Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Polarized sunglasses - a bad thing

I use prescription polarized sunglasses and find them to be excellent. They do a great job at their primary purpose, and I have not experienced (luckily I suppose) any of the problems others have encountered. I recently purchased polarized sunglass bi-focals (yes thats another age milestone!) and they are tremendous. I should have made that switch a few years ago.
    Cheers............Rod
    BMWMOA# 114168 IBA# 19606
    "Road Worthy": http://www.trafford.com/Bookstore/Bo...=SKU-000167680

Emoto is right

Like Emoto, I underwent Lasik several years ago. I purchased a top of the line set of Maui Jims. I only use a clear shield on my helmet. I come home in the evening as the sun is setting. Have to be able to easily remove the sunglasses. I haven't really noticed the color effect other than on some of the cages tinted windows and this is only from the outside. The road etc are not adversely affected and I find I don't need to squint at all. Makes for more relaxed driving. Just my 2 cents.
    2002 R1150R (Black)

I'd bet the wild card isn't the user, but the helmet windshield.
    scott conary - BMW... err...umm... bikes are dangerous
    portland, oregon
    www.scottconary.com | new paintings

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Originally posted by knary
    I'd bet the wild card isn't the user, but the helmet windshield.
    I am not sure in your case.

Now taht you guys have mentioned it, I started comparing my sunglasses. Bright light bothers me so much that I have a couple of pairs. The cheapies make it dimmer, but I still squint. Yup they are polarized. The mid price are okay. The Oakley's do real good, no squinting or nothing. The only thing to compare them to is the prescription aspherical lens sunglasses that are not quite as dark but better image quality and wre $100 more.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Originally posted by knary
    I've noted a definite difference in quality between the truly cheap and other sunglasses. I think you are right. I think I should just bite the bullet and buy something of some level of quality. The optics are better and the level of tint is often more appropriate for driving/riding. I *hate* how most cheap sunglasses are incredibly dark, making them unusable for me in all but the darkest situations.
    If you google for Revo Mad Wrap you can find them for around 100 bucks. A lot for sunglasses, but less than I paid a few years ago. Revos also have those nice spring loaded hinges. Try the "blue mirror" lenses. From the wearer's perspective they look almost like an amber that isn't terribly dark (but dark enough) but really help with contrast and clarity.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

In my experience, I take much better care of, and keep much better track of good sunglasses. Unfortunate they are expensive.
    My eyesight has recently become so poor prescription shades are my only option. Sucks that they're ~$200 a pop. But I don't lose them.

Someday soon it's lasic for me, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]David#476
    "Is this some sort of a senior citizens tour?"

Happy me found a pair of Bolle' sunglasses on sale at the local REI. $34 for some shades that are, as best I can tell, superb. The regular price was somewhere towards $100.

They came in handy as I rode through this landscape over the past week...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    scott conary - BMW... err...umm... bikes are dangerous
    portland, oregon
    www.scottconary.com | new paintings