Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Virginia Super Twisties Revisited

Question Virginia Super Twisties Revisited

Looking at the VA_SuperTwisties_1 ride file -- I have a question about routing between Charleston, WV and Marion, VA -- an area north of the super twisties ride.

I'd like to leave Charleston, WV via 94 and pick up hwy 3 down to Beckley where I'll intersect with HWY 16 and ride it south to Marion, VA. Can anybody tell me what road conditions we'll encounter along that route? Thanks.
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

Great roads, I was on 3 and 16 a few weeks ago and aside from some repaving at the top of the mountain south of Tazewell it was in good shape - the entire length is covered by Google Streetview, click "View Larger Map" at the bottom of the map below to open GoogleMaps, then the yellow guy is in the top left corner of the map window - drag him to any road highlighted in blue for a 360-degree look from the street level.:

View Larger Map
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Great roads, I was on 3 and 16 a few weeks ago and aside from some repaving at the top of the mountain south of Tazewell it was in good shape - the entire length is covered by Google Streetview, click "View Larger Map" at the bottom of the map below to open GoogleMaps, then the yellow guy is in the top left corner of the map window - drag him to any road highlighted in blue for a 360-degree look from the street level.:
    +1 Thanks for that assist.
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Pavement on 16 is good, but watch for stones in the right-handers. That said, great ride.

Question Smoky Mtn Park: I-40 to Hwy 32 via Tobes Creek Road

Can I get from I-40 to Hwy 32 via Tobes Creek Road? My GPS program shows this road as a broken line -- are parts of this road unpaved?

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=35....tlinburg,%20tn
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA

Odd road combo - the maps show Tobes Creek Road both hooking around in a short spur to the left to Waterville road, all paved, and also going straight over to Rt. 32 looking unpaved.

View Larger Map

Looks like Waterville Rd. is nicely paved though with nice scenery, and looks like it will take you down to 32 just a few minutes out of your way.

View Larger Map
    Ted
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Odd road combo - the maps show Tobes Creek Road both hooking around in a short spur to the left to Waterville road, all paved, and also going straight over to Rt. 32 looking unpaved.

View Larger Map

Looks like Waterville Rd. is nicely paved though with nice scenery, and looks like it will take you down to 32 just a few minutes out of your way.

View Larger Map
    Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my question and demonstrate a great resource! I was able to follow Waterville to Mt. Sterling Road to 1397 and onto 32. Amazing stuff.
    Last edited by TexanRT; 09-10-2009 at 01:17 PM.
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Pavement on 16 is good, but watch for stones in the right-handers. That said, great ride.
    Why am I not surprised that you've already been there! Thanks.
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    I live about 5 miles from the best part of Rt 16 near Marion. I've ridden Rt 16 frequently for many years. The road is good but you really have to watch for gravel and rocks. We have had many hard rains this summer and it causes gravel to wash across the road and it loosens rocks on the banks above the road and they frequently fall. Also, watch out for deer as you round the curves.

Ken
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

We have had many hard rains this summer and it causes gravel to wash across the road and it loosens rocks on the banks above the road and they frequently fall. Also, watch out for deer as you round the curves.
    Excellent advice for most twisty 2-lane roads in southern WV - also be mindful of coal and logging trucks, they often take up much of the road and seem to universally adopt the "I am bigger, you move" mindset.
    Ted
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Quote Originally Posted by TexanRT View Post
    Can I get from I-40 to Hwy 32 via Tobes Creek Road? My GPS program shows this road as a broken line -- are parts of this road unpaved?

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=35....tlinburg,%20tn

First TN 32 does not exist it is a figment of everyone's imagination, so don't spread rumors and tell anyone.

That said Tobes creek road is a one lane or better described as a two wheel track cow path, with some steep sections, but is navigable. Don't think I would recommend it on an RT, unless you are very comfortable in dirt.

Waterville Rd is paved, but pavement ends where it intersects Mountain Sterling Rd (NC 1397), It is narrow in spots and has some steeps and a couple of hairpins, but is easily navigable.

But why go to a non-existent road????

LoL - looks like the Rt. 32 pavement literally ends at the TN/NC state line! As pffog mentioned it looks to be a hard-pack dirt road over the 1.1 miles from Waterville road to 32 - looks pretty nicely tended though!
    Ted
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

LoL - looks like the Rt. 32 pavement literally ends at the TN/NC state line! As pffog mentioned it looks to be a hard-pack dirt road over the 1.1 miles from Waterville road to 32 - looks pretty nicely tended though!

Yup talked to a local and they pull several bikes and cars out of the rocks and trees every year. .

You crest a slight rise and see a bunch of large boulders indicating the road curving to the left, but as you get close and pop over the rise you realize that bend is DIRT!!! NO pavement end sign, no warning what so ever.

Luckily for me I ran it from Waterville end the first few times so I knew. If such a road existed that is................
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lost in NJ

Local Advice

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I live about 5 miles from the best part of Rt 16 near Marion. I've ridden Rt 16 frequently for many years. The road is good but you really have to watch for gravel and rocks. We have had many hard rains this summer and it causes gravel to wash across the road and it loosens rocks on the banks above the road and they frequently fall. Also, watch out for deer as you round the curves.

Ken
    While I was on the 4 state loop during the Rally this summer, I stopped for gas somewhere near Yukon. It was about to rain and the friendly locals said to be careful on route 16. He saw recent accidents even with 4 wheeled vehicles due to coal trucks dropping fluids and debris. He gave me an alternate route which i believe (not sure) it was rt 624 and 627 which has less truck traffic and cleaner surface. This might be a better route if the weather is foul. I'm glad I took the advice as the rain poured down! It was still a nice route.

Quote Originally Posted by rwichtendahl View Post
    While I was on the 4 state loop during the Rally this summer, I stopped for gas somewhere near Yukon. It was about to rain and the friendly locals said to be careful on route 16. He saw recent accidents even with 4 wheeled vehicles due to coal trucks dropping fluids and debris. He gave me an alternate route which i believe (not sure) it was rt 624 and 627 which has less truck traffic and cleaner surface. This might be a better route if the weather is foul. I'm glad I took the advice as the rain poured down! It was still a nice route.
    All the advice is noted and appreciated -- I've got a couple of alternate routes in mind in case 16 doesn't work out -- and I certainly won't be telling anyone about any non-existent roads I find. Where's the smilie for "shhhhh"?
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA