Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Like the new bikes? Thoughts on BMW's vision.

It doesn't matter whether I like the new offerings or not, I won't own one. The closest dealer to me is 275 miles away. I'm in a metropolitan area of 3/4 million on this side and 2+million on the Mexican side - with no BMW motorcycle dealer closer than Albuquerque! So I'll just go along, wrenching on my K75's, ordering my parts off the internet, and reading about the new products from BMW.
    Ride Safe,
    Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
    '94 K75A/3
    '95 K75RTP

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdunn View Post
    Do you like what you see? Perhaps you are considering the purchase of another brand?
    Not really and the fact that I am looking at other brands for the first time since 1990 is a sign.

Do you find yourself lusting after one of the new models, or, are you thinking what were they "thinking"?
    Not at all. Unfortunately I'm not one of the puppets the advertising world would like me to be.

I always chuckle when there is so much hysteria on the part of BMW owners when a new model comes out; some of them actually run out as fast as possible so that they can be the "first to own one". What puppets will do for attention.

I know when I ride my ol' airhead I appreciate the simplicity, but those simple "work on your " bike days are gone, never to return.
    I feel the same way which is why I'd never sell my two airhead GSes, even though I also own an oilhead GS.

The chances of me getting my airhead GS going are exponentially far better than getting my oilhead going should it fail on the road.

Progress...how interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    plus, the airhead imparts a special vibe that just isn't quite there on the new bikes.
    Ian, I don't even have to start them to feel that way.

All I have to do is move my airhead and oilhead GSes around in the garage while doing a clean-up and when I swing a leg over my 1990 GS, all I can say is "this is a real GS"...but not too loudly as my oilhead might feel hurt.

shire2000
    The new BMWs do not impress me to the point of wanting to buy one. Just not my style. I am old school and prefer a bike to look more classic. If I was to get real serious about a new bike, I would be leaning more towards a Moto Guzzi V7 Classic or the new Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic. And the price on these is really very reasonable.

I have ridden a new V7 Classic and found it does everything I would want in a bike. Would like a small windscreen or fly screen and some classically styled panniers, but aftermarket is available. It reminds me of the original V7, yet has a more stable feel to it. I don't feel that I need a bike that has over 100HP and can do 150MPH. I prefer a bike that I can enjoy at normal highway speeds as well as around town. I have dealt with the closest dealer to me in the past and always found them to be very personable as well as knowledgable. they are closer than the closest BMW shop as well.

IMHO Moto Guzzi has embraced their past and brought out some very well thought out bikes that point back to their heritage, yet incorporate modern engine management, suspension, frames, etc.

BMW on the other hand appears to be trying to forget it's past and what got them to where they are today. That seems odd to me as almost every other bike maker is bringing out some classically styled bikes that bring back the days of when the make of a bike could be easily identified without looking for a badge or name. When individual bikes had soul. To me, the new BMWs no longer have any soul. They sure have lots of tupperware though.

I saw an article somewhere (BMW Owners News?) where someone put an oilhead engine in a slash-2(?) frame. I thought that was very cool and suggestive. Being an old fart, I would love to see BMW come out with a classically styled bike (read: R69US or /5 or /6) with oilhead engine. But like those above, I do not think it will happen.

My main wish is that I hope BMW knows what it is doing and sells tons of motorcycles, whatever they are. My preferences are likely irrelevant. I would like BMW Motorrad to be profitable so it stays in business, so I want it to increase its market share a lot.

R69US:

R75/6:
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

Smile Well...

At the risk of dating myself and possibly offending a few members...
    why on Earth do we need all this new horsepower? Just because the Italians and Japanese are nuts, must we follow like lemmings?

Yes, the new bikes look cool and are very powerful, but how many riders can really utilize all that power.

I came close to buying a Guzzi because I love the retro look along with being air cooled and shaft driven, but with a poor dealer network in my area, I opted for a used 2001 R1100RL.

If BMW ever brought back an updated R75/5 ( or other /5's and /6's in the 600cc-900cc range) they would probably sell a ton of 'em.

My 2 cents.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist View Post
    Why on Earth do we need all this new horsepower? Just because the Italians and Japanese are nuts, must we follow like lemmings?
    Its not the fault of the Italians or the Japanese. Its the fault of your average consumer that "wants" more of what they really don't "need"...it makes up for a shortcoming in one particular bodily area.

Its laughable when reading the GS forums...most want more horsepower, at least that is what they talk about when a new model comes out..as if they needed more HP in the dirt.

Somebody's got to buy em new so I can buy em 5/10 years from now at a price I can afford when that owner's ready to unload them for the new latest/greatest.

Speaking of HP, I was just talking to a sales manager who used to work for the mother ship about this. I mentioned the LT and some of the thoughts that it will be getting a make over soon with a much large engine, some rumors say a 6 cylinder don't they? He and I were both in agreement that the K1300 engine would be fine in it and give it plenty of power to haul aroung the bike and passengers. At what point does the HP to weight ratio become so lopsided that it is ridiculous.

