Thread: How much cash?

How much cash?

So understanding that everyone vacations differently, I'm curious how much cash I need to bring? It would appear the vendors take plastic, and I imagine most of the gas stations/eateries in the area do as well. But I'm not from the area, so don't know for sure. Also this is my first rally (if you couldn't tell from my other stupid question I asked), so don't know what the pricing is on food inside the rally area.

Can I get away with bringing, say, $50 in emergency cash, and put everything else on plastic?

Maybe some of the more experienced rally-goers have some experiences to share?

As always, I thank you for your time.

third rally newby

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    So understanding that everyone vacations differently, I'm curious how much cash I need to bring? It would appear the vendors take plastic, and I imagine most of the gas stations/eateries in the area do as well. But I'm not from the area, so don't know for sure. Also this is my first rally (if you couldn't tell from my other stupid question I asked), so don't know what the pricing is on food inside the rally area.

Can I get away with bringing, say, $50 in emergency cash, and put everything else on plastic?

Maybe some of the more experienced rally-goers have some experiences to share?

As always, I thank you for your time.
    Food Vendors like a fast cash transaction, but previous rallies have had a cash machine ATM close by. (BURP)

With BBQ as a main focus of many of us, it would have been JUST PLAIN SILLY for the planners of this Rally NOT to include BBQ vendor at the rally site? Right?

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I usually take a couple of hundred "just in case" but I usually have over half left when I get home. Some fo the backroad stores and restaurants do business on a cash only basis. Even if they do take credit cards, the dial-up and slow connections hold up the line at the cash registers.

Ken
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Now that my bank doesn't charge me ATM fees, I need little cash in my pocket when I start a trip.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

I'm at the rally site already. Plenty of ATM machines just down the road. Lots of places to eat and grocery store nearby. I'm not sure how it could be any better!
    RoyB....
    2007 BMW K1200R Sport (abs),2007 Suzuki dl650 V Strom (abs),2004 Honda VFR (abs),1972 Honda Trail 90,
    2001 Moto Guzzi V-11 Rosso Mandello

I usually budget $50 cash for the beer tent.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Brase View Post

John
    You're not leaving the martini shaker at home are you?
    Dallas
    2011 R1200GS Adventure
    Smoke Grey Metallic Matt

Thumbs down Who needs cash?

As soon as my bank stopped changing ATM fees I stop carrying cash. If a merchant balks or does not accept it I move on. I carry a 20 dollar bill for emergencies.
    Ron
    Ride whatever makes you smile! Every bike has it's own issues, problems and annoyances...

RTDoug
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brase View Post

John
    Cutting back John?

How you been?