Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions wanted for NC trip

Suggestions wanted for NC trip

We're from Minnesota riding two up on a 2005 K1200LT - motelling and/or B&B it. Our tentative goal is Asheville NC (Biltmore) via Great Smokies, Tail of the Dragon etc. Interests are country music, local informal non-chain restaurants, Seagrove for pottery, architecture, old technology such as old engines airplanes etc. We'll be near Asheville week of 29 Sep - Oct 6th. We don't think there will be enough time for eastern NC.

We've never been there - any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Retired w 2005 K1200LT, 2000 R1100RT, & 1975 R90/6

Chalet Inn

If you are down near the Dragon for an overnight, I highly recommend the Chalet Inn. It is located in Dillsboro, about 25 miles from the Dragon. The innkeepers, George and Hanneka are great people. The inn sits on top of a mountain and it was refreshing to wake up to the sounds of nature, rather than the sounds of road noise.

As for Ashville, as I recall, you can be there in about an hour. The Biltmore is fascinating so be sure to plan at least an entire day there, if not two.

Route 40 East

When I returned to the coast after the Rally I took Route 40 toward Winston Salem. For about 10 miles out of Ashville I enjoyed the sweeping turns and light traffic. I was not the fastest vehicle but speeds were in the 80's. It was all downhill, also.
    A great finish to the Rally.
    Campbell Tellman II'
    '93 R100RT

RSPENNACHIO
    The Ridgewood BBQ!!! It is legendary!! Many riders who attended the big Rally will agree.

(423) 538-7543
    900 Elizabethton Hwy
    Bluff City, TN
    Hours: Monday-Thursday 11:00-7:30 Friday & Saturday 11:00-2:30 & 4:30-8:30 Closed Sunday

The pork BBQ plate is the specialty and so are the baked beans. Two people could easily share this.

Maybe this would fit in on your way in or out???

When you complete the Dragon run and end up at the NC endpoint (where the store and gas station are), continue up Hwy 28 north towards Fontana Dam. This is a spectacular road. In the early moring, mists of cloud hover over the glass smooth river which perfectly reflects the view of the hills and trees like a mirror. Stop at the Fontana Dam visitor center and look at the dam. It will take about an hour to look at the dam and the visitor center, and it is well worth the stop.

Regards,
    Robo
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    Chalet Inn

If you are down near the Dragon for an overnight, I highly recommend the Chalet Inn. It is located in Dillsboro, about 25 miles from the Dragon. The innkeepers, George and Hanneka are great people. The inn sits on top of a mountain and it was refreshing to wake up to the sounds of nature, rather than the sounds of road noise.

As for Ashville, as I recall, you can be there in about an hour. The Biltmore is fascinating so be sure to plan at least an entire day there, if not two.
    And if you're going to be in Dillsboro -- stop by the Dillsboro Chocolate Factory -- they make a great cup of coffee and have some great confections too.

Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

Geez! What a bonanza of ideas! They will be pursued THX!
    Retired w 2005 K1200LT, 2000 R1100RT, & 1975 R90/6

Quote Originally Posted by nrpetersen View Post
    Geez! What a bonanza of ideas! They will be pursued THX!
    I have more.... ....somebody suggested that I chuck it all and move to NC and work for the tourist bureau.
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA

RSPENNACHIO
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    When you complete the Dragon run and end up at the NC endpoint (where the store and gas station are), continue up Hwy 28 north towards Fontana Dam. This is a spectacular road. In the early moring, mists of cloud hover over the glass smooth river which perfectly reflects the view of the hills and trees like a mirror. Stop at the Fontana Dam visitor center and look at the dam. It will take about an hour to look at the dam and the visitor center, and it is well worth the stop.

Regards,
    Robo
    Yeah this is true! What I enjoyed most was variation in air temprature. It's hot, it's hot, it's hot then you ago around a bend and it is 10 degrees cooler. Another turn and it's hot again.

