Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A Stebel Nautilus by any other name...

Quote Originally Posted by Railbender View Post
    The Wolo IS MADE BY STEBEL! I have both and can tell no difference.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=stebel

http://www.gpecustom.com/Stebel_Air_Horn.html
    How about research the actual horns, huh?

The Wolo horn model number 519 that you would be putting on your bike puts out 118 decibels:

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/motorcycle.htm

The Stebel Nautilus puts out 139 decibels:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137

Go ahead and tell me again that there is no difference!

Both are f'ing loud people, is it really worth a pissing match? And I DID buy mine from twisted throttle if that makes anyone feel better.
    '98 R1100RT, Color Code 704 -
    Quote Originally Posted by PHMarvin View Post
    I do most of my own work and don't have to worry about plugging into BMW's computer to determine if the gonkulator or the frammus is bad after removing the left-handed thripple pin.

The decibel ratings listed do not tell you how far away they measured. Closer to the horn, the higher the rating.

With either horm, you are definitely going to get some attention.
    Dave

I would like to put a Strebil horn on my R1100RT do I need to order by bike model, or is the horn universal? thanks for any info. Kenny...

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwgsrider View Post
    Go ahead and tell me again that there is no difference!
    Q: What is the difference between the Stebel Compact Nautilus and the Wolo Bad Boy horn ?

A: The Wolo horn is made by Stebel and repackaged using the Wolo brand name. Except for the casing, the horns are identical.

There is only one way to settle this! On Friday after school everyone bring your bike attached to your loud horn and meet under the flag pole!
    2007 R1200 RT
    My other BMW is a Mini
    -99%er-

it's offical the stebel is louder. i took my Wolo off this afternoon and replaced it with a real Stebel. with my wife 5ft away she says the Stebel is louder. so there ya have it, proof positive on which horn is louder.

Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    it's offical the stebel is louder. i took my Wolo off this afternoon and replaced it with a real Stebel. with my wife 5ft away she says the Stebel is louder. so there ya have it, proof positive on which horn is louder.
    Post a pic of the calibration sticker on your wife. We need to know it hasn't expired.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

It is universal. We had to bend the mount to make the horn face forward so it took a little creativity, but not too difficult. I don't remember whether we used the existing horn mount or the one included with the Stebel. It might could be done without it, but we had to remove a good bit of fairing and the fuel tank to do it. (We also inadvertently pulled the plug loose for the front ABS when putting the tank back on).

Someone with experience might be able to do it more easily, but even with all we did, it was well worth it. It is LOUD!

Thanks Professor, having 26 years of steel fabrication experience, I'm sure I can make it work...

I think it means it's official that a new Stebel is louder than an old and used wolo. From some of the stories I've read a new Stebel is also louder than an old and no-longer-working Stebel, too.

I have neither, so both are likely louder than the stock horn on my GS.

HF 20% off coupons that have a long life can be found in the back pages of road and track- every month so far this year. I keep a few in my wallet if I pass through the area of the store and wander in. I vote stieble!

Quote Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
    Post a pic of the calibration sticker on your wife. We need to know it hasn't expired.
    What for? That's not necessary!!! Take two bikes... put one bike with the Wolo and a bike with the real Stebel next to each other and see which one is the loudest! I guarantee you will say the real Stebel is louder than the Wolo. You can't tell me a 118 decibel horn is going to be the same loudness as a 139 decibel horn! The Hz rating are the same. The Wolo is 118 decibel horn and the real Stebel is 139 decibel and you will say the 139 decibel horn is louder. I've done it!

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    I think it means it's official that a new Stebel is louder than an old and used wolo. From some of the stories I've read a new Stebel is also louder than an old and no-longer-working Stebel, too.

I have neither, so both are likely louder than the stock horn on my GS.

I do not think Stebel has changed their horn.

warredon
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwgsrider View Post
    I do not think Stebel has changed their horn.

I don't think that he meant that Stebel changed their horn, at least that is not the way I took it. I can't speak for him but I believe when he said "old Stebel" he meant that one with some age on it from use and weather etc. may not be as loud as it once was when it was new.

Some people just don't get it. To properly compare the decible output of any 2 items that create a sound, you must measure them at exactly the same distance realitive to the source. i.e. 10 feet directly in front of the actual sound emitting horn. Not off to the side, not behind it, not 5 feet for one and 20 feet for the other.

But for those that want to believe only what they read, go with the manufacturers specifications, as they really want you to have accurate information and are not trying to sell you anything.

Once you wrap your head around sound ratings and how they are done, figure out why a 30 watt tube amplifier will be MUCH louder than a 120 watt transistor amplifier.
    Dave