Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Which GS?

Quote Originally Posted by From MARS View Post
    My two cents.

If you live *miles* away from a dealer, like I do, buy the airhead. Chances are, you'll be able to keep her running and save the expense of mechanic's time. I am very comfortable with going out into the middle of nowhere on the PD now that I've had the transmission rebuilt, the drive shaft reworked, replaced the cables, cleaned all the electrical contacts, tuned the engine, put in a new battery, replaced the alternator rotor, ...... you get the idea. Most everything on an airhead will give you some warning of an impending failure; electronics, on the other hand, just quit.

As the bikes continue to age, the electronics of the oilhead will become more of an issue and its value will continue to go down while the airhead will hold it's value if properly maintained.

One added plus for the airhead: In case of nuclear attack, the airhead will still run.

Tom
    Can anyone recall the FI failing on an oilhead?
    I can't think of any cases that didn't involve someone applying large amounts of current to the frame.
    scott conary - BMW... err...umm... bikes are dangerous
    portland, oregon
    www.scottconary.com | new paintings

Hmmmm?

I own a '78R100/7, since new and my current GSA1200'07. I can still ride my 355000 mile R100 anywhere on the planet, with all those miles and I've done so little to this engine. Its all original, valves too. 400w alt, i did put in a few years ago and a VW clutch plate way back when. My new GSA will not likely ever make that A+ grade in my book, however I love the new GSA and find it fascinating and its been good to 43000 so far, with a fuel problem(ethanol) eating the components in the tank. I find the GSA more comfy (all day rides)nowadays, as it gives me more leg stand up room. Its just to me, an older Airhead owner, I find it hard to believe BMW will ever equal their past machines longevity. They WERE Legends! Randy

Thanks for the great responses to date. Now a question on the first model year hexhead. What issues are showing up on the early (2005)1200 GSs?
    Thanks
    Jeff