Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Virginia Super Twisties Revisited

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwichtendahl View Post
    While I was on the 4 state loop during the Rally this summer, I stopped for gas somewhere near Yukon. It was about to rain and the friendly locals said to be careful on route 16. He saw recent accidents even with 4 wheeled vehicles due to coal trucks dropping fluids and debris. He gave me an alternate route which i believe (not sure) it was rt 624 and 627 which has less truck traffic and cleaner surface. This might be a better route if the weather is foul. I'm glad I took the advice as the rain poured down! It was still a nice route.
    You don't want to miss Rt 16 between Tazewell and Marion Virginia. Coal trucks do not use the road at all and the only trucks on the road is an occasional farm truck or smaller 6 wheel truck. Over many years, I have never had a problem with coal trucks on Rt 16. The road is far to crooked for large trucks and they are banned. A truck occasionally ignores the signs and attempts to make the mountains. They never make it and end up getting towed and a big fine.

Ken
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by TexanRT View Post
    Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my question and demonstrate a great resource! I was able to follow Waterville to Mt. Sterling Road to 1397 and onto 32. Amazing stuff.
    that is impossible.

thinking that TN32 exists is a commonly made error. it is actually just a line on the map that defines the border of the smokey mountain national park.

ted, google is mistaken.

texanRT, you were not on that road.

nothing to see here... move along... move along.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    that is impossible.

thinking that TN32 exists is a commonly made error. it is actually just a line on the map that defines the border of the smokey mountain national park.

ted, google is mistaken.

texanRT, you were not on that road.

nothing to see here... move along... move along.

ian
    I know nothing. I haven't been anywhere.
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide