Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bicycle rack on a Beemer!

TANDEMGEEK
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    Putting a bike across your m/c ... is not sound practice.
    Can you elaborate?

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Putting a bike across your m/c or along the side is not sound practice. Always best to have a balanced load and one that does not impair the safe operation of the m/c.
    I think he did.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

TANDEMGEEK
    Quote Originally Posted by GrafikFeat View Post
    I think he did.
    Let me add an illustration to help clarify my question.

Don't get me wrong, the 2x2 cycle rack is very slick and I considered it, but did not want to give up my top case and devised a different approach that works just as well for me, notwithstanding some readers concerns about tail llight visibility.

The crux of my question pertains to "balanced load" and how having the weight of a 16lb road bike or up to a 28lb mountain bike place up high and well back of the bike's CG makes for a more sound practice than placing that same weight closer-in to the bike and much closer to the CG by having the bike positioned across the back of the motorcycle with both wheels removed and out of the air flow.

If a motorcycle did not have side cases, the balance of the equation quickly changes since that's where most of the sheltering from the wind comes from on the 'across the back of the M/C' configuration, so there are clearly some trade-offs that are dependent on what type of motorcycle you're riding and whether or not it has luggage and will or will not have a passenger.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TandemGeek; 04-20-2010 at 03:56 PM.

ROCKHOUND

2x2 cycles and side loading

Your questions and observations are good ones and I will not disagree with you on your points. However as you have stated all situations are not the same. In building a rack to perform safely for the majority of m/c 's out there and to have the least amount of compromise to the majority, positioning the bike inline with the rider and and out of the way of the rider completely in my opinion is the safest and highest priority. I have ridden m/c's with the bike shot gun style and have ridden with them side loaded across the back and find them both to present greater compromises then the configuration we have choose for 2x2 in my opinion. As far as weight issue is concerned the bikes are very light and the weight out the back is hardly noticeable at all. I have ridden my bikes at speeds farrrrr above the posted speeds and in the curves and feel very little effect.

There is not always a one size fits all approach but I feel we are striving to come as close as responsibly possible while making it possible for all to squeeze every ounce of use and enjoyment from our m/c's and doing our part to save on gas etc. I would much rather drive to the mountains on my m/c to ride my mtn. bike then to use my 5k lb. truck to transport my 16 lb. bike.

I will add one last note, when using our 2x2 rack or any other configuration, they should always be aware of the changes and drive responsibly and with some restraint. I do believe it is safer then say seeing some drivers trying to adjust there Ipods, or reading there gps's or making phone calls, now that is crazy.

Thanks for listening. Always ride safe.

TANDEMGEEK
    I will add one last note, when using our 2x2 rack or any other configuration, they should always be aware of the changes and drive responsibly and with some restraint.
    Thanks; appreciate the feedback.

Again, if I had a GS your 2X2 would have probably been my first choice.

BTW, for any readers who have not see Garrett & his 2x2 Cycle rack in anything other than still photos, he has posted a very good video demo on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-ooeiE3pG0