Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49

Thread: BMW Owners Club or riding group in Central Florida?

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    121
    That sounds like a solid plan to me . TRYING to get a club started is probably a daunting task at best. Letting it happen as it will is the better solution. Thanks for the advice.

    As for riding in the heat, as long as I am moving I'm doing just fine .

  2. #17
    Rideoften
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    564

    Ride

    Vector,

    I'll go for a ride with you. Check your PM.

    MB

  3. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    121
    Right back at you Mike....check your PM.

  4. #19
    WANDRR
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Campground USA
    Posts
    41
    I tried getting involved with a FL BMW group, but did not find what I was looking for. I live in SW FL and ended up joining the Alabama beemer group, bmwmoal.org . They are a very active group that ride all the time. Every months meeting is a mini rally/campout somewhere in the AL, GA, TN, NC area. They also host the world famous Chicken rally. Two of the members, past presidents, were the rally chairs at the international rally in Johnson City.
    Greg and Melanie
    2006 K12LT
    BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF
    WANDRRMotorcycleTours.com

  5. #20
    Rideoften
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    564

    Ride

    According to eurotrashriders.com, they meet at City Diner on Livingston in downtown Orlando on Sunday morning between 8:00 and 9:00. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow and see if anyone shows up.

    MB

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    6

    Cool Central Florida Riders

    I am sure there are plenty of riders in Central Florida to make up a good club. The fine folks in Jacksonville do a great job. It will take local riders with leadership initiative to get the ball rolling. I participate in 4 to 6 rally's each year and if you look around you will meet a number of Central Floridians. Count me in if you get something going!

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    121

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb921 View Post
    According to eurotrashriders.com, they meet at City Diner on Livingston in downtown Orlando on Sunday morning between 8:00 and 9:00. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow and see if anyone shows up.

    MB
    I'm wondering what you found yesterday, Mike?

    For the record, my wife and I will be planning a short ride next Sunday (23rd). We are thinking about doing a counter-clockwise circuit around Lake Apopka (from the Orlando area) that will take us over some decent motorcycle roads. Given the heat and the weather, we'll probably do breakfast around 9:00, then hit the road for the 1-1/2 - 2 hour ride. Of course, our plans will depend on what Bill and Anna decide to do (the big storms our in the Atlantic now heading east). If anyone is interested in joining in, I'll email/post up a meeting place and planned route and we can go from there.


  8. #23
    Registered User jdsdtourteam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    15

    Another Orlando-area LT rider here

    Vector,

    Wife and I officially moved from PA down to the NE Orlando-area around the beginning of the year. We have done a couple of Saturday or Sunday breakfast RTE's with the Spacecoast crew. Takes us about an hour to get down to Melbourne where they meet (around 8 AM).

    I usually frequent more the BMWLT web site. They have a few BMW members down here in Flatland but the SE US residents (really the local Floridians) have not done an RTE since last December.

    We are often looking for someplace in FL to explore since we're relatively new the state. We are more-or-less limited to weekend rides, and morning to early afternoon rides as it gets kind of warm and stormy (lightning = bad) during the afternoons. We prefer rides that are out of the city, or don't go through the city due to too much traffic/construction. We've explored the east coast more than the west coast.

    Last year, we did a 6K mile trip out west and many 1+K trips over extended weekends. This year our mileage has been hardly anything!

    Jon
    1995 Honda ST1100
    2005 BMW K1200 LT (gone)
    2011 BMW R1200RT

  9. #24
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Posts
    378
    Jon Here is a good ride suggestion. Get out of Orlando southbound through Kissimmee to St. Cloud. Pick up 523 south to 441 south. This is all rural road once you get through St Cloud. When you get to the town of Okeechobee you can continue south on 441 and go around the lake either clockwise or counterclockwise. Either way, it is a good days ride. When you get back to Okeechobee there is a place at about 11pm on the lake called OkeeTante Resort. They have a good restaurant..Lightseys. Or there are a lot of other places to eat in the town. At the south end of the lake is the Clewiston Inn. A great place for lunch--an old fashioned 30s style inn.

    If you really want to get a weekend ride, take 27 South at South Bay. This will connect with Krome Avenue, then on to Homestead. From there it is another 100 or so miles to Key West.

  10. #25
    Rideoften
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by vectorprime27 View Post
    I'm wondering what you found yesterday, Mike?
    I found a guy on a Harley Sportster who knew nothing of a Euro meeting place. I may be up for a ride next Sunday. I'll keep an eye on the "South".

