Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Like the new bikes? Thoughts on BMW's vision.

i love them all, but the cost of ownership on the new models is really raising my eyebrows.

just did a 12k on the HP2, but the major on my G/SPD+ was more rewarding... it needed a cam chain, too.

plus, the airhead imparts a special vibe that just isn't quite there on the new bikes.

i do look forward to what's coming. i just can't afford it any more.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

JAMESDUNN
    I agree with you Visian about the vibe the airhead imparts. My oilhead is lacking that vibe. Love the oilhead though, just not as much. I too like the new bikes, but they are soooo expensive! BMW is on a roll though, at least in terms of interesting product roll out. Amazing! The new S1000RR is a wake up call to the Japanese that they do not own the sportbike market as much as they once did; of course sales will be the final arbitrator on that.

criminaldesign
    Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    Freudian slip?
    ahem... content?

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    One "new" feature is questionable - the signal switches for turning.

For years BMW used the separate switches on the left and right because the system caused less confusion and was touted as being safer.

I notice the new GT has a single switch on the left like the rest of the crowd from Japan. Is this change safer or cheaper? I would prefer the separate switches.

The only constant is change.
    I'm a bit unusual in this regard*,
    But the only only bikes I've owned have been '85 and newer BMWs- which means that the three-button system is what I'm used to and most comfortable with. I recently spent about 30 miles on a friend's Aprilia scooter (which uses the 'Japanese' type signal switch) and I think I fumbled every turn signal in the entire ride.

*Well, most regards really, but that's another thread for another discussion...
    Bikeless for now...but not for much longer!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Here is the story as I heard it at a BOD meeting. BMW has decided they want to be #1 in whatever segment they are in. The mainstream M/C press always downgrades BMW's in reviews for the "non-standard" switch gear. Can not change the mind of the M/C press? Change the switch gear instead.

Most of the "conquest" sales (sales to folks who used to buy another brand of bike) will be happy to see the turn signal is in the "right" place (just as they were used to on their other bikes).

Repeat after me: "Change is good. I embrace change. I welcome change. I look forward to change. Change is my life."

Please don't stone the messenger and, if the info as told to me is incorrect, I stand corrected. Otherwise I'm ducking.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Huckleberry, Gilera &Toad kstoo's Avatar
    Of all of them, I really like the V7 Classic. Oh, wait, that there is not a BMW. That's right, in BMW's attempt to be number one in all fronts they have completely forgotten about the modern classics, unlike Guzzi, Ducati, Triumph, Harley, ....
    1980 R100T (Gilera), 1982 R100RT (Toad), 1975 R60/6 (cern?¡calo)
    Adventures at the Cave

JAMESDUNN
    Quote Originally Posted by kstoo View Post
    Of all of them, I really like the V7 Classic. Oh, wait, that there is not a BMW. That's right, in BMW's attempt to be number one in all fronts they have completely forgotten about the modern classics, unlike Guzzi, Ducati, Triumph, Harley, ....
    How true. BMW has completely forgotten it's classic past, i.e. the pre-oilhead Boxers. They do not want to go there again! Discovered with the intro of the brick K's how hard-headed the airhead crowd is. Wish they would though; woud not a new R90S be grand?!

I too love the Guzzi V7 and the retro Ducatis, and the other retro bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    I'm a bit unusual in this regard*,
    But the only only bikes I've owned have been '85 and newer BMWs- which means that the three-button system is what I'm used to and most comfortable with. I recently spent about 30 miles on a friend's Aprilia scooter (which uses the 'Japanese' type signal switch) and I think I fumbled every turn signal in the entire ride.

*Well, most regards really, but that's another thread for another discussion...

Totally opposite here

Finally got used to the GT switchgear. Finished doing a full service on my wife's R1200ST and went for a road test around town and I was just laughing at myself because I just kept messing up all the turn signals, shutting them off and turning them on.

It's all muscle memory - but if I had my druthers I would have left it at the 3 switches - it is more natural and logical
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Talking

The only new BMW bikes that I care for are perhaps the R1200R and the F800GS - at least those bikes make some sense to me and aren't totally encased in tupperware. I would love it if BMW came out with some retro style models - if done right, even an oilhead powerplant wouldn't look too bad. In the meantime, I'll keep my little airhead, and keep my eyes open for another one to join it.

I think that BMW seems to want to be #1 in the markets that they think that they can be #1 in - even if that means creating a niche market of their own choosing to be #1 in. Just ask the R1200C owners - that was a unique bike with a decent following, but there was no way BMW would take over the cruiser market with it, so they dropped it to the dismay of many. Oh well, my opinion is probably not worth what you paid for it..
    BMWs in my garage: 1982 R65LS, 1978 R100/7

Huckleberry, Gilera &Toad kstoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdunn View Post
    How true. BMW has completely forgotten it's classic past, i.e. the pre-oilhead Boxers. They do not want to go there again! Discovered with the intro of the brick K's how hard-headed the airhead crowd is. Wish they would though; woud not a new R90S be grand?!

Wow, that would be a great PR move, I never thought of that. A modernized version of the somewhat controversial,ground-breaking 1974 R90S; that would be a great move.
    Air-cooled, shaft-drive, I wouldn't mind if it was FI instead of Del'Orto, mmm. That V7 Classic is under-powered; you can compete with that ... come on, Mister BMW ...
    1980 R100T (Gilera), 1982 R100RT (Toad), 1975 R60/6 (cern?¡calo)
    Adventures at the Cave

I have often wondered how the membership here feels about the new product coming from Germany. Do you like what you see? Do you find yourself lusting after one of the new models, or, are you thinking what were they "thinking"? Perhaps you are considering the purchase of another brand? I know when I ride my ol' airhead I appreciate the simplicity, but those simple "work on your " bike days are gone, never to return. Sure, some do wrench the new and newer bikes, and good on 'em! But it is a different day in general. What do ya think? Like the new stuff? Hate it? Wish you could get BMW to change direction? Any other thoughts pertaining to BMW bikes? Are ya gonna stay with the brand or abandon it for a new love?
    If you can wrench on an airhead, the new bikes will be a piece of cake.

Sit in on an oilhead tech day and you'll know exactly what those guys are doing during a tune up because it's what you're already doing.

My /2 and my hexhead are equally easy to service.

I'll stick with the brand. I like they way they make speed.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

I think one needs to look beyond the appearance and consider the way they work.

When you consider that BMW made a "gentleman's express" in the 90S or RS, the new bikes are very similar. It's not necessarily the bike itself, either. It's the collection of accessories available that make the bike perform its intended mission so well. From the high beam indicator that doesn't blind you at night to the way the bags lock to store your stuff, those same values still exist. That's why I keep buying them.

They're obviously made by people that ride and have spent time on the bikes actually going somewhere.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

JAMESDUNN
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    If you can wrench on an airhead, the new bikes will be a piece of cake.

Sit in on an oilhead tech day and you'll know exactly what those guys are doing during a tune up because it's what you're already doing.

My /2 and my hexhead are equally easy to service.

I'll stick with the brand. I like they way they make speed.
    Dave, I own an oilhead and agree they are easy to wrench on, as they are an evolution of the airheads. Just more valves to adjust for example, in relation to the airheads. I do think, however ,the new inline motors are a different story. Still, will not rule out ownership of same and have owned a couple of the K bricks in the past.

BMW's direction?

a few questions:

1. When they next re-do the hex-head, will the clutch spline extend all the way thru the disk. Or is the same stubborn old fart still insisting they made it that way for a reason, but never gives the reason.

2. Will the Hydraulic clutch slave cylinder include a weep hole. An upgraded release bearing?

3. Will the final drive ever get reliable.

4. Will the ESA shock become rebuild-able.

5. Will they ever learn how to machine the engine and transmission so the center line of the shafts coincide.

Now I am all for ABS, and all for wiring harness simplification and CAN Buss. Seeing old problems repeated over and over is senseless.

Rod

Motorcycleton
    I saw the "40 Years" picture on today's website front page -

To me that bike (R75/5) is better looking than any of the current offerings.