Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: F800rt

Question F800rt

Is there any legitimate reason to believe BMW will launch an RT version of the F800 series in the forseeable future?
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

When the F800 series was launched a few years ago, the head of BMW motorcycle ops outlined the entire F800 range. The S & ST were out at that point, he said the GS & R versions were on their way.

There's never been any mention of an RT, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

No.

As has been pointed out it has never been discussed as prat of BMW's plans for the F800. Riders and the press have wondered but the company has not had it in their public plans to date.

Would an F800RT ad customers? BMW thinks not. For all the interest in one BMW's analysis is the model would largely cannibalize its existing RT line up customers far more than it would create new ones. May be a desirable ride but it does not look like a way to make a living.

BMW has provided the platform in the F800 leaving the building of "RT" models to riders and the aftermarket.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Rats!
    Kevin Huddy

You can turn an ST into a decent tourer, though.

Photobucket

See here: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...ghlight=f800gt
    Dave

P Monk

Triumph scrambler

How do you like the scrambler?
    I must confess I really like the new Triumphs and the new ones are fuel injected.
    However If I could add a third to the stable the F650 for single touring is really tempting. So many times I pass a dirt road and wish I was able to see where it goes. I don't think anyone else makes a road bike that would be dirt road worthy in it's price and size range.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    Yup, I have your thread about your conversion of your ST to a GT bookmarked. We may go that way for my wife, but that new Honda is looking pretty good now.
    Kevin Huddy

Can't Grow It?? Mow it!! bullit7801's Avatar
    Lincoln, NE; Flat, Boring & Windy Great Plains
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    No.

As has been pointed out it has never been discussed as prat of BMW's plans for the F800. ....snip....

BMW has provided the platform in the F800 leaving the building of "RT" models to riders and the aftermarket.
    I have almost finished building my version of an F800RT. Last week I picked up a brand new 2007 F800S in Flame Red. Those here who know me know that I like to ride in a sport bike position with low bars. I have always had BMW RS models that I have equiped with all the luggage of an RT. My last ride was traded for the S and was a 2001 R1100RSA that had all the luggage including the RT top case. Here is what I have added to the stock 2007 F800S:

1. BMW center stand
    2. BMW ST rear fender (on order for next week install)

These are both already on the ST but need to be added to the S.

3. HID headlites, BOTH high and low beam. (no driving lites needed)
    4. C-Bailey's headlite protector
    5. ThrottleMeister
    6. V-Tech tall windscreen
    7. BMW engine spoiler, chin fairing (Not needed on ST but will protect the oil filter from stones)(to be installed tomorrow AM)
    8. Front Fenda Extender
    9. Engine Framesliders
    10. Givi racks, V35 side cases, bag liners, 30 liter top case
    11. Ilium fat foot (should arrive today)
    12. Valentine One radar detector in Legal Speeding box on RAM mount transfered from the old R1100RS
    13. Garmin 60CX GPS on Ram mount also transfered from old bike

Do all this and I get a good touring bike with the bars where I want them. No, BMW would never build this bike. It seems I am one of the few people on earth that want low bars on an RT type bike. I have to build my own. By the middle of next week, all the parts should be here and installed. Then I'll post some pictures.

If you are at the open house in St. Louis this weekend, the bike will be there, but without the rear fender and maybe the fat foot. 600 mile service was yesterday and I am now at 790 and counting.

tb
    Tom "Bullit" Buttars
    Ambassador
    1978 R100RS, 2006 F650GS, 2007 F800S

Quote Originally Posted by bullit7801 View Post
    I have almost finished building my version of an F800RT. Last week I picked up a brand new 2007 F800S in Flame Red. Those here who know me know that I like to ride in a sport bike position with low bars. I have always had BMW RS models that I have equipped with all the luggage of an RT. My last ride was traded for the S and was a 2001 R1100RSA that had all the luggage including the RT top case. Here is what I have added to the stock 2007 F800S:

1. BMW center stand
    2. BMW ST rear fender (on order for next week install)

These are both already on the ST but need to be added to the S.

3. HID headlites, BOTH high and low beam. (no driving lites needed)
    4. C-Bailey's headlite protector
    5. ThrottleMeister
    6. V-Tech tall windscreen
    7. BMW engine spoiler, chin fairing (Not needed on ST but will protect the oil filter from stones)(to be installed tomorrow AM)
    Will this affect engine cooling? Curiously I was chatting about this last weekend at the Dells.
    8. Front Fenda Extender
    9. Engine Framesliders
    10. Givi racks, V35 side cases, bag liners, 30 liter top case
    11. Ilium fat foot (should arrive today)
    You don't like the "needle" sidestand? I really need to get one of these myself before . . . .
    12. Valentine One radar detector in Legal Speeding box on RAM mount transferred from the old R1100RS
    13. Garmin 60CX GPS on Ram mount also transferred from old bike

Do all this and I get a good touring bike with the bars where I want them. No, BMW would never build this bike. It seems I am one of the few people on earth that want low bars on an RT type bike. I have to build my own. By the middle of next week, all the parts should be here and installed. Then I'll post some pictures.

If you are at the open house in St. Louis this weekend, the bike will be there, but without the rear fender and maybe the fat foot. 600 mile service was yesterday and I am now at 790 and counting.

tb
    Thanks for the report Tom. Some great mod ideas here but as someone once said "this post is worthless without pictures!"
    Last edited by wezul; 09-17-2009 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post

See here: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...ghlight=f800gt
    very nice

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    Thanks for the report Tom. Some great mod ideas here but as someone once said "this post is worthless without pictures!"

yes, pictures please

Quote Originally Posted by PMonk View Post
    I must confess I really like the new Triumphs and the new ones are fuel injected.
    When the Scrambler came out I went nuts for it but didn't buy one because the specs on paper aren't very impressive. It is way better in person than the spec sheet would indicate. Two years later I found a NOS '06 and haven't regretted it for a moment. Hate to say it, as much as I like the F800 if I could keep only one bike it would be the Scrambler.

Like it so much I just did a 6500 km trip around the Trans-Labrador highway on it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500979
    Dave

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by PMonk View Post
    However If I could add a third to the stable the F650 for single touring is really tempting. So many times I pass a dirt road and wish I was able to see where it goes. I don't think anyone else makes a road bike that would be dirt road worthy in it's price and size range.
    I had an 09 Bonneville SE as a loaner bike for three days this week. The build quality is very good. The engine is really smooth. If I had unlimited bike storage and an extra $8K, I would have Triumph right now. The scrambler might be in that dream garage too.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    The F800R is on the road in Europe. Have never heard of any mention of an RT.

wanderer
    I too am an advocate for a F800RT....but I like the more upright and not so folded up ergonomics of a sport bike...so I like the ero of the F650GS. I also like the 19 inch front wheel and fork angles. Better for rough and dirt roads.

Put the rear suspension and belt drive of the ST on the F650GS. Ad a areodynamicly designed BWM fairing to address rain and wind, put on lower exhaust pipe and mount hard bags low in the rear for good CG and lower bag/seat height like the ole R80RT/R100RT or K75.

perfect