    MB

  11. #26
    Registered User BernieEcht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Posts
    193
    Jon, there are plenty of good roads and small towns north of Orlando. You have the area between Deland, Howey-on-the-Hills, Ocala, Gainesville and Palatka.
    Then there is the horse farm country which is nice rolling hills. Look at roads that go east -west and not north-south. There are nice little towns , like Micanopy, Williston, Citra, Mount Dora, Clermont, or Astor Park. Have you ever gone to George Town. There is a very nice and curvy road that goes from US 17 to Denver and continues to George Town, there you can go north to Welaka and then circle back around to US 17. The state of FL hands out free maps and if that does not help, send me a PM and I e-mail you some GPS files , to keep you busy for a while, or longer. Of course do not let them Northerns know. After all there are no curves in FL.
    Bernie Echt
    Jacksonville, FL
    2007 R1200RT Double Silver, 2000 R11RT sold (103K)
    MOA#92589, BMWNEF, BMW Outriders, BMW-RA, AMA

  12. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    121
    Jon I'll post up a decent ride out of Orlando for you. As a matter of fact, it'll probably be the route we take on Sunday (weather permitting). The route I'm thinking of takes some nice two lane curvy roads from Orlando up to Plymoth, then up to Eustis, down through Howy-in-the-Hills, down to Groveland, the south of Clermont, and back up into south Ocoee (south west Orlando). If I recall, tt's about a 60 - 80 mile ride which can easily be done in 1-1/2 to 2 hours. I haven't figured out where we'll go for breakfast, but I'll post that up as well and anyone interested is certainly welcome to come join us.


  13. #28
    Registered User jdsdtourteam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    15

    Southern Florida rides

    Quote Originally Posted by TomBarnhart View Post
    Jon Here is a good ride suggestion. Get out of Orlando southbound through Kissimmee to St. Cloud. Pick up 523 south to 441 south. This is all rural road once you get through St Cloud. When you get to the town of Okeechobee you can continue south on 441 and go around the lake either clockwise or counterclockwise. Either way, it is a good days ride. When you get back to Okeechobee there is a place at about 11pm on the lake called OkeeTante Resort. They have a good restaurant..Lightseys. Or there are a lot of other places to eat in the town. At the south end of the lake is the Clewiston Inn. A great place for lunch--an old fashioned 30s style inn.

    If you really want to get a weekend ride, take 27 South at South Bay. This will connect with Krome Avenue, then on to Homestead. From there it is another 100 or so miles to Key West.
    Hi Tom,

    PERFECT! Thanks for this route idea! Sounds like a fine trip.

    We've taken 520 south to 192 and then 441 (at Holopaw) and down a few miles to some camp place that has Ecotours. (Nice riding - felt like being out in Nebraska...) We had a RTE for breakfast there. But have not ventured further south. I want to check out the Okeechobee Lake area. (Saw it mentioned in a Weather Channel storm story - I think - about when a hurricane came through 100+ years ago???)

    And thanks for the restaurant tips. - PERFECT 2!

    Yikes! It's been 26 years since I've been to Key West. Wife never has. We want to take a few days and ride down there (and stop in the Everglades NP. We were thinking fall/winter time frame???

    Jon

    2!
    1995 Honda ST1100
    2005 BMW K1200 LT (gone)
    2011 BMW R1200RT

  14. #29
    Registered User jdsdtourteam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by BernieEcht View Post
    Jon, there are plenty of good roads and small towns north of Orlando. You have the area between Deland, Howey-on-the-Hills, Ocala, Gainesville and Palatka.
    Then there is the horse farm country which is nice rolling hills. Look at roads that go east -west and not north-south. There are nice little towns , like Micanopy, Williston, Citra, Mount Dora, Clermont, or Astor Park. Have you ever gone to George Town. There is a very nice and curvy road that goes from US 17 to Denver and continues to George Town, there you can go north to Welaka and then circle back around to US 17. The state of FL hands out free maps and if that does not help, send me a PM and I e-mail you some GPS files , to keep you busy for a while, or longer. Of course do not let them Northerns know. After all there are no curves in FL.
    Bernie,

    Susan and I rode up through Ocala NF at the end of Bike Week. We took I-4 north to 44, then 42, and up along 19. Lot's of bikes all over. I really liked it through the forest. We had stopped for lunch in Palatka (busy town - least on the weekend!)
    Then we came down 17.

    I would like to go up there some more. Looked like a fishing capital (of sorts) along 17!


    We have not yet been to George Town area. Wife LOVES the Gulf side so a visit should is on the lists to do (or is it the Honey-Do list?).

    Thanks for the post!!

    (Have a zumo 550 - hint hint)

    Jon
    1995 Honda ST1100
    2005 BMW K1200 LT (gone)
    2011 BMW R1200RT

  15. #30
    Registered User jdsdtourteam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    15

    We have the need - for a RTE! (or even just a ride)

    Quote Originally Posted by vectorprime27 View Post
    Jon I'll post up a decent ride out of Orlando for you. As a matter of fact, it'll probably be the route we take on Sunday (weather permitting). The route I'm thinking of takes some nice two lane curvy roads from Orlando up to Plymoth, then up to Eustis, down through Howy-in-the-Hills, down to Groveland, the south of Clermont, and back up into south Ocoee (south west Orlando). If I recall, tt's about a 60 - 80 mile ride which can easily be done in 1-1/2 to 2 hours. I haven't figured out where we'll go for breakfast, but I'll post that up as well and anyone interested is certainly welcome to come join us.

    We are interested in coming along! After this week, I REALLY need a ride.

    We are over in Oviedo. So we would skip breakfast to ride over to meet and be ready to eat somewhere!

    Jon
    1995 Honda ST1100
    2005 BMW K1200 LT (gone)
    2011 BMW R1200RT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •