Thread: Rally Exit SNAFU?

Chromehead

Rally Exit SNAFU?

This was my first rally and I had a blast! The people were great, the riding was spectacular and the organizers did a great job!
    I was just wondering why everyone riding out had to exit through crowds of foot traffic (past the vendors)? It seems that once some folks start walking they stop paying attention. Barrels were blocking the obvious way out. Or a route behind the vendors.
    Seemed kinda dumb and dangerous.

Otherwise, it was great to see so many folks having a good time, and to see so many different bikes.

Until the supposed adults who wander inattentively along the roadways learn to pay at least a modicum of attention to their surroundings we will have these problems. If my grandsons acted like this they would be grounded in the basement with no TV, no gizmos, and only food and water. I saw folks walk aimlessly across roads right in front of bikes; I saw one rider who had to stop on a hill with a wicked cross slope dump his bike because a wandering walker suddenly just stopped and turned while in front of him.

Whether with a towel, or a cup, or reading the program, or whatever, many of the walkers at the rally were truly unconscious.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I was told that the obvious way out was the original plan, but the intersection was on a hill and somewhat blind. Law enforcement deemed it unsafe.
    Frank G.
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    2004 R1150RT

bike junkie...
    As a driver of the shuttle for three hours on Saturday, I can tell you the number of people who walked right out into traffic without looking was amazing.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFrank View Post
    I was told that the obvious way out was the original plan, but the intersection was on a hill and somewhat blind. Law enforcement deemed it unsafe.
    I camped in the corner next to the natural exit that was blocked off. The intersection was terrible for a motorcycle. I watched a rider try to come in that way even though it was blocked. He dropped his bike in the middle of the road in the rain. A nice neighbor came out and helped him pick it up. I appreciated the blocked road. I could sit in the quiet and watch the 2 ponies and one donkey in the field across the road.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFrank View Post
    Yes, it was a safety consideration and parking was also prohibited in that area for possible ambulance access.
    Mark Austin
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Knights of the Roundel

DZIMBRIC
    We exited the Rally after the interseciton was opened and it was not a nice intersection. A stop sign on a hill with oncoming downhill traffic was not a good combination, and then Garmin routed us through the same situation twice more before we made the exit road.

Closing that route was definitely a good call on management's part.

NE Arkansas - Between Goobertown and Buck Snort
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Until the supposed adults who wander inattentively along the roadways learn to pay at least a modicum of attention to their surroundings we will have these problems. If my grandsons acted like this they would be grounded in the basement with no TV, no gizmos, and only food and water. I saw folks walk aimlessly across roads right in front of bikes; I saw one rider who had to stop on a hill with a wicked cross slope dump his bike because a wandering walker suddenly just stopped and turned while in front of him.

Whether with a towel, or a cup, or reading the program, or whatever, many of the walkers at the rally were truly unconscious.
    It's astonishing that some folks can ride a motorcycle hundreds of miles to the rally and then turn into unconscious morons when they are afoot.
    John M. Flora
    '03 K1200GT, '94 K75S
    MOA # 23538, RA # 16295, AMA Life Member
    Secret Squadron # SQ24418

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

This is what a streible air horn is for!
    Jason
    Give a hand. http://www.akitas.org