Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 126

Thread: How many defunct BMW dealerships have you dealt with??

  1. #31
    John D'oh
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Close to Fort Worth Texas
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    I live within walking distance of this place, when it sold the BMW franchise the 2nd longest continuous BMW dealer in the USA (was gone).

    It has been replaced by the local BMW car dealer and I suspect 110% of all BMW riders in NM are ecstatic and less than 0% miss the old place.
    I know what you mean about Motorsport. I lived in Albuquerque 14 years 11 of which were as an owner of an airhead BMW motorcycle. I usually avoided that place like the plague. Glad to hear you-all have a dedicated dealer now. I might consider moving back :-)
    John D'oh

  2. #32
    Registered User PHMARVIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    933
    I live in El Paso, TX and have been here, on and off, since 1981. The Schwinn bicycle dealer added BMW bikes to his line in '82. He shut a few years later. Pecos, TX had a BMW dealer for a couple of years in the early-mid '80's. Deming Cycle in Deming, NM told BMW to take a hike in, I believe, 2005. They still sell Honda, Yamaha and Polaris 4-wheelers.

    For you who travel west, remember that after you leave San Antonio or Ft. Worth, your next dealer is around 1000 miles away, in Tucson, AZ. My closest dealer is in Albuquerque, NM - 275 miles away. I've ridden BMW bikes for 32 years - since I bought my first one, a '76 R90/6, in 1977. Will I buy a new one? I think not! I can work on an airhead and even on my K75's. But I don't have access to BMW's computer to find out what's wrong with a newer bike.
    Ride Safe,
    Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
    '94 K75A/3
    '95 K75RTP

  3. #33
    JAMESDUNN
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PHMarvin View Post
    I live in El Paso, TX and have been here, on and off, since 1981. The Schwinn bicycle dealer added BMW bikes to his line in '82. He shut a few years later. Pecos, TX had a BMW dealer for a couple of years in the early-mid '80's. Deming Cycle in Deming, NM told BMW to take a hike in, I believe, 2005. They still sell Honda, Yamaha and Polaris 4-wheelers.

    For you who travel west, remember that after you leave San Antonio or Ft. Worth, your next dealer is around 1000 miles away, in Tucson, AZ. My closest dealer is in Albuquerque, NM - 275 miles away. I've ridden BMW bikes for 32 years - since I bought my first one, a '76 R90/6, in 1977. Will I buy a new one? I think not! I can work on an airhead and even on my K75's. But I don't have access to BMW's computer to find out what's wrong with a newer bike.
    Apparently your closest dealer is in Santa Fe now. According to the above posts Albuquerque shut it's doors. Gone, but not lamented.

  4. #34
    07 R1200GS Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Killdeer, ND
    Posts
    1,153
    Midway Motorsports, on the strip between Bismarck and Mandan in ND. (I think they had a couple of different names over the years, this is the name I recall) I have no idea what year they quit selling BMW, but it's been quite a few years.

    It was a small volume BMW dealer who made their real money selling HD's and a couple Japanese brands.

    I bought my 1986 R80RT new from them. When I went in looking at BMW's, it was the only one sitting on the floor and I had to have it.

    You Montanans at least have a dealer, ND currently does not. I guess it's because we have less than 700,000 population. I don't see that changing anytime soon. So I'm thankful we have a dealership in Sturgis, SD. 235 miles away from my door, but it could be worse.

  5. #35
    Registered User PHMARVIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    933
    Hi, Jamesdunn,
    The former Albuquerque dealer no longer sells BMW. As Kent said, no one was unhappy when he gave up the BMW franchise. The new BMW dealer, Sandia BMW, is part of the car (BMW and Mini) dealership. They have a MUCH better reputation than the former dealer. I still wouldn't go there (because of the distance, not because I don't like them), but if I were closer or if I had an emergency while traveling and were near Albuquerque (or Santa Fe - same ownership), I would go to them for a repair.
    Ride Safe,
    Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
    '94 K75A/3
    '95 K75RTP

  6. #36
    67-year-old Teenager indygt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE Arkansas - Between Goobertown and Buck Snort
    Posts
    394
    Just off the top of my head... I know there are more:

    1. Cyclewerks in Indianapolis
    2. BMW Motorcycles of Indianapolis
    3. Revard BMW Motorcycles (Indianapolis)
    4. Grand Haven (Mich.) BMW
    5. Cincinnati BMW
    6. Paul's BUM W (Oklahoma)
    7. Lonnie's BMW (Linton, Ind.)
    8. Terre Haute BMW
    9. Crossroads BMW (Elkhart, Ind.)
    John M. Flora
    '03 K1200GT, '94 K75S
    MOA # 23538, RA # 16295, AMA Life Member
    Secret Squadron # SQ24418

  7. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    122
    In New Jersey, Amol, Slegers, Touch of Class.

    If you live in densely populated North Jersey, Woodcliff Lake say, its a long ride to a BMW MC dealer.

  8. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    26
    RK BMW Deptford, NJ and Touch of Class Cycles in Central Jersey were a real loss for Beemer riders in that State.

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    154
    Add to list Hy Mark motorsports in Pueblo, Colorado. Still in business but dropped BMW a few years back.

  10. #40
    JAMESDUNN
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 72598 View Post
    Add to list Hy Mark motorsports in Pueblo, Colorado. Still in business but dropped BMW a few years back.
    Isn't this place owned and a part of the BMW dealership in the Springs? It was at one time. They used to move bikes back and forth. I think the Colo. Springs dealer used to be Doc's. Then was bought out and became part of the enterprise you refer to?

  11. #41
    Registered User 184480's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    179
    Bought my first Beemer, a 1980 R100RT, at South Suburban BMW in South Chicago Heights, IL in April, 1983. Owned by Marty Potasky it was a great shop. The best thing about it it was a BMW MOTORCYCLE Shop. A real motorcycle shop not like the upscale yuppie places today that call themselves that. I miss the old shops with parts all over the place, posters on the wall, empty beer cans on the tool benches. Ahhhhhhh! Memories...
    Rode that bike for 19 years, never made me walk once...
    Former bikes, Ahhhhh who cares!!

  12. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Somers, NY
    Posts
    540

    let's see if i can remember them all

    Bought my first BMW, a K75S from Amol's in Dumont NJ - gone
    Bought my fist new BMW, a K11RS from a one-man shop about an hour north of there - gone
    Bought my wife's R1100R from Lidner's in CT - gone
    Dealt extensively with Heid's in the Adirondack mountains of NY - no longer a BMW dealer (but still great folk)
    Bought my last new BMW from Westchester BMW (owned by BMWNA) - gone

    so that makes 5..... I think that i prefer the HD way... small shops of folks that you get to know.... and who get to know your cycle.
    Somers, NY

    Just enjoying the ride.......

  13. #43
    Peter_Krynicki
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sdpc2 View Post
    Bought my first BMW, a K75S from Amol's in Dumont NJ - gone
    Bought my fist new BMW, a K11RS from a one-man shop about an hour north of there - gone
    Bought my wife's R1100R from Lidner's in CT - gone
    Dealt extensively with Heid's in the Adirondack mountains of NY - no longer a BMW dealer (but still great folk)
    Bought my last new BMW from Westchester BMW (owned by BMWNA) - gone

    so that makes 5..... I think that i prefer the HD way... small shops of folks that you get to know.... and who get to know your cycle.
    I like my bigger dealer with their brand-new showroom. They sell BMW, Ducati, Victory, and Triumph, and they have pretty much one of every type of those brands on the show-room floor. None of the smaller dealers I have used could afford to do this. And as big as they are, they know me and every one of my bikes.

  14. #44
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,784
    Quote Originally Posted by osceola View Post
    Bought my first Beemer, a 1980 R100RT, at South Suburban BMW in South Chicago Heights, IL in April, 1983. Owned by Marty Potasky it was a great shop. The best thing about it it was a BMW MOTORCYCLE Shop. A real motorcycle shop not like the upscale yuppie places today that call themselves that. I miss the old shops with parts all over the place, posters on the wall, empty beer cans on the tool benches. Ahhhhhhh! Memories...
    Rode that bike for 19 years, never made me walk once...
    You should complete the sentence as follows: I miss the old shops ... that never made any money nor sold any bikes.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  15. #45
    Registered User 184480's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    You should complete the sentence as follows: I miss the old shops ... that never made any money nor sold any bikes.
    Hmmmm, so until until this modern era of auto dealer like bike retailers NO bikes we're sold? No one ever made any money??? I'll complete my sentences and you can complete your own.
    Former bikes, Ahhhhh who cares!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •