Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Performance awards at the Rally

RSPENNACHIO

Performance awards at the Rally

Who recieved a LEO performance award at the rally? (going to, durring or going home)

ATTENTION: For those bent on getting on top of your soap box and preaching about how unsafe speeding or this or that is on public raodways... Or about how you are so safe because you only do track days....don't. Go start your own post!

Last Thursday on the South end of 129 in North Carolina I recieved my award of 75 mph in a 60 mph zone. Trooper "whats-his-name" was very reasonable because I may have been going faster than 75mph

He did not want to force me to use any more vaction days to appear in court so he wrote it for 75mph. Anything over that and I would have had to go before the judge

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Got a performance award for my passing skills, south of Franklin NC. Trooper saw 3 of us and decided to follow in the distance, told us he figured he would catch us doing something sooner or later.

Aside from the profiling, he was reasonable and after he gave me my road tax slip, he gave us a guided tour of his hot rod Tahoe, lowered 8", big wide tires, 5+ liter high performance engine. A mean machine for sure, claimed it would do over 140mph.

A small price to pay for some of the great paved cow paths in the state. I was on a very nice road a day later that was getting a little rough, (about as rough as main street in an upstate NY city) so I thought I would put a note with my road tax payment and ask they apply the funds to repaving that road, so I can rip it up next time I am down

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    ...he gave us a guided tour of his hot rod Tahoe, lowered 8", big wide tires, 5+ liter high performance engine. A mean machine for sure, claimed it would do over 140mph.
    oh, those are the really nasty ones... really hard to notice since they're so stealth.

were you on us64?

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    oh, those are the really nasty ones... really hard to notice since they're so stealth.

were you on us64?
    No headed on small roads S of town, cutting across from 23, toward Walnut creek with the shortest route plugged into the GPS.

He saw us turn off of 23 on the small roads.

The engine roar was louder than the siren, sounded like it was going to suck the saddle bags off the bike.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    2,000 more miles and nothing not even a friendly chat. I don't know where I went wrong.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

On the 2nd day,on the way home,after behaving all day,spotted a sign for the motel I was planning on spending the night,figured I'd give the silver bullet a bit of free rein for the last mile.I spotted a LEO, hidin'in the bushes, about 1/4 of a mile from my exit,on came his lights,I got stopped'bout 100 yds from my exit. Luckily he reduced the speed to 89,in a 65,because,as he informed me,had he written me up for the 94MPH he clocked me at,he would've had to impound my scoot. Had to pay on the spot,which meant my Visa took a hit for $276.10 US,which comes in at $314. Cdn. Oh well,ya pays yer money,ya takes yer chances...
    Nose

Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    2,000 more miles and nothing not even a friendly chat. I don't know where I went wrong.
    Your a woman, works for my wife every time

Quote Originally Posted by Oznay View Post
    On the 2nd day,on the way home,after behaving all day,spotted a sign for the motel I was planning on spending the night,figured I'd give the silver bullet a bit of free rein for the last mile.I spotted a LEO, hidin'in the bushes, about 1/4 of a mile from my exit,on came his lights,I got stopped'bout 100 yds from my exit. Luckily he reduced the speed to 89,in a 65,because,as he informed me,had he written me up for the 94MPH he clocked me at,he would've had to impound my scoot. Had to pay on the spot,which meant my Visa took a hit for $276.10 US,which comes in at $314. Cdn. Oh well,ya pays yer money,ya takes yer chances...
    They have card swipers now?

The bumble bee got stung now did it???
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Wide open all through NC, SC, Eastern TN, and N. GA. Not one patrol car other than GA commercial vehicle enforcement - does a loaded GS Tractor count?

140? In a Tahoe PP1 - Bullcheez. 120s tops. 128 is top for the CVPI P71 (Crown Vic).

The Radio - 300,000km / sec. Beat that.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler73 View Post

140? In a Tahoe PP1 - Bullcheez. 120s tops. 128 is top for the CVPI P71 (Crown Vic).
    I'm betting that was a souped up confiscated model!

I gave the "I'm at the end of the last trip of its kind for a while on my way to the airport to return to my pregnant wife" speech. He let me go with a warning.

East of Hartford, CT.

Got nailed about 30 minutes after crossing into Tennessee. I was passing a fully-loaded logging truck that was in the right (slow) lane going uphill. I was clocked doing 64 in a 50 zone. Fine's $143. I was riding two-up at the time. He said he could have nailed me for crossing a solid line as I completed my pass as the two right lanes merged into one. He was nice enough about it, but it seemed a little expensive. When he was finished with the paperwork he said, "you must be headed for that big BMW rally in Johnson City". I wonder how many times he got to use that one.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    No citation, but the bike(or what's left of the GS) is still in West Virginia. I got to fly home. Actually took 4 flights this week - first was over the bars and car that was stopped waiting to make a left turn just past the crest of a blind hill. Never saw it. Then the medevac flight, ~75 miles to the nearest trauma center. Released later that evening, bumps, bruises, and fractured pelvis. I'm up and vertical and able to walk and talk, just slowly and stiff. Then managed to get all my stuff found and shipped, then 2 flights to get home. Not a fun vacation. HOWEVER, I am humbled by the response of everybody I came into contact with afterwards, from the RA folks who found volunteers to drive the 75 miles to get me (in the dark dodging deer, on those delightful 2-lane mountain roads), to the folks who set up a bed in their cabin so I wouldn't have to sleep in my tent in my condition, to the kind lady who had parked her bike at her motel 30 miles away and had a rental car and put it and herself at my disposal and drove me the 3 hours to the airport, and I could go on. These are/were some of the same folks who were at the MOA rally. I often tell new members, "welcome to my family!" Well, this family came through for me, and I can't say Thank You to all of them, because that just doesn't make it. There's so much more. I can only hope that I can be of some service to them or anybody else in the future, and keep the karma going.

Ride safe!

Randy
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Rally Rat
    Randy,

So sorry to hear about the accident...but happy to hear that you are safe at home. Your family of riders came through and I know had it been someone else you would have done the same for them. Good karma.....

Heal fast. There's more riding to be done this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic View Post
    No citation, but the bike(or what's left of the GS) is still in West Virginia. I got to fly home. Actually took 4 flights this week - first was over the bars and car that was stopped waiting to make a left turn just past the crest of a blind hill. Never saw it. Then the medevac flight, ~75 miles to the nearest trauma center. Released later that evening, bumps, bruises, and fractured pelvis. I'm up and vertical and able to walk and talk, just slowly and stiff. Then managed to get all my stuff found and shipped, then 2 flights to get home. Not a fun vacation. HOWEVER, I am humbled by the response of everybody I came into contact with afterwards, from the RA folks who found volunteers to drive the 75 miles to get me (in the dark dodging deer, on those delightful 2-lane mountain roads), to the folks who set up a bed in their cabin so I wouldn't have to sleep in my tent in my condition, to the kind lady who had parked her bike at her motel 30 miles away and had a rental car and put it and herself at my disposal and drove me the 3 hours to the airport, and I could go on. These are/were some of the same folks who were at the MOA rally. I often tell new members, "welcome to my family!" Well, this family came through for me, and I can't say Thank You to all of them, because that just doesn't make it. There's so much more. I can only hope that I can be of some service to them or anybody else in the future, and keep the karma going.

Ride safe!

Randy
    Wow, Randy, what a bummer! How great you that you had some really good folk looking out for you!

Get well, soon, man.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia