Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rally Sucked

The Rally Sucked

Let's put all the negative feedback about the rally in one thread... this will make it easier to improve processes going forward.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

mikeinohio
    Okay, I'm game..

This was my first rally. I am the guy perhaps a few of you saw sleeping outside a men's room on Wednesday night, on a wooden bench, because I'm not camping in a field when I see lightening in the air.

I had a pretty good time. I found no problems with the porta-johns. I haven't camped in 20 plus years but I remembered to bring extra toilet paper, although I didn't need it.

I found the traffic manageable.

The folks selling the cantelope and fresh fruit on the road toward the beer tent were great-that was kick-a--- cantelope and it was nice to be able to get fresh fruit at the site.

I never saw so many hi-viz colored jackets in one place. It was refreshing.

So many people had really nice bikes. Harley and cruiser riders chrome their machines-BMW riders electrify them.

My ONLY complaint is this--I was by myself, and I wore my little "#1" pin when I was there. I'm a socialble guy but I guess my only disappointment was that not a lot of people went out of their way to say "hi" or speak to me unless I initiated the conversation. It seemed a lot of you knew one another and I felt like an outsider the whole time I was there. I know there was a lot of cathing up to do among friends but I guess, well I don't know, it was a slight turn-off.

Otherwise, thanks for the good time and thanks to the volunteers who made it all possible.

I guess my dearly departed aunt would remind me to never criticize without offering solutions so here is mine-perhaps at future rallys there could be some sort of a special area in the beer tent or somewhere for first timers or lone riders to socialize with other first time attendees or lone riders, a place where some rally veteran volunteers could talk to us and help break the ice and learn the ropes. Thank you
    Last edited by mikeinohio; 07-20-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: added last part

maggie1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinohio View Post
    Okay, I'm game..

This was my first rally. I am the guy perhaps a few of you saw sleeping outside a men's room on Wednesday night, on a wooden bench, because I'm not camping in a field when I see lightening in the air.

I had a pretty good time. I found no problems with the porta-johns. I haven't camped in 20 plus years but I remembered to bring extra toilet paper, although I didn't need it.

I found the traffic manageable.

The folks selling the cantelope and fresh fruit on the road toward the beer tent were great-that was kick-a--- cantelope and it was nice to be able to get fresh fruit at the site.

I never saw so many hi-viz colored jackets in one place. It was refreshing.

So many people had really nice bikes. Harley and cruiser riders chrome their machines-BMW riders electrify them.

My ONLY complaint is this--I was by myself, and I wore my little "#1" pin when I was there. I'm a socialble guy but I guess my only disappointment was that not a lot of people went out of their way to say "hi" or speak to me unless I initiated the conversation. It seemed a lot of you knew one another and I felt like an outsider the whole time I was there. I know there was a lot of cathing up to do among friends but I guess, well I don't know, it was a slight turn-off.

Otherwise, thanks for the good time and thanks to the volunteers who made it all possible.
    I've been to three MOA rallies, and this one was the best.

I saw a bunch of 1 pins, but didn't know what they were until I asked someone Saturday night. Maybe if there had been a sign on the vendor row with the 1 on it letting everyone know these were new MOA members, more people would have said something to you.

I just thought the 1 pins indicated that there was now one more group that was excluding me.

scqtt
    Every part of the social side of motorcycling has cliques.

Yes, there are tons of people that love to talk to the "new" people, be thankful they did not find you because they tend to be the most annoying.

Only because I wasn't able to be there. Otherwise I know I would be posting in the Rally Rocked area.
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT

Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    A couple of quickies, realizing it is, of course, too late for this year!

Volunteer. You'll meet your co-workers as well as other attendees.

Spend a bit of time before the rally connecting with your local (or even virtual) club.
    They are often organizing rides to the site and club gatherings during the event.
    Are you on MOA Forums? Attend Forum Frenzy in the Beer Garden.
    Ride an Airhead? They had comfy chairs and a hospitality tent in the camping area.
    IBMWR and the Chain Gang doubtless had gatherings as well.

File it for next year.
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60

beemerdon
    Okay, I'll jump in here. I thought it was nuts to route ALL traffic thru the vendor area. On the plus side, the one way rule was a good idea. But on the down side, the one-way rule routed you OUT of the fairgrounds (had to wear your helmet just to go to the shower) and then back into the grounds. On the plus side, there was plenty of green grassy areas on which to set up the tent. But, they were on a 30% slope!

I especially liked the way they paved the interstate intersection on the first day of the rally; go TNDOT!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinohio View Post
    I guess my dearly departed aunt would remind me to never criticize without offering solutions so here is mine-perhaps at future rallys there could be some sort of a special area in the beer tent or somewhere for first timers or lone riders to socialize with other first time attendees or lone riders, a place where some rally veteran volunteers could talk to us and help break the ice and learn the ropes. Thank you
    thanks, mike.

that #1 pin was an idea that originated in the ambassador group a couple rallies ago. the goal was to make new people feel welcome.

we have to get better at making everyone aware of what that pin means. perhaps a short article in the magazine next year.

perhaps a prize of some sort for welcoming the "special" #1....

ian

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    I've been to three MOA rallies, and this one was the best.

I saw a bunch of 1 pins, but didn't know what they were until I asked someone Saturday night. Maybe if there had been a sign on the vendor row with the 1 on it letting everyone know these were new MOA members, more people would have said something to you.

I just thought the 1 pins indicated that there was now one more group that was excluding me.

oh, so THAT is what the girl with the #1 pin who stole my hat at the beer garden, spun me around for a picture, called me a hottie then whispered something unintelligible into my ear.....................all in front of my fiance of 4 hours was up to!

weather

jeez. can't the rally chairs control a simple thing like the weather?

seriously, one thing i felt could be improved upon is the closing ceremonies.... good LORD that thing is long and boring.

Picnic tables in the food vender area would have been nice.
    Titan Silver 2009 R1200RT
    Red 2010 Honda Elite 110

.... and as I shifted into sixth gear, I couldn't remember a thing she said ....

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    oh, so THAT is what the girl with the #1 pin who stole my hat at the beer garden, spun me around for a picture, called me a hottie then whispered something unintelligible into my ear.....................all in front of my fiance of 4 hours was up to!
    now that was the funniest moment of the rally. The look on your SO's face

I just found the whole thing to be too overwhelming... and I live in Manhattan. Too many people shook my hand and gave me beers.

To have done differently had I known: I would have gotten an RV like my bro, Visian

First, THANK YOU to all the organizers and the volunteers.

My loving wife and I had a great time. While we missed the Bean tour due to being land locked by our neighbors, we still had a great time hanging out in the vendor areas.

I found a passage on the back side of the vendors that funneled me to the exit.

Beer garden, I wish there was a food vendor or two nearer.

TP was in short supply up on the hill at times. We had to breath thru our mouths whenever walking near the portapotty near the Airheads.

Looking back, we enjoyed Grey and the whole area. My heart has never been blessed as much as it was there!
    Rob Lessen

'07 R12RT
    '14 R12RT LC

cgragg

Thumbs up Who Won The Bikes ?

Any one know where you can find out who won the bikes ? Had to leave Mid day Saturday.Had a great time!!!!!

I wish I had been there to enjoy the suck-i-ness. Unfortunately family obligations kept me away.

But, I did register to go, and subsequently donate my registration fee to your bad time.

a more serious note:

Were recycling bins provided? I notice earlier this year at that the Grand Prix of St. Petersburg - a dozen beer (can) vendors and no recycleing bins, eventhought that race series promotes/runs on straight ethanol.
    .................................................. ..................................
    IBA #50026

www.devilrays.com