I've been working on for quite some time. The end result? I have no clue, other than a quest for understanding. Maybe a screenplay? Naaaaa-not me!!!

I bought an I-pod last year thinking it would keep me company over the "Long-Miles". I've come to realize I like the silence. 500 mile days or 1,000 saddle-sore. Silence is my friend. Don't get me wrong, I love a variety of music, but 'in my helmet' is not the place for me to get lost in the sound. We are all different. Isn't that cool?
    Nice to meet you last weekend, Redclfco. Writng from Schenectady, NY (or something like that??)
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT

Quote Originally Posted by iHop View Post
    When I'm just riding around town, I usually do not wear earplugs. When I'm on a long trip, I wear the soft squishy type. They do not block out all the sound. They just make it more tolerable. I still hear train whistles, car horns, bike engine, sirens, they're just not as loud.

I also listen to music when I ride. I just started listening to music while riding this year. I was always hesitant to do so as I thought it would be a distraction. However, I find that if I keep the music low, so I can just hear it it makes for a pleasant ride. I can still hear what's going on around me, have some nice background noise, don't get bored. I can even ignore it if I want.

-June
    Welcome iHop! Nice to meet you. Stop by anytime. This is a nice place to get to know everyone!
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT

Quote Originally Posted by womanridge View Post
    I bought an I-pod last year thinking it would keep me company over the "Long-Miles". I've come to realize I like the silence. 500 mile days or 1,000 saddle-sore. Silence is my friend. Don't get me wrong, I love a variety of music, but 'in my helmet' is not the place for me to get lost in the sound. We are all different. Isn't that cool?
    Nice to meet you last weekend, Redclfco. Writng from Schenectady, NY (or something like that??)
    Same here. The I-pod interferes with the music in my mind which is accompanied by the background sounds of engine, wind, tires, etc. Usually the melody changes with the miles, but sometimes I get stuck on some tune to which I can only remember one verse, and it keeps "playing" over and over and over.....

Tom

PS: I like this kinder, gentler forum.
    "Everything is something."
    '88 K75C, '03 K12RS, '93 R100GSPD '02 F650GS (all gone, but not forgotten)
    '93 R100R
    http://frommars.smugmug.com/

Hi,
    For those who don't like earplugs or for those for whom earplugs are uncomfortable, there are many, many sizes, shapes and materials. Find a store which stocks safety items. They probably have more earplugs than you can count.

Helen, I'd love to sit down with you and listen to your many adventures. I have heard some, but I'm sure there are many more. But only if the Magic Cooler is close.

I no longer listen to music on the bike. I hit a deer with my K1100LT and none of my K75's has a radio. I'm too much of a Luddite to get an iPod or something like that. But when I had the K1100LT, I often listened to Classical music during long, boring rides. I can still remember Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries blaring through the headphones as I rode north on the toll road from Torreon heading toward Chihuahua!
    Ride Safe,
    Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
    '94 K75A/3
    '95 K75RTP