Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Performance awards at the Rally

Randy!

sorry to hear this.

you didn't crush your cigars or anything else serious like that, did you?

heal fast my friend.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Actually, I was carrying 3 dozen eggs, and I understand most of them survived, as did the 2 glass jars of jam. I also heard that the remaining eggs were put in a cooler at the campsite, which the raccoons broke into that night and ate. Maybe we shouldn't have gone shopping for eggs! And, Ian, the cigars were back at camp along with my pipes and tobacco. All being shipped home. Thanks, folks!
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    2,000 more miles and nothing not even a friendly chat. I don't know where I went wrong.
    Similar results. Rode 2,300+ miles in seven days consistenly @ 7 mph over any posted limit, and got nothing but smiles and waves from any trooper, officer, deputy or constable I passed.

I know from my career that @ 10 or more mph over the limit, you're fair game.

Enjoy the rest of summer!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Similar results. Rode 2,300+ miles in seven days consistenly @ 7 mph over any posted limit, and got nothing but smiles and waves from any trooper, officer, deputy or constable I passed.

I know from my career that @ 10 or more mph over the limit, you're fair game.

Enjoy the rest of summer!
    3200 miles and only comment from an Arkansas trooper was "Y'all picked a bad day to ride" at a gas stop near TX border as it was still raining...7 over was our average as well... Did have a ticket warning device that went off regularly,especially in LA ...but still was doing the 5-7 over at times and was unplugged in the all day rain ride across Arkansas anyways.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic View Post
    Actually, I was carrying 3 dozen eggs, and I understand most of them survived, as did the 2 glass jars of jam. I also heard that the remaining eggs were put in a cooler at the campsite, which the raccoons broke into that night and ate. Maybe we shouldn't have gone shopping for eggs! And, Ian, the cigars were back at camp along with my pipes and tobacco. All being shipped home. Thanks, folks!
    Randy,
    I'm sorry to hear about the accident...best wishes with the recovery.
    Mark Austin
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Knights of the Roundel

Damn Randy, THAT SUCKS! Glad to hear that The Family came through though and made sure that you were taken care of. Hope you feel better soon, and I hope you'll be riding again soon too.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Randy!
    Day'm!! I am so happy to hear you survived, we can always buy more stuff, right?
    You take care now, hea'h?

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    Got nailed about 30 minutes after crossing into Tennessee. I was passing a fully-loaded logging truck that was in the right (slow) lane going uphill. I was clocked doing 64 in a 50 zone. Fine's $143. I was riding two-up at the time. He said he could have nailed me for crossing a solid line as I completed my pass as the two right lanes merged into one. He was nice enough about it, but it seemed a little expensive. When he was finished with the paperwork he said, "you must be headed for that big BMW rally in Johnson City". I wonder how many times he got to use that one.
    That is a Bull**** ticket if I ever heard one. You were making a quick safe pass so that you would not have to follow an overloaded truck up a hill. Yeah that would have been much safer. Are tickets about safety or money? My bet is on money!

BTW I spent 2 weeks on the road between the MOA and RA Rallies and the only performance award I recieved was a kidney punch from my new Mrs. after one particuarly aggressive pass in WV. The red steaks in my urine reminded me to be more careful fromow on at least when she is on board! LOL

Rick G
    2004 BMW R 1150 GS - My Big Black Pig!
    2009 Triumph T100 - Neo Classic Retro Tourer.
    2009 Vespa GTS 250 Super - Just for Kicks and Giggles
    2009 Sym Fiddle II - For Sale

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickG View Post
    That is a Bull**** ticket if I ever heard one. You were making a quick safe pass so that you would not have to follow an overloaded truck up a hill. Yeah that would have been much safer. Are tickets about safety or money? My bet is on money!
    Rick G
    When you have multiple violations and you only get one ticket, you should be thankful. Many will give all of the tickets to out of state riders because they know they will not come back hundreds or thousands of miles to contest them.

Last summer, we were giving some folks from New Mexico and Texas the "four state ride" (it's only three states from my house) when one pulled out in a left turn lane to pass a car as we approached a small town. A State Trooper was sitting beside the road at that point and had no choice but to pull him over as there were multiple witnesses. He gave the BMW rider a choice of the ticket he would receive. He could choose between speeding, reckless driving or improper useage of a lane. He then explained the consequences of each and the rider chose the speeding ticket (much slower than his actual speed).
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Randy,
    Where did this happen?

We are at my inlaws just north of Morgantown and there was a picture in the local paper with a blurb about a motorcycle accident. It didn't really give specifics but it looked like a BMW laying on it's side. Couldn't tell the model tho.

Glad you are doing ok.

W Va Hwy 32 just north of Canaan Valley State Park, about 1-2 miles. Also found out the GS is totalled, along with the Explorer, but I was the only injury. So now let the fun and games begin. Everybody be careful out there.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic View Post
    No citation, but the bike(or what's left of the GS) is still in West Virginia. I got to fly home. Actually took 4 flights this week - first was over the bars and car that was stopped waiting to make a left turn just past the crest of a blind hill. Never saw it. Then the medevac flight, ~75 miles to the nearest trauma center. Released later that evening, bumps, bruises, and fractured pelvis. I'm up and vertical and able to walk and talk, just slowly and stiff. Then managed to get all my stuff found and shipped, then 2 flights to get home. Not a fun vacation. HOWEVER, I am humbled by the response of everybody I came into contact with afterwards, from the RA folks who found volunteers to drive the 75 miles to get me (in the dark dodging deer, on those delightful 2-lane mountain roads), to the folks who set up a bed in their cabin so I wouldn't have to sleep in my tent in my condition, to the kind lady who had parked her bike at her motel 30 miles away and had a rental car and put it and herself at my disposal and drove me the 3 hours to the airport, and I could go on. These are/were some of the same folks who were at the MOA rally. I often tell new members, "welcome to my family!" Well, this family came through for me, and I can't say Thank You to all of them, because that just doesn't make it. There's so much more. I can only hope that I can be of some service to them or anybody else in the future, and keep the karma going.

Ride safe!

Randy
    Randy is doing well. He came limping by to speak with me after I finished teaching a Basic Rider Course (MSF) last Saturday @ Lakeshore Technical College in Manitowoc County. He's stiff, but has his wits about him! He even spoke to our students and a class of perspective RiderCoaches about how thankful he was to be wearing helmet and protective clothing.

Here's hoping you heal fast!!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Yo Randy!

Tell us about your ATGATT and the dent you put in the car. I'm certain a lesser rider would have received much worse injureis or .... I think there can be some good come from you telling people about the wreck.
    Live this day.

HJC AC-15 helmet, Roadcrafter 2-piece, boots from the BMW dealer, and I forget what gloves I was wearing, as I had 2 pair with me. Stan, you and the others in the cabin examined the 'stich before it got packed. As far as what really happened, I have my ideas, but preferto wait until everything sorts out. I remember watching with eyes wide open, and then there's that time compression thing and I'm not sure what happened in what order. I was conscious all the time. I got lucky, no doubt about it.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Not a performance award from the local gendarme, but a new record for me new to worn out in 3 days. Should be a new award category, for stimulating the economy and tire makers.

Tires had 100 miles on them when I showed up in JC on Monday night, these were taken on Thursday night, luckily I brought some replacements.

Makeshift tire changing station