Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BMWNA involvement in the Rally??????

BMWNA involvement in the Rally??????

Connie / Vance,

Does BMWNA contribute financially in these rallies? And if they do, how much do they pony up?

I loved the Rally........Best one I ever attended by a long shot. But that "BMW Commercial" at the closing ceremony was very weak. If BMWNA was a major financial supporter, then it was fine and appropriate. If they did not contribute, they should have drawn a ticket for that bike..............

I would also like to know if BMWNA supplied the two bikes that were given away or financially contributed in any way with that part of the event.........

Great job folks! Thanks a million!
    RoyB....
    2007 BMW K1200R Sport (abs),2007 Suzuki dl650 V Strom (abs),2004 Honda VFR (abs),1972 Honda Trail 90,
    2001 Moto Guzzi V-11 Rosso Mandello

Or paid a vendor fee.

If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

I was talking to some folks at the rally about BMWNA. I thought they should have the CEO walk around the rally (undercover) and get the "pulse" or the BMW owners. Too often the top guy(s) at BMWNA have used the position as a steping stone to move into the car division.
    Mike Barfield - Plant City, FL
    '07 R1200 GS - '75 R90/6 - '93 R100GS PD - '71 R60/5 - 2 X '73 R75/5 LWB - '83 R80 ST
    Picts

Quote Originally Posted by subagon View Post
    I was talking to some folks at the rally about BMWNA. I thought they should have the CEO walk around the rally (undercover) and get the "pulse" or the BMW owners. Too often the top guy(s) at BMWNA have used the position as a steping stone to move into the car division.
    This one did.

BMW pays a vendor fee and provides demo rides, brings out Teach and a bunch of other things.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Don't forget the awesome demonstrations - bringing those guys and the big trailer couldn't have been cheap. Still amazed at the ease with which that rider tossed around that F800GS!
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Quote Originally Posted by subagon View Post
    they sponsored the GS Challenge, too.

fwiw, the new CEO is committed to keeping close to the current faithful.

he clearly sees how their current customers can help them win new ones.

now, whether he's gunning for a car spot or not, hard to say.....

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    whether he's gunning for a car spot or not, hard to say.....

ian

Aren't they all?
    Last edited by GSfornow; 07-23-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GSfornow View Post
    Aren't they all?
    My understanding is that Pieter wanted to run the NA motorcycle division. In a speech he delivered at last year's ON contributor's dinner, he clearly stated that he is a motorcycle guy and has no aspirations of moving to the car side.

Based on that and what we've seen happening with our relationship with BMW, I think he's telling us the truth. In our discussions with BMW and with Pieter, it's clear that there's a very different wind blowing through Woodcliff Lake, NJ.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Everyone wants to succeed and ascend.
    To expect anyone, Pieter, et. al. to deny themselves so to stay in the MC division is somewhat naive.
    That being said I am most appreciative of efforts made by BMW NA to enhance our rally experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    To expect anyone, Pieter, et. al. to deny themselves so to stay in the MC division is somewhat naive.
    Bzzzp. Not true for everyone by a long shot. My boss has way more authority than I do, greater presteige, and makes more than twice my salary. I have no interest in her position, and wouldn't apply if she were to retire. Some of us have desires that are fulfilled at other than stratospheric rank.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

True indeed, point taken.
    Each has their own definition of success.

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    I also don't see the car side as the only option -- he can still advance while staying in the MC ranks, either by stepping up to the next larger MC country (or region) distribution division after BMW NA (e.g., Germany) or by moving up within the BMW AG MC division, perhaps with the aim of running the MC part of BMW AG some day.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    My understanding is that Pieter wanted to run the NA motorcycle division. In a speech he delivered at last year's ON contributor's dinner, he clearly stated that he is a motorcycle guy and has no aspirations of moving to the car side.

Based on that and what we've seen happening with our relationship with BMW, I think he's telling us the truth. In our discussions with BMW and with Pieter, it's clear that there's a very different wind blowing through Woodcliff Lake, NJ.

I have not had the opportunity to have wine and cheese with the gentleman, has he always been on the motorcycle side? Where was he previously? As to how long he stays and where he goes time will tell. It certainly would be a nice change.

Quote Originally Posted by GSfornow View Post
    I have not had the opportunity to have wine and cheese with the gentleman, has he always been on the motorcycle side? Where was he previously? As to how long he stays and where he goes time will tell. It certainly would be a nice change.
    He was the head of BMW's motorcycling operations in S. Africa prior to coming here. I believe he had a tenure of several years in that position before requesting to come to the US.

If you have a chance to talk with him, he's clearly "one of us".
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    He was the head of BMW's motorcycling operations in S. Africa prior to coming here. I believe he had a tenure of several years in that position before requesting to come to the US.

If you have a chance to talk with him, he's clearly "one of us".

I'll look him up the next time I am down at corporate.