I like the old and the new bikes. I wish I could have some of each to suit what ever mood I am in when I go out to the garage. The new style bikes just reflect the times I think, some retro style bikes would be nice too.

I think the bigger issue is the after sale part of the company. I would like to see BMW Motorrad step up their game to the level of the BMW car dealers.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2013 Ural Patrol - White
    2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
    2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

Smile

I really like the R1200RT but will ride my 2004 CLC for at least 3>4 more years before acquiring a nice used one (2007 > 2010). If my health dictates that 2 wheels will not be a good option I will look at a sidecar rig. The new bikes are attractive but I believe that you can find greater value with used bikes if you shop carefully.
    Ride Safe

JAMESDUNN
    Quote Originally Posted by PHMarvin View Post
    It doesn't matter whether I like the new offerings or not, I won't own one. The closest dealer to me is 275 miles away. I'm in a metropolitan area of 3/4 million on this side and 2+million on the Mexican side - with no BMW motorcycle dealer closer than Albuquerque! So I'll just go along, wrenching on my K75's, ordering my parts off the internet, and reading about the new products from BMW.
    Marv, the nearest dealer for me is about 120 miles distant (Gina's of Iowa City, Iowa). I ride over at times, mostly just to hang around a BMW dealer. I always spend at least a bit of money. There is an ex-dealer (Ned's of Riverside,Iowa) , about the same distance away. He still sells BMW parts and works on airheads ( Jim, the original owner's son is a fountain of knowledge). Love to drop in there as well. Now, that shop has some history. Wish they were closer! There are many dealers of every stripe where I reside in Des Moines, Iowa. There is even one ex-BMW dealer here. That "ex" sure pops up a lot! Dealer network is important but lacking for a lot of us. A consideration in a new bike purchase.

I do like to look at the new bikes..when I have the time for a fairly long ride.

I think the extra size and power of the K1300 bikes is questionable. The K1200 models were just fine. But I'm also glad the K1300 models have come out, if it devalues the K1200's on the used market and makes them more affordable, especially post-warranty.

On the other hand, the S1000RR is the most significant, and welcome, development by BMW since the introduction of the K bikes in 1983, in my opinion. The fact that BMW has left Formula 1 and is embracing world class motorcycle racing is FANTASTIC. And the bike itself is an absolutely incredible liter bike, I got to see Nate Kern ride it around at Blackhawk Farms Raceway two days ago. The big concern I'd have with the S1000RR on track is the high cost of replacement parts. I can find tons of low-priced parts for my Suzuki on e-Bay and Craigslist. And track bikes do tend to need parts, they go down from time to time.

So, I definitely lust after the K1200GT as a touring bike and the S1000RR as a track bike, but I'll stick to my Suzuki track bike for a long time. The GT will definitely be my next road bike, way down the line when my K75RT gets old and I convert it to a cafe racer.
    Sam Hokin, Madison BMW Club | Facebook | Flickr
    1991 K75RT (117,000 mi) road | 2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 track
    "BMWs are slugs, for gentleman riders who are also slugs." -- letter to Cycle World, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    One "new" feature is questionable - the signal switches for turning.

For years BMW used the separate switches on the left and right because the system caused less confusion and was touted as being safer.

I notice the new GT has a single switch on the left like the rest of the crowd from Japan. Is this change safer or cheaper? I would prefer the separate switches.

The only constant is change.
    I vote for separate switches also. Since 1968, I have ridden bikes with the single turn signal switch and never had issues. Then this last May, I bought my first BMW, a new GSA. Took me all of about one day to get used to the turn signals and now I really do prefer this layout versus the single switch layout. It just seems more intuitive to me.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by astrin View Post
    I think the extra size and power of the K1300 bikes is questionable. ....
    Interesting comment.

I like the effortless and bottemless torque and acceleration of my GT.

On the highway I do not even downshift to pass - it's not needed, it was though on my RT and I think the RT is an awesome bike, wish I could have had both.

Anyway, like all things, its a personal thing - the turbine linear power build up in the GT is seductive, tempting and luring - part of the reason we all ride, IMO.

2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post

I like the effortless and bottomless torque and acceleration of my GT.
    For sure, but is it significantly different from the 1200 cc model? That's my comment, that the increase to 1300 cc is a bit silly. The K1200GT was already a majorly kick-ass bike!

As for turn signals, it would really be nice if BMW gave you the option to have standard or BMW style switches on all their bikes. I'd certainly opt for the BMW style switches. But I also think a lot of folks that come over from other models would prefer the standard switch, and that's perfectly fine. It's a fairly important little piece of ergonomics that should be the rider's decision.
    Sam Hokin, Madison BMW Club | Facebook | Flickr
    1991 K75RT (117,000 mi) road | 2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 track
    "BMWs are slugs, for gentleman riders who are also slugs." -- letter to Cycle World, 1984