FYI, there is no cell phone coverage on the dragon. But if you are on your way to the dam there is one place if you have Verizon. It is just inside the park. On the right side of the road is an overlook that has a cement stone wall. You can get a signal there but you have to stand on the wall with one leg in the air and your free hand waving wildly while your passenger takes a picture.

Ok, that last part may not be totally true but it couldn't hurt...

Rideoften

Seafood

Try the Salty Dog in Maggie Valley for some really great seafood.

MB

And don't forget the Cherohala Skyway! Every bit as beautiful as the BRP with much less traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    And don't forget the Cherohala Skyway! Every bit as beautiful as the BRP with much less traffic.
    Cherohala Skyway, Foothills Parkway, the Dragon, and HWY 28 makes for an excellent day of riding.

And there's 441 between Cherokee, NC and Gatlinburg, TN running through the Smoky Mtn National Park.
    Last edited by TexanRT; 09-01-2009 at 02:53 PM.
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA

Although not in NC, coming from where you are, you should pass through either (or both) the Daniel Boone or Jefferson National Forest. I had a great ride there coming back from the Indy GP races. I can give you my route if you are interested and you can see some pics at:

http://www.bmwxplor.com/forums/topic/show/4286#new

I took some dirt roads that you won't want to do 2 up on an LT, but they were side roads, not part of the actual route.

Let me know.

Robo
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Douglas Williams
    http://www.threshers.com/farmpark/seotr_calendar.html

The FarmPark Bluegrass Festival is a lot of fun and may fit your dates. Denton is East of Charlotte and not to far from Seagrove, NC. There may be some antique tractors on site when you go, but that gathering is in July.

http://www.discoverseagrove.com/pottery-events.asp

I noticed a kiln opening in early October. That's a treat if you can make it. Watch out for deer. I've lost two cars to deer impacts in the last year. Have a great trip.
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Sounds like a great trip.
    A few thoughts, thinking kinda outloud to check out for your trip planning

Penland School north of Asheville
    Biltmore House in Asheville,
    And then also look at Mountain heritage folk art. do a search on that with Asheville also in the search

If staying, Might consider the Balsam Inn just south of Waynesville. From that point there are days and days of riding adventures possible. Not far away you might pick a cabin from Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campgroud. The rates are great but it is camping but with a wooden roof. They have breakfast and supper on the grounds but there is a great spirit of riders/bikes there. Also those places have you a little further east than Bryson City/Fontana/Robinsonville area so you can better get to things on the eastern side of the mountains there.

Always expect rain at some point during the day in WNC. Clear days are then a delight. You are coming during the dry time of year but it is considered a temperate rainforest in that area so just treat that as FYI.

All the towns within 30 miles of those places have interesting things.

Thinking of seagrove pottery. The potters in that area are scattered about. There are some small clusterings. and others scattered within that basic area. From Waynesville it would be 3-4 hrs each way. So you would really need to plan on 2 days to go there, see stuff and then back. If you do that you might want to also check out Bob Timberlake Galleries in Lexington and take in some good pork vinegar based BBQ that the Lexington area is famous for. Also you can then stop in Spencer at the railroad museum.

There are also some good potters in and south of Asheville.

While Cherokee is a very productive tourist area, the museum there is good as well as the Qualla Artists Gallery. If there do the walk tour of the old farm just into the Smokies Mtn Park. While not a destination all by itself it is a nice respite.

There really is so much to do and take in, a week is a very short time in WNC. Still if you want to do seagrove, it would be ashame to come so far and not get to do it.

Check event calendars for the areas as they might well be a street fair, event, opening etc that would also catch your eye.

Good luck getting things narrrowed down. Also look at alternative ways to get from point A to B for your events/agenda as there are sooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo many good rides to enjoy.

Other things to do. rafting is always good, the train trip from dillsboro to murphy and back is something many enjoy. (Great Smokie Mountains Railway)

I hope this offers some help to you.
    Good luck and perhaps you can give a great trip write up back here.

Stephen