Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle rack on a Beemer!

Sorry, but where's your brake lights ? I would run trailer brake lights. No one in a truck or an SUV would see you stopping. I like the idea, I would uses my panniers boxes on the sides before across my brake & turn signals.
    Just my 2 cents
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

Good question.

Brake lights are unobstructed from behind. I will check how visible they are from behind and above as viewed from a tall vehicle.

The attachments in the rear are going to be more simple, and less cluttered. I intend to fix white reflective tape to the inside of the supports to brighten the lighting
    Last edited by Bob_M; 04-14-2010 at 03:22 PM.

TANDEMGEEK
    Quote Originally Posted by 119240 View Post
    Sorry, but where's your brake lights ? I would run trailer brake lights. No one in a truck or an SUV would see you stopping.
    Valid concern if your only point of reference is a 1D photograph and, yes, I considered using a clip-on, '3rd Eye' tail / stop light attached to the back lip of the top case. However, when looked at in real life the tail, turn and stop lights as well as the license plate are all visible from all but the most oblique angles where the support straps and bars tend to obstruct the view. However, these aren't typical angles of attack that motorists are presented with when approaching from the rear in normal driving circumstances. Note that I have a Kissan Signal Minder on my RT and use the dimmed running light mode, which is why the rear turn signals are illuminated in these video segments.

Just for kicks, and to add some perspective, here's a link to a quick YouTube video I threw together that looks at the rear tail / brake light performance at night from two perspectives, with and without the bicycle rack & bicycle mounted to the RT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO1qr2neLB8

Segment 1: 30' away at normal driver's perspective without the rack & bicycle
    Segment 2: 30' away at normal driver's perspective with the bicycle on the rack
    Segment 3: 15' away and elevated to about 6'2" / truck height without the rack & bicycle
    Segment 4: 15' away and elevated to about 6'2" / truck height with the bicycle on the rack

Now, if an SUV / Truck was tailgating and only 5' off my rear wheel then, yes, the brake light would be somewhat obstructed during daylight hours. Of course, if an SUV or truck is sitting that close to my rear wheel at anything greater than crawling speed seeing my brake light isn't going to do much to prevent being rear-ended anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_M View Post
    Brake lights are unobstructed from behind. I will check how visible they are from behind and above as viewed from a tall vehicle.
    Pretty sure '119240' was referring to my rear rack installation... given that your approach doesn't partially obstruct your tail light.

I'm glad you travel & ride your bike / motorcycle at night .
    Most of us travel & ride our motorcycle & bicycles during the day.
    As you said "Yes the brake lights would be somewhat obstructed during daylight hrs." - Please be safe with your rack over your rear lights during the day.
    Good luck in riding
    Last edited by 119240; 04-15-2010 at 12:02 PM.
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

TANDEMGEEK
    I'm glad you travel & ride your bike / motorcycle at night. Most of us travel & ride our motorcycle & bicycles during the day.
    I do not use my motorcycles for 'leisure' or 'recreation', they are used primarily for transportation. So, at least 50% of my riding is done in the dark from Mar - Sept, and 100% is done in the dark from Oct - Feb commuting to and from work which, for me, starts around 6am and ends around 7pm each day.

My wife and I are avid cyclists who cycle during daylight hours and recently began using day-time tail lights from diNotte for added visibility given the rise in cyclists being struck from behind by distracted motorists.

Yes, I'm very sensitive to rear visibility despite your perceptions to the contrary.

As you said "Yes the brake lights would be somewhat obstructed during daylight hrs."
    No, what I said was, "Now, if an SUV / Truck was tailgating and only 5' off my rear wheel then, yes, the brake light would be somewhat obstructed during daylight hours. Of course, if an SUV or truck is sitting that close to my rear wheel at anything greater than crawling speed seeing my brake light isn't going to do much to prevent being rear-ended anyway."

- please travel & ride your bicycle at night for your loved ones. Good luck in riding
    I'd say thanks, but I detect a lack of sincerity in your comments.

If I find myself with 30 minutes of spare time during daylight hours I may reshoot the video samples just to see if light bends differently in the day than it does at night. If I discover a potential safety issue in the camera lense that hasn't been apparent to my naked eye I will consider adding Hyperlights or some other supplemental brake lights to the top case.

Quote Originally Posted by TandemGeek View Post
    I'd say thanks, but I detect a lack of sincerity in your comments.
    I thought it was just me.

Bicycling here in Portland has become pretty main stream, but still there are those who overtly menace and use their vehicles to threaten or hurt cyclists. I was at a local BMW meet and greet and one attendee told the story about how he was driving a delivery van in a residential neighborhood and had to slow for a woman cyclist who was taking the lane (legal here). His impatience and sense of entitlement developed into anger. He got out of his van crushed her bicycle wheel and bragged about it over beers.

As you are a frequent cyclist you know how other road users feel about cyclists.

TANDEMGEEK
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_M View Post
    As you are a frequent cyclist you know how other road users feel about cyclists.
    Yes, we're even lower than 'bugs' in the road-user food chain:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ynpGFj97Ic

Austin,Tx is also a cycling heavy town...from commuting to recreation.

I rode my bike every day after work before I retired and moved ...a 30 mile loop on State roads with a paved shoulder mostly. One of my own employees in a city vehicle buzzed me way too close with the trucks mirror ,not knowing it was me. I was on a 10' shoulder and he came into it to "put that idiot on a bike in his place" as was his explanation the next day when I said I had a complaint. After I explained it was me and the danger he posed to the other citizens...I took his driving priveleges away and removed him as crewleader, which got in his money pocket. He retired less than a year later. I don't think he ever got it.

Another employee wearing a city uniform and going home after work in his own vehicle after a stop at the local bar, stopped on a county road and started cussing and shoved one rider down. Sadly for him, the group consisted of a city council member, a District Court Judge, and a few hi profile defense attorneys. He wasn't terminated...but had to attend some anger classes and apologize in person to the cyclists. He growled at me knowing I was "one of them".

Seems two wheeled vehicles, powered or not raise the ire of many who don't get it. Helen & I have started riding again out here in the country. She is not quite used to the whoosh of the trucks passing us. TX law now requires you to move over by at least three feet on roads w/out a shoulder, most do.

dang that was long...
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Pics not by me or of me, but shamelessly stolen from the internet for my own inspiration. If any are yours...sorry...let me know and I'll delete them. Maybe some ideas for you here:

Christopher Ross, Lubbock, Texas

2012 R1200GSA
    1974 R90S

TANDEMGEEK
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoss View Post
    Pics not by me or of me, but shamelessly stolen from the internet for my own inspiration. If any are yours...sorry...let me know and I'll delete them. Maybe some ideas for you here
    Quite a few of those belong to the same gentleman (Ricardo K.) from Berkley and, then later, the SF Bay Area. He has even figured out how to attach multiple bikes + a tandem bike to his GS using his "Pennytech" rack...

In fact, how about a photo where he wedged his girlfriend and his purple Ibis off-road tandem onto the bike at the same time: yikes!. Not sure I'd want to stick any part of my body through the frame of a bicycle while riding a motorcycle.

He posts quite a bit on ADVRiders, MTBR and was a list member of a couple tandem cycling boards a few years back but has been silent on those boards as of late. I think most of those photos posted above may have come from this MTBR thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=359270

The "Johnny Rack" and '2x2 Cycle Rack' mentioned earlier all use a similar, in-line mounting approach where the bike sticks out off the back of the motorcycle and from all accounts they seem to work fine. I considered that approach as well, but wanted something a bit more compact. Again, what I've got is working just fine thus far... in fact, the RT is sitting outside with my road bike on it and ready to go for some repeats on Kennesaw Mountain after work today.

Quote Originally Posted by TandemGeek View Post
    Quite a few of those belong to the same gentleman (Ricardo K.) from Berkley and, then later, the SF Bay Area.
    And now in Salt Lake City, Utah. I wonder of SLC is ready for Ricky.

TANDEMGEEK
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    And now in Salt Lake City, Utah. I wonder of SLC is ready for Ricky.
    I'm not sure anyone can truly be ready for Ricky... since you really never know what Ricky will come up with next.

RIDEOREGON
    Here's a guy who should just give up motorized travel altogether.....assuming you could find a bicycle that wouldn't break.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sparkle-farkle-butt
    Yakima rack mounted with the Yakima artificial raingutters. Stable until one neglects proper fastener tightening while riding across New Mexico.

Motorcycle handled fine, although a little light in the front end.

HTML Code:

HTML Code:

ROCKHOUND

2x2 Cycles

Good Morning to all. I have been slow on using the forum but it was brought to my attention that folks where asking questions and posting comments about our bicycle rack. We have been advertising in the MOA mag and where at the GREAT Tenn. rally last year. Yes we built bike racks to fit multi brand m/cs and also soon to be golf club racks equipped with Hyper-lites from Ron in Mi. Our rack rides inline with the rider and at a low profile. You would hardly know that your sub 30 lb. bike was even on board and a lot less then a passenger. We build in redundant systems in the rack and feel it to be as safe and strong as possible. Putting a bike across your m/c or along the side is not sound practice. Always best to have a balanced load and one that does not impair the safe operation of the m/c. I look forward to answering all questions you might have and our web site is www.2x2cycles.com. Having been a member of the MOA for 15 years I have come to know that BMW riders are among the safest and more serious riders out there, and in that spirit was what we based our engineering on. We will also be at americade , mid ohio, and hope to do a couple of the moa regional rallies.