Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions wanted for NC trip

01RedRider

Exclamation Warning! Will Robinson!!!

If you are going to be in Asheville during the fall colors season and on a weekend don't make the mistake my wife and I made, don't think you can just show up and find a room. We looked from 5:30 till 1:00am and ended up sleeping in the front seat of a Toyota in the parking lot of a hotel. When I ask what is going on in town this weekend and why there are no rooms available I was told "The Fall Colors" so please make reservations for your stay in Asheville as it is hard for two to sleep on a BMW.

A bit more that I remembered on my ride into work today.
    FYI just for some general ride reports, here are two I did this past winter and spring in the area. The comment and picture about NC281 and it being a gravel nc highway, that part has been paved this summer and that should make it a wonderful road to travel from US 64 to NC 107!!!

Winter ride
    http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=21351

spring ride
    http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18066

you might also want to include a ride up to Mt Mitchell.

A good thought about the crowds and room stuff that redrider made. The peak colors will be happening early october in highest elevations 5000 ft plus , mid october in lower mountain areas 2000-4000 and late october early november piedmont area. If you were wanting a room at a smaller choice place you may very well need reservations. For sure on weekend nights. You might also want to consider the pisgah inn on the blue ridge parkway.

Oh yeah.. so much to remember.... if plants be your thing, check out the NC Arboretum, just south of Asheville and the cradle of forestry near Brevard on 276

Keep us in mind with a good ride report.
    NCS

Guys - I appreciate the postings & references etc and want you to know I'm still digesting & planning from them. Motel reservations will be made for sure on weekends (that need was a surprise so thanks!) & we'll be watching for deer etc. The eating and motelling & sights are now being put on our maps to see what we can put together.
    Retired w 2005 K1200LT, 2000 R1100RT, & 1975 R90/6

Quote Originally Posted by nrpetersen View Post
    Guys - I appreciate the postings & references etc and want you to know I'm still digesting & planning from them. Motel reservations will be made for sure on weekends (that need was a surprise so thanks!) & we'll be watching for deer etc. The eating and motelling & sights are now being put on our maps to see what we can put together.
    There is so much to do, so much to see, and so many place to ride -- don't get overwhelmed by the choices -- just go back again and again. Have a great trip!
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

Full Moon,

If the nights are clear, an easy late night ride up on the parkway is wonderful under a full moon. which is 10/4. So any nights after about 10/1 would be awesome. Go late enough the moon is high, traffic mostly gone.

NCS

Quote Originally Posted by NCStephen View Post
    Full Moon,

If the nights are clear, an easy late night ride up on the parkway is wonderful under a full moon. which is 10/4. So any nights after about 10/1 would be awesome. Go late enough the moon is high, traffic mostly gone.

NCS
    +1 I'll take that advice, too
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA

The wife and I enjoy this place. You can spend the night or just do breakfast, lunch or dinner. You can park your bike right in front of door. It is right at the border of NC/GA. You can walk to your room from the resturant. Enjoy the bottle of wine, make a great evening.

http://www.dillardhouse.com/
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black
    Contact me 4 (1&1) training, Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction

Good web site for maps, road and weather information..........

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black
    Contact me 4 (1&1) training, Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction

Nc12

The Outer Banks is far from the Smokies, but a really nice ride, once there. I just did it last month after the rallies and found the NC12 highway really nice. I did all of N.C. and found it a wonderful ride all over. A visit to N.C without the Outer Banks is a comeback future trip. I recommend it, all the way from CA..Randy

Yup.... the outer banks is a ways from SW NC. From Tellico Plains TN out to Cape Hatteras is as far as from Tellico Plains to Madison WI. NC from those two corners is a very long state.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    The Outer Banks is far from the Smokies, but a really nice ride, once there. I just did it last month after the rallies and found the NC12 highway really nice. I did all of N.C. and found it a wonderful ride all over. A visit to N.C without the Outer Banks is a comeback future trip. I recommend it, all the way from CA..Randy
    We've driven the outer banks using the North Carolina ferry system and I definitely plan to return some day and do that again by motorcycle.
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA

OK here's my brief trip report and a thanks to all of you that made suggestions for our itinerary.

My wife and I did 3100 miles two up on our 2005 K1200LT from Minnesota to North Carolina and return.

We stayed three days at the Chalet Inn at Dillsboro NC on the recommendation above. This was an absolutely wonderful tip. That B&B was the only facility we saw in NC that had the posted state issued cleanliness rating of a full 100%. She is Dutch and he is ex-military and both are very people oriented. I highly recommend this place to anyone. The rides they suggested were outstanding and the weather was also incredible with blue skies and 60 degree temps every day. They recommended NOT doing Deal's Gap (there are too many crazies there) but instead suggested other routes that had little or no traffic and were just as much fun. A local friend did Deals gap a week earlier and saw no less than 4 accidents involving bikes (Yikes!) Of course we did the Cherehala (sp) drive and The Blue Ridge drive too.

We then went to Asheville for three days seeing the Biltmore estate. Yes it is incredible, and expensive ($60 per person admission to see the house) in the eyes of this tight wad but it was completely worth it to see how the super-wealthy could apply their inheritances etc. Definitely a don't miss item if you are in the area. The bar/restaurant scene in Asheville is excellent. One really fun place we ate at was a converted gas station called The U Joint.

We also visited Black Mountain, and an aircraft museum in Hendersonville NC before heading home to MN. We hit the only light rain then from about Janesville WI to Madison.

The bike performed flawlessly and got many comments at our stops. Fuel economy averaged about 55 mpg - more in the twisties etc!.

This trip was my wife's idea. I'll have to listen to her more often....! Unfortunately she doesn't take pictures so as much as I can post are pix of gas stations and motels and restaurants.

Thanks everyone!
    Retired w 2005 K1200LT, 2000 R1100RT, & 1975 R90/6

Excellent. I'm going to make note of the Chalet Inn. Dillsboro is such a nice place with great riding in any direction. Glad to hear you enjoyed such a successful trip.
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA

Great to hear it worked out soooo well for you. If she suggest trips like this I wouldn't complain she doesn't take pictures.

NCS

Quote Originally Posted by NCStephen View Post
    Full Moon,

NCS
    I once made the mistake of riding the BRP at night when I was heading to the Sherando Rally and I learned a good lesson about the Parkway. You see, there are no trucks or other commercial traffic on the BRP, so when the sun goes down and the tourists go to their motel rooms, the critters come out and warm themselves on the nice, quiet pavement. It is really frightening to come around a dark turn and see about 300 eyeballs in your headlights! I saw animals of all sizes on and beside the road and they did not want to get out of your way! Of course, if you are riding alone and do hit an animal at night, there will be nobody to pick you up and call the ambulance!

I love running the Parkway and all the other wonderful roads up in our mountains, but I have learned that it is wise to do your riding during the daylight hours and spend the evening hours safely off the road and enjoying some nighttime libations.
    Onward, through the fog!