Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Rally is not over for me

The Rally is not over for me

I just got a friendly notice from the city of Jonesborough, which totally presumes my guilt, for an alleged red light infraction. All they want is $88, or for me to turn in the real rider of my scoot, or a request for a hearing.
    I live in FL, so a hearing may not be practical.
    I'm wondering if anyone else had this happen, as the directions to the Snake had us going SOUTH on the road to Jonesborough, rather than north to Elizabethtown.
    Any advice on how to deal with this issue?
    Thanks, Steve
    Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans
    John Lennon - Double Fantasy
    Today: 00 K1200LTC, 01 330Cic, 02 HD FLHT, 99 Valkyrie
    Yesterday: 03 K1200GT 99 K1200LT 03 R1150RT 00 R1100RS 85 K100 74 R90/6 73 Kawi H1

Pay it!

Florida will get the notice and your drivers license will be on hold at your next renewal, otherwise. They will get you, either way. Sorry. Most states have reciprocity now a days. You can check to see if Florida has this with Tennessee and if they DO NOT, you're FREE. Its most probable, they do and you're hooked, like a fish on a long line! Randy

Happened to a friend a few years. Florida does reciprocate. It's a scam of course. They know you won't appear. If you pay, you'll get the points. Find a traffic attorney in Jonesborough. It'll cost you about $100 but he'll fix the ticket.

alan
    www.MotoEuro.org

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by adsinger View Post
    Happened to a friend a few years. Florida does reciprocate. It's a scam of course. They know you won't appear. If you pay, you'll get the points. Find a traffic attorney in Jonesborough. It'll cost you about $100 but he'll fix the ticket.

alan
    www.MotoEuro.org
    I don't think you get points with the cameras(if I recall correctly when the legislation was passed). You just get the fine.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I retain a traffic court agent for all our family tickets. It's money well spent, especially with a teen age driver involved.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Osbornek-
    Thanks for your response. I did a web search and found:

"The citations are considered non-moving violations and there are no points assessed against the licenses and are not reported to the state or the insurance company. The tickets will cost $50.00. If a person wants to contest the violation and the case is heard by a judge and found liable (guilty), the cost will be $135.75"

They had the above info and more at the following site:

http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/200...oon-be-online/

My revenue squeeze is $88.75.

Thanks again
    Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans
    John Lennon - Double Fantasy
    Today: 00 K1200LTC, 01 330Cic, 02 HD FLHT, 99 Valkyrie
    Yesterday: 03 K1200GT 99 K1200LT 03 R1150RT 00 R1100RS 85 K100 74 R90/6 73 Kawi H1

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Florida will get the notice and your drivers license will be on hold at your next renewal, otherwise. They will get you, either way. Sorry. Most states have reciprocity now a days. You can check to see if Florida has this with Tennessee and if they DO NOT, you're FREE. Its most probable, they do and you're hooked, like a fish on a long line! Randy
    Yup - Florida has reciprocity, so ignoring the ticket in TN will have consequences in FL.

Also (as it works here in WI), any failure to pay a forfeiture results in a Bench Warrant issued for your arrest. If TN operates that way, any traveling thru TN will always be as 'a wanted man' until you take care of the ticket anyways.

You requested advice: Let's see............

Messed up.....got caught.....take responsibility.....pay ticket.....lesson learned.....move on.

Or, the American way of dealing with mistakes: Hire attorney.....accept no personal responsibility.....'fix' the ticket.....bragging rights about how justice was circumvented.....move on.

Your choice.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Messed up.....got caught.....take responsibility.....pay ticket.....lesson learned.....move on.

Or, the American way of dealing with mistakes: Hire attorney.....accept no personal responsibility.....'fix' the ticket.....bragging rights about how justice was circumvented.....move on.

Your choice.
    Right on.
    Ub
    05 K12S . 86 R65

Quote Originally Posted by kltsteve View Post
    Osbornek-
    Thanks for your response. I did a web search and found:

"The citations are considered non-moving violations and there are no points assessed against the licenses and are not reported to the state or the insurance company. The tickets will cost $50.00. If a person wants to contest the violation and the case is heard by a judge and found liable (guilty), the cost will be $135.75"

They had the above info and more at the following site:

http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/200...oon-be-online/

My revenue squeeze is $88.75.

Thanks again
    If I recall, if you contest it and are found guilty, then the violation is reported to the state and insurance company. They give you a lot of reasons not to contest the ticket.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Just another rider
    Quote Originally Posted by kltsteve View Post
    Can we say "revenue enhancement"? Oh, I thought we could.
    What a crock of pure unfiltered extortionism. This is venal BS at it's purest. Of course, what choice is there but pay up?

This is horse**** politics at it's finest.
    Steve
    Madison, WI

"...break the law you've got to pay your dues, be much better if you played it by the rules, no parking baby, no parking on the dance floor..."

- Midnight Star, No Parking On The Dance Floor
    "During Prohibition I survived on nothing but food and water." - W.C. Fields

A CHEAP lesson;

This is indeed a cheap one at 88$, because I've looked recently where I live in CA and they get 300$ and up for this "same violation" at many many cities out here. A real bargain, in your case. I find CA. sickening in these regards as they really prod the public out here, with exceedingly HIGH fines for anything. A state in trouble, with its 50 Billion $$$ deficit. Come to CA and expect to pay! Be WARNED...Randy

JAMESDUNN

Fight back!

These "camera" tickets are a travesty and are dangerous. Further it is BIG BRO watching. IF enough LOCAL citizens protest they are oft times removed, as they were here in a couple of Des Moines suburbs. Unfortunately for you, as a tourist ,you're easy money and an easy target. I'd contest the ticket regardless, as suggested here elsewhere. California, as referred to by Polar Bear is a rip off state concerning tickets. It devours it's young....and old.

I once received a citation in Colorado, hired an attorney and got it much reduced. Well worth the attorney fee,

They were here;

Removed in my California town of Clovis, Fresno area, as they were a real controversial item. I'm not sure the exact reason they came down, but did indeed come down, or turned off. SIGNs are posted all around the state cities, however, posting the fine amounts at (first time offenders)300$ plus at most locations around CA..for red light violations. Its about revenue and cities without big gov't funds(grants) coming in....SO, we pay!!!, for minute offenses out here. OF course, some red light violators are quite dangerous, so maybe the fine is "somewhat" waranted. I'm finding the fine structures around to be quite HIGH in most cases, for the above revenue reasons. More tax/fines are better for keeping your local gov't happy and spending! I am lucky, so far to be free of this for years now, no violations....Randy

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdunn View Post
    These "camera" tickets are a travesty and are dangerous. Further it is BIG BRO watching. Unfortunately for you, as a tourist ,you're easy money and an easy target. I'd contest the ticket regardless, as suggested here elsewhere.

I once received a citation in Colorado, hired an attorney and got it much reduced. Well worth the attorney fee,
    There's one little point that nobody has mentioned. Was he or could he have been guilty? If they have a picture of him running the light, it might be wiser to pay up and chalk it down as a lesson learned. They might be willing to e-mail a copy of the picture.

I don't think the cameras should ever be used and should be outlawed but we have to work with the situation as it is.

KEN